*****Official Texas Rangers Offseason Thread*****

83,607 Views | 1008 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also due to the prospects dealt during the Hamels and Lucroy deals, I don't think we have the farm system right at the moment to match what other teams would be offering for some of these players.
_lefraud_
AG
The Marlins have made it clear they don't plan on being competitive for at least the next three seasons, so while Yelich's deal is team friendly, I don't see how holding on to him makes much sense for the Marlins moving forward. The Ranger's farm doesn't look great, but I am sure there are some 17/18 year old prospects we could deal, along with other lotto tickets for Yelich. Hell, give them Delino as well, as he seems like the perfect guy for them right now. A major league player for a fraction of what they will pay Yelich.
bigcat22
AG
Angels just signed Kinsler. That's going to be weird to see.
TXAggie2011
AG
bigcat22 said:

Folks are saying the trade will likely happen but apparently its not official yet.

For his part, Ken Rosenthal is saying there may be a hiccup with Kinsler's no-trade clause but that he still expects the deal to happen.

Buster Olney just said "no deal yet."

Total crapshoot, I think, what kind of production the Angels would get from him.
DallasAg 94
bigcat22 said:

They are one of the most bizarre organizations.

Rotation:
Ramirez (29-RHP): 24 GS, 147.1 IP, 4.15 ERA, 1.34 WHIP
Bridwell (26-RHP): 20 GS, 121.0 IP, 3.64 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
Skaggs (26-LHP): 16 GS, 85.0 IP, 4.55 ERA, 1.39 WHIP
Richards (29-RHP): 6GS, 27.2 IP, 2.28 ERA, 0.90 WHIP
Ohtani: 5GS, 25.1 IP, 3.20 ERA, 1.263 WHIP (In Japan)

Ramirez is a TexAgs loathed converted RP to SP. 2017 was his 1st SP season.
Bridwell - Career 4.74 ERA in minors, 124.0 Career MLB IP.
Skaggs - 5th season with 113.0 IP his peak ('14)
Richards is an injury casualty in both '16 and '17. Another converted RP.
Ohtani has never pitched in MLB and has a UCL issue.

They have zero pitching. A bloated payroll and everything they do seems to blow up in their face. It is as if they wake from a slumber of inactivity, and make a bunch of stupid moves, then go back to sleep.

Did the Chargers and Rams moving to town... and the Raiders expected arrival in Vegas start to erode some season ticket holders? From a team (Anaheim) which has reduced capacity to drive up ticket prices and positioned as an "elite" event to attend. "Rich people only."
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

They have zero pitching. A bloated payroll and everything they do seems to blow up in their face. It is as if they wake from a slumber of inactivity, and make a bunch of stupid moves, then go back to sleep.
If they have zero pitching, they have very negative second baseman.

Their second baseman hit .161 with a .513 OPS the first half of the season...so they went to 2nd base by committee with a mix of washed up veterans and a washed up prospect.

Kinsler will make $11 million in 2018, then he's a free agent.

I don't know what they're giving up but their biggest need this off-season was at 2B and Kinsler won't make all that much money.

Lots to question about that organization but this doesn't seem like one of those bloated payroll, stupid move kind of things...
Velvet Jones
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bigcat22 said:

From a team (Anaheim) which has reduced capacity to drive up ticket prices and positioned as an "elite" event to attend. "Rich people only."

None of that is true, which is par for the course with you. You're literally the least informed person on this board.
Congrats.

Mr Gigem
AG
MiniShrike said:

DallasAg 94 said:

bigcat22 said:

From a team (Anaheim) which has reduced capacity to drive up ticket prices and positioned as an "elite" event to attend. "Rich people only."

None of that is true, which is par for the course with you. You're literally the least informed person on this board.
Congrats.

Quote:

?itemid=4452103
mhayden
MiniShrike has come out of the woodwork now that his team might be relevant again. He tried to take a shot at me on premium saying that I was certain Ohtani was going to sign with Texas because they were bringing Darvish back (which naturally I never said anything of the sort).

Seems like he's just been patiently waiting for a very long time, so bear with him, he's likely got a lot of pent up aggression.
TXAggie2011
AG

FIFY
TXAggie2011
AG
Seems like maybe the trade is official now.
DallasAg 94
MiniShrike said:

DallasAg 94 said:

bigcat22 said:

Congrats.

Hmmm... well, lets see what we can find...

http://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/04/moura-angels-see-fewer-fans-but-revenue-rises-with-higher-ticket-prices/

Quote:

"We may not be reaching as many of the people on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder, but those people, they may enjoy the game, but they pay less, and we're not seeing the conversion on the per-caps,"

Quote:

Put another way, the Angels are eschewing the cheap seats in favor of luxury sections. They are thinking less about fans who pay for $10 tickets than fans who make advance dinner reservations for the Diamond Club Restaurant.

Relax bro... now that you have rejoined the board, I'm no longer the least informed. So, I say to you...

"Welcome back!"

TXAggie2011
AG
Maybe I missed it but where does that article say they reduced capacity?

What I did see was that "cheap seats haven't been eliminated."

But either way, a pro sports team "eschewing the cheap seats" and focusing on the more expensive seats?!

I'm shocked, I tell you. Just shocked.

The Texas Rangers are getting ready to reduce capacity by what? 15%?

I still don't get what's this has to do with trading for Ian Kinsler.
TXAggie2011
AG
BTW, that article is from 2015 and the Angels did, in fact, maintain their 3 million attendance streak that season.

Their atendance has gone up slightly each of the last two seasons.
_lefraud_
AG
Rangers trade for OF Carlos Tocci who was taken by the White Sox in the Rule V draft. He's 22 and apparently a good defensive centerfielder. Not sure what this means (if anything) as for what happens with Choo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Looks like he spent most of last year in AA and was solid in AVG and OBP (.307 and .362), although essentially no power (100 singles in 132 hits) and only a few SB's (4 SB's, 5 CS's). Struggled some after promoted to AAA, but was only there for 15-20 games.

6'2" 160lb beanpole. So the power and SB #'s are not surprising. Maybe a little more pop will develop as the body matures.
KT 90
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Rangers trade for OF Carlos Tocci who was taken by the White Sox in the Rule V draft. He's 22 and apparently a good defensive centerfielder. Not sure what this means (if anything) as for what happens with Choo.

I'm guessing this may impact DeShields more than Choo?
KT 90
AG
And I'd assume makes it less likely that we go after a CF via free agency. So even more doubtful on L. Cain (that's been mentioned this thread previously as a wishful thinking type thing), probably Gomez too.

DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

BTW, that article is from 2015 and the Angels did, in fact, maintain their 3 million attendance streak that season.

Their atendance has gone up slightly each of the last two seasons.
Come on... you are smarter than that, no?!

Attendance:
2017: 37,279
2016: 37,236
2015: 37,195 <- The year the article was written
2014: 38,221
2010: 40,134
2009: 40,005
2008: 41,194
2007: 41,551
2006: 42,059
2005: 42,033
2004: 41,675
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

The point of the post was not to discuss the annual attendance of the Angels.

The point of the post was the Angels have a history of bizarre transactions.

Like signing Pujols.
Like Hamilton
Like catering the rich people to create an "elite" atmosphere.
Like needing SP and signing a SP that has UCL issues.
Like spending $11M on a 2B, when they really need pitching.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Come on... you are smarter than that, no?!

I didn't say their attendance that year wasn't down from before. I said they hit the 3 million mark (one of the premises of the article was their streak was in jeopardy) and it has gone up ever so slightly since.

Anyways, you didn't address the capacity but let's not further make this an Angels attendance thread.
TXAggie2011
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

The point of the post was not to discuss the annual attendance of the Angels.

The point of the post was the Angels have a history of bizarre transactions.

Like signing Pujols.
Like Hamilton
Like catering the rich people to create an "elite" atmosphere.
Like spending $11M on a 2B, when they really need pitching.

Geeze dude. As explained to you before, they badly badly badly need a 2nd baseman.

Their OPS from that position was .604 or something last season. It was the worst in the league by like 40 points. It makes Rougned Odor look halfway productive.
TXAggie2011
AG
And stop acting like every team and every one didn't want to sign Shohei Ohtani.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Certainly Rua (27).

Looks like Hoying signed a minor league deal with the Halos. Another bizzare move?! LOL.

From his MLB Scouting report, he was 23rd in the Phillies Top 30.

Quote:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

When Tocci first signed with the Phillies back in 2011, the farm system was a little thin, so despite lacking physical strength, he was pushed to full-season ball aggressively in '13. He spent parts of three seasons there as a result, finally making it out of Lakewood for good in 2016. He capped a solid season there by hitting .323 in the Venezuelan Winter League and finishing fifth in on-base percentage, then followed that up with a solid showing in his move up to Double-A in 2017.

Tocci has long shown a strong hit tool, making consistent contact to all fields and rarely striking out. His willingness to draw walks in Venezuela is a good sign as well. What Tocci continues to lack, however, is strength. He has no power to speak of, and he has the tendency to wear down over the course of the season because he hasn't been able to add the strength necessary to hold up. He is an excellent defender in center field and if he were a basestealing threat, the Phillies probably would have had to add him to the 40-man roster last offseason to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft.

Instead, he's still in the organization and performing well in the upper levels for the first time, and at the age of 21 for almost all of the 2017 season.

TXAggie2011
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I think it just means he'll come in and compete in spring training and they'll see what happens. The Rule V status transfers over so there is alway a possibility this guy is gone before we even get to know him.

No strength doesn't bode well for a guy who would need to make it all 162 games with the Rangers.
mhayden
20 minutes... 4 posts... 4 edits...
TXAggie2011
AG
KT 90 said:

_lefraud_ said:

It sounds like this guy's skill set is more DeShields and a lot less 2018 Choo so probably more chance for him to take DeShield's slot.

This guy won't factor into the DH discussion so that buffets Choo, some.

I think if Choo is going to get traded, Choo will get traded regardless.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

You keep trotting this dead horse out there but a week or more ago you were all in on Asian food being served when Ohtani visited. A week ago you would have signed him. Just like every other club on his list.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

And stop acting like every team and every one didn't want to sign Shohei Ohtani.
You tried to make it appear as if Attendance was unaffected. It was affected. I wasn't arguing if they could reach 3M.

A team that for 7 straight years held over 40K, in 4 years peaks at 37K for the next 4 years... has a reduced capacity.

They need one (1) 2B as a part of 9 people in the lineup.
They need five (5) SPs as a part of 5 people in the rotation.

I never claimed who did or didn't want Ohtani. My claim was that they signed an injured SP who likely won't help them in 2018, when SP was the main need.

And even though you claim to not want to make this a Halos thread... you will find additional obscure points to make irrelevant to what I said and claim I said them, with multiple posts, further making this more of a Halos thread.
TXAggie2011
AG
And looks Hanser Alberto and Kevin Jepsen will be coming to spring training on minor league deals.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

A team that for 7 straight years held over 40K, in 4 years peaks at 37K for the next 4 years... has a reduced capacity.

So, "attendance" and "capacity" aren't the same thing. Their capacity has gone up and down, turns out it actually went up in 2015.

And for some reason, if the Rangers, who badly need starting pitchers, signed Ohtani, I don't think you'd be trotting it around as "bizarre."
KT 90
AG
To be fair on the Ohtani debate, none us knew previously that he had a UCL issue. So now him signing elsewhere is a little easier to swallow. But sure, I still would've signed him. Obviously has a lot of potential at the plate and on the mound, but there now more question marks on the mound with the UCL issue.
DallasAg 94
mathguy86 said:

Quote:

You keep trotting this dead horse out there but a week or more ago you were all in on Asian food being served when Ohtani visited. A week ago you would have signed him. Just like every other club on his list.
Please find that quote for me.

I never said I wouldn't have signed him... however, I have a history of the following, for which I got chastised for....

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/2901526/replies/50457235

11/21/2017
Quote:

Ohtani did not pitch much (if at all) in 2017 and had ankle surgery a few weeks ago. I don't expect him to be much of a pitching contributor in 2018. I don't know if he is suited to play OF. If DH is where he wants some time, he would not be suited for the Rangers... and NY may require moving a player or two.

11/13/2017
Quote:

Ohtani? <- I still don't think he'll be a contributor in 2018.

11/04/2017
Quote:

IMO, and I've said this before... I don't see Ohtani helping anyone in 2018.
All on this thread. If you want to go back farther, check the Rangers season thread.

Well over a month of history that Ohtani wouldn't be much of a contributor in 2018. Now, I can still be proven wrong... but his UCL issue is clearly tilting things in my direction, IMO.

You and mini ought to go hang out.
TXAggie2011
AG
KT 90 said:

To be fair on the Ohtani debate, none us knew previously that he had a UCL issue. So now him signing elsewhere is a little easier to swallow. But sure, I still would've signed him. Obviously has a lot of potential at the plate and on the mound, but there now more question marks on the mound with the UCL issue.

MLB teams, including the Rangers, knew, and those MLB teams, including the Rangers, wanted him.

Re: Ohtani, the Angels didn't do anything pretty much any other team would have done.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I never said I wouldn't have signed him...

Then stop saying signing him is "bizarre."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.