***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,729,792 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by PSully97
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rosco511 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Bregxit said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Who is comparing us to the 27 yankees?


Astros are tied with them for highest wRC ever. It has been brought up a few times i n the last week during our games and on MLB network.
No offense, and no pun intended, but aren't the 27 Yankees considered the best offense ever? We don't even have the best numbers in the majors this year.

Now, combine our hitting numbers with our pitching numbers, and I think a case can be made for this being the best overall team ever fielded.


The point of wrc+ is to be able to compare production based on different ballparks and different eras. Our WRC+ is by the best in baseball and is at the same level of the '27 Yankees. We are the best offense in baseball this season and are even better than our offense in 2017 and on the same level as the '27 Yankees. Just sit back and enjoy and appreciate it!
I was coming to post exactly this.

The whole point of wrc+ is to compare teams across eras by leveling the playing field and seeing how dominant an offense is compared to its peers.

Basically this team is just as dominant relative to its peers as the '27 Yankees. Yes, they had two amazing sluggers in Ruth and Gehrig, but this team has a substantially deeper lineup.

Head to head, this team would crush the '27 Yankees, but most modern teams would.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:


So probably 1pm again?
Here is last year's


Quote:

Friday, Oct. 5
ALDS Game 1: Indians at Astros, 2:05 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Rockies at Brewers, 4:15 p.m. (FS1)
ALDS Game 1: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 7:32 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Braves at Dodgers, 9:37 p.m. (FS1)
Saturday, Oct. 6
ALDS Game 2: Indians at Astros, 4:37 p.m. (TBS)
ALDS Game 2: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 8:15 p.m. (TBS)

Early AL was at 1:05, but we're in FS1, not TBS so maybe 3:15.

TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd like to argue with Morey that you do know the outcome of an elimination game with Harden involved.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah the braves game has to be that 1:00 slot.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:


So probably 1pm again?
Here is last year's


Quote:

Friday, Oct. 5
ALDS Game 1: Indians at Astros, 2:05 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Rockies at Brewers, 4:15 p.m. (FS1)
ALDS Game 1: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 7:32 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Braves at Dodgers, 9:37 p.m. (FS1)
Saturday, Oct. 6
ALDS Game 2: Indians at Astros, 4:37 p.m. (TBS)
ALDS Game 2: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 8:15 p.m. (TBS)

Early AL was at 1:05, but we're in FS1, not TBS so maybe 3:15.


It could depend on if we play the A's or Rays. If its the A's it would make more sense for it to be 3:15pm. If its the Rays then 1pm makes sense.

If we play the A's and its a 1pm start time then it would start at 11am in Oakland. I kinda doubt they would put a playoff game at 11am local time for one of the teams.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:


So probably 1pm again?
Here is last year's


Quote:

Friday, Oct. 5
ALDS Game 1: Indians at Astros, 2:05 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Rockies at Brewers, 4:15 p.m. (FS1)
ALDS Game 1: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 7:32 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Braves at Dodgers, 9:37 p.m. (FS1)
Saturday, Oct. 6
ALDS Game 2: Indians at Astros, 4:37 p.m. (TBS)
ALDS Game 2: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 8:15 p.m. (TBS)

Early AL was at 1:05, but we're in FS1, not TBS so maybe 3:15.


It could depend on if we play the A's or Rays. If its the A's it would make more sense for it to be 3:15pm. If its the Rays then 1pm makes sense.

If we play the A's and its a 1pm start time then it would start at 11am in Oakland. I kinda doubt they would put a playoff game at 11am local time for one of the teams.
I don't think it works like that. It'll be whatever slot ALDS/FS1 has.
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/26/houston-astros-world-series-case
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:


So probably 1pm again?
Here is last year's


Quote:

Friday, Oct. 5
ALDS Game 1: Indians at Astros, 2:05 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Rockies at Brewers, 4:15 p.m. (FS1)
ALDS Game 1: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 7:32 p.m. (TBS)
NLDS Game 2: Braves at Dodgers, 9:37 p.m. (FS1)
Saturday, Oct. 6
ALDS Game 2: Indians at Astros, 4:37 p.m. (TBS)
ALDS Game 2: A's/Yankees at Red Sox, 8:15 p.m. (TBS)

Early AL was at 1:05, but we're in FS1, not TBS so maybe 3:15.


It could depend on if we play the A's or Rays. If its the A's it would make more sense for it to be 3:15pm. If its the Rays then 1pm makes sense.

If we play the A's and its a 1pm start time then it would start at 11am in Oakland. I kinda doubt they would put a playoff game at 11am local time for one of the teams.
I don't think it works like that. It'll be whatever slot ALDS/FS1 has.
If that's the case then Houston will for sure play at 3pm. My Xfinity guide shows FS1 airing ALDS: TBD from 3pm to 6pm on Friday, Oct. 4.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have Dish Network, might want to start thinking of backup options for watching FS1 for the ALDS

Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yall wanna see something cute?

The Yankees have multiple Game One-caliber pitchers

Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yall wanna see something cute?

The Yankees have multiple Game One-caliber pitchers


Here are there 3 "Game 1 Caliber"

Paxton
3.73 ERA
3.80 FIP
4.02 xFIP

Tanaka
4.47 ERA
4.30 FIP
4.25 xFIP

Severino
0.00 ERA
1.33 FIP
2.66 xFIP
9.0 Innings Pitched



willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Paxton seems to be turning it on at the right time. Severino has looked good albeit in limited work. They are no JV and Cole, but I don't take those two lightly at all.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yall wanna see something cute?

The Yankees have multiple Game One-caliber pitchers


Here are there 3 "Game 1 Caliber"

Paxton
3.73 ERA
3.80 FIP
4.02 xFIP

Tanaka
4.47 ERA
4.30 FIP
4.25 xFIP

Severino
0.00 ERA
1.33 FIP
2.66 xFIP
9.0 Innings Pitched


Now do our game 1 starter that will have to pitch game 3
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're not bad pitchers, but you'd be laughed off this thread if you said we should start someone with a mid 4 ERA is a game 1 starter. Paxton has been slightly better than Miley on the season. Obviously they're trending the different ways, but the point stands. He's a weaker game 1 starter.

I'll take our 1, 2, and 3 over whoever their #1 is.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also don't forget Paxton has 0 IP in the postseason

That's right...No postseason experience. That's big
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:


I don't think any Bregman-for-MVP supporters have been arguing he should be MVP based on better OPS+, wRC+ and SLG. The advanced stats that adjust for his fewer ABs were always going to favor Trout.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:


I don't think any Bregman-for-MVP supporters have been arguing he should be MVP based on better OPS+, wRC+ and SLG. The advanced stats that adjust for his fewer ABs were always going to favor Trout.
Right. I was just sharing a tweet from the article.

Attendance counts. Bregman gets points for playing more. His counting numbers are starting to catch / pass Mikey. If we don't (count attendance) then why not start giving Yordan MVP run.

I don't love the WAR stat, especially for pitchers, but if Bregman can pass Trout there then I really think Bregman becomes more deserving.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those gamblers out there...



Astros are -235 tonight with Miley on the mound and no Altuve, Correa, Yuli or Springer.

+200 for LAA looks pretty tempting.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fair enough... will be interesting to see how much WAR ground Bregman can makeup in four games.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

For those gamblers out there...



Astros are -235 tonight with Miley on the mound and no Altuve, Correa, Yuli or Springer.

+200 for LAA looks pretty tempting.
Why?

Do you think Alvarez, Bregman, Brantley, TED, & Diaz suck?
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's funny to think how generally happy I would be if Alvarez, Bregman, Brantley, TED, & Diaz were our five best offensive players. Most teams would probably trade their five best offensive players for those five.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

For those gamblers out there...



Astros are -235 tonight with Miley on the mound and no Altuve, Correa, Yuli or Springer.

+200 for LAA looks pretty tempting.
Why?

Do you think Alvarez, Bregman, Brantley, TED, & Diaz suck?
Not at all. I think Miley's recent starts plus missing over 100 HRs from your lineup could make this game a bit more of a toss up than pretty much any other starter we throw and to get +200 on that is not a bad take.
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yall wanna see something cute?

The Yankees have multiple Game One-caliber pitchers


Here are there 3 "Game 1 Caliber"

Paxton
3.73 ERA
3.80 FIP
4.02 xFIP

Tanaka
4.47 ERA
4.30 FIP
4.25 xFIP

Severino
0.00 ERA
1.33 FIP
2.66 xFIP
9.0 Innings Pitched






Lol one of this guys would be lucky to be our #5 starter
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yall wanna see something cute?

The Yankees have multiple Game One-caliber pitchers


Here are there 3 "Game 1 Caliber"

Paxton
3.73 ERA
3.80 FIP
4.02 xFIP

Tanaka
4.47 ERA
4.30 FIP
4.25 xFIP

Severino
0.00 ERA
1.33 FIP
2.66 xFIP
9.0 Innings Pitched




For ****s and grins,

Astros as a team:
3.69 ERA
4.00 FIP
3.81 xFIP

NYY as a team:
4.27 ERA
4.46 FIP
4.25 xFIP

That's a full half run in each metric. How big is that? Add another half run to the Yankees staff and you get the Rangers numbers.

And the 1/2/3 starters for us:
JV
2.53 ERA
3.27 FIP
3.24 xFIP

Cole
2.52 ERA
2.66 FIP
2.49 xFIP

Greinke
3.02 ERA
3.28 FIP
3.72 xFIP
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yikes

Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yikes


Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's damn near what we rolled out for a good while earlier this season.
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And they'll somehow hang 13 runs on the Angels.
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They'll need to. Miley and his 22.09 September ERA is starting...
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:




What really grinds my gears on this is it is Correa holding himself out, not the Astros.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From just tightness and in the lineup tomorrow to out another week with hopes of returning for the playoffs.

He should lose money in arbitration this off-season.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

From just tightness and in the lineup tomorrow to out another week with hopes of returning for the playoffs.

He should lose money in arbitration this off-season.


Or trade him, which I'm somewhat leaning towards if we can find a solid deal for pitching instead.

We've managed just fine without him most of the season. Would love to have him healthy but man he is injured all the time over seemingly nothing at all, it's comical at this point and he's not reliable
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:




Wow

Just wow


Breaks his freaking ribs from a "massage"

Can't play for a week because of back "tightness" after sitting down on a 5hr chartered flight, on which there is more than enough room to move around and stretch if you were worried about getting tight.


I'm pretty much over Correa at this point.