***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,728,811 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by PSully97
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
THREE hits. How many games this season have we had three hits.

On one hand we have a team full of fkn choke artists.

On the other hand, fluke.

Which one, TBD.

But fk man tonight was dirty.
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hat sports........thank the Lord for booze.....
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

the Astros aren't going to advance if Springer doesn't start hitting.

he's been terrible thru the first 6 games of the postseason

Let's be fair to George. He hit the farthest ball of the night, crushing one 405 to straight away center for an out. He also smoked one down the line late against a no doubles defense that likely would have been a double earlier in the game.

Brantley also had a couple of hard line outs to left to go along with his single to left.

I was pleased with the way those two guys swung the bat tonight.
Eso si, Que es
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate


Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.


Also LOLOLOLOLOL @ AggieEE


To be fair, back when he was sporting a 4 something ERA he wasn't very impressive. His fastball location wasn't very good leading to tons of HRs

Obviously I'm thrilled he's turned it around.
Nighty night princess, we all know your baseball IQ


ETA: please make sure you get the message to Hinch about dropping Springer to the 7 hole, he is surely awaiting your call
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate


Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.


Also LOLOLOLOLOL @ AggieEE


To be fair, back when he was sporting a 4 something ERA he wasn't very impressive. His fastball location wasn't very good leading to tons of HRs

Obviously I'm thrilled he's turned it around.
Nighty night princess, we all know your baseball IQ


ETA: please make sure you get the message to Hinch about dropping Springer to the 7 hole, he is surely awaiting your call


it's much higher than yours apparently since I only asked the question as to whether the lineup would change as a result of Springer's slump, I never flat out said it should occur. This was in response to someone saying that Springer has to hit in order for us to be effective.

Sometimes moving a guy around takes the nerve off and allows them to settle down, I don't think we live or die by him being fixed to the 1 hole
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of parallels between this series and WS 2017.
Down 0-1, Springer cold, everyone wanting him to move down in the order. Other bats cold. Verlander pitching game 2.
We've been here before.
Astros will be up 2 games to 1 heading in to game 4. Then it's anyone's ball game.
Hi, Im Brett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just need to win 2 out of the first 5 at a minimum. As long as the Yankees don't sweep or take the series 4-1, the bats have 4 more games to break out of their slump and get familiar with NY bullpen.

...then it's JV and Cole pitching elimination games 6/7 back at MMP.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I spent the last 4 innings holding a shotgun in my lap because the cops were chasing someone through my neighborhood. First time I've ever had a search helicopter flying over for like 20 mins.

That was almost as nerve wracking as the game
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dipped in and out of the game because I was out with friends. ZG did alright. The bats need to come alive. We need to win tomorrow night.
Eso si, Que es
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate


Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.


Also LOLOLOLOLOL @ AggieEE


To be fair, back when he was sporting a 4 something ERA he wasn't very impressive. His fastball location wasn't very good leading to tons of HRs

Obviously I'm thrilled he's turned it around.
Nighty night princess, we all know your baseball IQ


ETA: please make sure you get the message to Hinch about dropping Springer to the 7 hole, he is surely awaiting your call


it's much higher than yours apparently since I only asked the question as to whether the lineup would change as a result of Springer's slump, I never flat out said it should occur. This was in response to someone saying that Springer has to hit in order for us to be effective.

Sometimes moving a guy around takes the nerve off and allows them to settle down, I don't think we live or die by him being fixed to the 1 hole
Yes, you have achieved Mensa level baseball IQ. Springer slumped through 2017 playoffs and many people begged for his drop in the order, only to watch him win WS MVP. Has Springer (since being established) ever moved out of lead off position under AJ Hinch (barring a very short experiment)? You're the genius, you tell us?

Make sure when you ask Hinch this, you recommend Miley start game 3 and 7 for us based on your previously quoted post.

FYI:
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/george-springer-is-the-best-homer-hitting-leadoff-hitter/c-274349016
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/George-Springer-gives-Astros-a-leadoff-man-with-11067046.php

As much as you post here, I am sure you are a true Astros fan; I am just saying that this is MLB, success is not measured over days or weeks, it is measured over seasons and careers. Your posts have been very fickle and short sighted. Our boys may not be victorious this week or this playoff season, but it is just like when we complain about saying certain things during certain games, it is not just superstition, there is data and history to some of these things. Don't poke the baseball gods, they are fickle and get pissed very easily. That is because routine is extremely important in the baseball world, consistency, consistency, consistency!

I hope we are both happy in 8 days, nay 17 days. Just realize the season is 162 games for a reason, and post season is not NFL playoffs for a reason...any given night, 27 outs, no clock.
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably been said but tomorrow sure feels like a must win
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate


Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.


Also LOLOLOLOLOL @ AggieEE


To be fair, back when he was sporting a 4 something ERA he wasn't very impressive. His fastball location wasn't very good leading to tons of HRs

Obviously I'm thrilled he's turned it around.
Nighty night princess, we all know your baseball IQ


ETA: please make sure you get the message to Hinch about dropping Springer to the 7 hole, he is surely awaiting your call


it's much higher than yours apparently since I only asked the question as to whether the lineup would change as a result of Springer's slump, I never flat out said it should occur. This was in response to someone saying that Springer has to hit in order for us to be effective.

Sometimes moving a guy around takes the nerve off and allows them to settle down, I don't think we live or die by him being fixed to the 1 hole
Yes, you have achieved Mensa level baseball IQ. Springer slumped through 2017 playoffs and many people begged for his drop in the order, only to watch him win WS MVP. Has Springer (since being established) ever moved out of lead off position under AJ Hinch (barring a very short experiment)? You're the genius, you tell us?

Make sure when you ask Hinch this, you recommend Miley start game 3 and 7 for us based on your previously quoted post.

FYI:
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/george-springer-is-the-best-homer-hitting-leadoff-hitter/c-274349016
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/George-Springer-gives-Astros-a-leadoff-man-with-11067046.php

As much as you post here, I am sure you are a true Astros fan; I am just saying that this is MLB, success is not measured over days or weeks, it is measured over seasons and careers. Your posts have been very fickle and short sighted. Our boys may not be victorious this week or this playoff season, but it is just like when we complain about saying certain things during certain games, it is not just superstition, there is data and history to some of these things. Don't poke the baseball gods, they are fickle and get pissed very easily. That is because routine is extremely important in the baseball world, consistency, consistency, consistency!

I hope we are both happy in 8 days, nay 17 days. Just realize the season is 162 games for a reason, and post season is not NFL playoffs for a reason...any given night, 27 outs, no clock.

You don't need to give me a history lesson. Thankfully he got out of his slump in 2017. That's no guarantee in 2019.

I don't really care if Springer hasn't had his order adjusted previously, nor do I just fully support every single decision Hinch makes. But Hinch has already made top of the order lineup adjustments in the playoffs so far this year. He regularly makes changes to how he sees players are currently playing and his gut feel at times.

Routine while in a rhythm is obviously important, it's just as important to know when to make adjustments. Otherwise, you keep playing a Miley or Reddick expecting different results...even if it is somewhat short term (like the Miley implosion has been, he's been fantastic for the vast majority of the season, which is funny how quick you are to throw him under the bus yet call me out for short term thinking...). Sometimes you need to have a feel for momentum, and if a player is off, maybe changing things periodically can break somebody out of a funk and gain their confidence back. I think Springer is a tad more prone to this sort of thing than some of our other players.

I never said that moving Springer was the correct move either (in fact, I lean towards just keeping him at the top), but I also would not fault Hinch for doing it.
Eso si, Que es
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Eso si, Que es said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Who cares if he's the strike out leader when your job is to not get runs across the plate.

Not impressed with Cole this year, been much more impressed with Wade Miley despite the much lower K rate


Cole has pretty much the same xwoba as JV and is sporting a ridiculous xfip of 2.36. Buy stock in Cole's 2nd half.


Also LOLOLOLOLOL @ AggieEE


To be fair, back when he was sporting a 4 something ERA he wasn't very impressive. His fastball location wasn't very good leading to tons of HRs

Obviously I'm thrilled he's turned it around.
Nighty night princess, we all know your baseball IQ


ETA: please make sure you get the message to Hinch about dropping Springer to the 7 hole, he is surely awaiting your call


it's much higher than yours apparently since I only asked the question as to whether the lineup would change as a result of Springer's slump, I never flat out said it should occur. This was in response to someone saying that Springer has to hit in order for us to be effective.

Sometimes moving a guy around takes the nerve off and allows them to settle down, I don't think we live or die by him being fixed to the 1 hole
Yes, you have achieved Mensa level baseball IQ. Springer slumped through 2017 playoffs and many people begged for his drop in the order, only to watch him win WS MVP. Has Springer (since being established) ever moved out of lead off position under AJ Hinch (barring a very short experiment)? You're the genius, you tell us?

Make sure when you ask Hinch this, you recommend Miley start game 3 and 7 for us based on your previously quoted post.

FYI:
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/george-springer-is-the-best-homer-hitting-leadoff-hitter/c-274349016
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/George-Springer-gives-Astros-a-leadoff-man-with-11067046.php

As much as you post here, I am sure you are a true Astros fan; I am just saying that this is MLB, success is not measured over days or weeks, it is measured over seasons and careers. Your posts have been very fickle and short sighted. Our boys may not be victorious this week or this playoff season, but it is just like when we complain about saying certain things during certain games, it is not just superstition, there is data and history to some of these things. Don't poke the baseball gods, they are fickle and get pissed very easily. That is because routine is extremely important in the baseball world, consistency, consistency, consistency!

I hope we are both happy in 8 days, nay 17 days. Just realize the season is 162 games for a reason, and post season is not NFL playoffs for a reason...any given night, 27 outs, no clock.

You don't need to give me a history lesson. Thankfully he got out of his slump in 2017. That's no guarantee in 2019.

I don't really care if Springer hasn't had his order adjusted previously, nor do I just fully support every single decision Hinch makes. But Hinch has already made top of the order lineup adjustments in the playoffs so far this year. He regularly makes changes to how he sees players are currently playing and his gut feel at times.

Routine while in a rhythm is obviously important, it's just as important to know when to make adjustments. Otherwise, you keep playing a Miley or Reddick expecting different results...even if it is somewhat short term (like the Miley implosion has been, he's been fantastic for the vast majority of the season, which is funny how quick you are to throw him under the bus yet call me out for short term thinking...). Sometimes you need to have a feel for momentum, and if a player is off, maybe changing things periodically can break somebody out of a funk and gain their confidence back. I think Springer is a tad more prone to this sort of thing than some of our other players.

I never said that moving Springer was the correct move either (in fact, I lean towards just keeping him at the top), but I also would not fault Hinch for doing it.

Awesome points, can I recap?

You are going with the defense of:

You dismissed Cole early in the season in favor of Miley
You wonder aloud if Springer should be dropped in the lineup
and then say I am quick to throw Miley under the bus. First, I didn't throw Miley under the bus. Second, is that really the hill you are gonna die on? You are going to build your case on my supposed throwing Miley under the bus as my lack of knowledge.

On the other hand, if I read your 2019 posts, I would assume the Astros are 55 - 107, you constantly complain about almost every player and about getting Hinched.

I get it, you are passionate, but holy hell you gotta realize how grating you can be sometimes.

You can have the final word, I will let it go as it is already Game 2 day, BTHO Yankmee's
Big Daddy88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

agdaddy04 said:

Gigemags382 said:

This team is the epitome of anti-clutch. Good grief what a disaster.

Just came across this one, but how the **** do you say a team that won 107, made it to the ALCS, is anti-clutch


You watch tonight's game


Well said.
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mathguy86 said:

Spent most of the last 5 innings in Internet purgatory. Texags wouldn't load worth a crap. Now it's decided to be snappy again.


The only thing you missed was a bunch of people getting hysterical on this thread.
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The highlight of the game was definitely getting A-Rod's attention enough for him to smile and wave at me...

Then yell "CHEATER" at him. It was great.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

October 12th was a ****ty sports day.
Astros game sucked.

Aggies lost by nearly exactly how many they were supposed to. Not surprised or disappointed any more than most Saturdays in Aggie football. At least the horns lost.

More disappointing than Aggie football itself are all the crybabies that migrate over here during the playoffs and turn this thread into Aggie football forum lite.
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm pretty sure half this thread is in the same section tonight. Wife and I will be in the juicebox up in stratosection 407
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good morning, friends. It's a great day for baseball. Let's go kick some NY ass.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nuke LaLoosh said:

THREE hits. How many games this season have we had three hits.

On one hand we have a team full of fkn choke artists.

On the other hand, fluke.

Which one, TBD.

But fk man tonight was dirty.
This is not even debatable. You have a team full of guys have already proven they are clutch.

Good pitching beats good hitting and despite having the 2 best pitchers in the game and having them shut down good bats all season, we have a lot of casual fans who still don't understand that.
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

I'm pretty sure half this thread is in the same section tonight. Wife and I will be in the juicebox up in stratosection 407


407 here. Row 6. Let's go!!!!!
BCSGrubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Snagged some ticket close to home plate an hour before the game when prices dropped. There were a lot of interesting people sitting our section last night. Yankee fans around us were actually pretty cool and not over the top annoying or rude.

Guy wearing Pat Mahomes jersey was acting ridiculous and we thought got kicked out but then was let back in. So many people missed significant parts of the game getting beer. Don't understand why you pay that much money to not watch the game.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm in the same boat tonight, how much did you pay and for what section? Stubhub?
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Snagged some ticket close to home plate an hour before the game when prices dropped. There were a lot of interesting people sitting our section last night. Yankee fans around us were actually pretty cool and not over the top annoying or rude.

Guy wearing Pat Mahomes jersey was acting ridiculous and we thought got kicked out but then was let back in. So many people missed significant parts of the game getting beer. Don't understand why you pay that much money to not watch the game.
Wearing a Mahomes jersey the day before the big game...sounds like dude was looking for a fight.
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sorry for leaving Houston during postseason play. It couldn't be helped, but I nevertheless express my remorse. I will be home in time for first pitch tonight.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a great day. The weather is cool. The pit just got fired up for a pork butt tonight and some pork belly burnt ends to munch on midday. Having a double shot espresso now.

If the morning is this good the evening will be spectacular.
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

third coast.. said:

I'm pretty sure half this thread is in the same section tonight. Wife and I will be in the juicebox up in stratosection 407


407 here. Row 6. Let's go!!!!!


410 row 1
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was at a wedding last night and watching on my phone.

Judging by this last page sounds like k didn't miss much.

Get GM 2 tonight and get the series back on track. Oh yeah...Fck the Yankees
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**** the ****ing Yankees
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wearing my Springer jersey to the game tonight. Every time I've worn it to a game he has hit a homerun
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

third coast.. said:

I'm pretty sure half this thread is in the same section tonight. Wife and I will be in the juicebox up in stratosection 407


407 here. Row 6. Let's go!!!!!
407 row 11

LFG!
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody know a good place to catch the game in CS? Headed up for Fire/Rescue training and I'm leaving Houston with enough time to watch the whole game.
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still have 2 FS tonight that I can't move to friends and family to save my life.

Anyone know if it's possible to list ballpark app tickets on stubhub?
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Facebook is the most successful way I've had to move tickets. Marketplace
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Lots of parallels between this series and WS 2017.
Down 0-1, Springer cold, everyone wanting him to move down in the order. Other bats cold. Verlander pitching game 2.
We've been here before.
Astros will be up 2 games to 1 heading in to game 4. Then it's anyone's ball game.


Difference is we were chalk full of clutch hits until that game.

I feel like we are pressing hard on offense. Close to 1998-2001 levels of pressing.

Based on the sample size we have, are we just unlucky, or are we actually behaving differently?