*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

473,722 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Thriller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
spot on. It's not Billy Beane all by his lonesome against Boras anymore. There were still some holdouts (the Orioles until recently) but those days are numbered. Analytics have disrupted the business side as much as they have the game on the field.
Ag_07
AG
Something to watch in ST

shano0603
AG
Every time I see multiple new posts on this thread I think we signed Harper.

I'm really looking forward to our rotation this year. There will be plenty of opportunity for our young guys James and Forrest to have a shot. And we will also get to see what guys like McHugh and Peacock can do. Can't tell me Peacock isn't trying to learn a new pitch to get some starts.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
I believe this is newly updated

Fangraphs 2019 Top Prospects

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-top-100-prospects/

4 Forrest Whitley
10 Kyle Tucker
50 Corbin Martin
88 JB Bukauskas
98 Joshua James
100 Cionel Perez
125 Yordan Alvarez
07ag
AG
cole won his arbitration
Bulldog73
AG
Astros 0-2 in major arbitration cases this year?
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

4 Forrest Whitley
10 Kyle Tucker
50 Corbin Martin
88 JB Bukauskas
98 Joshua James
100 Cionel Perez
125 Yordan Alvarez

Martin is flying up the prospect list. I look forward to watching him progress this year.
Buck Compton
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

4 Forrest Whitley
10 Kyle Tucker
50 Corbin Martin
88 JB Bukauskas
98 Joshua James
100 Cionel Perez
125 Yordan Alvarez

Martin is flying up the prospect list. I look forward to watching him progress this year.

I think he has a real chance at some time with the big team this year. An injury or two or even during September call-ups.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I think he has a real chance at some time with the big team this year. An injury or two or even during September call-ups.

Charlie Conway
dshedd41 said:

he is catching a lot of **** on twitter for this for some bizarre reason, as if it's wrong to want to beat the team that eliminated you....?
Marvin
AG
Charlie Conway said:

dshedd41 said:

he is catching a lot of **** on twitter for this for some bizarre reason, as if it's wrong to want to beat the team that eliminated you....?

Is it because he said "city" instead of "team" or just because he said anything at all?
iBrad
AG
If he says Arlington or Oakland, no one cares. Mention Boston or New York and it's news.
Charlie Conway
just that he said it, that it's bulletin board material
Silent For Too Long
Marvin said:

Charlie Conway said:

dshedd41 said:

Is it because he said "city" instead of "team" or just because he said anything at all?

I think he very intentionally said city. If you read the full quote, he had nothing but good things to say about the team. It was the obnoxious chowda heads on Twitter that he wants to shut up.
MAROON
AG
Phillies re-sign Aaron Nola for four years - $45 mil. that's a good deal for the Phillies.

Attention Keuchel and Boras...this is the future.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
txag614
MAROON said:

Phillies re-sign Aaron Nola for four years - $45 mil. that's a good deal for the Phillies.

Tremendous deal for the Phillies.
Bobcat-Ag
MAROON said:

What a terrible deal for Nola! How is one expected to live on only $11m per year. That's barely above the poverty line for MLB players.
bearkatag15
AG

Looking forward to these
irish pete ag06
AG
This bought out his remaining 3 arb years and added 1 year right?

This isn't a terrible deal for Nola either. He's got 45 million guaranteed now and the ability to be a free agent at 29 I believe.
Pahdz
depends, is he taking the place of Bagwell or is this in addition to? I hope the latter, because Saturday night games with Bags on the mic were the tits
astros4545
AG
Pahdz said:

depends, is he taking the place of Bagwell or is this in addition to? I hope the latter, because Saturday night games with Bags on the mic were the tits

Tits were definitely squeezed
irish pete ag06
AG
astros4545 said:

Pahdz said:

It was a honking good time.
Texaggie7nine
irish pete ag06 said:

astros4545 said:

Pahdz said:

It was a honking good time.

I'm glad Vine left up old vines. My vine is almost to 4 mil views now.
7nine
Basketball and Chain
AG
MAROON said:

Gave up his first two years of post-arb for $15 and $16 mil (option).
wangus12
AG
979ag
AG

Ouch...
shano0603
AG
979ag said:

Ouch...

Still wish that would have gotten that done. I don't recall us giving up a ton.
979ag
AG
would have helped a ton once Tuve could hardly walk in the Boston series.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm glad it didn't knowing how poor our help was down the stretch. It was very unlikely he'd be enough to get us past Boston last year. Now we get to keep JB or at least use him as a piece to trade this deadline.
Deluxe
AG
979ag said:

Ouch...
Luhnow also said today that he "isn't obsessed with looking at ways to improve the roster from the outside right now"... which clearly means "we spent yesterday with Boras via the Cole hearing and have agreed to terms with Harper in principle, but I can't comment on it yet" if you read between the lines.
agproducer
AG
If you have time to kill at work, check out this video. It talks about how awesome Verlander in regards to spin rate.

It shows his "impossible" inning, breaking it down pitch by pitch. He is in a Tigers uniform for the inning, but the video shows why he can be so effective. The guy is a machine on the mound, and he was doing this before the aid of advanced analytics.

Mr.Ackar07
Snip it from that video:

Verlander is 1 of 6 pitchers since 2008 to hit 100mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 44 times! The other 5 guys did it no more than 4 times each during that stretch.

Verlander is the only pitcher since 2008 to hit 101mph or more in the 8th inning of a game they started; he's done it 16 times!
Deluxe
AG
JV will be 36 next week. He says he wants to pitch until he's 45. If he wants a 5 year deal after this year (presumably in the $25 million per year ballpark), do you give it to him?
Mr.Bond
AG
No
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.