*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

472,933 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Breggy Popup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He turned down 10/300 with the Nats. Did he think he was going to do better?
Deluxe
AG
dlance said:

A fact conveniently omitted by the players union apologists on Twitter...
Wabs
AG
dlance said:

Yep, turns down $300M, yet the players seem to think this all "unfair". What a joke. The market pays what the market pays, just like any job.

They're pissed that the owners/GMs have finally stopped signing these stupid long term, guaranteed contracts.
Deluxe
AG
Wabs said:

dlance said:

Yep, turns down $300M, yet the players seem to think this all "unfair". What a joke. The market pays what the market pays, just like any job.

They're pissed that the owners/GMs have finally stopped signing these stupid long term, guaranteed contracts.
Yep. Then you hear the "owners are pocketing all the increased revenues!" complaints... which to me is easily defeated because owners would line up out the door to pay Harper $30-35mm per year over 5-7 years. They just won't do it for 10. And rightly not.
Wabs
AG
Deluxe said:

Wabs said:

dlance said:

Yep. Then you hear the "owners are pocketing all the increased revenues!" complaints... which to me is easily defeated because owners would line up out the door to pay Harper $30-35mm per year over 5-7 years. They just won't do it for 10. And rightly not.
Plus, the last time I checked - the OWNers own the team. So they can do whatever the **** they want. If the player(s) don;t like it, then find another team, accept less money, or find another profession.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I don't understand why he doesn't just accept the nationals 10/300 unless they have pulled that offer because they know the market softened.
Agnzona
The players union has a problem; the vast majority of players are grossly overpaid and teams now have ways to attach dollar amounts to production. So now only 3-4 teams will grossly overpay for long term deals. Everyone else can demonstrate that its wiser to go young or journeyman.
I'm expecting a huge strike as players will demand even more money when the data shows 70% or more are not worth it.
n_touch
Agnzona said:

I'm expecting a huge strike as players will demand even more money when the data shows 70% or more are not worth it.
Hopefully they know that a strike would be detrimental to the game. It took steroids to bring them back after the last one.
bearkatag15
AG

Man I hope Miley is better than this projection. But if all others are that good then we could still be in good shape
BarryProfit
I understand both sides, the way the system is set up players are underpaid when they are young but historically make up for it with fat contracts in the second half of their careers. Obv GMs figured out they aren't getting good value in these long term deals and stopped offering them, but everything else stayed the same. Owners can draft players and through a variety of options delay them getting paid for a pretty long time, which understandably frustrates the players especially if they now see they aren't going to get those fat deals on the back end.

I'm not a fan of unions but the owners probably need to give a little by figuring out a way to get the young kids earning more, sooner, if they want to avoid a work stoppage
iBrad
AG
Establish a more player-friendly salary structure for pre-arb players and move arbitration up a year. That's about all I'd be willing to do as an owner.
Frok
AG
Baseball should just get rid of Scott Boras
zgood10
AG
Pitchers and catchers report today
Thriller
AG
I've never understood the hate for him. He's absolutely nails at his job. What's wrong with that?

I guarantee you wouldn't think that way if you were a player, part of a player's family, or a fellow agent.
Frok
AG
I bet you like lawyers too
Deluxe
AG
Thriller said:

I've never understood the hate for him. He's absolutely nails at his job. What's wrong with that?

I guarantee you wouldn't think that way if you were a player, part of a player's family, or a fellow agent.
I think he was nails at his job back in the day.

He could put together impressive pitch books for each of his clients, hype them up, demand contracts based on what a comparable player got in a prior year and then find an owner to dupe with an unsophisticated front office powerless to stop it. But the free agent game has changed. Too many long term deals went sour. Teams are being run by smart businessmen with smart analysts driving decision making. Not saying the lux tax, tanking, long period of young player control, etc don't have anything to do with it... but it just further illustrates how the free agent game has changed. His old tactics don't work anymore and he's butthurt.

Honestly, if I was Marwin or Keuchel's family, I'd be pretty upset at Boras for telling them they are worth X on the open market when they are actually worth much less than X. Each could have a nice 3-4 year deal that would set them and their families up for life but instead they are unsigned going into spring training because they're trying to help their agent prove a point.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
TonySoprano
I feel like Harper turned down 10/300 from the nats to go to a contender. He tried and failed with the nats and it's time to move on.
WES2006AG
AG
SlimAG2 said:

I feel like Harper turned down 10/300 from the nats to go to a contender. He tried and failed with the nats and it's time to move on.
Yea, but he is clearly expecting and not receiving a similar contract from a contender.
Thriller
AG
You bring up fair points. At the end of the day, his job is to maximize value for his clients. The game and free agency are certainly changing and players would love for the contracts to be what they were just 2-3 years ago. Given what we knew then, I don't think it's unreasonable for Dallas to turn down the deal he was offered because he had no leverage at the time and the free agency changes weren't yet upon us. There were signs, but there were still deals bigger than his going to top tier pitchers.

Marwin is an interesting one. I really don't think there's a comp out there to him - maybe the closest was Zobrist, but even that is a poor comparison. This may be a case of player and agent misjudging the market for a super-utility player.

Boras is playing catchup to the new market conditions, just like his clients. Knowing his successful past, I'd suggest it is his clients that may be pushing for/holding out for contract offers that aren't coming more than Boras. At the base level, the agent is still just the advisor, trying to maximize value. I don't think one agent is the cause of much of the problems or should be run out of the sport, personally.

It's a really fascinating drama to watch in a game theory/dynamic market with imperfect information type of scenario.

I almost like the drama of the hot stove as much as I like pitchers and catchers reporting. Almost.
Thriller
AG
WES2006AG said:

SlimAG2 said:

Yea, but he is clearly expecting and not receiving a similar contract from a contender.
Both great points. I think the sports media may have played a role in this with talks about Harper and Machado and 400-500MM contracts. He had to think he'd get a similar or better offer from one of the large market contenders, only to find the ground shifting beneath his feet while he was still under contract. The Yankees getting their monster OF really was a killer in his scenario.
Deluxe
AG
Good points. Agreed.
Bobcat-Ag
SlimAG2 said:

You can either take the big contract from any team or take the best offer you get from a contender. The reason that they are a contender is probably because they are good without Harper. If they are already a contender, then what is the benefit of adding Harper to the team? The cost vs benefit analysis would dictate that the amount of expenditure be less from the team that is already a contender vs. the team that needs more players to be in contention.

But what do I know. I don't work in a front office.
Deluxe
AG
This sort of flies in the face of all my "Harper to the Astros!" advocating on this thread, but what do the following players have in common:

Tommy Pham
Eugenio Suarez
Joey Wendel
Starling Marte
Ben Zobrist
Travis Shaw

They all had a higher fWAR than Harper last year. No one really talks about this but it could be that Harper isn't getting his big 10 year megadeal is because teams question if he's truly an elite player.
college of AG
AG
If players strike while my Astros are good, I will lose it..
07ag
AG
Thriller said:

The business side of sports ruins things for the casual fan who just like to watch sports, and isn't a pro athlete and not related to one. Probably at least partially why college sports are really popular, despite often being a lower skill level (but probably also the loyalty of 'hey i went to a&m, go a&m!')

However, regarding the "nails at his job. What's wrong with that?" People also hate Nick Saban and Bill Belichick for the same reason
Thriller
AG
Agreed.

It's easy to hate the best at any profession. I don't particularly hate Saban, Belichick, the Yankees, etc. I like to read as much as I can about them because there's usually some secret inefficiency in their sport/industry that they have found that lets them dominate. By the time others have caught up, they've spent the interim time finding the next inefficiency.

I'm really hoping the Astros are doing something similar, though we have a ways to go to get to that level.
TonySoprano
I kinda hope we offered him the an interesting deal. If he signs with us part of me is feeling that he would be more protected in a lineup with Springer, Bregman, Altuve, and Correa. Those first 5 ABs would be incredible.
Jackal99
AG
Thriller said:

Agreed.

It's easy to hate the best at any profession. I don't particularly hate Saban, Belichick, the Yankees, etc. I like to read as much as I can about them because there's usually some secret inefficiency in their sport/industry that they have found that lets them dominate. By the time others have caught up, they've spent the interim time finding the next inefficiency.

I'm really hoping the Astros are doing something similar, though we have a ways to go to get to that level.
Like I told my wife after the Super Bowl, I would absolutely love it if the Astros were hated as much as the Patriots or the Yankees. Because that would mean they're winning consistently and doing something right.
Ag_07
AG
I don't hate Boras for getting the best deals for his clients.

I hate Boras for crying and whining when they don't get it. He acts like they're entitled to huge deals and when it doesn't happen he's the first to bltch and complain.
Thriller
AG
That's his job though. He's an attorney and an advocate. He'll make use of any tools, press, or exposure he can get to make more money for his client (now or the next one up).

Let's not forget the 5% of those contracts he earns as well. I think that's the number.

I agree he's a whiny dude when things don't go well, but he's incredibly effective.
McGibblets
AG

WES2006AG
AG
I know Altuve is the best player in baseball but I had no idea he was running our front office the way Lebron runs the Lakers.
Thriller
AG
It would be interesting to see how players would put together teams while they are playing.

Would they form along national origin lines? Friendships? Maximum WAR?
irish pete ag06
AG
Thriller said:

You bring up fair points. At the end of the day, his job is to maximize value for his clients. The game and free agency are certainly changing and players would love for the contracts to be what they were just 2-3 years ago. Given what we knew then, I don't think it's unreasonable for Dallas to turn down the deal he was offered because he had no leverage at the time and the free agency changes weren't yet upon us. There were signs, but there were still deals bigger than his going to top tier pitchers.

Marwin is an interesting one. I really don't think there's a comp out there to him - maybe the closest was Zobrist, but even that is a poor comparison. This may be a case of player and agent misjudging the market for a super-utility player.

Boras is playing catchup to the new market conditions, just like his clients. Knowing his successful past, I'd suggest it is his clients that may be pushing for/holding out for contract offers that aren't coming more than Boras. At the base level, the agent is still just the advisor, trying to maximize value. I don't think one agent is the cause of much of the problems or should be run out of the sport, personally.

It's a really fascinating drama to watch in a game theory/dynamic market with imperfect information type of scenario.

I almost like the drama of the hot stove as much as I like pitchers and catchers reporting. Almost.
I think the simple explanation is

In the past, Boras much smarter than most MLB front offices.

In the current, almost all MLB front offices are smarter than Boras.

And yes the market will adjust. Boras will have lots of things to say during the next CBA and will likely be a big catalyst for the changes that have to be coming (more money in the early parts of the MLB careers)
First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.