***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,602 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I found this on an on-line search:

Quote:

Under the new system, the team with the better record will open the World Series at home. If both teams have the same record, the next tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If that doesn't solve it, the team with the best record within its own division gets home-field advantage.
Since you seem to know everything, you could have just told me (a) to look it up for myself, or (b) told me this. I mean, you come off as a complete tool by being such a dick to someone for asking a quesiton.

What if we had the same record in division. What's next?
Now that you ask:

[ol]
  • The team with the better head-to-head winning percentage during the regular season.
  • The team with the best overall record in intradivision games.*
  • The team with the best overall record in intraleague games.
  • The team with the best record in the final 81 games of the season, ignoring interleague play.
  • The team with the best record in the final 82 games of the season (provided the game added is not between the tied teams), extending backward until the tie is broken (Interleague games are skipped and ignored in this process.)
  • [/ol]We didnt play H2H, so it went to intradivision. we won that 55-20 versus 50-25
    If that was tied, intra league was next. We both had identical 95-46 records.
    Screw 4 and 5. I'm not looking that up.
    titanmaster_race
    agsquirrel97 said:

titanmaster_race said:

agsquirrel97 said:

Is Straw the person left off again if/when we carry 12 pitchers? That only leaves Diaz as a viable infield substitution. After that it would be Reddick or Tucker to first and Yuli plugging 2nd or 3rd?

Carrying 11 pitchers just leaves off Toro, Stubbs and Mayfield, right?

If we ever see Reddick at 1B or Yuli at 2B something has gone terribly wrong

While I agree, if we leave Straw off and take glassback Correa, we could end up with Diaz filling in for Correa and no real infield subs remaining. Not that I want to see Straw playing any position in the post season, just throwing it out there for discussion

You can replace an injured player on the roster, with the caveat that they can't play the next series (I believe). If correa is so hurt that he can't play the rest of a series I doubt he'd be able to play in the next one, so it wouldn't be a concern to replace him.
    expresswrittenconsent
    Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I found this on an on-line search:

Quote:

Under the new system, the team with the better record will open the World Series at home. If both teams have the same record, the next tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If that doesn't solve it, the team with the best record within its own division gets home-field advantage.
    Since you seem to know everything, you could have just told me (a) to look it up for myself, or (b) told me this. I mean, you come off as a complete tool by being such a dick to someone for asking a quesiton.

I mean it's not like it wasnt running across the ESPN scroll for the last 8 hrs straight and hasn't been asked and answered 10 times (nicely) on this thread in the last 24 hrs. You made the mistake, not the person you are angry with.
    Deluxe
    AG
    Have we clinched homefield throughout the playoffs yet? If the Dodgers win and we lose today, who has the tiebreaker?
    EastCoastAgNc
    AG

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
    AG
    EastCoastAgNc said:

Yessss
    Deluxe
    AG
    I did hear on Bleacher Blums that Blum is rumored to be a candidate for the Padres manager job. Selfishly I hope he's back next year because he's great but I'd be happy for him if he got that gig.
    titanmaster_race
    Deluxe said:

I did hear on Bleacher Blums that Blum is rumored to be a candidate for the Padres manager job. Selfishly I hope he's back next year because he's great but I'd be happy for him if he got that gig.

Uhh what? That sounds like a joke
    Mathguy64
    AG
    How cheap was Drayton McClain? Dave Raymond and Brett Dolan. Thats how cheap he was.
    titanmaster_race
    Also, I tried listening to bleacher blums. Obviously love Blummer, but his co-host bored the crap out of me. He was very monotone.
    titanmaster_race
    Sparky gonna keep getting wet with Julia
    Deluxe
    AG
    titanmaster_race said:

Also, I tried listening to bleacher blums. Obviously love Blummer, but his co-host bored the crap out of me. He was very monotone.

Its on episode 34 if you use the Apple Podcasts app.
    I agree that it's not a great podcast. I usually just listen for his 10-15 minutes of Astros takes.
    Prosperdick
    AG
    I have a feeling the baseball gods will smite us with all these stupid tie-breaker jokes about homefield to where we get swept in the first round and have a grand total of 2 home games in the playoffs.

So please everyone kindly stfu.
    mazag08
    AG
    After we lost Deshais, and then Bill Brown.. we had to sit through the cringeworthy Ashby. Kalas and Blum are an amazing tandem. I hope they do this forever.
    mazag08
    AG
    third coast.. said:

This threads about to get a postseason surge of posters.

They are welcome with open arms. Even the Rangers fans. Come join the flagship!
    ClickClack
    AG
    mazag08 said:

After we lost Deshais, and then Bill Brown.. we had to sit through the cringeworthy Ashby. Kalas and Blum are an amazing tandem. I hope they do this forever.

Agreed - it took a while to get over the talent we lost in Deshaies. Kalas/Blum are actually as good as what we used to have.
    mazag08
    AG
    Also, looking back on some of the OP stuff..

It definitely was not the year of the Shark.

And Harper definitely worked out for the Phillies. So glad we avoided that train wreck.
    bearkatag15
    AG
    mazag08 said:

Also, looking back on some of the OP stuff..

It definitely was not the year of the Shark.

And Harper definitely worked out for the Phillies. So glad we avoided that train wreck.

Quote:

The case for Tyler White
    Presented by bearkatag15

Quote:
    Get ready fellas, 2019 isn't the year of the shark... it's the year of more DH failures and disappointments.

I guess I was only half right on this. DH did not end up being a year of disappointments and failure.
    Teddy Perkins
    AG
    BCSGrubber
    AG
    Have we decided if both Straw and Jake can make the post season roster for would tucker have to be left off for both?
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    BCSGrubber said:

Have we decided if both Straw and Jake can make the post season roster for would tucker have to be left off for both?
    I think we can have all. 7 relievers, 4 sp's, 9 starters, 5 bench guys. The 5 being Diaz, Jake, Straw, Tucker, and Maldonado. Looking like Toro will be left off by how much pt he has gotten recently. Maybe with Miley's struggle's we include him on as a reliever and carry 8 and then have to make the Jake, Straw, Tucker decision. I personally think we are not going to carry Miley, and if we did, would think Tucker would be left off.
    McInnis
    AG
    I haven't been paying too much attention to the NL, but was looking to see who is most likely going to be the Dodger's biggest threat this morning. Maybe Atlanta. Last time I had checked on Keuchel he seemed to have turned things around. But not so much now. He lost his last three decisions including Friday, giving up 4 runs in 5 innings to finish 8-8 with a 3.75 ERA. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets after this year.

What does everyone think about the Yankee/Twin series? I really think the Twins have close to a 50% chance of winning it. With all the hype on the Astros and Yankees this season, Minnesota seems like a team that's been kind of overlooked. First team in history to hit 300 home runs in a season.
    Bregxit
    AG
    So now that we have AL home field wrapped up, what's the magic number for the WS? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Umm... 0. Or 7 I guess that we need to win to make it to the WS.
    BCSGrubber
    AG
    I don't really think anyone wants to play in Minnesota outdoors compared to the nice fall weather everywhere else.

Based on the extended forecast lows in the 30s are beginning the 11th
    Farmer1906
    AG
    Atl seems like the most obvious choice to give LA a run, but with the way the Brew Crew has played the last month, they could beat anyone as hot as they are.

Dallas is still most likely the game 1 starter. Over his last 9 starts, he has a 2.55 ERA. But his last 2 has shown some signs of issues.

I like NY's chances vs Minny. I think Minny played the softest slate of any of the AL playoff teams. They have a losing record vs teams >.500. They can mash and that matters in the postseason as base runners and rallies are harder and harder to come by in Oct. The problem is NYY can mash it just as well if not better when healthy.
    Farmer1906
    AG
    willjohnathan said:

14 if you count our wins and our opponent's losses.
    Farmer1906
    AG
    Looks like NYY are facing a similar issue with EE as we are with Carlos. There first game back will be the postseason.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/09/more-red-flags-though-yankees-edwin-encarnacion-swears-otherwise.html
    Farmer1906
    AG
    Likely Rotation if we play the As.

Quote:

Fiers or Manea are likely locks to start Games 1 and 2 of a potential AL Division Series, with whoever did not start the Wild Card Game pitching first. Homer Bailey came on strong over the past month, and he'd likely get a start in Game 3. The Game 4 starter would come down to Brett Anderson or Tanner Roark. Anderson's innings have been limited to no more than five per start over the final month, so Roark is the more likely option for Game 4, given his success since joining the A's at the Trade Deadline.
    John E
    AG
    Got a weird feeling this morning can't explain it. I think the best Astros team we'll ever see is this year. I'm excited about the playoffs but don't want season to end.

I'll be there today for 162!!

dshedd41
    S
    Best news I've heard all day.
    Love these guys!
    Gig’em Aggies!
    Bregxit
    AG
    willjohnathan said:

Thanks for indulging my silliness.
    BCSGrubber
    AG
    Farmer1906 said:

Likely Rotation if we play the As.

Quote:

Fiers or Manea are likely locks to start Games 1 and 2 of a potential AL Division Series, with whoever did not start the Wild Card Game pitching first. Homer Bailey came on strong over the past month, and he'd likely get a start in Game 3. The Game 4 starter would come down to Brett Anderson or Tanner Roark. Anderson's innings have been limited to no more than five per start over the final month, so Roark is the more likely option for Game 4, given his success since joining the A's at the Trade Deadline.

Does that mean whomever is pitching the wild card on Wednesday and come back and pitch Saturday?Not sure that is correct.
    titanmaster_race
    Safe at Home said:

I haven't been paying too much attention to the NL, but was looking to see who is most likely going to be the Dodger's biggest threat this morning.

Don't sleep on the Nats. They've been playing out of their mind lately. If they get past the WC game, I wouldn't too shocked if they best the dodgers. In fact, I think that's the most likely upset of the first round of playoffs imo.
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Bregxit said:

Thanks for indulging my silliness.

Yeah... I just read the last page or so after I replied, then felt dumb for responding.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 1136 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.