************* Rockets 21-22 Season thread *************

78,111 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG@RICE
AG@RICE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I decided to watch/read a bunch of Sharpe content. I would be ok if the Rockets took Sharpe, but only because I assume they will have worked him out in person and had their independent scouts evaluate him.

I personally wouldn't draft him from what I've seen and read on the internet alone. All of his videos are him playing against an empty gym or against high school AAU kids. He looks like a massive athlete in those videos and a knock down shooter, albeit against 0 defense. The AAU numbers are good, but not legendary (FT% is in the upper 60s!). The worrisome part of the AAU videos are that he looks like an absolute giant compared to his competitors. He is only 6'5'', thats not that big in the NBA.

I especially don't like that he hasn't found a way to play any competitive basketball in a year. Seems a bit fishy. Sharpe committed to Kentucky and then noped out early in the process. Sharpe actually turned down an offer to play in the G-league. His family basically put out a statement saying we are just going to work on making him a better basketball player. HOW? He has to play competitive basketball to improve.

You have to admire the mentality of a guy like Jalen Green. He was uninterested in college, so he decided to get better in the G-league. He could have also done nothing for a whole year and been a top 10 pick, but thats not how he works. That mentality is paying off big time and he is actually reaching some of his potential.

When you draft a very raw developmental prospect, you need them to have a strong competitive spirt and the desire to play basketball. I don't get that from Sharpe, so I would elect to pass on him without any further info.
I might have just passed on the next Kobe...but I also might have dodged the next Royce White.
Ryan34
AG
Sharpe graduated high school early and enrolled in December/January. He sat out rather than trying to jump in mid season. Not saying I like the approach, but it's not quite the same as sitting out an entire year. He'll be one of the youngest guys in the draft and may have the highest ceiling in the draft. 6'6" with a 7' wingspan and very good shooting.
HotardRat
AG
I just want Jabari. No one else.
zooguy96
1. Trade Christian Wood if you can unless he grows up. If you do, try to get some young players.
2. Trade Eric Gordon if you can.
3. Get rid of John Wall's contract.
4. Build around Jalen Green. He is the future.
superaggie73
AG
zooguy96 said:

1. Trade Christian Wood if you can unless he grows up. If you do, try to get some young players.

I heard one of the hosts on 790 last week make a wild ass prediction of sign and trade Wood for Ayton and then sign Jalen Brunson and making KPJ the 6th man. Obviously that is just a thought of his and no rumors any where about it, but that does seem like a smart way to start building. If that were to happen, that sets up a perfect pick of Sharpe at number 3 if you like him.
Aggie09Derek
AG
zooguy96 said:

Good luck on 2 and 3. Both would require taking back bad contracts.
Ryan34
AG
Gordon should have trade value, but I think he's more valuable as veteran leadership than what we could realistically get in return.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG@RICE said:

I decided to watch/read a bunch of Sharpe content. I would be ok if the Rockets took Sharpe, but only because I assume they will have worked him out in person and had their independent scouts evaluate him.

I personally wouldn't draft him from what I've seen and read on the internet alone. All of his videos are him playing against an empty gym or against high school AAU kids. He looks like a massive athlete in those videos and a knock down shooter, albeit against 0 defense. The AAU numbers are good, but not legendary (FT% is in the upper 60s!). The worrisome part of the AAU videos are that he looks like an absolute giant compared to his competitors. He is only 6'5'', thats not that big in the NBA.

I especially don't like that he hasn't found a way to play any competitive basketball in a year. Seems a bit fishy. Sharpe committed to Kentucky and then noped out early in the process. Sharpe actually turned down an offer to play in the G-league. His family basically put out a statement saying we are just going to work on making him a better basketball player. HOW? He has to play competitive basketball to improve.

You have to admire the mentality of a guy like Jalen Green. He was uninterested in college, so he decided to get better in the G-league. He could have also done nothing for a whole year and been a top 10 pick, but thats not how he works. That mentality is paying off big time and he is actually reaching some of his potential.

When you draft a very raw developmental prospect, you need them to have a strong competitive spirt and the desire to play basketball. I don't get that from Sharpe, so I would elect to pass on him without any further info.
I might have just passed on the next Kobe...but I also might have dodged the next Royce White.

Rumor is Pop took him off the Spurs draft board because of character questions.

He may have the highest ceiling, but he also may be too much of a headcase to reach it
Guitarsoup
AG
superaggie73 said:

zooguy96 said:

I heard one of the hosts on 790 last week make a wild ass prediction of sign and trade Wood for Ayton and then sign Jalen Brunson and making KPJ the 6th man. Obviously that is just a thought of his and no rumors any where about it, but that does seem like a smart way to start building. If that were to happen, that sets up a perfect pick of Sharpe at number 3 if you like him.

Don't think the rockets have the space to do that without getting rid of Wall. Mavs will certainly give Brunson the MLE or more
AG@RICE
AG
Ryan34 said:

Sharpe graduated high school early and enrolled in December/January. He sat out rather than trying to jump in mid season. Not saying I like the approach, but it's not quite the same as sitting out an entire year. He'll be one of the youngest guys in the draft and may have the highest ceiling in the draft. 6'6" with a 7' wingspan and very good shooting.

I'm still not sure he is a good shooter. 36% from 3 and 69% from free throw in AAU (with small sample size). In the NBA he might be Terrence Williams.

YNWA_AG
AG
zooguy96 said:

There is no point in getting rid of his contract. You have to give up assets to do that or get more years of bad contracts back unless there is a Westbrook trade part 2. Just buy him out and wait out the year.
Guitarsoup
AG
YNWA_AG said:

zooguy96 said:

There is no point in getting rid of his contract. You have to give up assets to do that or get more years of bad contracts back unless there is a Westbrook trade part 2. Just buy him out and wait out the year.
You can cut and stretch him. 15,8/yr for 3y rather than 48 this year. That opens serious cap space
YNWA_AG
AG
Guitarsoup said:

YNWA_AG said:

zooguy96 said:

You can cut and stretch him. 15,8/yr for 3y rather than 48 this year. That opens serious cap space

Why on earth would you stretch him when the 48 can be gone next year completely
Aggie09Derek
AG
Agree

No point in stretching when won't be competitive next year.

Ryan34
AG
AG@RICE said:

Ryan34 said:

I'm still not sure he is a good shooter. 36% from 3 and 69% from free throw in AAU (with small sample size). In the NBA he might be Terrence Williams.

Most scouts consider him to be a good shooter and his form looks very good, so I don't mind conceding it. Biggest question is whether he's a head case as rumored.
CFTXAG10
AG
On the draft. IMO the clear top 3 are Smith, Chet, and Paolo. If I am Stone, just take whoever is left at 3 and call it a W. Like mentioned previously, when the time comes to be competitive again I think we will move on from Silas, so going best player available seems to be the best strategy.

On the other hand, I won't question who Stone takes on draft night (if it is Sharpe or Ivey) because so far he has done pretty damn well evaluating talent and making picks.

Ags #1
AG
That what pop would do
Guitarsoup
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Guitarsoup said:

YNWA_AG said:

zooguy96 said:

Why on earth would you stretch him when the 48 can be gone next year completely
Bird in hand. If you are opening up 30+mm, you acquire enough room to sign a guy like Ayton. If Ayton is interested in joining the Rockets youth movement, you either take Ivey 3rd or trade Wood for a SF and take Jabari or Paolo there.

Or maybe make a trade and keep him on the books.

Ayton and Cameron Johnson for Wood and Gordon. Suns save some money up front, get a solid veteran off the bench and a quality replacement for Ayton that may fit them better. Rockets get two young guns.

C: Ayton (23yo)
PF: Paolo or Jabari (19?)
SF: CamJohn (26)
SG: Green (20)
PG: KPJ (22)

Bench:
G: Tate (26)
G: Christopher (20)
G: Matthews (25)
F: KMJr (21)
F: Tate (25)
F: Garuba (20)
C: Segun (19)
17th pick

Seems like a decent plan of getting solid, young players.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Wouldn't they just not renew Ayton and not have to take back a **** contract?
Ryan34
AG
Ayton and CamJohn for Wood and Gordon would be a fantastic one-sided deal. There's no way Phoenix lets both go for two guys on expiring deals, and one being Eric Gordon.

The Rockets seem focused on competing in the 2023-2024 season, so I don't think they'll stretch Wall's contract.

Mo Bamba would be intriguing IMO.
AG@RICE
AG
The more I watch Banchero, the more I like him. He has the exact same measurements coming out of college as Ben Simmons and has similar athleticism. It wasn't a given that Simmons would be an elite NBA defender coming out of college. He had question marks about his engagement, awareness and effort....same for Paolo. The difference is that Paolo is an elite shooter for his size and he legitimately loves basketball. Banchero could eventually become the "complete" version of Ben Simmons in the NBA.
YNWA_AG
AG
AG@RICE said:

The more I watch Banchero, the more I like him. He has the exact same measurements coming out of college as Ben Simmons and has similar athleticism. It wasn't a given that Simmons would be an elite NBA defender coming out of college. He had question marks about his engagement, awareness and effort....same for Paolo. The difference is that Paolo is an elite shooter for his size and he legitimately loves basketball. Banchero could eventually become the "complete" version of Ben Simmons in the NBA.

Paolo is my favorite player in the top 3 and he fits best with Kpj and jalen with his skill set. His defense is underrated and I think it could work with sengun.

Still have my doubts on sengun in a playoff series but need to see him develop
texasaggie2015
AG
I've talked myself into Paolo.
shano0603
AG
I'm fine with any of the 3 big men. I'll be confused if they go with the best wing guy.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Russillo said he would take Paolo 1 if a GM for a random team. Can do the most of all the top guys.
AG@RICE
AG
Been some Ivey buzz lately for both Houston and OKC.

In my opinion he has the highest ceiling and the lowest floor of the top tier in the draft.

I could see both GMs talking themselves into the gamble.
HotardRat
AG
The only way I'm upset with our pick is if it's Ivey

Please no.
Unemployed
AG
Aggie09Derek
AG
Not part of long term plans and isn't well liked. Surprised couldn't get a little better out of it though.
Aggie09Derek
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
I like it. Now package the 2 late picks and move up
Texaggie7nine
Does that mean we are drafting a center?
7nine
Bulldog73
AG
All the easier to tank without one.
TheMasterplan
Aggie09Derek said:

Not part of long term plans and isn't well liked. Surprised couldn't get a little better out of it though.
You guys are getting Boban dude.
Aggie09Derek
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.