***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,752 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Hi, Im Brett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cole wasn't at his best, maybe that means Greinke will be lights out this series
Oyster DuPree
AG
Deluxe said:

The loss hurts, but I think we can all agree that Tucker's big time clutch performance made it all worth it. Great piece of hitting on the base knock to center field. Took second on a heads up tag play. Then uses his jets to score from second. Kyle Tucker represented all that is right about the 2019 Astros tonight.

TED was clutch
AggiEE
Hi, Im Brett said:

Cole wasn't at his best, maybe that means Greinke will be lights out this series

Probably less risk of a home run since they won't be able to sit on the high fastball
Ag_07
AG
I still think we're letting pitchers get away with too many mistakes.

Watching or fouling off 92 mph middle up FBs and belt high sliders.

We have to be better at hitting mistakes and punishing pitchers for them.
Goose83
AG
Prosperdick said:

Look at it this way, Cole pitches like that in game 7 against the Yankees and we likely don't advance.
We really dodged a bullet on that one.
eATMup-Reveille
Bregxit said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Wasn't able to post during the game and couldn't read the thread, so was probably already disappoitned, but our base running outside of Tucker's tag-up, sucked.

If Springer is legging it out instead of watching his pretty fly ball, he ends up at third and we're in the 10th inning right now.

If Springer legs it out he is hung up between 1st and 2nd because Tucker was standing on 2nd tagging up.

BS!!!
Ag12thman
AG
I'm worried about Verlander tomorrow. He has not been sharp his last two outings.
tboag
AG
The offense is only relying on HR's. Everyone is up there swinging out of the shoes except Yuli and Brantley. K's are up, and we have left a small army on base. It's a bad recipe that's been bailed out by Cole and Verlander. If Verlander is shaky tomorrow, this series is over, and it might not get back to Houston.
Beat40
Ag12thman said:

I'm worried about Verlander tomorrow. He has not been sharp his last two outings.

As long as his high fastball has good life, he'll be fine.
AggiEE
Deluxe said:

The loss hurts, but I think we can all agree that Tucker's big time clutch performance made it all worth it. Great piece of hitting on the base knock to center field. Took second on a heads up tag play. Then uses his jets to score from second. Kyle Tucker represented all that is right about the 2019 Astros tonight.

Beat40
tboag said:

The offense is only relying on HR's. Everyone is up there swinging out of the shoes except Yuli and Brantley. K's are up, and we have left a small army on base. It's a bad recipe that's been bailed out by Cole and Verlander. If Verlander is shaky tomorrow, this series is over, and it might not get back to Houston.

Would you agree there was also some bad luck on some of the balls hit tonight?
Buck Compton
AG
Just so much bull**** in this game. God, this team can be maddening. Completely uninspired performance today. They need to clear their heads and show up to play tomorrow as a completely different team.

Springer and Yuli were pretty much the lone bright spots. Here's all the **** that went wrong:

Umpires:
- Catcher's interference
- Strike call against Brantley in B8 that was further outside than any other strike called all night. Completely changed the AB in a crucial situation.

Base running:
- Brantley not running fast through second on 2 outs when he could have scored
- George pimping his long fly ball instead of running it out (Tucker never should have been back all the to touch second, either)

Pitching:
- Cole not being able to come close to the zone, trying to battle back and gave up some hits
- Cole getting ahead and then inexplicably throwing meatballs. You just can't give up 5 as a SP in the World Series

Hitting:
- Multiple non-competitive ABs with RISP. You don't always have to come through with a hit, but for the love of all that is holy at least put up a fight
- Bregman and Correa with 3 strikeouts each. They didn't even show up to the park to play today.
- 12 total strikeouts from the team that struck out the fewest times during the regular season
- Sequencing. Alvarez reverts still the complete wrong time. Great ABs until the bases are juiced, then he goes down on three pitches.
- watching or fouling off multiple meatballs all night they made Cole pay and we didn't make them.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, and they better clean this **** up or else they'll quickly find themselves down 0-2 going on the road. If that happens, I doubt this gets back to Houston
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag12thman said:

As long as his high fastball has good life, he'll be fine.

His only problem last game was coming out way too amped up for some reason. When his first pitch was 97-98 I had a bad feeling and it was confirmed. Whenever he is overthrowing he cannot locate anything and loses tons of movement.

Once he chilled out he was great. Need him to start out calm tomorrow.
rgt99
The team needs to relax and just have fun. Top to bottom we are a better team. Soto is just playing mind games with his antics, trying to get in our head. If you want to send a msg. Throw a high fast ball inside. It will change his way of thinking, and will let him know we are not ****ing around anymore
iBrad
AG
Definitely. At some point, things have to balance out and we bloop something for a single to score some runs. The last two series, we've had hard contact with RISP with nothing to show for it.

But the strikeouts with runners on really hurt. Those have no chance of finding a hole.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm going tomorrow, wearing the same stuff I've worn for all game 2s (that we have won). I will also make several offerings to Jobu
the last of the bohemians
Seriously, a lot of you don't believe this astros team can take 4 of 5 against the nationals when they finished taking 4 of 5 against the Yankees.
AggiEE
Quote:

(Tucker never should have been back all the to touch second, either)

I don't agree....Tucker tagging ensured that the run scored.

If he doesn't tag and the ball is caught (which there is a GOOD chance it could have been) then he likely doesn't score because he has to get back to 2nd and then tag.

It was absolutely a heads up base running move. I do not know what the announcers were smoking.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
rgt99 said:

The team needs to relax and just have fun. Top to bottom we are a better team. Soto is just playing mind games with his antics, trying to get in our head. If you want to send a msg. Throw a high fast ball inside. It will change his way of thinking, and will let him know we are not ****ing around anymore
I think you throw two in a row up and in on Soto tomorrow and the pound away. If he walks, he walks...
AggiEE
the last of the bohemians said:

Seriously, a lot of you don't believe this astros team can take 4 of 5 against the nationals when they finished taking 4 of 5 against the Yankees.

I'm honestly not worried.

Soto is playing out of his absolute mind in the playoffs.. There's a BIG dropoff after him...

Simple solution: don't pitch to him. Give him nothing but borderline pitches like the Yankees did to Bregman.

The guy scored 3 of their runs tonight, he is a one man show. Take him out of the picture and their offense is NOT good....I don't care if he ends up walking, our pitching has enough talent to deal with the occasional guy on first. I feel like the ego of our Cy Youngs may get in the way of that approach, though...sadly.
Beat40
In regards to Soto, I think we will make the right adjustment.

We didnt' let Torres beat us after his great game 1 performance. I'm sure we'll figure out what we need to do with Soto.
HossAg
AG
DVC2010 said:

96ags said:

Bregman saw good pitches tonight because Yuli is heating up.....

He did nothing with it.

Bregman saw no more than 2 good pitches tonight. Standing in stadium crowds now, but I'll fact check that later.

You had a ****ty view then.
threeanout
AG
AggiEE said:

Quote:

If he doesn't tag and the ball is caught (which there is a GOOD chance it could have been) then he likely doesn't score because he has to get back to 2nd and then tag.

It was absolutely a heads up base running move. I do not know what the announcers were smoking.
Have a hard time following what you are attempting to say.
Beat40
HossAg said:

DVC2010 said:

96ags said:

He did nothing with it.

Bregman saw no more than 2 good pitches tonight. Standing in stadium crowds now, but I'll fact check that later.

DVC2010 posted all of the ball's Bregman saw in tonight's game. There were 2 that were really good and only 1 other that was remotely good.

Did you even look at the thread before making this comment?
Ags #1
AG
So john smoltz has no idea what he is talking about?
iBrad
AG
In the game of baseball, I wouldn't be surprised if we got swept or came back to win the next four. Anything can happen.

There's no magic formula for sequencing. It just happens. You can't make the ball find a gap. You just try to put a good swing on it and whatever happens happens.

I'm not worried, but we do have some guys that need to put up better at bats if we want to improve our chances of winning.
cevans_40
AG
AggiEE said:

Quote:

With 1 out when the flyball was hit, tagging and getting to 3rd with 2 outs is basically the same as being on 2nd with 2 outs. Tucker should have gone as far as possible while ensuring he could get back to 2nd if the ball was caught and Springer should have ended up on 3rd after the miss.
Beat40
threeanout said:

AggiEE said:

Quote:

The thing the announcers did seem to miss on that play was that if he didn't go back to tag, he couldn't have gotten to 3rd if it was caught.

I'm not sure there was a GOOD chance the ball would have been caught, but I do think Tucker played it correctly. Even if he would have hung out between 2nd and 3rd, best he could do in that situation was to be on 2nd only.
AggiEE
threeanout said:

AggiEE said:

Quote:

2 scenarios:

1. Tucker standing on second...ball is caught, he scores. Ball is dropped, he scores.

2. Tucker NOT standing on second....ball is caught, he races back to second to tag and may not have enough time to score.
Ags #1
AG
Blue star for you
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Are you saying Tucker would have tagged from 2nd, to score?
the last of the bohemians
If Verlander wins tomorrow I doubt this series goes 7 games. If he loses, I like Greinke 's odds in game 7.
Beat40
AggiEE said:

threeanout said:

AggiEE said:

Quote:

2 scenarios:

1. Tucker standing on second...ball is caught, he scores. Ball is dropped, he scores.

2. Tucker NOT standing on second....ball is caught, he races back to second to tag and may not have enough time to score.

Here's the problem with your first scenario - if it's caught, he does not score. He's only on 3rd.

Edit to say that the only way Tucker ensures he scores is if he does what cevans_40 says by only going as far as he knows he can go and to still be able to get back to 2nd if it's caught.
AggiEE
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Are you saying Tucker would have tagged from 2nd?

That ball was hit deep, the play was difficult (possibly requiring the guy to dive, or jump to make a play). he would be VERY off balance...and Tucker is very fast.

I guess it's not a 100% sure thing, but given the difficulty of a catch in that scenario (let alone a catch + a clean throw), I think it's pretty likely.
HossAg
AG
Beat40 said:

HossAg said:

DVC2010 said:

96ags said:

He did nothing with it.

DVC2010 posted all of the ball's Bregman saw in tonight's game. There were 2 that were really good and only 1 other that was remotely good.

Did you even look at the thread before making this comment?

I don't need to see that to know what I saw and know that Bregman isn't playing well. He's not fighting deep into the count, he's taking anything on the corners, and he just looks less confident. If you can't tell he's not playing as well, then you're just lying to yourself.
First Page Last Page
Page 1754 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.