***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,764 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only issue I have is if Tucker has one really good month, I don't think that validates Tucker starting over Reddick. He has not faced postseason level pitching this year.

I feel more comfortable with Reddick taking ABs in the postseason and putting up at professional ABs than I am Tucker...and I'm a big proponent of Tucker.

If it's between two guys who end up having the same results at the plate (as far as getting out), I'll take the guy that has the better chance of working a pitcher, and I think that's Reddick at the moment.
Prosperdick
AG
Not really a surprise but after last night we lead the majors in run differential. Now we just need to avoid a hangover tonight....actually from here on out but you get my drift.
Mr President Elect
AG
Reddick is starting to look like he is back in a groove. We still have a decent number of games left in the season to see if it was just a good couple of games or if he is at least somewhat back. Reddick when he is "on"; is an above average hitter. Would hate to see Tucker get figured out in game one of a series and not have a backup option.
Deluxe
AG
willjohnathan said:

Reddick is starting to look like he is back in a groove. We still have a decent number of games left in the season to see if it was just a good couple of games or if he is at least somewhat back. Reddick when he is "on"; is an above average hitter. Would hate to see Tucker get figured out in game one of a series and not have a backup option.

Reddick has a history of being figured out early in a playoff series and not performing
Deluxe
AG
I'm confused where this idea that Reddick is a professional postseason hitter is coming from.

He has a .577 life OPS in the playoffs. In 91 playoff ABs with us, he has 3 (3!!!) extra base hits. He did have four singles in 10 ABs against Cleveland last year though, so I guess he deserves credit for that.

I'm still on board with giving him the nod if he plays well to close out the year. Similar to the way he's played the last couple weeks. He controls his own destiny. But if we start getting whiffs of July/August Reddick again, in no universe should he be guaranteed a starting spot.
iamtheglove
Ag_07 said:

CoachRTM said:

Do we have an emergency third catcher?

Stubbs

But I think that's a waste of a spot.

If both Chorizo and Machete go down just throw in the flag. It's just not meant to be. At that point Jake can catch.

Toro was actually a catcher in junior college, so if he made the cut he could certainly be the emergency catcher. Agree that Stubbs on the playoff roster in any circumstance would be a waste
Phrasing
AG
Random question - I was looking at stats on ESPN and saw we have 5 out of the top 10 in AL OPS. Question though, why are there no Yankees in the top 50? They have to have guys with OPS' on this list, right?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/league/al/sort/OPS/qualified/true
Ag_07
AG
Probably because with all the injuries they've had none of their guys have enough ABs to qualify.
shano0603
AG
Phrasing said:

Random question - I was looking at stats on ESPN and saw we have 5 out of the top 10 in AL OPS. Question though, why are there no Yankees in the top 50? They have to have guys with OPS' on this list, right?

ESPNs stats mess up from time to time. A couple weeks ago they didn't show any Astros hitters.
Andyzipp
AG
Phrasing said:

Hit non-qualified and Gio Urshela is at 28 and DJ LeMahieu is at 36. They've had a lot of injuries to their position players, but this looks like ESPN is jacked up.
Phrasing
AG
Makes sense. So same reason Alvarez isn't on there and he is above 1000?

Baseball reference has slightly different lists, so yeah, I think ESPN stats are a little off base as well.

Thanks!
Ag_07
AG
Fangraphs has LeMahieu at 10, Luke Voit at 16 and Torres at 18.

Bigger question is how does BOS have 4 in the top 10?

JD at 5
Bogaerts at 6
Devers at 8
Betts at 9

Is their pitching THAT bad?
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Fangraphs has LeMahieu at 10, Luke Voit at 16 and Torres at 18.

Bigger question is how does BOS have 4 in the top 10?

JD at 5
Bogaerts at 6
Devers at 8
Betts at 9

Is their pitching THAT bad?
Yep.
bearkatag15
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
How Astros 4 man rotation likely maps out rest of season:
9/9: Greinke
9/10: Miley
9/11: TBA
9/12: JV
9/13: Cole
9/14: Greinke
9/15: Miley
9/17: JV
9/18: Cole
9/20: Greinke
9/21: Miley
9/22: JV
9/24: Cole
9/25: Greinke
9/26: Miley
9/27: JV
9/28: TBA
9/29: Cole
Ag13
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

How Astros 4 man rotation likely maps out rest of season:
9/9: Greinke
9/10: Miley
9/11: TBA
9/12: JV
9/13: Cole
9/14: Greinke
9/15: Miley
9/17: JV
9/18: Cole
9/20: Greinke
9/21: Miley
9/22: JV
9/24: Cole
9/25: Greinke
9/26: Miley
9/27: JV
9/28: TBA
9/29: Cole
Hope it works out this way to set JV up to start last home game of the year. Outside chance he hits 3k strikeouts at home with this schedule.
BigPuma
AG
mathguy86 said:

titanmaster_race said:

How many more K's does JV need for 3000?
if he gets under 30 combined the next two starts he could potentially break it at home on the 22nd against the Angels.
. . .
Chandler Rome said:

The Astros are targeting this weekend in Kansas City for Brad Peacock to throw off the mound for the first time.

Meanwhile, Collin McHugh is still not throwing. "That's a little bit of bad news," A.J. Hinch said. "We would have hoped he was a little further along."

A.J. Hinch said it is possible that Carlos Correa will "factor into" Triple-A Round Rock's playoff series that begins on Friday. Correa is "building endurance" and continuing his baseball activities.

Yuli Gurriel said he ran at 85 percent today. A.J. Hinch hit him some ground balls during pregame warmups. Hinch said Gurriel will repeat that pregame routine tomorrow and the team will "see how he fits" into this series against the A's

Lance McCullers Jr. is throwing off a mound today for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery. He'll only get about halfway up the slope and will likely throw only fastballs.
Ag_07
AG
I'm amped to get Lance back next year!
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I'm confused where this idea that Reddick is a professional postseason hitter is coming from.

He has a .577 life OPS in the playoffs. In 91 playoff ABs with us, he has 3 (3!!!) extra base hits. He did have four singles in 10 ABs against Cleveland last year though, so I guess he deserves credit for that.

I'm still on board with giving him the nod if he plays well to close out the year. Similar to the way he's played the last couple weeks. He controls his own destiny. But if we start getting whiffs of July/August Reddick again, in no universe should he be guaranteed a starting spot.
I never said professional postseason hitter. I also never said he would be successful. I am talking about the experience to at least make a pitcher work for their out.

Who do you think gives you the better AB overall at working a pitcher, Tucker or Reddick?

Jake, at this point, has a better argument to start over Reddick rather than Tucker if we start to see the whiffs of July/August.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am also confused at how Tucker has a couple of decent games against one of the worst teams in league who we scored 21 against and where he doesn't look lost and he's all the sudden the player we were promised.

I'll take a veteran on the playoff roster, unless Ted continues to hit. Reddick finished the the year with a better stat line
shano0603
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I am also confused at how Tucker has a couple of decent games against one of the worst teams in league who we scored 21 against and where he doesn't look lost and he's all the sudden the player we were promised.

I'll take a veteran on the playoff roster, unless Ted continues to hit. Reddick finished the the year with a better stat line

He would have to start raking to make the playoff roster.
Mathguy64
AG
Time to whack Mike Freaking Fiers. Let's do this.
newsjunkie
Let's go Astros!!!!
Be to her virtures very kind; be to her faults a little blind. Lord Byron
mwm
I miss Yuli.
W
AG
chance to strike in the 1st
Mathguy64
AG
Can Fiers work any slower?
mwm
Wowzers.
bearkatag15
AG
Oh boy... Bregman with the bat flip
W
AG
outta the park!
bearkatag15
AG
#23 for Yordan!!
mwm
Yor-goner!!!
W
AG
35 HR & 103 RBI (for Bregman)
suburban cowboy
AG
Testing out the October offense
newsjunkie
Ohhhhhhhh! I love the Astros so much!!!
Be to her virtures very kind; be to her faults a little blind. Lord Byron
First Page Last Page
Page 1010 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.