***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,538 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was curious about this the other day and looked it up. Can't figure why 2019 numbers are blank. I've been really encouraged by his desire to go oppo.

One thing I learned from his career spray chart is that he was much more an all field hitter than I expected to see.
Farmer1906
AG
His oppo & center is up and his pull is way down. Last year he pulled the ball more than any other year.
Harry Dunne
I'm not able to post the graphic, I'll try taking a screenshot later. What I noticed was what both guys above said - he pulled the ball a lot more last season but over his career has hit the ball to all fields much more than I expected, especially ground balls. A lot of singles the opposite way and even doubles. The exception was HR, which were almost exclusively to the pull side.
Ag_07
AG
I just think it's nice to see a guy set a goal, focus on it, work at it, and see results.

In a time when there's a lot of talk surrounding doing away with the shift because it kills offense, it's cool to see a professional actually be a professional and learn to beat it rather than take the easy way out and just say do away with it or settle for the negative outcome.

For instance...Joey Gallo. Dude for the life of him can't even manage to squib one to the left side or even learn to bunt. Instead he sits there a pounds ground balls into the shift and is OK with the easy outs.

Props to Reddick for the work he's put in and results he's getting.
Deluxe
AG
I love 2019 Reddick and hated 2018 Reddick. We need guys at the bottom of the order who can keep the line moving and he's playing that role perfectly this year. I don't care that his OPS this year isn't much better than last year. Keep getting on base. He's not a good enough pull-power hitter to be successful over time hitting into the shift. If the defense is giving him the left side, take it with a smile.
AustinCountyAg
YES!.....I remember listening to Astroline one night in the winter and Reddick was on. He specifically talked about working more going opposite field taking what the defense gives him. I agree 100% with you. It's nice to see a professional take a professional approach.
Beat40
Like Blum said last night. It's really nice to see him take what the defense gives him, but then still be willing to turn on a pitch he feels he can hit for a HR. Hopefully see see that a little more this season as well.
Daddy-O5
AG
spadilly said:

April baseball > first round NBA playoffs

I'll be honest, I haven't watched a lot of Astros so far this year, only been able to catch a couple of full games. So when I had a semi free night last night to horse around in the garage and watch the game I almost had a minor meltdown when the rockets were on and I was having a hard time finding the ALT channel.
Harry Dunne
Right on.

Also just like Reddick as a human and I'm glad to see him become an important part of the offense again.
Ag_07
AG
From an MLB.com article titled Best Bullpen Trios in Baseball

Quote:

1) Astros -- .176
Ryan Pressly, Roberto Osuna, Hector Rondon

You should hopefully, at this point, not be surprised by Pressly. We talked him up as a big trade piece to target when he was still with the Twins last July. We explained how he was using his high spin to dominate when he was with Houston last September. We named him as one of the "10 Best Relievers Right Now" in January. He's elite, even if he still feels anonymous. So far in 2019: He has nine strikeouts without a walk in 7 2/3 scoreless innings.

Osuna, for what it's worth, has yet to allow a walk or an extra-base hit, and Rondon has allowed only one walk, meaning that combined, this trio has a 25/1 K/BB ratio. Yes, that will help make them the best in the game.
Deluxe
AG
Considering the state of our bullpen mid-2018, that's a very impressive turnaround, especially considering how little we gave up to get Pressly and Osuna.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Ag_07
AG
Still so dumb of him.

He could've done that months ago when it was clear what the market was.

It's honestly baffling how poorly they handled this.
Deluxe
AG
If your choice was to sign Keuchel to a 1 year, $20 million deal now or preserve the $20 million for the trade deadline and enter the MadBum sweepstakes or grab a bopper DH, what would you do? I'd lean toward waiting until the deadline.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe said:

If your choice was to sign Keuchel to a 1 year, $20 million deal now or preserve the $20 million for the trade deadline and enter the MadBum sweepstakes or grab a bopper DH, what would you do? I'd lean toward waiting until the deadline.

WES2006AG
AG
Deluxe said:

I'd have to imagine that if anyone was offering anything near $20 mill he would have already signed.
Deluxe
AG
I think a $20 million AAV might be out there for him on a 1 year deal, maybe 2, but probably not on anything more than than that.
iBrad
AG
I'll be surprised if anyone offers him a one-year deal worth more than the qualifying offer he got from us.
MAROON
AG
I don't think anyone will offer him a one year deal before the draft. If they do they owe the Astros a compensatory pick.

Boros has done him no favors this year.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag_07
AG
No way anyone is touching $20M for Keuchel

Let's do some quick math...

$20M for a full season at 34 starts a season (his 2018 total) comes to about $588,000 per start

He's missed 4 starts already plus needs a bit of time in AAA so let's say he misses another 3 starts.

At the $20M rate that comes to a $4.1M discount or a total of $15.9M for the remainder of the year. I'd give him $15M and tell him to take it or leave it.

I'm no super-agent like Boras, but I'm thinking he should've taken that $17.9M qualifying offer.
Harry Dunne
I really think giving up the draft pick is the main deterrent to all other teams right now. It's not just the money, it's the money plus however much they value that pick at.

The draft pick is inconsequential to Keuchel, he just wants the money. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone sign him immediately after the draft for a higher number than expected but without giving up the pick.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20121222-what-is-the-value-of-a-draft-pick-in-major-league-baseball.ece

Good article, a little bit old but addresses the topic well.

Quote:

For that reason, even a second-round draft pick usually will be too steep a price to pay for all but the most elite free agents, or those who could represent the last piece of the puzzle for a World-series contending team -- unless that player can be had for less than the acquiring team believes he is worth.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that's a good point but at the same time if he goes that long then he's only gonna be pitching for close to just a 1/2 season.

No one is gonna wanna overpay for a pitcher who's only pitching the 2nd half, hasn't pitched in MLB action since October, and is gone at the end of the year.

He's f@#$ed
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

I'd prefer Dallas over Madbum.
TREX01
Ummm, what
W
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

spadilly said:

April baseball > first round NBA playoffs

I'll be honest, I haven't watched a lot of Astros so far this year, only been able to catch a couple of full games. So when I had a semi free night last night to horse around in the garage and watch the game I almost had a minor meltdown when the rockets were on and I was having a hard time finding the ALT channel.
absolutely April baseball is better.

the Rockets-Jazz series is a glorified scrimmage
W
AG
definitely save the $20 MM for the trade deadline.

find a good player that fills a need...and has 1.5 years left on his contract. Or at most 2.5 years
ChAg1799
AG
iBrad said:

I'll be surprised if anyone offers him a one-year deal worth more than the qualifying offer he got from us.

They won't until after the draft so they don't have to forfeit a draft pick...
W
AG
speaking of Reddick and his .314 batting average...

he doesn't have enough AB's (51) to be listed (qualified) among the league leaders.

Hinch needs to keep him in the lineup

(edit...plate appearances)
Farmer1906
AG
TREX01 said:

Ummm, what
I would prefer to sign Dallas then trade for Madison Bumgarner.

Madbum is sitting 190th (min 25 PA) in xwOBA. The league avg in hard-hit balls is just under 37%. He's allowing almost 52%. He's in for a very rough regression after a "hot" start.

Unless we have some crazy injuries, I would prefer to do neither. I'm not even sure it makes sense to add anything at the deadline. Maybe another plus bullpen arm, but that is about it. We need to riad the Giants. Their bullpen has been ridiculously good so far.
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
And guess what...He's still dribbling
irish pete ag06
AG
dshedd14 said:

I know I've mentioned it but my wife was a Rangerette with her. Muscular legs are my weakness.
Faustus
Thank me later.

Ag_07
AG
2nd off night of the week means I snuck over to get a laugh at the North Texas Nut Checkers fanclub.

Sure enough like clockwork...

One of them is still adamant Odor is gonna finish his career as a top 10-15 all-time 2nd baseman.

They are all giddy that they're going to get an top tier 'MarkTexeira-eqsue' haul for Mike Minor.
irish pete ag06
AG
Faustus said:

Thank me later.

Not my proudest fap.
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.