***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,629 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You pull out all the stops because you don't want your season coming down to 1 game.

The same reason no one wants to play in the WC play in game.
Ag_07
AG
Oh yeah...

All this falls in the shoulders Wade Miley shltting the bed and forgetting how to pitch down the stretch.

None of this is an issue if we're rolling out pre August Wade.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Oh yeah...

All this falls in the shoulders Wade Miley shltting the bed and forgetting how to pitch down the stretch.

None of this is an issue if we're rolling out pre August Wade.
I guess we're lucky he showed us a month ago how bad he was, imagine one of those first innings in game 4.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

For starters, the failed 4 out save attempt.
That is not a first. Osuna had a 4 out save last ALDS vs Cleveland.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU201810060.shtml

A first for the season is a first for the season.

There go those goalposts.
PhatMack19
AG
Cards walk it off in the 10th. Great game

Game 5 on Wednesday
Ag_07
AG
God I hate Yadier Molina
HossAg
AG
That was dope. Glad we get a game 5.
jkag89
willie wonka said:

This is the way this board sounds right now.

Exactly. As long as the team is alive, all that matters is getting 11 postseason Ws, not the number of Ls along the way. Looked unbeatable in the first four games in '18 only to lose the next four. Were up and down in '17 but found a way to get those 11 Ws.
Bonfired
AG
jkag89 said:

willie wonka said:

This is the way this board sounds right now.

Exactly. As long as the team is alive, all that matters is getting 11 postseason Ws, not the number of Ls along the way. Looked unbeatable in the first four games in '18 only to lose the next four. Were up and down in '17 but found a way to get those 11 Ws.

And included in that WS run was a loss in Game 3 of the ALDS to Boston by the score of...10-3.

Not going to flip out about this one...I'm too old for that *****
Big Al 1992
AG
Starting JV in game 4 forces Rays to beat the 2 best pitchers in baseball back to back to advance. How many times this season did those 2 lose back to back games? Not many.
Mr President Elect
AG
Who do you think we go with tomorrow in RF? Both have looked pretty bad. I am leaning towards going Jake in CF and George in RF. If we aren't going to get any offensive production, then might as well improve the defense.
bearkatag15
AG
willjohnathan said:

Who do you think we go with tomorrow in RF? Both have looked pretty bad. I am leaning towards going Jake in CF and George in RF. If we aren't going to get any offensive production, then might as well improve the defense.

0 chance Hinch starts Jake
Frok
AG
There's nothing you do but hope for a better result from those guys tomorrow
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
willjohnathan said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

willjohnathan said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

For starters, the failed 4 out save attempt.
Umm, dont make stuff up.

This was Sept 5. Not even that long ago

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU201909050.shtml#HoustonAstrospitching::none

Yep, a guy pitching two innings in an extra inning game is EXACTLY identical to what hinch did did on Saturday.

Different situation, different pitcher. Don't be intentionally dense.
Those are pretty similar situations. Ok, the score was tied instead of us being up. It was still him coming in with 2 outs in a high pressure situation and then coming back out the following inning and getting 3 outs, again in a high leverage situation. Everyone (yourself included) was complaining about him not pitching over the span of multiple innings (ever). And you are wrong. Not exact but very similar situation.

A tie game in extras in the regular season is in absolutely zero way similar to a playoff game.

This is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on this thread, and that's saying a lot.
Mr President Elect
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

A tie game in extras in the regular season is in absolutely zero way similar to a playoff game.

This is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on this thread, and that's saying a lot.
So an example of it happening last year in the playoffs doesn't count because it was last year, and an example of it happening a month ago doesn't count because it wasn't the playoffs. Got it. Troll on dude!
Mathguy64
AG
I don't like starting JV on short rest but I know it's the right call. Make TB beat JV on 3 days rest and then Cole on full rest. You have 2 bullets in the gun and you have to be ready to fire both. Win Game 4 and JV is ready to start Game 1 of the ALCS on full rest. Or flop JV and Cole and let Cole go first.

In the end the game tomorrow will come down to the bats warming up. Springer can't go 0-fer again. He's got to set the table.
Big Al 1992
AG
Is JV ever really fully rested when married to this? (insert Kate gif here)
Wabs
AG
mathguy86 said:

I don't like starting JV on short rest but I know it's the right call. Make TB beat JV on 3 days rest and then Cole on full rest. You have 2 bullets in the gun and you have to be ready to fire both. Win Game 4 and JV is ready to start Game 1 of the ALCS on full rest. Or flop JV and Cole and let Cole go first.

In the end the game tomorrow will come down to the bats warming up. Springer can't go 0-fer again. He's got to set the table.

Does the ALCS start Sat? If so, Cole will need to go G1 if we win tomorrow. JV would be on 3 days rest.
BigPuma
AG
Ag_07 said:

God I hate Yadier Molina
there are a lot of hateable players on both the cards and braves teams.
the last of the bohemians
Ugh... starting Verlander on 3 days...We can beat their pitchers tomorrow without experimentation
AggiEE
the last of the bohemians said:

Ugh... starting Verlander on 3 days...We can beat their pitchers tomorrow without experimentation

We can...but that's dependent upon our offense not batting below their season average unless the Rays similarly show up without an offense

Question is if you even bother risking it. We only have two more shots
Ciboag96
JV is a grown ass man. He can do it.
Ciboag96
And Springer better get a ****ing hit tomo
tremble
AG
Dodgers slipping here. Going to be an interesting finish with Strasbourg on the mound for them next game.
David_Puddy
AG

You'd rather have Urquidy pitching his first every playoff game on the road? Thankfully you're not making the pitching decisions
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
willjohnathan said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

So an example of it happening last year in the playoffs doesn't count because it was last year, and an example of it happening a month ago doesn't count because it wasn't the playoffs. Got it. Troll on dude!

A mid reliever pitching the 12th and 13th inning of a regular season game is in no way the same as trotting our your closer for a 4 out save for the first time in a season.

If you can't understand that, I can't help you.
Dunno, I called the osuna debacle and Miley debacle in the playoffs, hopefully you're right....
Mr President Elect
AG
Hmm.... Dodgers electing to not go the short rest route. These decisions are such coin flips at times.
Philip J Fry
AG
David_Puddy said:

You'd rather have Urquidy pitching his first every playoff game on the road? Thankfully you're not making the pitching decisions

I would. I would rather go with the sure win for game 5 and hope the offense wakes up and wins it tomorrow
astros4545
AG
Astros are -231 for Game 4

Looks like Vegas agrees with Hinch

Or is someone going to argue that we would be better favorites with urquidy starting
rosco511
AG
Philip J Fry said:

David_Puddy said:

I would. I would rather go with the sure win for game 5 and hope the offense wakes up and wins it tomorrow

There is no such thing as a "sure" win in one game in baseball. The Astros had one of better seasons in history and still only won 2 out of every 3 games. Thus, you are much better off maximizing number of games in which you are clear favorite versus loading up for one game.
Philip J Fry
AG
Agreed. I think we can win without Verlander and I think Verlander on full rest is a better shot than on 3 days. What do we do if we lose game 4? Run Cole out on 3 days rest after throwing 118 pitches?

I think this is a huge mistake.
the offense needs to execute on small ball tomorrow, then I have the rest will fall into place...leaving altuve on 3rd with no outs is about as bad as it gets for small ball execution considering Brantley and Bregman had less than 2 outs opportunity
Mr President Elect
AG
Cole will be on full rest because of the off day.
Philip J Fry
AG
And I'll say, Verlander has pitched on short rest. He gave up a home run in Boston in 2017 and clearly didn't have his best stuff. Granted it was out of the bullpen.
First Page Last Page
Page 1258 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.