***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,676 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reddit's MLB steam should work too.
cablinaggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Grienke and Verlander are under contract through 21, so they don't come off the books until 22. If you trade away Reddick, you are going to have to eat some money. If I remember right they tried to do that in the last off-season and couldn't find anyone interested. Same would be true with grienke but I can't see the Astros giving up all that they did and only keeping him for half a season. They would never get an equivalent return back. There only way to make a Cole deal work would be to go cheap on the front end of the contract and back load it when done bug money guys are off the book.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I consider signing Springer to an extension to be there highest priority this off-season. He's the heart of that locker room, and you can't let him go. He's worth whatever you have to pay him.

I should have been clearer, I meant take the tax hit for '20 and '21 while they're under contract, then get below $212mm and reset for 2022.
Post removed:
by user
Teddy Perkins
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
So let's say you offload grienke and Reddick. You still have some money on the books for both, and some for grienke for 21. Let's say they have to pay $5m for Reddick and another $6m for grienke (probably conservative). You're paying Verlander 33, altuve almost 30, bregman 20, probably 15 for Springer, 16 (I think) for Brantley. Cole is gonna want to break a record for AAV, so let's say 35 a year for him. That's $126m between 6 guys. Now you have to replenish the bullpen with Harris, rondon, and Smith leaving for free agency, and potentially sign another starter to supplement the big two, urkeeding, and McCullers who is coming of TJS (which makes him an unknown and probably will come with an innings limit). We've already seen that Whitley is a bit of a wild card, any who else do we have left in the minors to bring up? I'm not sure the Astros resign Miley given how he fell off a cliff. On top of that you have to extend Springer and he's going to want Bregman money, and Correa is going to be due a raise in arbitration.

I love Cole, he's a beast, but I'm afraid that signing him to what he deserves is going to end up limiting what lunhow can do to improve the team over time. We should enjoy it while we have him. They'll tag him with a qualifying offer and get the draft pick unless he pulls a keuchel.
Frok
AG
third coast.. said:

Wait the game today isnt on national TV? that's absolutely ridiculous.

I literally hate whoever came up with baseball's playoff TV schedule. I think they are trying to prevent me from watching my own team.
The Milkman
AG
third coast.. said:

Its MLB Network. Its cable. I'd call that national TV. Same that a couple of this weekends games were on.

Also, if you dont regularly have MLB Network, most all of the TV carriers have it as a free trial until the 11th for the ALDS because a few of the games were on there. If you dont normally have it, just go to the channel and prepare to be pleasantly surprised
Post removed:
by user
Charlie Conway

good luck today for the hometown 9
Thinice
Will we be taking care of Springer in the off-season? What's that going to take?
Harry Stone
AG
If the astros and yankees win today, when would the ALCS start?
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Stone said:

Game 1 is on Saturday.
Texaggie7nine
Harry Stone said:

All dates are set for every series. Only the times are yet to be set.
7nine
CoachRTM
AG
I realize this is unlikely, but can we please table all the Cole re-signing conversation until the offseason? We have a world-series contender to watch for the next month, and I'm already over all this hand-wringing about potentially losing Cole in the offseason.
Farmer1906
AG
Teams top 5 players (by adj salary) for 2019

LA Dodgers
Kershaw 31
Jansen 19.3
Turner 19
Hill 18.6
Ryu 17.9

NY Yankees
Stanton 26
Tanaka 22
Chapman 17.2
Happ 17
Britton 13

Boston Red Sox
Price 31
Martinez 23.7
Porcello 21.1
Betts 20
Eovaldi 17

Chicago Cubs
Lester 27.5
Heyward 22.5
Darvish 20
Hamels 20
Bryant 12.5

Washington Nationals
Schezer 37.5
Rendon 18.8
Zimmerman 18
Corbin 12.9
Dozier 9

Here is what we're proposing for 2020
Verlander 33
Cole 33 (guess)
Altuve 29
Greinke 24.7 (if we keep him)
Spring 15 (estimate)
Reddick 13 (if we're trading away Greinke)
123-135

We would be paying more than anyone else for their top tier players and it would be by a good margin.

If you look back at how the Cards stayed good, they pick and chose who to give money to. The let Pujols walk.
Farmer1906
AG
CoachRTM said:

I realize this is unlikely, but can we please table all the Cole re-signing conversation until the offseason? We have a world-series contender to watch for the next month, and I'm already over all this hand-wringing about potentially losing Cole in the offseason.
Agreed!

Let's go watch Greinke deal today.

No pitcher has ever gone 4-0 in elimination games. (no one has been 3-0 until CFM) so lets not let him make any more history today.
gigemJTH12
AG
CoachRTM said:

agreed. was going to post similar. This isnt an offseason thread.

Lets win a ring then talk about it.

Farmer1906
AG
Greinke's Postseason Game Log

He's had 6 good starts, but they're sandwiched between 5 poor starts (3 to start and 2 most recent). Regardless he's got the experience on the big stage.
bearkatag15
AG
Was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about Maldonado being 7 for 13 vs Morton in his career. I wonder if he starts over Chirinos today because of that?
dshedd41
S
It's GAMEDAY!
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
I'm interested to see what the atmosphere is at the Trop. They don't get shlt for fans but at the same time this is a postseason game. Just curious to see the turnout there in TB.

And any word on how Correa's back held up on the grueling 2 hr flight?
TXAG14
12pm first pitch...

CoachRTM
AG
August 27 - last time Astros faced Morton.

15-1 victory
Morton - 4 IP, 6 ER

Chirinos hit a 2 run HR against him, Reddick hit a RBI double, Altuve hit a sac fly, and Gurriel hit a 2 run double.
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm interested to see what the atmosphere is at the Trop. They don't get shlt for fans but at the same time this is a postseason game. Just curious to see the turnout there in TB.

And any word on how Correa's back held up on the grueling 2 hr flight?
if it was 1-1 it would be different.

Or if the game was at night.

But down 0-2 and midday....I dont see it being very good. Their fans sucks.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Correa playing 3 games in a row. I'm impressed with both his rehab regimen and his ability to avoid a masseuse for 3 days.
k20dub
AG
mathguy86 said:

Correa playing 3 games in a row. I'm impressed with both his rehab regimen and his ability to avoid a masseuse for 3 days.
A win today would be really nice so he could rest for the next 4 days.
The Milkman
AG
So Diaz and Straw havent seen the field or an at bat yet. Wonder if they'll get in today. Probably score dependent
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Weird getting starting lineups at 9am.
CFTXAG10
AG
k20dub said:

mathguy86 said:

A win today would be really nice so he could rest for the next 4 days.
Same goes for everybody. I was thinking about this yesterday: Game will probably wrap at 3:30pm CT. To be off from 3:30pm Monday all the way to Saturday night would be fantastic. Even better if the Twins could get a game back on the Yanks tonight.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

So Diaz and Straw havent seen the field or an at bat yet. Wonder if they'll get in today. Probably score dependent
Have you seen a scenario where it makes sense for them to get in?
cablinaggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Greinke's Postseason Game Log

He's had 6 good starts, but they're sandwiched between 5 poor starts (3 to start and 2 most recent). Regardless he's got the experience on the big stage.

I'm going to chalk it up to the NL West being familiar with him throughout the course of a season.
gigemJTH12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Milkman said:

Have you seen a scenario where it makes sense for them to get in?
yeah I thought Straw should have pinch ran on Saturday for Yuli.
Philip J Fry
AG
Frok said:

third coast.. said:

I literally hate whoever came up with baseball's playoff TV schedule. I think they are trying to prevent me from watching my own team.

**********s don't want multiple games on at the same time. Ridiculous
First Page Last Page
Page 1237 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.