***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,469 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you Astros season ticket holders (or anyone, really) know the best way to get tickets to the game on Saturday? My MIL thinks since I work for the Rangers I have connections everywhere lol
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

cap-n-jack said:

What are we supposed to do until Friday afternoon?
Talk about how much we miss Charlie Morton
Honestly, I checked for the game time Wednesday and saw he is listed as the starter for Tampa Bay. Oakland has there's listed as TBA, but I really hope we get an Uncle Charlie vs. Mike Fiers AL Wild Card game.
McInnis
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So I've looked at the #s and I think I'm ready to cast my Cy Young vote...

And the winner is... Gerrit Cole.

Ultimately, what swung my vote is limited balls being hit (more K%) and the type of contact once it was put in play (lower hard hit%, higher soft hit%). This led to JV allowing all those HRs and why Cole has the clear edge in FIP & xFIP. Its much closer, but Cole also has the edge in xwOBA too.

And after careful consideration, my vote is for Verlander, because he'll be helping us win another World Series next year and Cole will be pitching for the Dodgers. Yeah, not very objective I'll admit.

And this season's fun facts:

Astro's highest batting average - Zach Grienke, .500

Astro's lowest era - Max Stassi, 0.00
Farmer1906
AG
AccidentProne said:

Any of you Astros season ticket holders (or anyone, really) know the best way to get tickets to the game on Saturday? My MIL thinks since I work for the Rangers I have connections everywhere lol
Its sold out so secondary market. Yeah, I know. Not helpful.

Edit; You can buy season tickets and get some.
CFTXAG10
AG
AccidentProne said:

Just a suggestion for you or her. Download the StubHub app. Select the Saturday game. Select "set price alert". Pick the sections you would be okay with sitting in and the price you are willing to pay. You will get a notification of availability if anything hits.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Does anyone know when the game times will be announced?
BMX Bandit
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Does anyone know when the game times will be announced?
MLB won't announce until home field advantage is decided.

(have announced on Tuesday the last couple of years)
astros4545
AG
AccidentProne said:

Welcome to the band wagon
Andyzipp
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Frok said:

Where can I find the TV time-slots listed for the playoffs?

From what I've heard there is a 1pm and 3pm slot on Friday?
Based on looking at my cable guide the FS1 early games are both at 3. IDK if that's real or not.
What if I told you there is no spoon?
spadilly
S
Going to be a long week waiting...

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Ag_07 said:

cap-n-jack said:

What are we supposed to do until Friday afternoon?

Spend a couple days going back and forth on start times (check)
I'm sure they'll be a solid Reddick v Tucker debate here shortly
Same goes for a Trout v Bregman debate
Talk about how much we miss Charlie Morton
Post gold luck pre-playoff teets

That should get us to the WC game on Wed
I requested a side-by-side comparison of Cole and Verlander's respective wives so we can judge once and for all who is hotter. That should burn a solid afternoon, but no one seems to have found the motivation to get started on the project.
Mr Gigem
AG
astros4545 said:

AccidentProne said:

Welcome to the band wagon
I'm not jumping on the Astros band wagon. She has been a lifelong Astros fan but lives up here in DFW. Follows the team religiously
Ag_07
AG
That's the exact story I'd come up with if I were a Rangers employee trying to covertly hop on.
Mr Gigem
AG
I mean, I DID use to work for the Astros AAA team. So I have that going for me
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I'm kidding you

Can't help her but only advice I have is to check out the Astros Ticket Exchange Facebook group. Not sure how prices line up but lots of people selling tickets in there
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah I'm kidding you

Can't help her but only advice I have is to check out the Astros Ticket Exchange Facebook group. Not sure how prices line up but lots of people selling tickets in there

Yep. Either check the Astros ticket marketplace, or just head to the stadium and get last second tickets off stubhub when prices inevitably drop before game time (my preferred method).
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

Ultimately, what swung my vote is limited balls being hit (more K%) and the type of contact once it was put in play (lower hard hit%, higher soft hit%). This led to JV allowing all those HRs and why Cole has the clear edge in FIP & xFIP. Its much closer, but Cole also has the edge in xwOBA too.

Imo the numbers are so close I'm in favor of a Co-Cy award
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

That's fine that you can't turn in a ballot with co Cys. The odds of them have the same number of votes (point total?) is extremely small.
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

That's fine that you can't turn in a ballot with co Cys. The odds of them have the same number of votes (point total?) is extremely small.
Given that they should be 1/2 on every ballot (if not then that voter should be drawn and quartered), I'd say there is a decent chance of it happening. Not likely, but very possible. Just need it to split 15 to 15. Maybe they'll collude.
HossAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

To me, FIP shouldn't matter for Cy Young.
dshedd41
S
Article I wrote about Julia, Blummer and TK back next season
http://houseofhouston.com/2019/09/30/houston-astros-rumors-julia-morales-att-sportsnet-tv-team-contract-extension/
Gig’em Aggies!
astros4545
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Given that they should be 1/2 on every ballot (if not then that voter should be drawn and quartered), I'd say there is a decent chance of it happening. Not likely, but very possible. Just need it to split 15 to 15. Maybe they'll collude.

Is there only 30 voters? If so, much better chance of co-cys than I thought

They should be 1-2 on every ballot
Farmer1906
AG
HossAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why?
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

As I posted yesterday, my counter argument is that JV basically gave up nothing in terms of runs unless it was a HR. 21 non-HR generated runs all season in 34 starts. Cole was double that. Both numbers are stupid low, but JV is insane. He gave up less than 2/3 of a run per start from the run of play. And his WHIP was 10% better.

I think Cole wins it too, but its very close and frankly you can find sabermetric stats to favor either. Because Cole had the big obvious ERA and K wins I think he gets it from lower IQ voters. And that's over the lower IQ votes for JV from wins and the no hitter.

Really and truly its worthy of a tied vote. It wont tie because of homer 2nd place votes for CFM and Lynn/Minor. I doubt any homer has the guts to vote someone else #1. If they do they should lose the right to vote forever.
Farmer1906
AG
My inside guy at the 'stros said Friday at 1 and Saturday at 8. I have no idea how reliable it is, but there you go.
Ag_07
AG
HossAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

Interesting. Why so? I think it would weigh more.

Doesn't FIP take the quality of fielders out of the equation?
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My inside guy at the 'stros said Friday at 1 and Saturday at 8. I have no idea how reliable it is, but there you go.
If Saturday at 8 then he is saying Yankees play the early game instead of primetime. That's hard to believe.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

If Saturday at 8 then he is saying Yankees play the early game instead of primetime. That's hard to believe.
Primetime on Saturday may mean less. The CBS game of the week for the SEC is at 230.
HossAg
AG
The quality of the fielder's thing is a good point, but I think that for most balls in play that can be an out, the results will be pretty consistent. Especially when the two guys in question in this case are on the same team.

I see FIP mostly used as a tool for "is this performance sustainable". So in terms of who you want long term, yeah, the guy with lower FIP seems to be the right choice. But in terms of who should win the Cy Young, the season is over already. The stats have been posted. Higher FIP obviously didn't hurt JV's stats, and he hit 300 strikeouts too.

I'll pull back and say that FIP shouldn't be just ignores here, but I don't think it's as important as ERA, whip, etc. And I know Cole wins in some of those categories too. I honestly don't know who should win.
Mr President Elect
AG
BMX Bandit said:

MLB won't announce until home field advantage is decided.

After all the drama on here regarding tiebreakers, the only two teams that ended with the same record are the A's and Braves... go figure.
Ag13
AG
SIAP -

I did not realize there is actually precedent for co-Cy Youngs

Quote:

1969 AL: Cuellar (10), McClain (10) *co-winners

1969 marked the first and only tie in Cy Young voting, as Baltimore's Mike Cuellar and Detroit's Denny McClain each received 10 first-place votes. Cuellar went 23-11 with a 2.38 ERA and 182 strikeouts in 39 starts (290 2/3 innings pitched) for the Orioles. McClain, on the other hand, went 24-9 with a 2.80 ERA and 181 strikeouts in 41 starts (325 innings) for the Tigers. Voters were torn, and McClain and Cuellar were named co-Cy Young Award winners for the 1969 season. The tie resulted in a change in the voting process the following year, in which each writer would vote for three different pitchers: the first-place vote received five points, the second-place vote received three points, and the third-place vote received one point.
Farmer1906
AG
HossAg said:

The quality of the fielder's thing is a good point, but I think that for most balls in play that can be an out, the results will be pretty consistent. Especially when the two guys in question in this case are on the same team.

I see FIP mostly used as a tool for "is this performance sustainable". So in terms of who you want long term, yeah, the guy with lower FIP seems to be the right choice. But in terms of who should win the Cy Young, the season is over already. The stats have been posted. Higher FIP obviously didn't hurt JV's stats, and he hit 300 strikeouts too.

I'll pull back and say that FIP shouldn't be just ignores here, but I don't think it's as important as ERA, whip, etc. And I know Cole wins in some of those categories too. I honestly don't know who should win.
ERA looks at what actually happened. FIP tries to remove the stuff that a pitcher can't always control. It takes out sequencing and luck. They're both useful for evaluating.

The gap between ERA and FIP for JV makes me want to know more. Why was he able to keep his BABIP so low when his contact profile isn't all that great? Does he get credit for that or was it luck?
bearkatag15
AG
BCSGrubber
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He must really be hard to work with
bearkatag15
AG
Seems Joe Maddon is the expectation by most people to land with the Angels. Makes sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 1143 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.