*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

454,455 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

then something on the order of 3 years at $40 MM. Maybe that is do-able. Marwin would be the Astros splash FA signing this offseason

Marwin better not be the Astros splash FA signing. They need to pay for a big bat at DH like Goldschmidt or Nelson Cruz. Also need a left handed starting pitcher.
mAgnoliAg
AG
In
mazag08
AG
heavens11 said:

I love Marwin as a defender, so versatile. I don't like watching him as a hitter (while I know he's capable), because he takes so much time b/w pitches, steps out all the time, and routinely chases breaking pitches in the dirt.

He's an enigma to me, regarding whether I would want him to stay or let him go.

As a utility player, there's almost no one better.. and Marwin has been with us since the down years. He's a phenomenal insurance policy to injuries at any infield position.

I'd rather let Kemp fully take over that utility role than replace Marwin with a FA.

But I think we should definitely sign Marwin.
mazag08
AG
Here's my post from the other thread..
It's assuming every FA walks and every option is picked up.

My number 1 question..

What would you be willing to give up in a trade for Mike Trout?
Harry Dunne
The problem with 90% of these guys including Marwin and Dallas is that you are paying for things already accomplished with a higher likelihood of lesser or even far lesser performance in the future.

I love Reddick he was a big part of the title, but he is a great example of that. Same with McCann although mitigated by a shorter contract. I think the worst thing you can do is pay a guy big & long at the tail end of his prime. At the same time I can't fault Dallas and Marwin and Gattis for wanting to go out there and cash in and have lifetime financial security.

But I really want no part of any of our free agents who is not willing to do a short deal nor anyone else's free agents in the same circumstances.
Harry Dunne
But yeah Trout, Realmuto, Machado etc. Guys still hitting their prime with their best (or at least equal) years ahead of them. Bring it on. Like teddy KGB says, payyy thyat man... or trade what it takes to get them here. There's no guarantee we are even contenders if and by the time ted comes around.

And if not that then find more Charlie Mortons and Collin McHughs but on both sides of the ball and bring them and on 2-yr deals.
Socrates05
AG
Thanks for sharing this. Anyone care to take a guess at arbitration numbers for 2019?
Farmer1906
AG
This is too easy. I literally love our infield. Its locked in another 3 years at a minimum

SECOND BASE
Altuve has 6 years left on his deal. (no change)

Top Free Agents: Doesn't matter, Jose is the 2B Goat

On the Farm: Whoever it is they better find a new position

A healthy Jose Altuve is an MVP level player. I don't see that changing in 2019. He's locked in still pretty cheaply until next year.

THIRD BASE
Bregman has one more year of team control and 3 years of arbitration left. (few K up from the 599 he's making now)
Davis has 5 years of control left

Top Free Agents: Josh Donaldson (33), Adrian Beltre (40), Eduardo Escobar (30), Mark Reynolds (35)

On the Farm: Again, whoever it is they better find a new position.

Bregman and his big balls will be here relatively cheap for the next 4 years. I don't expect JD Davis to be a factor on this team. Donaldson is a very intriguing FA, but I'll hit on that when I get to DH.

SHORTSTOP
Correa has 3 years of arbitration. (+4,000,000) - complete guess here

Top Free Agents: Manny Machado (26)

On the Farm: And again, whoever it is they better find a new position. We actually have some A level guys who may turn into something, but they're a long long way off.

Carlos had a very down year and it was compounded by his back injury. To me, he represents the biggest risk out of the Big 3 in the IF. Risk as in injuries (back) and most likely to leave (in 2022). I think the most likely scenario is a bounce back year with generous rest throughout the year. Having a guy like Bregman makes this possible. Machado is the crown jewel of the offseason. I see zero interest coming from our side.
FightinTexasAggie08
Socrates05 said:

Thanks for sharing this. Anyone care to take a guess at arbitration numbers for 2019?
This is boring and takes the fun out of it, but this is what MLB Trade Rumors website guesstimates

Astros (10)
  • Gerrit Cole $13.1MM
  • Roberto Osuna $6.5MM
  • Collin McHugh $5.4MM
  • Carlos Correa $5.1MM
  • Lance McCullers $4.6MM
  • Will Harris $3.6MM
  • Ryan Pressly $3.1MM
  • Brad Peacock $2.9MM
  • Jake Marisnick $2.4MM
  • Chris Devenski $1.4MM
Deluxe
AG
mazag08 said:

My number 1 question..

What would you be willing to give up in a trade for Mike Trout?
Just for fun...

Trout to the Astros is one of my favorite offseason hypotheticals. I'm not sure the Angels would be too keen on trading him inside the division, but I think we might be able to put together the best package. He has two years left on his deal in Anaheim and it's very very difficult to imagine the Angels as a playoff team in either of them. I think the Angels would be wise to shop him and get some younger guys who can grow with Otahni.

My idea that would probably never happen:

Correa and two top 10 prospects for Trout.

Angels would save money over the next couple seasons and grab an all star caliber player closer to Otahni's age. Big market team could afford to retain Correa when he becomes a free agent. Also add a couple high tier prospects.

Astros add best hitter in baseball to lineup during peak window years. Also helps solve a corner outfield spot (Trout plays center which moves Springer to right). Astros could then reshuffle the infield and put Bregman or Marwin (if we retain him) at short. Yuli could maybe move to third and open a spot for White or a free agent at first.

And Astros would also be in a position to re-sign Trout after 2020 because we have ~$30 million/year (or at least, used to have $30 million/year) budgeted for Correa over the long haul anyway. We'd just be giving that money to Trout instead.
W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

then something on the order of 3 years at $40 MM. Maybe that is do-able. Marwin would be the Astros splash FA signing this offseason

Marwin better not be the Astros splash FA signing. They need to pay for a big bat at DH like Goldschmidt or Nelson Cruz. Also need a left handed starting pitcher.
I hear you. But the Astros are going to hit a real payroll crunch in 2020...when it's time to resign Verlander and Cole
W
AG
I agree. 3-year deal max for Marwin.

if he wants 4...that's probably a dealbreaker
Gap
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

Arizona has a $14.5M option on Goldschmidt in 2019 or they can pay him $2M if they let him walk. I can't imagine they would let him walk. Now, they could trade him for big time prospects and then you pay him too. I would think he is a guy available at the trade deadline in 2019 if Arizona is out of it.
TMACsDaMan
If Marwin asks for 4 years for 70 million and Keuchel asks for 5 years 80...what's your move?
Farmer1906
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

If Marwin asks for 4 years for 70 million and Keuchel asks for 5 years 80...what's your move?
If that is the price to keep Dallas then I do it without a 2nd thought.

That kind of deal goes to guys like Danny Duffy, Ian Kennedy, Wei-Yin Chen, & Mike Leake.
Bulldog73
AG
I see no way Marwin is a 17 million/year player. I get his versatility is great, but that'd be a bit of a bind as he's 35 and we're at Correa/Bregman time. His game may have a hard time aging.

Keuchel on the other hand is tough. His game isn't power, and if he knows his role, he can do it great for us. Of course, he was highly inconsistent this year, and he's been a little bit of a squeaky wheel. My understanding is that Verlander has one year left, and I don't see any way we'll pay him what he would demand.
Ag_07
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Bye Felicias
Bulldog73
AG
Any other smoke that LMJ is really injured and potentially out for the year? I saw the one tweet, but nothing else yet.
Farmer1906
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I see no way Marwin is a 17 million/year player. I get his versatility is great, but that'd be a bit of a bind as he's 35 and we're at Correa/Bregman time. His game may have a hard time aging.

Keuchel on the other hand is tough. His game isn't power, and if he knows his role, he can do it great for us. Of course, he was highly inconsistent this year, and he's been a little bit of a squeaky wheel. My understanding is that Verlander has one year left, and I don't see any way we'll pay him what he would demand.
Why not? He's not going to demand as much as he made previously because he'll be 37 in year 1 of his new contract.

Crane has shown he is willing to pay his guys. Jeff will have a plan and I could very well see us keeping JV.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think it's so much what he'll demand as much as it is what someone else will pay.
FightinTexasAggie08
TMACsDaMan said:

i would do keuchel for 5 years @80; wouldn't do Marwin for 4 @ 70
Thriller
AG
I don't think I'd give any pitcher 5 years. Higher AAV, sure, but not a longer contract. I think that's the way we see pitcher contracts go in the near term, except for the really blue-chip pitchers.
E
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Any other smoke that LMJ is really injured and potentially out for the year? I saw the one tweet, but nothing else yet.

When McTaggart was on The Matt Thomas show earlier today, he hinted at an elbow problem, and Matt said something to the tune of "well, if you're a big baseball fan and a pitcher has an elbow problem pop up, you know what that means"
TMACsDaMan
Is LMJ headed for TJ Surgery
Mr.Bond
AG
TXAG14 said:

Quote:

Offseason Thread

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marvin
AG
Free agents that Farmer has listed so far really don't get me pumped up. Machado won't happen. Maybe Donaldson as a DH. We really need some insurance/upgrading at the plate and especially on the bench. We were basically trotting out six hitters with six to seven room temp bodies as other options.

Wonder if there might not be an offseason trade or two?
Ag_07
AG
Yep.

The free agent pitching pool wasn't all that and Luhnow went and got Cole.

I still like Jose Abreu if the price is right. You wanna go big or go home ARI is open to moving Goldschmidt allowing Yuli to move to DH. Realmuto can be had at a position of need.

Lot out there than just FAs.
astros4545
AG
Did Marlins man ever come to an astros post season game?

May have been what cost us
BCSGrubber
AG

That didn't take long
rosco511
AG
Wow, just shows the kind of competitor and teammate that Altuve is. He never complained or made excuses and continued to go all out, even bunting and scoring from 1st with a knee for which he got immediate surgery.
byfLuger41
AG
Take some notes, Carlos.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
bearkatag15
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
So surgery, what was the overal diagnosis
I'm assuming a tear of some kind?
BCSGrubber
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Acl? Mcl? Pcl???
Last Page
Page 2 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.