*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

449,683 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
?itemid=12383186
PhatMack19
AG
It still doesn't seem real....
E
AG
Too soon
JABQ04
AG
I hate everything.
Deluxe
AG
Trade for Trout and Realmuto. Sign Nelson Cruz and Clayton Kershaw. Retain Marwin. Find a badass knee procedure for Altuve so he's ready to go by spring training. Get rid of the Crawford Boxes.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Any chance that we go after Bryce Harper?
CFTXAG10
AG
In.

Hope Luhnow works his magic and builds us up for another title run.
Bobcat-Ag
Get a legit DH plus a catcher that can catch the ball. Then throw Tucker out there and see what happens with the offense.
Wabs
AG
TXAG14
Quote:

Offseason Thread

McGibblets
AG
/plays The Sound of Silence
k20dub
AG
Here but i don't want to be
agsquirrel97
AG
160 days until we open with a 4 game set in Tampa.

We can get through this together!

Bonfired
Eso si, Que es
agsquirrel97 said:

160 days until we open with a 4 game set in Tampa.

We can get through this together!

we will next year
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Looking forward to next year for both the Astros and the Express!
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
gambochaman
agproducer
AG
I am struggling this morning.

This article makes it worse.

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/houston-astros-heartbreaking-scenes-clubhouse-justin-verlander-powerful-words-season-ends-hurricane-harvey-champs/
FightinTexasAggie08
FIRST PAGE LIFE
Juan Solo
JSKolache
AG
Feeling very triggered right now
zgood10
rak1693
AG
I love that we got the Express back. I've always loved their ballpark and really enjoy their games.
byfLuger41
AG
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
bearkatag15
AG
My dream scenario... sign Patrick Corbin, Nelson Cruz, Jed Lowry and Wilson Ramos. Go after Cody Allen and Andrew Miller and see if we can turn them around. Then win the whole damned thing.
Gap
AG
I loved Tucker's numbers in the minors but after seeing him play in the majors for a month, I don't think he can be penciled into anything at the MLB level.

Kyle Tucker - MLB - 2018

28 games
.141 (9-64)
.203 SLG (by comparison Verlander had a .200 SLG going 1-5 with a single on the season)
0 HR
4 RBI
1 SB

I would like to talk about Myles Straw because I would love to have a legit leadoff man with great speed batting in front of Altuve, Bregman, Correa, etc.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Yea I was more intrigued with straws speed
But don't give up on tucker
Another year of maturity and putting a little more good weight on and he could do some damage
Farmer1906
AG
Let's look at this position by position.

CATCHER
McCann has a club option that I doubt it picked up. (-17,000,000)
Maldonado is a UFA (-3,900,000)
Stassi is under team control. (+ a few hundred K, maybe)

Top Free Agents: Wilson Ramos (31), Yasmani Grandal (30), Matt Wieters (33), Jonathan Lucroy (33), & Devin Mesoraco (31). Ramos & Grandal would be nice hitting upgrades, but catchers don't age well. I would be cautious signing anyone to a long-term deal.

On the Farm: Garrett Stubbs (25) is an okay prospect. He's getting up there in age. His line in triple-A - .310 .382 .455 .836

We have almost 21 million coming off the books here. Stassi is just a guy. Stubbs will be given a shot, but ultimately I think we will need to sign or trade for someone. Maybe re-sign Maldonado to a 1-year deal and let him compete with Stubbs. If that works then we'll have some money to use at other need positions (see SP & DH).

Farmer1906
AG
FIRST BASE
Gurriel is 2 years left on his deal. (-2,000,000)

Top Free Agents: Joe Mauer (36), Steve Pearce (36), Chris Carter (32), Matt Adams.

On the Farm: Yordan Alvarez (21), Seth Beer (22) Yordan is a highly rated guy that should be given a shot to make the team in the spring and can be a nice backup 1st or potential DH spot if things fall his way. His double/triple-A line .293 .369 .534 .904. Beer was our first round pick in 2018. he's been flying up tearing it up in multiple levels of A ball. He should be in double and/or triple-A next year with 2020 as his target to crack big league team.

Yuli took a small step back from 2017, but it still a plus hitter (107 wRC+). I don't expect any changes here and good thing we're not looking to replace him because the free agent class is hot garbage. We save a little bit of money too with Yuli's contract going down 2 million this year and another 2 million next. Yordan and Seth are projected to be the future here and the timing seems to line up nicely. Kudos to Luhnow.
Bulldog73
W
AG
so the Astros basically have a 3-year window...2019-2021...where both Correa and Bregman will still be cheap (so to speak).

ideally then any free agent hitter signing (including Marwin) would be a 2 or 3-year deal, so the player is off the books following the 2021 season.

Marwin made $5.8 MM last year. I wonder if he would go for something like 3 years at $30 MM. Luhnow might consider that if there isn't an available bat that he really likes
FightinTexasAggie08
W said:

so the Astros basically have a 3-year window...2019-2021...where both Correa and Bregman will still be cheap (so to speak).

ideally then any free agent hitter signing (including Marwin) would be a 2 or 3-year deal, so the player is off the books following the 2021 season.

Marwin made $5.8 MM last year. I wonder if he would go for something like 3 years at $30 MM. Luhnow might consider that if there isn't an available bat that he really likes
I think marwin is going to be 12-13 million a year at least.
W
AG
then something on the order of 3 years at $40 MM. Maybe that is do-able. Marwin would be the Astros splash FA signing this offseason
heavens11
AG
I love Marwin as a defender, so versatile. I don't like watching him as a hitter (while I know he's capable), because he takes so much time b/w pitches, steps out all the time, and routinely chases breaking pitches in the dirt.

He's an enigma to me, regarding whether I would want him to stay or let him go.
Last Page
Page 1 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.