***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,726 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Really gotta give credit to Kyle Tucker for kick starting that rally. The mainstream media will focus on the Springer home run, but Tucker coming up big and getting on base to set it up is the real story. That's the guy you want at the plate in high leverage.
Like any very young ballplayer Tucker has a lot of things to work on, but you can see the talent and that he is X number of ABs away from fulfilling his potential...Ted Williams and Christian Yelich and comparisons were a little premature and a reach, but I would be shocked if he was not eventually better than Reddick in his prime, which means he probably needs to be getting the bulk of the ABs over Reddick in decline.

Tucker should be getting at least 50% of starts from here to the end of the season vs Reddout

Whoever performs better deserves to start in the playoffs

You want to base who deserves to start the postseason on a 6/7 games each?

Nope

Don't forget Tucker's AAA stats. Those stand for a lot
AggiEE
I just feel with how streaky our offense is, and how completely unreliable our bullpen is, we're going to need all the firepower we can get

Hinch is way too conservative though, I think we need to be bold in the playoffs

Springer
Altuve
Brantley
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Gurriel
Tucker
Chirinos

I don't think there's a better lineup in the league
Ag_07
AG
He's not being conservative. He's only doing what won him 100+ games for the past 3 seasons.

You act like we're a borderline playoff team with nothing to lose and need to take chances because we're playing with house money.

This isn't 2015. Our lineup as-is is the best in the league.

Yes Tucker is probably better than Reddick but it's more dynamic than that.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

He's not being conservative. He's only doing what won him 100+ games for the past 3 seasons.

You act like we're a borderline playoff team with nothing to lose and need to take chances because we're playing with house money.

We are up there with many teams this season, and anything can happen in the playoffs

You use your beat lineup, period. I don't think Reddick is in that lineup as a starter. Yes, he's more of a known quantity.
MelvinUdall
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

We are up there with many teams this season, and anything can happen in the playoffs

You use your beat lineup, period. I don't think Reddick is in that lineup as a starter. Yes, he's more of a known quantity.

I agree from an offensive perspective, but I would rather have him in the OF than Tucker, and if he is a hole in the lineup, then so be it. We aren't even full strength offensively with Correa being out, I will sacrifice two spots in the line up at C and OF, if it means with have the best D on the field.
agdaddy04
AG
AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

AggiEE said:

Hulla Baller said:

Do we even know how good Tucker is defensively? He's pretty much unproven in the outfield. Even if Reddick doesn't have the same bat production, I would take his defense in the outfield. I think we will get plenty of production from the other guys.
he's not unproven in the outfield...that's his main position.

he's about average, made a good play the other day.

If he's any worse than Reddick, it's not by much. Reddick is merely average for that position. I'm not really sure why we ever got the notion that Reddick was some superstar defender, because he's not.
We don't know how Tucker will play right field, and that's the concern, especially in the playoffs. Bad things can happen when a right fielder misplays a ball. I guarantee you Reddick doesn't drift back slowly like Cruz did here:

He's played the outfield throughout his career in AAA.

If there were concerns about his defense, I don't think he'd be playing out there (similar to Yordan not playing 1B)

Playing RF in MMP is one of the hardest positions to play. You keep bringing up AAA like those stats are meaningful at all.
AggiEE
Has Tucker botched anything up in RF?

Y'all act like he's this huge defensive risk...I don't see it
MelvinUdall
AggiEE said:

No, however I think most if not all would consider Reddick as superior defender compared to Tucker and if in a playoff series, he has the ability to save a run.
AggiEE
MelvinUdall said:

AggiEE said:

No, however I think most if not all would consider Reddick as superior defender compared to Tucker and if in a playoff series, he has the ability to save a run.

The way I look at it, is how many opportunities will Reddick's supposed superior defense have the ability to save a run in a game...

Vs.. Tucker's superior offense able to score a run?

The latter is something that will occur a lot more frequently, which is why you start Tucker
redline248
AG
What superior offense?
Prosperdick
AG
Apparently a two week stretch against some sub par teams has made him superior. I also hear his AAA time thrown around a lot and if his defense evenly translates we should be scared because Tucker had lots of poor streaks this year in the minors against arms weaker than what he's faced.

In other words, he's been VERY streaky and what happens if he goes into a cold streak in October?
AggiEE
Prosperdick said:

Apparently a two week stretch against some sub par teams has made him superior. I also hear his AAA time thrown around a lot and if his defense evenly translates we should be scared because Tucker had lots of poor streaks this year in the minors against arms weaker than what he's faced.

In other words, he's been VERY streaky and what happens if he goes into a cold streak in October?

Can't be worse than Reddick with almost a year long slump
redline248
AG
AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

...and yet he still has a better average in the majors than Tucker
Mathguy64
AG
Im watching the football game and have baseball savant open. We saw 5 pitches in the 1st? 5?
Oyster DuPree
AG
mathguy86 said:

Im watching the football game and have baseball savant open. We saw 5 pitches in the 1st? 5?

To be fair, three batters struck out on one pitch like in that bugs bunny cartoon
AgSportsFan89
AG
At first glance, I was so sure he hit the plate.
titanmaster_race
How is that not blocking the plate by Chirinos?
Mathguy64
AG
He's safe
Pahdz
Correct call, maybe if Tucker made a better throw to Bregman he would have been out
mwm
New York. What else would you expect?
AgSportsFan89
AG
Got out of it with only the 1 run. Not terrible. C'mon offense, let's wake up now.
Mathguy64
AG
Bregxit.
mwm
He's coming for you, Trout.
Bregxit
AG
Yo
AgSportsFan89
AG
Tucker with 2 stolen bases. Nice to finally using our speed again.
Mathguy64
AG
Tucker apparently thinks he's fighting Straw for the last spot so he's showing he can hit and run.
Mathguy64
AG
Now Josh needs to answer Tucker's call.

ETA: Josh isn't up to it. Add fuel to the TA Fire.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

...and yet he still has a better average in the majors than Tucker

You were saying?
titanmaster_race
Altuve pulls everything.
Ag_07
AG
They really called blocking the plate on Chorizo.

That throw was right there to the plate. Does he not have a right to catch the ball?

I get the rule to prevent collisions but that's such a crock of shlt application of that rule.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Tuck!
Mathguy64
AG
Tucker seems intent on showing everyone here we should listen to AggiEE.
Ag_07
AG
Looks so much better this time around.
Mathguy64
AG
Statcast really did record the pitch last inning that Greinke threw as a 57 mph Eephus.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Ag_07 said:

Looks so much better this time around.
That's not saying much. But in all honesty, he looks like a completely different player.
First Page Last Page
Page 1039 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.