*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

473,729 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
TXAGcommenter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theSCHW4B said:

GarrettL_15 said:

Being an Astros fan in DFW sucks
FIFY

also big true
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

I believe Jake is out of options. Its either keep him or lose him, because someone is taking him. White may be close to it as well.
I just read that Jake has an option remaining, but he's only 40 days of MLB service time away from 5 years of service, which gives him the right to decline an MiLB option and Kemp is out of options.

Does that mean that if Kemp doesn't make the team out of spring training, he goes through waivers? I just don't think there is any chance that we are going to let a player as valuable as Kemp who is making $575k and is under team control through 2022 walk.

That makes me think he gets Marinick's roster spot...but there is a lot of time between now and then. Injuries happen.
iBrad
AG
I've said it before, but Tucker reminds me of Christian Yelich. Very similar in build and athleticism. I think Yelich has better swing mechanics, but he also never displayed the power that Tucker has shown at this point in his career. Like Yelich, I think Tucker's power numbers increase over time, which is saying something, because he's shown plus power everywhere, including MLB spring training.
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ag_07 said:

If Tucker isn't on the Opening Day roster then it really is time to trade him. He needs regular reps in the bigs or to be flipped for ML talent.

He's useless smashing AAA pitching.
No matter how good Tucker does during spring training, he will not be on the opening day roster.

We'll see but that to me sounds crazy.

Give the kid a fresh start when there's less pressure (as opposed to a September call up) get him the ABs and see what he's got.

Is there really anything more for him to show at AAA?
astros4545
AG
Agree

If Tucker is one of your best this spring training, he will start with the team
oldschool87
AG
Ag_07 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ag_07 said:

If Tucker isn't on the Opening Day roster then it really is time to trade him. He needs regular reps in the bigs or to be flipped for ML talent.

No matter how good Tucker does during spring training, he will not be on the opening day roster.

We'll see but that to me sounds crazy.

Give the kid a fresh start when there's less pressure (as opposed to a September call up) get him the ABs and see what he's got.

Is there really anything more for him to show at AAA?
JD Martinez...

Can we please wait just a little while, before all the texags professional scouts write him off.

PLEASE!
Ag_07
AG
First off I'm not writing him off. I want to see him start the year in LF. We know what hell do in AAA. Can he make the adjustments needed to hit big league pitching? AAA won't answer that question.

Secondly Tucker and JD Martinez are completely different situations. JD had ample opportunity to prove himself at the big league level and was cut. Tucker hasn't had that chance and he won't be cut.
TXAGcommenter
AG
Agreed. No reason to rush Tucker. He's still young. If he needs to develop a little more then so be it.
bullard21k
AG
It's going to be interesting to see what hinch does with kemp, jake, white and reddick as I think reddick might really slow down this year.

I love jake but if it's between him and kemp...for me personally that's a pretty easy decision to keep kemp. Tyler white does nothing for me but I understand he has power potential and yuli is slowing down as well.

I just think our lineup is at its best when you can plug Tony in at the 8 or 9 spot to roll over to springer. While he's not your standard DH slugging power hitter, we are an unconviental lineup anyways with a quasi power hitter hitting lead off...I think kemp hitting DH ocassionally is a good thing.

Again just my 2 cents but I think white and Jake are the odd men out. I just want to see what kemp can do with consistent daily playing time.
Marvin
AG
bullard21k said:

I think reddick might really slow down this year.

Didn't this already happen in '18? If there's another step-change decline this year, ugh...
Deluxe
AG
Yep.

Reddick 2H18: .222/.301/.389
Marisnick 2H18: .263/.368/.509
TREX01
I think its premature to say Yuli is slowing down. He came off the hamate injury and that has proven to be an injury that you don't just bounce back from quickly. I think we see a much closer to 2017 version of Yuli this year. Also, Reddick is absolutely on the downside of his career and could be the expendable piece to make everyone else fit into our OF this year.
Breggy Popup
AG
TREX01 said:

I think its premature to say Yuli is slowing down. He came off the hamate injury and that has proven to be an injury that you don't just bounce back from quickly. I think we see a much closer to 2017 version of Yuli this year. Also, Reddick is absolutely on the downside of his career and could be the expendable piece to make everyone else fit into our OF this year.

2017 and 2018 Yuli are nearly identical.
iBrad
AG
bullard21k said:

It's going to be interesting to see what hinch does with kemp, jake, white and reddick as I think reddick might really slow down this year.

I love jake but if it's between him and kemp...for me personally that's a pretty easy decision to keep kemp. Tyler white does nothing for me but I understand he has power potential and yuli is slowing down as well.

I just think our lineup is at its best when you can plug Tony in at the 8 or 9 spot to roll over to springer. While he's not your standard DH slugging power hitter, we are an unconviental lineup anyways with a quasi power hitter hitting lead off...I think kemp hitting DH ocassionally is a good thing.

Again just my 2 cents but I think white and Jake are the odd men out. I just want to see what kemp can do with consistent daily playing time.

Jake has more versatility. You can use him almost nightly as a late inning defensive replacement. He can also pinch run and make a spot start versus lefties.

Kemp is much more limited because you're never going to insert him for his defense and there's already two lefties penciled into the starting outfield.

Based on the role, I think Jake is the obvious choice.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I 100% don't expect him to be on the opening day roster.
oldschool87
AG
heavens11 said:

I love Marwin as a defender, so versatile. I don't like watching him as a hitter (while I know he's capable), because he takes so much time b/w pitches, steps out all the time, and routinely chases breaking pitches in the dirt.

He's an enigma to me, regarding whether I would want him to stay or let him go.

Ummmmmm the Enigma won you a World Series. And played every position last year but pitcher and catcher...

Marwin is a wheel Dog!!!! He gets you to the post season! Maybe he doesn't play an inning in the post season, but he is invaluable for the other 162 games. Sign him now!!!!
heavens11
AG
oldschool87 said:

heavens11 said:

I love Marwin as a defender, so versatile. I don't like watching him as a hitter (while I know he's capable), because he takes so much time b/w pitches, steps out all the time, and routinely chases breaking pitches in the dirt.

Ummmmmm the Enigma won you a World Series. And played every position last year but pitcher and catcher...

Marwin is a wheel Dog!!!! He gets you to the post season! Maybe he doesn't play an inning in the post season, but he is invaluable for the other 162 games. Sign him now!!!!
My post was from October glad to see you working your way through the thread.
oldschool87
AG
heavens11 said:

oldschool87 said:

heavens11 said:

My post was from October glad to see you working your way through the thread.

Well you know how TexAgs is... if I don't read every post you could get shot here.... I am on a plane with AA's super fast wifi... LOL. I could be posting from the 90's as far as I can tell...

Nothing intentional.
shano0603
AG
If marwin has been a free agent after 2017 he would have gotten a huge contract.
Mathguy64
AG
Jake would have too.
ChAg1799
AG
I can not understand why Kemp isn't playing the infield. He played 2nd and 3rd at Vandy
jkag89
ChAg1799 said:

I can not understand why Kemp isn't playing the infield. He played 2nd and 3rd at Vandy
Who's spot would be take?
shano0603
AG
ChAg1799 said:

We have 3 superstars at 2nd, short and third. In the past Marwin was all of their backups. He gets more looks in the outfield.
ChAg1799
AG
Marwin's spot. I know we traded for a new utility, but when Altuve was out, I thought it was dumb to have Pina move over from 1st, when he never played 2nd before. I am not suggesting he take any of the starters spots...
astros4545
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Never understood why Preston Tucker isn't getting a look at first base

Seriously though, never made sense to me
Basketball and Chain
AG
Cole had his arb hearing today. Decision expected later in the week

Waffle11
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Marwin's spot. I know we traded for a new utility, but when Altuve was out, I thought it was dumb to have Pina move over from 1st, when he never played 2nd before. I am not suggesting he take any of the starters spots...
And Kemp can play the outfield, too. Not WELL yet, but he can play it. The versatility to play 5-6 positions is valuable, especially in the specialized pitching era.

I still am not 100 percent sure I get the Aledmys Diaz add, but whatever. If he hits like he did in 16, sure, but his other years suggest something else.
ChAg1799
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

Cole had his arb hearing today. Decision expected later in the week

As quoted by Teddy KGB... "pay the man his money..."
Deluxe
AG
Quote:

@jonheyman Despite rumored offers/wishes of teams, word is Bryce Harper is not signing or even considering short-term deals.
If he's still waiting for his magic Boras 10 year $400 million deal to come in, I'm starting to wonder if he's going to be unsigned going into the regular season.
Waffle11
AG
I mean, hell, good for him I guess. His life. It bothers me, but I think it will be funny when the only team to offer something like that is the Marlins.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

Quote:

@jonheyman Despite rumored offers/wishes of teams, word is Bryce Harper is not signing or even considering short-term deals.
If he's still waiting for his magic Boras 10 year $400 million deal to come in

If he is taking that hard of a stand then I could very easily see him going unsigned going into the season.

And Boras will bltch and cry about collusion when in reality it's his right to ask for what he wants and it's team's right not to give it to him.
shano0603
AG
Deluxe said:

Quote:

If he's still waiting for his magic Boras 10 year $400 million deal to come in, I'm starting to wonder if he's going to be unsigned going into the regular season.

What if he did what Clemens did at the end of his career and just played the 2nd half of the season? Demand a team pays you 25-30 million for 75 games.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Deluxe said:

Quote:

And Boras will bltch and cry about collusion when in reality it's his right to ask for what he wants and it's team's right not to give it to him.

Yep. There's a number of issues at play leading to Harper and Machado still being on the market and some fair points on either side. But to me, the biggest issue might be Boras's butthurtedness about the market finally rejecting how he values his free agents... which is to base them on terrible contracts for comparable players in prior years. Front offices are too sophisticated to fall for that BS now.
Deluxe
AG
Interesting idea. Wouldn't rule it out at this point.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

What if he did what Clemens did at the end of his career and just played the 2nd half of the season? Demand a team pays you 25-30 million for 75 games.

I don't think he'd do that. If it's the length and security he wants and not just a big pay day it seems to me taking a short term deal would be a better option.

So if he won't do that why do this?

Plus they will try and use the leverage of need for the 2nd half of 2019 into getting a long term deal they want.
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.