***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,059 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie813
Marvin said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The fact that this screamer is so upset about AJ's plan makes me all the more confident...

I love how he thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Tanaka wins tomorrow but that the yanks "qiute possibly" could beat Verlander. New Yorker mentality: our guy is untouchable but yours isn't. Funny
gigemJTH12
AG
Marvin said:

This series comes down to two simple things for me, and a positive response in either area likely ends it in the Astros favor:

1. Greinke in Game 4
2. Offense with RISP

for me its hitting Tanaka. If you do this and do it well you do two things:

• probably go up 3-1
  • start a stretch of 4 possible games where the Yankees use a crap load of bullpen arms

Hit Tanaka. Beat him up and score 5 runs. You do that and the next 3.5 games are insanely tough on the Yankees.

Hit Tanaka and youre probably going to the World Series.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I refuse to hear any argument regarding the World Series until we are in the World Series.
spadilly
S
aggie813 said:

I wonder if Vincent Vega is at Yankee stadium today?

Page 1499
bearkatag15
AG

Jomboy's podcast that attempts to go more down the middle vs just purely Yankees fanboy talk. Talk recap of both LCS games yesterday and then the game 4 rainout and rest of the ALCS strategy.
irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I refuse to hear any argument regarding the World Series until we are in the World Series.
THIS
gigemJTH12
AG
couple of things on Tanaka:

1) he is 30 years old. wtf. I thought he looked about 45.

2) he gave up 4+ runs in 13 starts this year out of 31.13!!! We are the Houston damn Astros. He got us the other day. But we are about to mash this dude. Its coming.
Ag_07
AG
How many pages did our 2017 thread have? I remember it being a top viewed page for that year.
Prosperdick
AG
aggie813 said:

Marvin said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The fact that this screamer is so upset about AJ's plan makes me all the more confident...

I love how he thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Tanaka wins tomorrow but that the yanks "qiute possibly" could beat Verlander. New Yorker mentality: our guy is untouchable but yours isn't. Funny
I think everyone is getting caught up in how well Tanaka pitched in game 1, and he did although he was the beneficiary of some borderline calls (that Grienke didn't get) but I think facing Tanaka a second time gives us more of an advantage than facing a pitching savant like Grienke with 5 or 6 pitch repertoire.

If we can lay off Tanaka's slop or foul it off I think we can go the other way and really hurt him (especially our righties). Also, if Alvarez can can go the other way he can hit a gapper for an easy double....but he's so messed up right now who knows.
bearkatag15
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

couple of things on Tanaka:

1) he is 30 years old. wtf. I thought he looked about 45.

2) he gave up 4+ runs in 13 starts this year out of 31.13!!! We are the Houston damn Astros. He got us the other day. But we are about to mash this dude. Its coming.
Not to mention, in non post season games Astros have hit Tanaka very very well.

Harry Stone
AG
It's interesting to me how the media is bashing Boone's approach through 3 games regarding the bullpen. In game 1, Tanaka went 6 innings and only had 60 something pitches, however the Yanks already had a 5-0 lead going into the bottom of the 7th, and with their pen, why not pull Tanaka at that point. Game 2 it was obvious Paxton didn't bring his A game. Had he been left in another 2-3 innings, i think the Astros blow them out. And game 3, Severino threw 97 pitches. So I still don't know why he is getting hammered on his approach to the series.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

How many pages did our 2017 thread have? I remember it being a top viewed page for that year.
2018 had 44K posts and 2.0M eyes
2017 had 60K posts and 3.6M eyes
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

aggie813 said:

Marvin said:

Teddy Perkins said:

I think everyone is getting caught up in how well Tanaka pitched in game 1, and he did although he was the beneficiary of some borderline calls (that Grienke didn't get) but I think facing Tanaka a second time gives us more of an advantage than facing a pitching savant like Grienke with 5 or 6 pitch repertoire.

If we can lay off Tanaka's slop or foul it off I think we can go the other way and really hurt him (especially our righties). Also, if Alvarez can can go the other way he can hit a gapper for an easy double....but he's so messed up right now who knows.
Tanaka dealt. He hit his spots. We couldn't touch his slider. Good pitching beats good hitter more often than not. I think the odds Tanaka is that on is slim. I think we'll get a few across vs him. Regardless, we'll see their bullpen AGAIN. He was damn near perfect in game 1 and they still yanked him after 6. I am a believer that if you see the same games this often in this short of time, you'll eventually catch up to them.

We've already seen...
Britton 3x
Ottavino 3x
Green 2x
Kahnle 2x
Loaisiga 2x
Champman is the only key reliever we haven't seen at least twice already.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sources-yankees-dugout-erupts-over-astros-alleged-sign-stealing/311184886

Has this been posted yet?

Quote:

Sources: Yankees dugout erupts over Astros' alleged sign stealing

Houston accused of whistling to give pitches to batters

Andy Martino, SNY.tv | Twitter |
Yankees players and coaches became angry with the Astros during Game 1 of the ALCS when they noticed a whistling sound in the Astros' dugout -- which they believed was an over-the-line example of sign stealing, and a violation of the game's unwritten rules.

According to three sources, a Yankees coach noticed a whistling sound in the opposing dugout on certain pitches on Saturday night in Houston. The Yankees started yelling across the field, and people in the dugouts argued back and forth.

"The whole dugout was pissed," said one source. "Everyone was chirping."

For several years, widespread suspicion has followed the Astros about aggressive sign stealing, especially at Minute Maid Park. Although most teams engage in some form of this activity, several executives and current and former players said on Wednesday that whistling was over the line.

"They've been doing it for years," alleged an executive from another team, when asked about the whistling.

"I would consider whistling a tired act that goes beyond what is acceptable," said another major league executive. "If the Astros or anyone else was doing it, it would be considered a break in the unwritten rules. I have not been part of any team that used a whistle from the dugout for pitch type or location."

A major league coach -- not for the Yankees -- noted the unproven suspicions that the Astros use cameras to get signs.

"They are NASA," the coach said. "If a pitcher is tipping and the players can see from the dugout, no biggie. If they get it from somewhere else, that's dicey."

Said another coach: "Baseball, traditionally, doesn't like audio signs. For some reason we are more comfortable with the opposite. So did the Astros go over the line? Probably. But honestly I don't know where to draw the lines anymore."

The sign stealing did not appear to impact Masahiro Tanaka, who pitched six shutout innings in the Yankees' 7-0 Game 1 win.

According to sources, the Yankees' loud objections on Saturday night led to the Astros cutting the whistling act in Game 2.

In that game, starter James Paxton and catcher Gary Sanchez frequently changed the signs with no one on base, a clear indication that they were worried about sign stealing from a mysterious location.

An Astros spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Ag_07 said:

2018 had 44K posts and 2.0M eyes
2017 had 60K posts and 3.6M eyes
I think we'll get close to 60k before the WS.
BMX Bandit
Astros will get 4+ runs off Tanaka tomorrow. You heard it here first.
Frok
AG
My prediction:

Game 4: Loss
Game 5: Win
Game 6: Loss
Game 7: Win

Tomdoss92
AG
Frok said:

My prediction:

Game 4: Loss
Game 5: Win
Game 6: Loss
Game 7: Win

but only for these guys:

Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sources-yankees-dugout-erupts-over-astros-alleged-sign-stealing/311184886

Quote:

Yankees players and coaches became angry with the Astros during Game 1 of the ALCS when they noticed a whistling sound in the Astros' dugout -- which they believed was an over-the-line example of sign stealing, and a violation of the game's unwritten rules.

According to three sources, a Yankees coach noticed a whistling sound in the opposing dugout on certain pitches on Saturday night in Houston. The Yankees started yelling across the field, and people in the dugouts argued back and forth.

For several years, widespread suspicion has followed the Astros about aggressive sign stealing, especially at Minute Maid Park. Although most teams engage in some form of this activity, several executives and current and former players said on Wednesday that whistling was over the line.

"They've been doing it for years," alleged an executive from another team, when asked about the whistling.

"I would consider whistling a tired act that goes beyond what is acceptable," said another major league executive. "If the Astros or anyone else was doing it, it would be considered a break in the unwritten rules. I have not been part of any team that used a whistle from the dugout for pitch type or location."

A major league coach -- not for the Yankees -- noted the unproven suspicions that the Astros use cameras to get signs.

"They are NASA," the coach said. "If a pitcher is tipping and the players can see from the dugout, no biggie. If they get it from somewhere else, that's dicey."

Said another coach: "Baseball, traditionally, doesn't like audio signs. For some reason we are more comfortable with the opposite. So did the Astros go over the line? Probably. But honestly I don't know where to draw the lines anymore."

The sign stealing did not appear to impact Masahiro Tanaka, who pitched six shutout innings in the Yankees' 7-0 Game 1 win.

According to sources, the Yankees' loud objections on Saturday night led to the Astros cutting the whistling act in Game 2.

In that game, starter James Paxton and catcher Gary Sanchez frequently changed the signs with no one on base, a clear indication that they were worried about sign stealing from a mysterious location.

I hope we whistle, grunt, yodel and everything in between just to mess with their heads... because this whole conspiracy idea is firmly lodged there now.

Ag_07
AG
So dumb

Oh you can use hand signals if you're stealing signs but whistling is just over the line
Deluxe
AG
I wonder if that has any link to Bregman taking one in the back yesterday.
Farmer1906
AG
Not a chance.
Texaggie7nine
Deluxe said:

Pitcher was obviously pissed at himself after letting that one get away.
7nine
tjack16
AG
You don't intentionally put runners on in close postseason games.
DriftwoodAg
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Quote:

so we stole signs in the game we got dominated in, but didn't in the game we won?
Deluxe
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Deluxe said:

Pitcher was obviously pissed at himself after letting that one get away.
Which is exactly what he'd want you to think...

Jk, you're probably right.
Deluxe
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

bearkatag15 said:

Quote:

so we stole signs in the game we got dominated in, but didn't in the game we won?

It seems like they're just setting the table to make excuses if they lose
Mathguy64
AG
Wait until Dirty Sanchez blames the passed ball yesterday on his forgetting what the pitch was. "I had to give so many signs because of those sigh stealing thieves that I forgot what the pitch was. The passed ball was their fault."
Charlie Conway
what's more likely, we were whistling and stealing signs during a game where we couldn't even get on base? or we were whistling to **** with their heads making them think we were stealing signs?
The Milkman
AG
If I were a player at this point I would just start doing all kinds of stuff to make them think we had picked up on something even without any idea. Just to get in their heads more.
Cromagnum
AG
Charlie Conway said:

what's more likely, we were whistling and stealing signs during a game where we couldn't even get on base? or we were whistling to **** with their heads making them think we were stealing signs?

I would totally make up some obvious signs (that of course are all BS) so the pitcher can think we are communicating what the next pitch is just to he has to keep changing the code over and over.
n_touch
So Im guessing the crowd noise isnt heard on the field since you can hear whistling from dugout to dugout?
Charlie Conway
nothing would make me happier than game 6 Severino coming set for the first pitch in the bottom of the 1st and everybody in minute maid whistling out of their minds

edit: right so obviously I would prefer not going back for a game 6 but this is the next best thing
agsquirrel97
AG
tjholley16 said:

You don't intentionally put runners on in close postseason games.
unless your name starts with a "K" and ends with "enGiles"
First Page Last Page
Page 1504 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.