***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,258 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Correa is already taking batting practice, then I'd imagine by this time next week he will be back in the lineup. Probably for the Texas series next week. That would give him 11 games before the playoffs to get things straight.
Ag_07
AG
I think you're right, but it looks like he may head to Round Rock for a rehab start or two.

Quote:

If the Astros' AAA team in Round Rock advances in the Pacific Coast League playoffs, Correa said he could play rehab games with the Express. If not, more live batting practice will be in order with the Astros, he said.

They advanced to the finals and play in Sacramento Tues/Wed then Round Rock on Friday, Sat, Sun.

Guessing he makes those starts in RR and is back with the team for the TEX series.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've just lost any hope for McHugh and Peacock. They've attempted to come back and right the ship multiple times this year and just haven't been able to do it.

Their season long struggles plus sitting out this long gives me no hope either one of them can come back and be effective in the playoffs.
I honestly don't think we need them.
titanmaster_race
The only thing Devo specializes in is giving up runs.
Andyzipp
AG
A few things after September 9...

The Astros magic number is 10. Any combination of Astros wins and A's losses clinches a 3rd consecutive AL West Division Championship.

The Astros (94-50) have a 9.5 game lead in the AL West. They have been in first place for 139 days this so far.

The Astros finished August with a 19-9 record. It is the second best month this season, so far, behind May's 20-8. So far in September, Houston is 6-1.

The Astros are on a pace to win 106 games. If they win 100 or more, it will be the first time in 14 years a team has won 100 or more 3 consecutive years, and only the 5th time in MLB history.

The remaining schedule features 9 home games and 9 road games. The Astros are winning at a 0.764 clip at home, and 0.542 on the road.

The Astros will have 4 more games against teams .500 or better, as things stand now. All of those are at home this week.

The Astros will have 14 more games against teams below .500, as things stand now. Arlington is 2 games under .500.

The Astros have 14 games scheduled against teams that have already been eliminated from their division title races and 12 games against teams who have been eliminated from the playoffs altogether.

Depending on health and how the Astros treat the 3 remaining off days, Verlander, Cole, Greinke and Miley all have 4 starts remaining in the regular season. The Astros will only have the 5th slot in the rotation come up 2 more times this season.

Cole is within 19 strikeouts of 300 this season. He will need to average 4.75 Ks per start. Verlander is 36 away from the same milestone, and will need to average 9 Ks.

AJ Hinch (468-324) is within 76 wins of becoming the all time winningest manager in franchise history. First place is currently held by Bill Virdon (544-522)

The Astros are at 4588-4661 as a franchise. If Hinch can continue to win at his current pace as a manager (.591), the Astros will break the .500 mark during the 2021 season. Only 13 of the 30 franchises are currently .500 or better.
Andyzipp
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've just lost any hope for McHugh and Peacock. They've attempted to come back and right the ship multiple times this year and just haven't been able to do it.

Their season long struggles plus sitting out this long gives me no hope either one of them can come back and be effective in the playoffs.
McHugh actually pitched really, really well in August after returning from the IL.

11 G
14.2 IP
0.61 ERA
.160 BAA
.295 OBP
.240 SLG
.535 OPS
1 ER
8 H
0 HRs
17 Ks

WHIP was high 1.227 because of too many walks (10).

Teddy Perkins
AG
bearkatag15 said:

If Correa is already taking batting practice, then I'd imagine by this time next week he will be back in the lineup. Probably for the Texas series next week. That would give him 11 games before the playoffs to get things straight.

Quote:

Astros shortstop Carlos Correa took three turns in the batting cage Sunday morning, fielded ground balls and went through agility drills to move one step closer toward a return to the lineup before the end of the regular season.

Correa, who has been sidelined since a recurrence of back problems Aug. 19, said he will go through the same routine Monday, followed by a rest day Tuesday.

If the Astros' AAA team in Round Rock advances in the Pacific Coast League playoffs, Correa said he could play rehab games with the Express. If not, more live batting practice will be in order with the Astros, he said.
From the Chronicle.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Marvin said:

Have there been any recent updates on Pressley, Peacock and Correa?
Found this on Rotowire.

Quote:

September 8, 2019
Pressly (knee) was scheduled to complete a bullpen session Sunday, David Barron of the Houston Chronicle reports.

ANALYSIS
Assuming Pressly's right knee responded well to the activity, he'll be in line for at least one or two more bullpen sessions before he advances to facing hitters. Manager AJ Hinch said Sunday that Pressly would likely come off the 10-day injured list "sooner rather than later," suggesting that the right-handed reliever remains on pace to pitch for the big club before the regular season ends.

And this from 9/6.

titanmaster_race
How many more K's does JV need for 3000?
CFTXAG10
AG
Sitting at 2,970 currently

Mathguy64
AG
titanmaster_race said:

jetch17
AG
mathguy86 said:

titanmaster_race said:

username checks out
Mathguy64
AG
The CY is really an interesting question.

Who has been the most dominant pitcher: JV or Cole?

There's an argument for Cole over JV. JV will win it, but it wont be unanimous. If anyone lists someone else 1 or 2 they are a homer. Or drunk. Or a drunk homer.
Ag_07
AG
I've mentioned it before but I'll all for a JV for MVP and Cole for Cy Young
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

I've mentioned it before but I'll all for a JV for MVP and Cole for Cy Young

I think the chances of the Astros resigning Cole are already slim, but if he gets the Cy Young I think the extra bump in price will ensure he definetely won't return
Prosperdick
AG
Speaking of extra bumps in price, doesn't Verlander get a nice bonus for winning the Cy Young (or even top 3, which we all know is a lock). I can't remember how much it was but I seem to recall it as an incentive to his contract...although who knows, Cole might have it as well.
Ag_07
AG
The Cole situation will work itself out this offseason.

I'm just enjoying their last few starts of this season and the playoff run.

Watching JV and Cole exchange pitching gems and raking up ridiculous K numbers is really fun.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

Watching JV and Cole exchange pitching gems and raking up ridiculous K numbers is really fun.

This is exactly where I am at. Worrying about resigning players is Lunhow's job and isn't something I want to distract me from enjoying this once-in-a-insertyourtimeperiodhere opportunity to witness a historically great lineup and pitching rotation.
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

Oh yes. We are very spoiled.
Marvin
AG
Really looking forward to Greinke throwing some good innings soon.
Mr President Elect
AG
So I finally got around to checking out the speed stats. Myles is 4th fastest in all of mlb at 30.2 ft/s; with the fastest being 30.8 ft/s. Jake is our second fastest, at 29.2. Toro is third at 28.7, slightly ahead of Altuve. I'm not sure how upset I would be if Jake didn't make the playoff roster. I get that he is a gem defensive replacement, but our pitching staff is pretty much a high SO / HR staff. Especially in the late innings where it would be JV, Cole, Harris, Pressly, or Osuna pitching; with the slight chance of Grienke, but unlikely.
Bregxit
AG
Random CY thought I had while eating lunch...will Cole get more votes over JV because of JV's *****ing about juiced balls earlier this year? Or will the voters blow it off?
Mr President Elect
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-postseason-roster-predictions

Brian predicts us going with 5 bench players with Toro being the odd man out. I can definitely see this.
Ags #1
AG
just dont see a situation where devo makes the post season roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Oyster DuPree
AG
dlance said:

Random CY thought I had while eating lunch...will Cole get more votes over JV because of JV's *****ing about juiced balls earlier this year? Or will the voters blow it off?

Baseball writers are among the stupidest people on earth. I would guess that Verlander is more likely to lose votes based on the ballot being confusing or mailed to the wrong address than based on his complaining earlier this year.
AggiEE
MuckRaker96 said:

Like Ag07 said , if you have read anything about this team, you know Reddick is a huge clubhouse leader. If you've played sports at any level from high school on up, you cannot understate the importance of that role. He could be hitting .125 and still make the playoff roster, thinking otherwise just shows you don't know much about team sports.

I'm not suggesting that Reddick won't make the roster, I'm suggesting that Tucker start in RF.
mazag08
AG
If we win the WS, here's what I would do..

1. Re-sign Cole, luxury tax be damned.
2. Sign "Miley type" to 1 or 2 year deal.
3. Trade Reddick for best you can get.
4. Trade Correa for huge prospect haul.
5. Lock up George.
6. Re-sign Maldonado & Chirinos (or similar type player) for 1 year contracts.
7. Trade Greinke for huge haul, mainly to free up money.
8. Sign best bullpen arm you can afford after all other steps are done.

9. Profit.

Then you have this going into 2020..

Verlander
Cole
"Miley type"
McCullers
Whitley / Urquedy / James / etc.

1B: Yuli - multiple years left
2B: Altuve - long term
3B: Toro - multiple years left
SS: Bregman - long term
LF: Brantley
CF: Springer - long term
RF: Tucker - multiple years left
C: Chirinos or similar - replaceable
DH: Alvarez - multiple years left

Bench: Maldonado, Straw, Diaz, Marisnick
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Like Ag07 said , if you have read anything about this team, you know Reddick is a huge clubhouse leader. If you've played sports at any level from high school on up, you cannot understate the importance of that role. He could be hitting .125 and still make the playoff roster, thinking otherwise just shows you don't know much about team sports.

I'm not suggesting that Reddick won't make the roster, I'm suggesting that Tucker start in RF.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk for Ted or not. Hopefully, he does well In this small sample size, but a hot Sept doesn't mean a ton to me.

Reddick is a nice player. He's never been a star. He doesn't play an elite RF (like Jake in CF). He's almost up to 1000 PA over the last 2 seasons where he's been avg to below avg.

We should absolutely be looking to upgrade at RF. We think Ted is a future starter and potential all star. It might be too soon, but it might not.

As for Reddick being a leader, just how many leaders do we have? Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Verlander, anyone else? I think that's a silly reason to play him over a potential upgrade.

Ive said it before and probably will again, we should have had Ted up sooner to prove he's ready to contribute for Oct.
AustinCountyAg
mazag08 said:

5. Lock up George.

9. Profit.

Verlander
Cole
"Miley type"
McCullers

I am going to let another poster with more time on their hands explain why a lot of this makes absolutely zero cents
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

5. Lock up George.

9. Profit.

Verlander
Cole
"Miley type"
McCullers

I don't hate this. I'd tweak a few things and I don't think La Pina has multiple years left. But, overall, A+.
mazag08
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

mazag08 said:

5. Lock up George.

9. Profit.

Verlander
Cole
"Miley type"
McCullers

I am going to let another poster with more time on their hands explain why a lot of this makes absolutely zero cents
That's a good call, because other than taking a potential luxury hit (which i admit in my post), it all makes perfect sense. I would rather have expensive Cole and Springer over affordable Greinke and any future with Mr. glass.
Farmer1906
AG
Keep Correa while he's affordable. Diaz, Straw, Toro, Jake on the bench.

The biggest move is to somehow sign Cole and flip Greinke. If we can pull this off then watch out.
Mathguy64
AG
Flipping Greinke would be a coup. Arizona is on the hook for half the salary, so you only have to get someone to bite on the other half. Or even 80% of it. I would flip Greinke in a heartbeat if it meant I could keep Cole.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk for Ted or not. Hopefully, he does well In this small sample size, but a hot Sept doesn't mean a ton to me.

Reddick is a nice player. He's never been a star. He doesn't play an elite RF (like Jake in CF). He's almost up to 1000 PA over the last 2 seasons where he's been avg to below avg.

We should absolutely be looking to upgrade at RF. We think Ted is a future starter and potential all star. It might be too soon, but it might not.

As for Reddick being a leader, just how many leaders do we have? Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Verlander, anyone else? I think that's a silly reason to play him over a potential upgrade.

Ive said it before and probably will again, we should have had Ted up sooner to prove he's ready to contribute for Oct.
Yep. Tony Kemp was also a great clubhouse guy, but I'd rather have Yordan at DH.

The RF job should absolutely be open to competition. Reddick has done nothing to deserve automatic starter status. He's played better lately and if he keeps up what he's done the past couple weeks, he will have "re-earned" the job. But if he doesn't and Tucker plays well, Tucker should get the October starts. Play your best players.
First Page Last Page
Page 1009 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.