***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

2,651,318 Views | 55371 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by bearkatag15
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mathguy86 said:

Ag13 said:

BMo said:

What is the best way to sell my electronic tickets to Wednesday's game? May want to though my chance to see Cole pitch.

Would a game be cancelled due to flooding?
Well it's against the Rangers, so it may be moved to Tampa Bay


Or just played in Arlington.
You know, it's not fair to their fans this time of year.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27625870/what-watch-last-two-weeks-regular-season
Quote:


What to watch for over the last two weeks of the regular season

Mike Trout out for remainder of season: AL MVP up for grabs?

After Trout missed his eighth game in a row Sunday, the Angels announced he would have season-ending surgery for a nerve issue in his right foot, something called Morton's neuroma (a thickening of the tissue around a nerve leading to the toes, creating pain in the ball of the foot). So Trout's final numbers: 134 games, .291/.438/.645, 45 home runs, 110 runs, 104 RBIs. He leads the AL in home runs, OBP, slugging and WAR. His lead over Alex Bregman in WAR entering Sunday was 8.3 to 7.4 (Baseball-Reference) and 8.6 to 7.3 (FanGraphs). Bregman went 1-for-3 on Sunday and is hitting .295/.420/.579 with 36 home runs, 114 runs and 104 RBIs.

Does Bregman have a chance to pass Trout in the MVP race? Working in Bregman's favor: Trout plays for a bad team and won't play at all the final two weeks. MVP voters don't give as much weight to playing on a playoff team as they used to, but they still give some weight. Also, Trout's 136 total games would be low for an MVP winner, although not unprecedented. Mookie Betts played 136 last year and beat Trout in the voting. Bregman's triple-slash line won't match Trout's, but with a strong final two weeks, Bregman will have impressive counting numbers, will be close to Trout in WAR -- and will play for a division winner.
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at A's schedule they have next six against Royals and then Rangers. Followed by Angels and Mariners. Their schedule is as easy as ours - we just need to focus on winning our next 5.

Also of note - their next two games are Mexican Heritage night followed by Irish Heritage night.....back to back
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:

Also of note - their next two games are Mexican Heritage night followed by Irish Heritage night.....back to back

Good call on avoiding Thirsty Thursday on either of those promo nights.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So $1 churros night followed by $5 green beer night. At least they aren't doing them together.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

speaking of Yordan and Tucker...

it's amazing how their performances in 2019 have shifted so much of the leverage to the Astros front office...with regard to the five 2020 free agents (Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Marisnick, Yuli)

at this point only 2 of those 5 may be playing for Houston in 2021
Yea it's hard for me to imagine we haven't budgeted money to pay Springer.

Jake and Reddick are replacement value players. We already have guys on the roster who can roughly do what they do for much cheaper. If either is looking for $$ after their next deal is up, it won't be from us. Possible Reddick might not even be around through the end of his deal in 2020 (if we can creatively find a taker).

Brantley and Yuli are interesting cases. I suspect our decisions on other key players (ie Cole and Correa) will influence whether or not we can keep these two around. Part of me thinks Yuli likes it here (it's all he's ever known in America) and would sign a team friendly deal to stay if he's still productive. Part of me thinks we need to enjoy these two years with Brantley because we might not be able to afford to retain him.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For me, Trout is the best player in baseball. Bregman is the MVP. His team might (probably?) not have won the Division if he had missed the same 30 games Trout will miss. That's the definition of valuable.
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
suburban cowboy said:

How much do you want and where are the seats?
I'd take $30 each and they are in right field, half way up from the wall in the second section over from the foul pole. Aisle seats. Not sure how to transfer them since they can't be printed.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

For me, Trout is the best player in baseball. Bregman is the MVP. His team might (probably?) not have won the Division if he had missed the same 30 games Trout will miss. That's the definition of valuable.
Switch Trout & Bregman and assume Trout can play IF. How different is our record?

Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when Correa starts to get worked back in the next couple weeks will he look like last year's injured-version of Correa? The caution the Astros are using with him makes me nervous

mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

For me, Trout is the best player in baseball. Bregman is the MVP. His team might (probably?) not have won the Division if he had missed the same 30 games Trout will miss. That's the definition of valuable.
Switch Trout & Bregman and assume Trout can play IF. How different is our record?


If Trout plays the same number of games? Depends on the position. He's only 1 game better than Bregman on WAR, and I'm not sure you would actually see a full game improvement because the rest of the team is just that good. Production wise, Yuli has matched Trout since Mid June. Correa and Bregman when healthy? Within the same close area. Yordan at DH has been better since he's come up. Springer when healthy is very close. Brantley is a different kind of player. The best bang for the buck would be Trout in CF full time and George in RF full time. We are not that much better with Trout on the INF because he's not that much of an upgrade. We might be 3 games better than with Reddick. That doesn't change the fact that he's the best player in MLB, playing on a horrible team and a horribly run organization.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

For me, Trout is the best player in baseball. Bregman is the MVP. His team might (probably?) not have won the Division if he had missed the same 30 games Trout will miss. That's the definition of valuable.
Switch Trout & Bregman and assume Trout can play IF. How different is our record?


If Trout plays the same number of games? Depends on the position. He's only 1 game better than Bregman on WAR, and I'm not sure you would actually see a full game improvement because the rest of the team is just that good. Production wise, Yuli has matched Trout since Mid June. Correa and Bregman when healthy? Within the same close area. Yordan at DH has been better since he's come up. Springer when healthy is very close. Brantley is a different kind of player. The best bang for the buck would be Trout in CF full time and George in RF full time. We are not that much better with Trout on the INF because he's not that much of an upgrade. We might be 3 games better than with Reddick. That doesn't change the fact that he's the best player in MLB, playing on a horrible team and a horribly run organization.


Ummm what? We're only 3 games better if we replace Reddick with Trout?
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:


Ummm what? We're only 3 games better if we replace Reddick with Trout?
He's not going to magically win 8 games all by himself. This team is so good that other players pick each other up. I just don't see Trout taking 8 losing games and turning them into wins all by himself. 3-4 sounds about right. Its an impact and 3-4 is bigger than you think.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who knows and at this point I'm kinda over Carlos for this year.

He's frustrating as hell and I realized I'm just better off not expecting anything from him. This way whatever production we do get is a welcomed surprise.

If he comes back and rakes then awesome. If he comes back and sucks then it's what I expected.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:


Ummm what? We're only 3 games better if we replace Reddick with Trout?
He's not going to magically win 8 games all by himself. This team is so good that other players pick each other up. I just don't see Trout taking 8 losing games and turning them into wins all by himself. 3-4 sounds about right. Its an impact and 3-4 is bigger than you think.
I'm not taking either side on this, but WAR isn't a precise representation of how many games a player "magically wins all by himself". It's an estimate of their overall value. So if you spread those 30 extra Trout HR and all the other hits and walks (Trout has 110 more total bases than Reddick) and superior defensive play in CF and so on, they estimate that a team would win 7-8 more games with Trout than with Reddick.

It's just as much of a guess to say 3-4 as it is to say 7-8. We probably have 30 games in which a timely HR would have been the difference and we probably also have 30 games (both won and lost) in which it wouldn't have mattered a bit.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another day without Astros baseball. Lame.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for the postseason to begin.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dallas%92s last 6 starts. I really hope he%92s instrumental in Atl knocking out LA.

Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's gonna be so bummed this winter his choices are to sign a 3/$36 deal with ATL or hold out again
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

He's gonna be so bummed this winter his choices are to sign a 3/$36 deal with ATL or hold out again
I hope he's more bummed that he missed out on another ring with us.
MuckRaker96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best stat yet for the AL ROY

Yordan is currently 151st in the AL in games played this year

But he's tied for 34th in homers
And tied for 32nd in RBI

If he plays the rest of the games this season, he's going to come up about 130 plate appearance short of qualifying for the BA/SLG/OBP/OBS "titles".

Based on his current numbers, which are:
.315 / .667 / .415 / 1.084,

If he did qualify, he'd rank:
4th in batting average
3rd in OBP (behind Trout and Bregs)
1st in SLG (only Trout and Cruz are over .600)
1st in OPS by 0.001 over Trout

mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If he played every day all season we would be talking at least 2/3 of the triple crown and in the discussion for the other 1/3
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:


Also of note - their next two games are Mexican Heritage night followed by Irish Heritage night.....back to back
There's a beto joke in there somewhere.
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

Another day without Astros baseball. Lame.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for the postseason to begin.

ikwym, but, remember no tk and blummer for postseason games
https://ts.la/eric59704
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Troutslime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Phrasing said:


Also of note - their next two games are Mexican Heritage night followed by Irish Heritage night.....back to back
There's a beto joke in there somewhere.


He's throwing the first pitch in both games.
Oyster DuPree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will John Travolta ever learn to check the schedule?
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whew. I thought I missed it today!
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI, Fanatics has 59FIFTY Low Profile fitted Apollo 11 caps in stock. Get 25% off with code PLAYBOOK.

https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/houston-astros/houston-astros-new-era-turn-back-the-clock-apollo-throwback-low-profile-59fifty-fitted-hat-navy/o-3421+t-14550829+p-81502552478+z-9-1120508657?_ref=p-SRP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

Normal here:
https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/houston-astros/houston-astros-new-era-cooperstown-collection-turn-back-the-clock-throwback-59fifty-fitted-hat-navy/o-1210+t-92882007+p-58831474359+z-9-1023501401


Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
THANK YOU!

****s gunna be gone fast. It said only 5 left when I bought one (7-1/2).
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought a low pro 7 1/4
Woohooo
J.D. c/o 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ditto. Thanks. Just picked mine up too.
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! Ordered
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Bought the last 7 3/4. Thanks!
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

FYI, Fanatics has 59FIFTY Low Profile fitted Apollo 11 caps in stock. Get 25% off with code PLAYBOOK.

https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/houston-astros/houston-astros-new-era-turn-back-the-clock-apollo-throwback-low-profile-59fifty-fitted-hat-navy/o-3421+t-14550829+p-81502552478+z-9-1120508657?_ref=p-SRP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

Normal here:
https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/houston-astros/houston-astros-new-era-cooperstown-collection-turn-back-the-clock-throwback-59fifty-fitted-hat-navy/o-1210+t-92882007+p-58831474359+z-9-1023501401





This post was clutch. Thank you sir!
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
7 5/8 ordered much appreciated
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
Page 1047 of 1583
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.