***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,626 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Maybe Germans bombed the moon, but game tonight postponed according both club websites.
exp
AG
How I would feel is irrelevant. I'm making a logical decision based on highest expected value. Full rest Ace is a higher expected value than short rest Ace.
tjack16
AG
8T2 said:

Every time someone mentions "World Series Game 1" when saying to save Cole, I know that this is a bad idea. If you are down 3-2, it's all hands on deck.
yep... can't get to game 1 of the WS if you don't win the ALCS
Teddy Perkins
AG
fullback44 said:

Frok said:

Bottom line is that by moving Greinke and Cole up a game now they have to win another game in New York. You can't come back down 3-2 and be forced to start Urquidy in an elimination game.

If it comes down to a final elimination game on Tuesday, I would think it would go something like this...you would hope to finish it with Cole on Sunday

Thur Game 4: Grienke (5 days rest) or Uriguidy if Grienke runs into problems early
Fri Game 5: Verlander (5 days rest) we need to win this game at all cost

Sat - travel / off day

Sun Game 6: Cole (5 days rest)

Game 7: (throw out there the best you have)

Verlander 3 innings (3 days rest)
Grienke 2-3 innings (4 days rest)
Cole 1-2 innings (1 day) this may not work?
Harris 1-2 innings
Osuna 1-2 inning
Joe Smith 1 if needed

bottom line is if it comes down to a game 7 you put your best pitchers out their and try to manage it as best you can.... and tell your lineup to score some RUNS!
There are no off days. 4 games in 4 days, Thursday to Sunday.
Ags #1
AG
I thought the games are now played thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday?
Shenaniganz
One thing that I am loving so far about this series is that Hinch hasn;'t gone bullpen crazy like Boone has. Even in G1 when Greinke didn't have his best stuff he left him out there. Ultimately i think this series comes down to our starting pitching out lasting their starting pitching.
fullback44
AG

oh ****, didn't see that...

we have to win one of the next 2 games for sure.then
Mathguy64
AG
This thread has run off the rails badly. Focus, boys and girls. Focus.

Harry Dunne
exp said:

How I would feel is irrelevant. I'm making a logical decision based on highest expected value. Full rest Ace is a higher expected value than short rest Ace.
Yes how you would feel is irrelevant but how the team would feel is not. You have to win both games either way. You can't win game 7 until you win game 6. Cole gives you the highest chance to win game 6 and get to play game 7 at all.

Hopefully we won't see this scenario, but I'd bet the farm AJ would go with Cole for the above reasons.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

exp said:

Yes how you would feel is irrelevant but how the team would feel is not. You have to win both games either way. You can't win game 7 until you win game 6. Cole gives you the highest chance to win game 6 and get to play game 7 at all.

Hopefully we won't see this scenario, but I'd bet the farm AJ would go with Cole for the above reasons.

The only way I start Cole on short rest is if we're down 2-3. Even then it's a maybe.
KC_Ag14
AG
Not starting Cole in Game 6 down 3-2 is not logical thinking. You're entire season is on the line in that hypothetical game. Have to start your best no matter what. Worry about Game 7 if/when you get there.

This isn't even a discussion if they would've stuck to using a bullpen game in Game 4. Then if it goes to 7, it's Cole vs their bullpen.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

exp said:

The only way I start Cole on short rest is if we're down 2-3. Even then it's a maybe.
Hopefully we will win in 5, but odds are we will see a game 6 and find out if AJ agrees.
aggie813
I wonder if Vincent Vega is at Yankee stadium today?
Shenaniganz
KC_Ag14 said:

Not starting Cole in Game 6 down 3-2 is not logical thinking. You're entire season is on the line in that hypothetical game. Have to start your best no matter what. Worry about Game 7 if/when you get there.

This isn't even a discussion if they would've stuck to using a bullpen game in Game 4. Then if it goes to 7, it's Cole vs their bullpen.
Doesn't Matter because the Astros are taking games 4 & 5 baby!
KC_Ag14
AG
Jimbos Cow said:

KC_Ag14 said:

Doesn't Matter because the Astros are taking games 4 & 5 baby!

I like the way you think!
Shenaniganz
Seriously though if the Astros can get game 4 with Greinke on the mound, then everything falls into place. If the Astros lose though, I think everything is just as expected.
CFTXAG10
AG
aTm2004 said:

I think who goes out in game 5 will be determined by game 4's outcome. Just because AJ said who is starting 4 & 5 doesn't make it written in stone.
Not that its right, just my opinion....

Win game 4:
BP game 5
Verlander 6
Cole 7

Lose game 4:
Verlander game 5
If you lose 5 - 6 Cole - 7 BP
If you win 5 - 6 BP - 7 Cole

Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Agreed
E
AG
Ags #1 said:

I thought the games are now played thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday?

This. Where has it been announced with Sun/Mon games? That would mean no days off between ALCS and WS... which would never happen
Marvin
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

The fact that this screamer is so upset about AJ's plan makes me all the more confident...
Teddy Perkins
AG
aggie813 said:

I wonder if Vincent Vega is at Yankee stadium today?
He is - https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3028076/replies/55177978
threeanout
AG
Today is the day off. No more unless there is another rain out. Friday's game starts at 7:00 pm eastern. The main question about Cole is whether you send him home tomorrow so he is not flying all night on Friday.
Mr President Elect
AG
I get that you don't want to get eliminated (in the down 3-2 scenario) with your best player on the bench, but why not treat game 6 like it is game 7 and then have a full Cole in game 7. So what if Cole wins game 6, you still have to win game 7 without Cole anyways. The only thing would be if you wanted to pitch JV out of the pen or something, he "might" be available in game 7. I don't like the Cole in game 6 at all.
Harry Dunne
I understand both schools of thought on game 6 starter. It's interesting how polarizing it is.

I think a lot of it is based on speculation that Cole would be diminished on short rest like Verlander was. I'm not so sure - lastnight they were talking about how resilient his arm is. How he doesn't need to warm up and can just come out and fire off 100 mph on the first pitch. Also he's younger - in his prime. If Verlander had thrown 6 shutout innings on short rest, would people feel differently?

Fact of the matter is Cole has never pitched on short rest, so there is no way to really know.

Not totally relevant, but interesting that Cole's career ERA on normal rest is 2.72 while it is over a point higher on 5+ days rest.
exp
AG
I relent my argument. Cole in game 6 if we're down 3-2. Hope he has his stuff you bastages.

Let's not let it come to that.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Harry Dunne
exp said:

I relent my argument. Cole in game 6 if we're down 3-2. Hope he has his stuff you bastages.

Let's not let it come to that.

Frok
AG
Springer might be healthy but his production certainly isn't fine. Man do we need him to start hitting.
Agnzona
Greinke needs to come through and earn the trust we have put into him.
BowSowy
AG
I'm of the opinion that Cole pitches game 6 regardless of whether we're up 3-2 or down 2-3.

If we're down 2-3, I don't think there's any way AJ rolls with a BP game in an elimination game.

If we're up 3-2, the Yankees are throwing Severino and I would think AJ would want to throw Cole to try to close the series out early. Plus, if you happen to lose that game then you're looking at a BP v BP game in game 7
Ag_07
AG
Lot of dumb going on in here today.

It's entertaining though
FrioAg 00
AG
Game 1 may have got away from Grienke late, but people seem to forget that he took a 1 run game into the 6th

Keep the bats awake and Grienke will do absolutely fine
Ag_07
AG
Cole will start a GM 6 if we're down 3-2. I'll bet whatever anyone would like to bet on it.

The thinking being that he's gonna pitch in some capacity anyways because it's an elmination game. Might as well start him.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Lot of dumb going on in here today.

It's entertaining though
It's the postseason. I guess the skippers aren't the only ones over managing.
Marvin
AG
This series comes down to two simple things for me, and a positive response in either area likely ends it in the Astros favor:

1. Greinke in Game 4
2. Offense with RISP
First Page Last Page
Page 1503 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.