***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,737,886 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by PSully97
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think either will want to have 11+ days between starts.

If astros have clinched by then, both will start and go 5 innings or so.

Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
True. They may keep JV in the 60-80 pitch range. I imagine Cole goes at least 5 to try and get him 20 wins.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because of the CY they will both get equal treatment and I suspect get their regular game work. 6-7 IP and roughly 95 pitches. Barring a bad game by one or the other AJ will let that be decided on the field.

Sucks to be the Angels.
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5 games left

1.5 game lead on the Yankees (we own the tiebreaker)
2 game lead on the Dodgers (we own the tiebreaker)

3-2 record should clinch home field..
Forgiven_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CoachRTM said:

5 games left

1.5 game lead on the Yankees (we own the tiebreaker)
2 game lead on the Dodgers (we own the tiebreaker)

3-2 record should clinch home field..


Naw screw that. We are going 5-0. Then 11-0 in the playoffs.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's no salary cap in baseball so why are people saying we can't sign Player X, Y, and Z if we resign Cole?

If Crane wants to open the pocket book and exceed the luxury tax then he can do it.
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hasn't he publicly said he won't spend significantly over the luxury tax?
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CoachRTM said:

5 games left

1.5 game lead on the Yankees (we own the tiebreaker)
2 game lead on the Dodgers (we own the tiebreaker)

3-2 record should clinch home field..


3-2 is guaranteed to get home field.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes I think he's publicly indicated it.

My point is there's nothing stopping him if he wants to. So to say "If we sign Cole we can't sign X, Y, and Z.' is not completely accurate. Especially when a lot of those players are under control for a few more years.

A lot can happen until they're due for contracts so to say we'd lose them for Cole is quite the stretch and not a very good analysis.
BCSGrubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the Greinke trade topic, who are the teams we could legitimately trade him to? There can't be that many that could absorb his contract.
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CoachRTM said:

5 games left

1.5 game lead on the Yankees (we own the tiebreaker)
2 game lead on the Dodgers (we own the tiebreaker)

3-2 record should clinch home field..


3-2 automatically clinches homefield since we re 2 up in the loss column. i doubt the yanks and dodgers win out. i think 2-3 gets us homefield. 105 wins will clinch but i think we end up with 106, 107 if we steal a game without the big 3.
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCSGrubber said:

On the Greinke trade topic, who are the teams we could legitimately trade him to? There can't be that many that could absorb his contract.

And the pool is even smaller with his no trade clause list.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/game-1-division-series-pitchers-ranked

1 Astro and several former Astros.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Matched last years win total with 5 left. Nice regular season!

Tough year for wild cards... teams with +30 win/loss and they are sweating!
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Kashchei said:

Cole needs to think about Texas taxes (or lack thereof) versus Kalifornia taxes

This isn't as big of a deal as you think. For one they get taxed based on where they play the individual game, and second I don't remember a high profile player taking a discount to stay in a no income tax state. I do remember all of us talking about Beltran doing it after the 2004 playoffs, but that didn't play out either.


I'm nearly positive COLE has mentioned the tax rates as something he would factor in
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astros4545 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Kashchei said:

Cole needs to think about Texas taxes (or lack thereof) versus Kalifornia taxes

This isn't as big of a deal as you think. For one they get taxed based on where they play the individual game, and second I don't remember a high profile player taking a discount to stay in a no income tax state. I do remember all of us talking about Beltran doing it after the 2004 playoffs, but that didn't play out either.


I'm nearly positive COLE has mentioned the tax rates as something he would factor in
It would be dumb not to, but it shouldn't be overstated either
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCSGrubber said:

On the Greinke trade topic, who are the teams we could legitimately trade him to? There can't be that many that could absorb his contract.


After he goes 4-0 this postseason with a 0.75 ERA

No one will be dreaming of trading him
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to go take a shower....

Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/game-1-division-series-pitchers-ranked

1 Astro and several former Astros.
Quote:

10. Mike Fiers, RHP, Athletics: With Sean Manaea likely to start the AL Wild Card Game, Fiers would appear to be A's manager Bob Melvin's best ALDS Game 1 option since he has been Oakland's most consistent starter. He had a 9.39 ERA in five starts against the Astros this season, but other options may not be more appealing. Melvin could go with lefty Brett Anderson, but the Astros have an .870 OPS against lefties, .844 against righties.
I'd rather not face the A's but good lord that 9.39 ERA and .870 OPS would be up against Verlander and Cole.
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glad the A's lost last night. That leaves the door open big time for Cleveland and Tampa Bay.

A's 94-63 (Angels, Mariners x4)
Rays 94-64 (Yankees, Blue Jays x3)
Indians 93-64 (White Sox x2, Nationals x3)

Uncle Charlie on the mound for the Rays tonight at home against the Yanks.

Pulled this from mlb.com's tiebreaker scenarios:


Quote:

Three teams tie for two Wild Card spots
If the A's, Indians and Rays were all tied, the three teams would choose/receive A, B and C designations. Club A would host Club B, and the winner would advance to the Wild Card Game. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B to decide the other Wild Card team.
Again, the three designations are decided by head-to-head records. The A's went 9-4 against the Rays and Indians, the Rays went 9-5 against the A's and Indians, and the Indians went 2-11 against the A's and Rays. So the A's would have first pick of designation and the Rays second.
This would present a fun dilemma for the club with the first choice. Would the A's prefer two shots at advancement (one at home, and, if that doesn't go well, one on the road as Club A), despite the impact that might have on their pitching with yet another sudden-death game looming in the Wild Card Game proper? Or would they prefer to take their chances on a single home game (as Club C) for a chance to get to the Wild Card Game?


Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd still take OAK over TB.

I would worry big time about our offense in that hell hole of a stadium. We're awful there.
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man. Verlander and Cole are gonna make this hard for voters. If Cole does this again in his last start, I think it's his.

And those talking about offseason free agency and cap.. how about we focus on how special what our team is doing and save that **** after we win the World Series.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'd still take OAK over TB.

I would worry big time about our offense in that hell hole of a stadium. We're awful there.
2 worst stadiums in the bigs between the two of them.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have any luck getting in on the regular people ticket sale for ALDS now?
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

I'd still take OAK over TB.

I would worry big time about our offense in that hell hole of a stadium. We're awful there.
2 worst stadiums in the bigs between the two of them.

Yep

But at least we hit in OAK
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

Anybody have any luck getting in on the regular people ticket sale for ALDS now?


I got in and got some in the way up for game 1. Kept replacing tickets till I got aisle seats... I consider that a win.

So who wants to get #gamedrunk with me before game 1?
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

The Milkman said:

Anybody have any luck getting in on the regular people ticket sale for ALDS now?


I got in and got some in the way up for game 1. Kept replacing tickets till I got aisle seats... I consider that a win.

So who wants to get #gamedrunk with me before game 1?
Hey alright! I just got game 1 tickets as well. Up in 405, but whatever.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only could get Game 3, but hey, worst case for Stros means I'm going to the game.

bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Only could get Game 3, but hey, worst case for Stros means I'm going to the game.


Do you mean game 5?
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It would be game 5 in the series, but it says game 3 because thats the 3rd home game.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Only could get Game 3, but hey, worst case for Stros means I'm going to the game.


I opted against Game 3 (game 5) because I have texans tickets for that day. Figured most likely we wont be playing in that game, and other case is it'll start after the Texans are over. If not... then I dont know what will happen
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Only could get Game 3, but hey, worst case for Stros means I'm going to the game.


I opted against Game 3 (game 5) because I have texans tickets for that day. Figured most likely we wont be playing in that game, and other case is it'll start after the Texans are over. If not... then I dont know what will happen
Texans don't play on Thursday that week? Game 5 would be on Thursday, October 17th. You should be able to do both.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The Milkman said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Only could get Game 3, but hey, worst case for Stros means I'm going to the game.


I opted against Game 3 (game 5) because I have texans tickets for that day. Figured most likely we wont be playing in that game, and other case is it'll start after the Texans are over. If not... then I dont know what will happen
Texans don't play on Thursday that week? Game 5 would be on Thursday, October 17th. You should be able to do both.
Oh I'm such an idiot. I mentally decided game 1 was Friday the 4th, so we'd be Friday-Sunday like a regular series.

I really have no idea what I was thinking.

Game 5 would be the 10th.
ElCheAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

The Milkman said:

Anybody have any luck getting in on the regular people ticket sale for ALDS now?


I got in and got some in the way up for game 1. Kept replacing tickets till I got aisle seats... I consider that a win.

So who wants to get #gamedrunk with me before game 1?
Hey alright! I just got game 1 tickets as well. Up in 405, but whatever.


We're in 405 as well for Game 1. If you have an extra O2 tank you can spare, bring it.
Basketball and Chain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got two in section 437, row 3 for game 1. It says obstructed view, but from what I can tell, that's just the foul pole. Anyone sat up there before?