***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,466 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Walk off for Bichette!

That is not very consistent of their bullpen.

Had certainly thought about making a joke about that, just was too lazy to look back at who made it. It's amazing what looks consistent when you don't watch every game. I guess he was right though, the Yankees consistency has led to a 97-52 record and the Astros inconsistency has led to a 96-53 record, pretty disappointing.

I don't recall who made that point either. They may be 100% right, but I get the feeling it was based on feeling and not facts. How would you define offensive consistency? The standard deviation of scores? And for the bullpen? That he even more difficult.

Right now we're trying to balance winning home field, staying/getting healthy for the playoffs, & getting the enough reps in. They all kind of fight against each other. If we can manage to do all 3 or at least 2/3 then this organization deserves another pat on the back.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

and the Angels have shut down Justin Upton for the season. That's the second veteran. We'll see who's next.

Upton only played in 63 games this year while making a cool $18 MM.

he's on the books for $21 MM next year and under contract thru the 2022 season.

that's how LAAA rolls

Easy to see why Trout wants to finish his career there
redline248
AG
Can't remember which poster does the Vince Vega gifs, but here's one to add to your collection.

Marvin
AG
Hopefully that dinger will get the offense rolling this weekend... not 20+ runs, please, but a good 8-11 per game will be just fine. Leave some in the tank, haha.

Looking forward to Greinke holding down the fort tonight. I'll be channel surfing like a fool between the Astros and Aggies.
CFTXAG10
AG
I was watching the tail end of that TOR-NYY game from the 8th inning on while simultaneously watching the Stros. I gotta say, after playing them a couple weeks ago and going 2-1, and seeing them fight last night that is a scrappy young ball club. We appreciate the help!

n_touch
If they do it right they Jays will be the Astros in the next 2-3 years.
Farmer1906
AG
TED Update

#1 in barrel %
#3 in hard hit% (behind Yordan & George)
#2 in exit velo (behind Yordan)
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

If they do it right they Jays will be the Astros in the next 2-3 years.

I love their young core of Biggio, Vlad Jr, Bo, & Gurriel.
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

Really gotta give credit to Kyle Tucker for kick starting that rally. The mainstream media will focus on the Springer home run, but Tucker coming up big and getting on base to set it up is the real story. That's the guy you want at the plate in high leverage.
Like any very young ballplayer Tucker has a lot of things to work on, but you can see the talent and that he is X number of ABs away from fulfilling his potential...Ted Williams and Christian Yelich and comparisons were a little premature and a reach, but I would be shocked if he was not eventually better than Reddick in his prime, which means he probably needs to be getting the bulk of the ABs over Reddick in decline.
W
AG
the Blue Jays might be the team most impacted by the new CBA in 2 years.

especially with the expectation that young players like Vlad Jr., little Biggio, and little Bichette will reach free agency a year or two sooner.

they may not want to stay in Toronto
AggiEE
Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Really gotta give credit to Kyle Tucker for kick starting that rally. The mainstream media will focus on the Springer home run, but Tucker coming up big and getting on base to set it up is the real story. That's the guy you want at the plate in high leverage.
Like any very young ballplayer Tucker has a lot of things to work on, but you can see the talent and that he is X number of ABs away from fulfilling his potential...Ted Williams and Christian Yelich and comparisons were a little premature and a reach, but I would be shocked if he was not eventually better than Reddick in his prime, which means he probably needs to be getting the bulk of the ABs over Reddick in decline.

Tucker should be getting at least 50% of starts from here to the end of the season vs Reddout

Whoever performs better deserves to start in the playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Tucker should be getting at least 50% of starts from here to the end of the season vs Reddout

You want to base who deserves to start the postseason on a 6/7 games each?
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Not entirely, we know Reddout has hit like garbage most of the season and Tucker has done well in AAA. That should factor into it as well.

Also track stats like exit velo, hard hit %, etc.
AustinCountyAg
You do not start Tucker over Reddick in the playoffs. You only do that if you want to piss off the team and ruin their team chemistry.

GTFO with that idea.
AggiEE
AustinCountyAg said:

You do not start Tucker over Reddick in the playoffs. You only do that if you want to piss off the team and ruin their team chemistry.

GTFO with that idea.

Nobody outside of Reddout should be pissed about being on the bench

You play your best players in the post-season, and Reddout hasn't earned his spot
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

GTFO with that idea.

You think the players will be pissed of about who the 9th player in the starting line up is and not focused on winning a title. The players aren't dumb. They know who's better and who gives them the best shot to win.
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Not entirely, we know Reddout has hit like garbage most of the season and Tucker has done well in AAA. That should factor into it as well.

I think the whole board knows I'm a Ted believer, but I wish he had gotten an extended opportunity to play in the bigs before being forced into postseason baseball. Let him cut his teeth for 150-200 ABs.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

I think the whole board knows I'm a Ted believer, but I wish he had gotten an extended opportunity to play in the bigs before being forced into postseason baseball. Let him cut his teeth for 150-200 ABs.

I wish he had more ABs too, but it is what it is.

He looks really good at the plate, better than Reddick so far based on a few stat measures.

I still think you start him in the playoffs, because a struggling Tucker is no different than a normal Reddout this year.

There's simply too much potential upside and little downside.

I'd only start a Reddout if he somehow managed to get extremely hot going into the playoffs.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

GTFO with that idea.

You think the players will be pissed of about who the 9th player in the starting line up is and not focused on winning a title. The players aren't dumb. They know who's better and who gives them the best shot to win.

Damn right they would be pissed. Reddick has been a team guy and has earned It. TED hasn't done **** in his career yet. Remember Hinch sticking with Springer last year when he was hitting like crap. It's very similar. Not saying Tucker doesn't deserve to start a game here or there in the postseason but you don't completely sit Reddick for Tucker.

AggiEE
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

GTFO with that idea.

Damn right they would be pissed. Reddick has been a team guy and has earned It. TED hasn't done **** in his career yet. Remember Hinch sticking with Springer last year when he was hitting like crap. It's very similar. Not saying Tucker doesn't deserve to start a game here or there in the postseason but you don't completely sit Reddick for Tucker.

You should never play a starter simply because he's a good "clubhouse guy". Otherwise teams should sign comedians instead of ball players.

Reddick hasn't earned anything, his stats this year are abysmal and he's proven to not be effective in the post season either. I like the guy from what I can tell from a television, he's got personality, but that doesn't win ball games

Springer is not an appropriate comparison
W
AG
how quickly we forget...

Beltran saw his playing time reduced significantly in the 2017 postseason because he slumped in the 2nd half.

he only played in 10 of 18 postseason games and had just 21 plate appearances.

only 3 AB's in the 7-game world series
redline248
AG
What are Reddick's stats since Tucker was promoted?
AustinCountyAg
You might edit your post agin. I never said Reddick was a good "clubhouse guy"
AggiEE
AustinCountyAg said:

You might edit your post agin. I never said Reddick was a good "clubhouse guy"

okay, well please tell me how Reddick has earned his spot? He plays pretty badly in playoff games. He's had one of the worst seasons of his career.

How does his lack of starting "ruin team chemistry?" I don't see it. Beltran, as noted, great leader and clubhouse guy, didn't play much in the 2017 playoffs.

You still keep Reddick on the Roster...he just doesn't start by default. You play him during key situations or if the match-up makes better sense.
Hulla Baller
AG
Do we even know how good Tucker is defensively? He's pretty much unproven in the outfield. Even if Reddick doesn't have the same bat production, I would take his defense in the outfield. I think we will get plenty of production from the other guys.
AggiEE
Hulla Baller said:

Do we even know how good Tucker is defensively? He's pretty much unproven in the outfield. Even if Reddick doesn't have the same bat production, I would take his defense in the outfield. I think we will get plenty of production from the other guys.
he's not unproven in the outfield...that's his main position.

he's about average, made a good play the other day.

If he's any worse than Reddick, it's not by much. Reddick is merely average for that position. I'm not really sure why we ever got the notion that Reddick was some superstar defender, because he's not.
Philip J Fry
AG
Mainly because other teams know not to run on reddicks arm.
Prosperdick
AG
AggiEE said:

Hulla Baller said:

If he's any worse than Reddick, it's not by much. Reddick is merely average for that position. I'm not really sure why we ever got the notion that Reddick was some superstar defender, because he's not.
We don't know how Tucker will play right field, and that's the concern, especially in the playoffs. Bad things can happen when a right fielder misplays a ball. I guarantee you Reddick doesn't drift back slowly like Cruz did here:

AggiEE
Prosperdick said:

AggiEE said:

Hulla Baller said:

We don't know how Tucker will play right field, and that's the concern, especially in the playoffs. Bad things can happen when a right fielder misplays a ball. I guarantee you Reddick doesn't drift back slowly like Cruz did here:

He's played the outfield throughout his career in AAA.

If there were concerns about his defense, I don't think he'd be playing out there (similar to Yordan not playing 1B)
redline248
AG
Since Tucker was called up on Sept 2 here are his and Reddick's stats:

Tucker: 8/30, .266, 1 HR, 5 Runs, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 9 K
Reddick: 9/27, .333, 2 HR, 5 Runs, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 6 K

I don't think Tucker has separated himself enough to bench Reddick so easily.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

Since Tucker was called up on Sept 2 here are his and Reddick's stats:

Tucker: 8/30, .266, 1 HR, 5 Runs, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 9 K
Reddick: 9/27, .333, 2 HR, 5 Runs, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 6 K

I don't think Tucker has separated himself enough to bench Reddick so easily.

What about exit velo, hard hit %, etc?
Mathguy64
AG
If there were plans for Tucker to be playing significantly in the playoffs he would be playing every inning of every game. He's not and its not happening short of an injury.
Prosperdick
AG
AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

AggiEE said:

Hulla Baller said:

He's played the outfield throughout his career in AAA.

If there were concerns about his defense, I don't think he'd be playing out there (similar to Yordan not playing 1B)
AAA ain't the majors and it certainly isn't the playoffs. He definitely let the pressure get to him last season and looked lost at the plate. He definitely looks better this time around but Reddick has played under the big lights of the playoffs, Tucker hasn't and like I said, bad things can happen if you screw around in right field.

That's my other concern with him...last season he didn't go 100% all the time, possibly because he was so dejected at how poorly he was hitting, who knows.

This is a pointless argument because Hinch is VERY conservative so at most you'll see Tucker as a pinch hitter or possibly a start early in the playoffs if we jump out early to a 2-0 lead, for instance.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

GTFO with that idea.

George is in his prime. Every single year of his career is about or better than Reddick's best year. Unlike Reddick, George is actually the the leader in the clubhouse. There also wasn't a player of the bench likely better than him. All and all this is a poor comparison.

Farmer1906
AG
The bright lights of the playoffs turned Reddick into a .577 OPS player.
First Page Last Page
Page 1038 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.