*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

474,186 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
EagleAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd take a five year deal in a heartbeat
AgFan1999
AG
I'd offer a 5 year deal (25, 25, 25, 20, 18)
agproducer
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Snip it from that video:

Verlander is 1 of 6 pitchers since 2008 to hit 100mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 44 times! The other 5 guys did it no more than 4 times each during that stretch.

Verlander is the only pitcher since 2008 to hit 101mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 16 times!
That 102 mph pitch he threw was filthy! And, it was like the 116 pitch of the game.

The guy who created with video admitted after the fact that he was incorrect about some of the info in the video upon further review and updated in the comments.

He said this:

One small mistake that I noticed is that the word "implied" on the Statcast vs PITCHf/x chart should be "inferred." Also I botched the pitcher wins rule, as Verlander still could have won the game had the Tigers scored in the top of the 9th. Oh well, at least I didn't mess up an important stat

Found one more error. Carlos Martinez, Jeff Samardzija , and Edwin Jackson have each gone over 100 MPH in the 8th inning or later once apiece. None of them went above 101 MPH. Baseball Savant's queries were being weird when I was doing the research, but now I have the full results.

agproducer
AG
Deluxe said:

JV will be 36 next week. He says he wants to pitch until he's 45. If he wants a 5 year deal after this year (presumably in the $25 million per year ballpark), do you give it to him?
He's a workhorse like Nolan. At the end of the 5 year deal, he'd be 42 or 43. I'd be great with offering Verlander the 5 years with years 4 and 5 being club options.
Ag_07
AG
He would also be great to have around as the team retools its staff with some of the younger guys like Whitley.
irish pete ag06
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Snip it from that video:

Verlander is 1 of 6 pitchers since 2008 to hit 100mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 44 times! The other 5 guys did it no more than 4 times each during that stretch.

Verlander is the only pitcher since 2008 to hit 101mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 16 times!

Hell never have the same stats but he really is the modern day Nolan Ryan
CoachRTM
AG
Deluxe said:

JV will be 36 next week. He says he wants to pitch until he's 45. If he wants a 5 year deal after this year (presumably in the $25 million per year ballpark), do you give it to him?

I mean, I always figured that Verlander would go into the HOF as a Tiger. If he pitches here 9 more years, wins another WS (or two) and wins another Cy Young.... at what point does he go in an Astro?
Harry Dunne
CoachRTM said:

Deluxe said:

I mean, I always figured that Verlander would go into the HOF as a Tiger. If he pitches here 9 more years, wins another WS (or two) and wins another Cy Young.... at what point does he go in an Astro?

Deluxe
AG
Updated Harper prediction:

-Harper/Astros players make overtures at 2018 all star game. Harper loves Astros player comradery as they cheer on Bregman in HR derby. Like KD/Warriors at the 2016 NBA all star game, Harper decides that's where he wants to play and privately expresses that to a couple Astros players.

-With that knowledge in hand and knowing they will have a very good chance to retain him in free agency, Luhnow eagerly works to make deal for Harper at deadline. As Luhnow confirms today, it almost happened.

-Harper knows he doesn't want to stay in DC, turns down lucrative contract from Nats.

-Harper/Boras enter free agency already knowing the end game, that he will ultimately sign with Houston. Whispers about Harper's affection for the Astros make some early publications. Pedro Gomez tweets about cryptic encounter with Boras at Intercontinental Airport.

-As a negotiation leverage ploy for the players union in 2021 (CBA renegotiation), Harper agrees to draw out his free agency. He gets lucrative offers from Phillies, Dodgers and a few others but none approach the "blow me away" terms that he needs to forgo the chance to play for Houston. All the while, players union supporters are able to stump/tweet about how unfair the system is.

-Meanwhile, Luhnow has been carefully crafting his offseason knowing that Harper will sign with the Astros right before position players report to camp (on Monday). We wondered why he wasn't able to pull off the deal for Goldschmidt, why he didn't sign Cruz, why he settled on a cheap-ish catcher option, why we didn't acquire an established #3 starter, etc. It was all part of the plan to bookmark salary for Harper.

-Astros have roughly $22 million in cap space at the moment. Josh Reddick (who was quietly mentioned in trade rumors at the winter meetings) makes $13 million. Astros sign Harper to a 3 year, $105 million deal and package some prospects for a team to take Reddick's contract off our hands. Perfecto from a cap standpoint.

-Like we've discussed before on this thread, Harper gets to mash between Altuve and Bregman for 3 years, win his rings and spend his prime years enjoying life on a fun team to play for (like KD/Golden State). Then he can sign his new contract in 2022 under the new CBA. Meanwhile Harper is off the Astros books when it's time to give Bregman his long term deal.

-I don't think anything I just wrote is true but it would be cool if it was.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I choose to believe this
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

-Harper/Astros players make overtures at 2018 all star game. Harper loves Astros player comradery as they cheer on Bregman in HR derby. Like KD/Warriors at the 2016 NBA all star game, Harper decides that's where he wants to play and privately expresses that to a couple Astros players.

-With that knowledge in hand and knowing they will have a very good chance to retain him in free agency, Luhnow eagerly works to make deal for Harper at deadline. As Luhnow confirms today, it almost happened.

-Harper knows he doesn't want to stay in DC, turns down lucrative contract from Nats.

-Harper/Boras enter free agency already knowing the end game, that he will ultimately sign with Houston. Whispers about Harper's affection for the Astros make some early publications. Pedro Gomez tweets about cryptic encounter with Boras at Intercontinental Airport.

-As a negotiation leverage ploy for the players union in 2021 (CBA renegotiation), Harper agrees to draw out his free agency. He gets lucrative offers from Phillies, Dodgers and a few others but none approach the "blow me away" terms that he needs to forgo the chance to play for Houston. All the while, players union supporters are able to stump/tweet about how unfair the system is.

-Meanwhile, Luhnow has been carefully crafting his offseason knowing that Harper will sign with the Astros right before position players report to camp (on Monday). We wondered why he wasn't able to pull off the deal for Goldschmidt, why he didn't sign Cruz, why he settled on a cheap-ish catcher option, why we didn't acquire an established #3 starter, etc. It was all part of the plan to bookmark salary for Harper.

-Astros have roughly $22 million in cap space at the moment. Josh Reddick (who was quietly mentioned in trade rumors at the winter meetings) makes $13 million. Astros sign Harper to a 3 year, $105 million deal and package some prospects for a team to take Reddick's contract off our hands. Perfecto from a cap standpoint.

-Like we've discussed before on this thread, Harper gets to mash between Altuve and Bregman for 3 years, win his rings and spend his prime years enjoying life on a fun team to play for (like KD/Golden State). Then he can sign his new contract in 2022 under the new CBA. Meanwhile Harper is off the Astros books when it's time to give Bregman his long term deal.

TonySoprano
I'd give JV almost anything he wants to stay. Dude is showing no signs of slowing down. I'd also like to resign Cole
TonySoprano
Genius.
Prosperdick
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Snip it from that video:

And you didn't mention Gerrit Cole was one of the other 5 pitchers...he did it twice so we have two pitchers who represent 46 of the 57 times it's occurred since 2008.
irish pete ag06
AG
Deluxe said:

#AstrosEroticaFanFic
n_touch
Bobby Jimbo
AG
While we are on the subject of Astros Erotica Fan-Fiction, what about signing Bryce Harper as a catcher?
dshedd41
S
Do your magic TexAgs!
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr.Bond
AG
PUT SOME RESPEK ON OUR NAME
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG

We got lumped with Boston....... How coincidental that NYY and Boston aren't in same group.

Go vote guys
!!
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

bearkatag15
AG
dshedd41 said:

Do your magic TexAgs!

I don't care about those teams...

Mr.Bond
AG

MAGA

Ags #1
AG
When will we find out what time the home opener is?
Andyzipp
AG
Ags #1 said:

When will we find out what time the home opener is?

7:10 CST on April 5th. It's on the schedule on Astros.com.
Ags #1
AG
Thanks. Swear I checked a few weeks ago and it wasn't there
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Clicked on the wrong thread this morning to see the rangers fans eating their own over the turf sitch in their new (carbon copy of Minute Maid) stadium.

I stayed there longer than intended.
shano0603
AG
Ags #1 said:

Thanks. Swear I checked a few weeks ago and it wasn't there

Didn't think to check again before you opened yourself up to all of us degenerates? Now you'll get poked fun at all season.
Waffle11
AG
Deluxe said:

Not without some depreciation and incentives thrown in that probably make him balk, sadly.

I'd do 25/22/20/18/18 guaranteed, with incentives for certain benchmarks (Quality Starts, K/9 ratio, innings pitched, or starts made, etc.) in case he begins to break.I don't think 5/$103M guaranteed gets it done, but I'd love to be wrong.
Deluxe
AG
I'd be down with that
Ags #1
AG
This thread usually has more information that what I can find on google so I always check the thread first.
Thriller
AG
Richard Justice stirring up Astros fan suggesting we sign DK and Harper. Pipe dream, but it's fun to think about.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Thriller said:

Richard Justice stirring up Astros fan suggesting we sign DK and Harper. Pipe dream, but it's fun to think about.
https://www.mlb.com/news/five-teams-that-can-still-win-mlb-offseason/c-303921170
Thriller
AG
Thanks for the link. I forget that not everyone gets all the updates instantly.
Bulldog73
AG

Just a guess by the DC radio show host, but dang it!
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.