***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,712,397 Views | 74430 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by TexasRebel
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Yes... bring it on Josh. Love the confidence with this team
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

I'm not a Correa fan right now either, but this team has been scuffling recently on offense and he is still the best offensive short stop in the game when he is healthy. He played 75 games this year and hit 21 HRs... That's a better pace than Bregman.

The lineup can use that extra layer of power in the 7 hole.

Springer
Altuve
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Gurriel
Correa
Tucker
Chirinos

The lineup of death needs to happen. With how many rest days Hinch has given our players throughout the season (reasonably, in order for them to remain health in the playoffs), I feel like our win record is not indicative of our full potential.

Correa's issues are maddening....obviously it's out of his control, but his lack of communication and shadiness about everything is what's most frustrating.

I really hope his "flight" induced back strain really is something minor and they're just being extra precautious. He's obviosly ridiculously talented when healthy.

AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:



Yes... bring it on Josh. Love the confidence with this team

I think I'd like to play the Rays just because I cannot stand to hear the non stop drums in Oakland all game long.
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know if this team performs at the level its capable of, it will quickly dispatch either WC team.

We get a nice few days of rest against and get to open up with JV and Cole in front 45,000 rabid Houstonians.

Bring it on.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is the current career strikeout list. The next couple of seasons (barring injuries) should see JV rocket up. Last year he set his career high at 281 and of course broke it with 300 last night. Even at 280 a year, he could end somewhere close to Sutton in 2 years. 3 years from now at this rate he will pick off Seaver and Blyleven.

1. Nolan Ryan, 5,714
2. Randy Johnson, 4,875
3. Roger Clemens, 4,672
4. Steve Carlton, 4,136
5. Bert Blyleven, 3,701
6. Tom Seaver , 3,640
7. Don Sutton , 3,574
8. Gaylord Perry , 3,534
9. Walter Johnson, 3,508
10. Greg Maddux, 3,371
11. Phil Niekro, 3,342
12. Ferguson Jenkins, 3,192
13. Pedro Martnez , 3,154
14. Bob Gibson, 3,117
15. Curt Schilling, 3,116
16. CC Sabathia, 3,093
17. John Smoltz, 3,084
18. Justin Verlander, 3,006
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He should be in the 7-9 range when he finishes up with the Astros (assuming no extension)
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whats amazing us that he just had his best season ever at age 36.

He's allowed 66 runs and given up 36 HR. Think about that. More than half the runs he has given up all season crossed the plate as the person hitting a HR. 45 runs total were scored by HR, only 21 scored in play. He had 841 PA against, and exactly 21 of those scored by some way other than HR. That is 0.62 runs per game via a non-home run. Thats just stupid. If you didn't hit one out, you likely didnt score at all.

Every time I convince myself that Cole will win the CY I see stuff like that and change my mind.

His BAA is .171. He made the league turn into a pitcher. Cole is second at .185. He did the same thing. Thats two straight guys you face who make your team hit like a pitcher. Cole has a WHIP of 0.89. JV bettered that by 10% at 0.80.
8T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two teams that you wonder if they will make it to the league championship...

NY Yankees - 6-7 in their last 13 games

Atlanta Braves - 4-7 in their last 11 games

Most everyone else has won 7 to 9 of their last 10.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we bring up the chance he retires as an Astro for the HOF.

He was the catalyst that lead to the title in 2017. He finished runner up for the Cy in 18. This year he has a shot at the Cy and another WS. If he performs close to this level 2 more years is it enough?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I see the Astros have home field through the ALCS and are standing at 106 wins. The Dodgers have 105 wins. If the Astros and Dodgers both finish with 106, how is home field for the WS determined?
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
His cumulative stats since 2016 have actually improved.

2016
ERA+ 123
WHIP 1.185
K/9 8.5
BB/9 2.7
K/BB 3.14

2019
ERA+ 129
WHIP 1.135
K/9 9.1
BB/9 2.6
K/BB 3.54
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So I see the Astros have home field through the ALCS and are standing at 106 wins. The Dodgers have 105 wins. If the Astros and Dodgers both finish with 106, how is home field for the WS determined?


Everyone pay the **** attention.

We have home field throughout the playoffs

We own the tiebreaker with everyone

Stop asking this
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Can we bring up the chance he retires as an Astro for the HOF.

He was the catalyst that lead to the title in 2017. He finished runner up for the Cy in 18. This year he has a shot at the Cy and another WS. If he performs close to this level 2 more years is it enough?
He's almost eclipsed all the accomplishments he had as a Tiger in only 3 years with us (and of course exceeded others, like winning a WS).

If he adds a CY, which he is very likely to do, that will match his Tiger career. If he throws another no-no that also will match what he's done as a Tiger (although throwing no-no's isn't the best barometer but when listing a HOF pitcher's credentials it certainly gets mentioned).

20 game wins in a season...matched.

300 K's in a season, exceeded.

The only big carrot he's missing with us is an MVP and if Cole leaves next year there's a chance he could win it (although it would require Bregman to take a step back and Trout to miss more than half the season).

If he wins 1-2 more WS titles with us (and adds a WS MVP) I could see him retiring as an Astro. His body of work in that uniform would exceed what he did as a Tiger (and really far exceed it when you compare the amount of accolades in the amount of time).

All that being said, I could still see Cooperstown putting him in a Detroit uni.

agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is Straw the person left off again if/when we carry 12 pitchers? That only leaves Diaz as a viable infield substitution. After that it would be Reddick or Tucker to first and Yuli plugging 2nd or 3rd?

Carrying 11 pitchers just leaves off Toro, Stubbs and Mayfield, right?
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So I see the Astros have home field through the ALCS and are standing at 106 wins. The Dodgers have 105 wins. If the Astros and Dodgers both finish with 106, how is home field for the WS determined?


Everyone pay the **** attention.

We have home field throughout the playoffs

We own the tiebreaker with everyone

Stop asking this


I'm so tempted to go back and count how.many times it has been asked in the last week. At least 50, and has been mentioned more than that without someone asking.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So I see the Astros have home field through the ALCS and are standing at 106 wins. The Dodgers have 105 wins. If the Astros and Dodgers both finish with 106, how is home field for the WS determined?


Everyone pay the **** attention.

We have home field throughout the playoffs

We own the tiebreaker with everyone

Stop asking this


I'm so tempted to go back and count how.many times it has been asked in the last week. At least 50, and has been mentioned more than that without someone asking.


It's been at least 5 since yesterday morning

**** me
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agsquirrel97 said:

Is Straw the person left off again if/when we carry 12 pitchers? That only leaves Diaz as a viable infield substitution. After that it would be Reddick or Tucker to first and Yuli plugging 2nd or 3rd?

Carrying 11 pitchers just leaves off Toro, Stubbs and Mayfield, right?


If we ever see Reddick at 1B or Yuli at 2B something has gone terribly wrong
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No joke it's probably been mentioned 200 times since we finished the season series with the Yankees and the dodgers
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.google.com/search?q=tiebreaker+texags+houston+astros&oq=tiebreaker+texags+houston+astros&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.8877j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon-sscr&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So I see the Astros have home field through the ALCS and are standing at 106 wins. The Dodgers have 105 wins. If the Astros and Dodgers both finish with 106, how is home field for the WS determined?


Everyone pay the **** attention.

We have home field throughout the playoffs

We own the tiebreaker with everyone

Stop asking this
Okay, but will we have home field if we tie. Doesn't anyone know?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
titanmaster_race said:

agsquirrel97 said:

Is Straw the person left off again if/when we carry 12 pitchers? That only leaves Diaz as a viable infield substitution. After that it would be Reddick or Tucker to first and Yuli plugging 2nd or 3rd?

Carrying 11 pitchers just leaves off Toro, Stubbs and Mayfield, right?


If we ever see Reddick at 1B or Yuli at 2B something has gone terribly wrong


While I agree, if we leave Straw off and take glassback Correa, we could end up with Diaz filling in for Correa and no real infield subs remaining. Not that I want to see Straw playing any position in the post season, just throwing it out there for discussion
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You know, there are folks who open this thread infrequently and don't have time to scour the entire thing to find this answer.

You can GFY with your ********-ish answer.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

titanmaster_race said:

agsquirrel97 said:

Is Straw the person left off again if/when we carry 12 pitchers? That only leaves Diaz as a viable infield substitution. After that it would be Reddick or Tucker to first and Yuli plugging 2nd or 3rd?

Carrying 11 pitchers just leaves off Toro, Stubbs and Mayfield, right?


If we ever see Reddick at 1B or Yuli at 2B something has gone terribly wrong


While I agree, if we leave Straw off and take glassback Correa, we could end up with Diaz filling in for Correa and no real infield subs remaining. Not that I want to see Straw playing any position in the post season, just throwing it out there for discussion
If Correa is hurt enough to go out in the ALDS then he's not coming back for the ALCS. We can bring on a new player.
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure they go with number of lineups used throughout the season as the tie breaker in that case. That is why Hinch changes things up and gives a lot of days off during the year.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

You know, there are folks who open this thread infrequently and don't have time to scour the entire thing to find this answer.

You can GFY with your ********-ish answer.


It literally take 10 seconds max to google this forum tie breaker
Go **** yourself and the lazy ass you rode in on
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Pretty sure they go with number of lineups used throughout the season as the tie breaker in that case. That is why Hinch changes things up and gives a lot of days off during the year.
I thought there would be a 1 game playoff between us and LA? Can someone confirm?
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

You know, there are folks who open this thread infrequently and don't have time to scour the entire thing to find this answer.

You can GFY with your ********-ish answer.


Also people who never watch the games on tv or radio either
third coast..
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This threads about to get a postseason surge of posters.
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

3B Paul 97 said:

Pretty sure they go with number of lineups used throughout the season as the tie breaker in that case. That is why Hinch changes things up and gives a lot of days off during the year.
I thought there would be a 1 game playoff between us and LA? Can someone confirm?


You are correct, and it will be played in Arlington so that we get the last win in that ballpark ever
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this on an on-line search:

Quote:

Under the new system, the team with the better record will open the World Series at home. If both teams have the same record, the next tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If that doesn't solve it, the team with the best record within its own division gets home-field advantage.
Since you seem to know everything, you could have just told me (a) to look it up for myself, or (b) told me this. I mean, you come off as a complete tool by being such a dick to someone for asking a quesiton.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astros4545 said:

Farmer1906 said:

3B Paul 97 said:

Pretty sure they go with number of lineups used throughout the season as the tie breaker in that case. That is why Hinch changes things up and gives a lot of days off during the year.
I thought there would be a 1 game playoff between us and LA? Can someone confirm?


You are correct, and it will be played in Arlington so that we get the last win in that ballpark ever


Arlington will offer but with conditions so ultimately we will have to play it in Tampa Bay.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I found this on an on-line search:

Quote:

Under the new system, the team with the better record will open the World Series at home. If both teams have the same record, the next tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If that doesn't solve it, the team with the best record within its own division gets home-field advantage.
Since you seem to know everything, you could have just told me (a) to look it up for myself, or (b) told me this. I mean, you come off as a complete tool by being such a dick to someone for asking a quesiton.


What if we had the same record in division. What's next?
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

astros4545 said:

Farmer1906 said:

3B Paul 97 said:

Pretty sure they go with number of lineups used throughout the season as the tie breaker in that case. That is why Hinch changes things up and gives a lot of days off during the year.
I thought there would be a 1 game playoff between us and LA? Can someone confirm?


You are correct, and it will be played in Arlington so that we get the last win in that ballpark ever


Arlington will offer but with conditions so ultimately we will have to play it in Tampa Bay.


What if TB is hosting the WC day???

I hear Boston, Chicago, & KC all have available fields. And just think they've all won somewhat recently, but can't stay good.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I found this on an on-line search:

Quote:

Under the new system, the team with the better record will open the World Series at home. If both teams have the same record, the next tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If that doesn't solve it, the team with the best record within its own division gets home-field advantage.
Since you seem to know everything, you could have just told me (a) to look it up for myself, or (b) told me this. I mean, you come off as a complete tool by being such a dick to someone for asking a quesiton.


Dude it's literally on page 1134 like 20 posts before yours
I get you don't want to look for it but that is incredibly lazy