****Official Dallas Mavericks 2016-17 Season thread:**** Staff Warning on OP

33,514 Views | 433 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PooDoo
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump is silently laughing at the mavs right now.
True Anomaly
AG
Hey, fun loss. If they play well and still end up getting a great lotto pick, all the better.

That arena felt 50-50 Mavs-Spurs fans

BTW, Markelle Fultz had 21 pts tonight vs TCU
PatAg
AG
True Anomaly said:

PatAg said:

Honestly think I'm going to have to implement a "don't watch any games" policy this year.

Dude, I have full season tickets. I do intend to use most of them though
Yea, it's for my sanity. I'm still gonna keep track, and I'm sure I'll end up tuning in for quarters here and there. It's just bad basketball
True Anomaly
AG
Would've loved to have been there tonight for Rondo sucking ass and the Mavs dominating the Bulls. Didn't get to see any of it, but sounds like it was a wire-to-wire win. I'm sure it was fun.
fightinags2013
AG
Bogut out for a few weeks... Cousins might go for 30/20 tonight
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha he's on pace for more than that but doubt he plays much in 4th quarter
True Anomaly
AG
That was one of the worst possible basketball games to watch. Period.
Grapesoda2525
Mavs need to learn how to draft and take it seriously
jeffdjohnson
If the Mavs end up drafting Fultz then this year was 100% worth it. They will need ping-pong luck for that though. Jackson would be a great consolation prize. I still bet that Brooklyn and Philadelphia end up taking (tanking) more losses than the Mavs once healthy. I bet the Mavs end up somewhere around the 3rd-5th best odds. The stakes will be high for lottery night this year. It is a great year to draft in the top 5. Even better year to draft in the top 2. Multiple all-stars are there to be had. This isn't an Anthony Bennett type draft.

Hopefully the Mavs can ship off Bogut once he proves himself healthy. The Mavs may be able to get Boston's late first round pick for him. That is worth a flier, Boston doesn't need that pick. Not a great year to watch the games but I think this is necessary. I'm afraid Golden State has assembled an unstoppable juggernaut for the next 4+ years anyways. Good time to draft and retool the roster with some young players and get in on the next wave.
PatAg
AG
grapespda2525 said:

Mavs need to learn how to draft and take it seriously
Josh Howard, Devin Harris, Jae Crowder, Dirk(basically)...not a ton of hits there, haha. I mean, we were drafting pretty low in the 1st, so some of those were good choices, but pretty poor overall.
Grapesoda2525
Dirk and josh Howard are really the only ones worth mentioning.

Crowder sucked while he was here. Boston taught him how to shoot.

Better players then Harris were drafted after him at #5
fightinags2013
AG
Picked up a win over the Pacers tonight. Good to see a little bit of fight in them after getting slammed by Sacramento on Wednesday.

Now we just need them to drop 3 of their next four or something to stay in the bottom five records
True Anomaly
AG
Last night was probably the most even distribution of scoring the team has had all season. Everyone shot > 50%. Pretty fun game. Bad news for those on "team tank"
brotheraggie
Is the head coach of the Mavericks in the hotseat?
Guitarsoup
AG
True Anomaly
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Clickbait
True Anomaly
AG
At least when the Mavs lose the majority of the time, they make it really fun to watch. Drummond got his rebounds tonight, but Mejri gets the crowd going like no one- especially when you block shots the way he does. Entertaining losses are the way to handle things this season
mavsfan4ever
AG
That article is Beyond ridiculous. Obviously there is a chance he could retire if his body feels awful. No *****
True Anomaly
AG
Add Cousins to the list of "Top NBA Talent that Mejri has stuffed". Don't care if he is tall enough to easily do it, it's still a great fun stat.

That game yesterday was a great lead-in to the Cowboys. Surprised to see AJ Hammons have some real minutes, which confirms Carlisle's shift in philosophy of engaging rookies sooner (not like we have a choice with injuries).

Finney-Smith looks like a true steal this season. He's also seemed to eat up any time from Justin Anderson, who only saw the court yesterday during garbage time
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I'm really confused with how little Justin has been playing. I don't understand it bc he was so good at the end of last year and was really good in summer league. I've been pleasantly surprised with finney smith, but I feel like justin's ceiling is higher so I'd like to see him play more.
Grapesoda2525
Mavs don't like young players. Pretty simple.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Agreed, but Dorian Finney Smith is playing a lot and taking some ofJustin Anderson's minutes, and Finney Smith is only 23. They are the same age, so it's really weird that Anderson is getting so few minutes this year after playing so well last year and in summer league.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Agreed, but Dorian Finney Smith is playing a lot and taking some ofJustin Anderson's minutes, and Finney Smith is only 23. They are the same age, so it's really weird that Anderson is getting so few minutes this year after playing so well last year and in summer league.
Anderson has come out flatter this year than expected. And with DFS having solid minutes in the starting rotation and the ability to play long minutes because of age, it's no wonder that Anderson has gotten a little lost in the shuffle.

And this thing about "the Mavs don't like younger players" is old thinking- all accounts seem to be that this philosophy has changed moving forward- although when Dirk comes back and we get near the trade deadline it will be interesting to see what happens
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't necessarily think it's changed. Carlisle literally hasn't had a choice but to play young players at the end of last year and this year. He has never shown he is willing to play young players when we have other capable players.

Obviously, he is going to have no choice for the next few years when we are rebuilding so hopefully he can coach a rebuild as well as he coaches a winning team.
Guitarsoup
AG

Dallas led Portland 62-38 at halftime.
jeffdjohnson
Mavs will play the easiest schedule in the Western Conference from now until the end of the season. The Mavs are only 4 games out of the 8th seed (what's up with Portland?) with mostly scrub teams in front of them. The Mavs have missed Dirk, Bogut, Williams, Barrea and Harris each for parts of the year. Add it all up and it feels like Carslise and co. will make a hard push for the 8th seed, especially if they stay healthy.

Maybe I am being pessimistic but the worst case scenario is definitely in play. The Mavs get healthy, beat up on some of the scrub teams, miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th pick in the draft. That would be the ultimate wasted season. Even if they make the playoffs it wouldn't exactly be riveting television. This Mavs team would get blasted 4-0 to GS and lose every game by 15+ points.

The decisions that Cuban and co. make from now until the trade deadline will say a lot. Williams is on an expiring deal (no trade clause though) but would have value to a contender. Bogut is on an expiring deal and would have value to a team like Boston. Who knows what else is dangling out there. Even though it won't be fun for Dirk, this team needs a reboot.
brotheraggie
jeffdjohnson said:

Mavs will play the easiest schedule in the Western Conference from now until the end of the season. The Mavs are only 4 games out of the 8th seed (what's up with Portland?) with mostly scrub teams in front of them. The Mavs have missed Dirk, Bogut, Williams, Barrea and Harris each for parts of the year. Add it all up and it feels like Carslise and co. will make a hard push for the 8th seed, especially if they stay healthy.

Maybe I am being pessimistic but the worst case scenario is definitely in play. The Mavs get healthy, beat up on some of the scrub teams, miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th pick in the draft. That would be the ultimate wasted season. Even if they make the playoffs it wouldn't exactly be riveting television. This Mavs team would get blasted 4-0 to GS and lose every game by 15+ points.

The decisions that Cuban and co. make from now until the trade deadline will say a lot. Williams is on an expiring deal (no trade clause though) but would have value to a contender. Bogut is on an expiring deal and would have value to a team like Boston. Who knows what else is dangling out there. Even though it won't be fun for Dirk, this team needs a reboot.
Cuban BLOWS
Grapesoda2525
Don't forget "trader" Donnie Nelson.

Guy doesn't know how to draft
True Anomaly
AG
grapespda2525 said:

Don't forget "trader" Donnie Nelson.

Guy doesn't know how to draft

Except for being the guy who wishes to draft players like Giannis but gets overruled by the owner....
Grapesoda2525
What about the other numerous drafts of his GM tenure?
Guitarsoup
AG
grapespda2525 said:

What about the other numerous drafts of his GM tenure?
It was Donnie's idea to draft Dirk. He also drafted Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels.

But overall, the Mavs used their draft picks to complete monster trades year after year, so keeping a first round pick was pretty rare for them.
Grapesoda2525
His dad had to talk him out of drafting "Pod" the Russian guy with the 5th overall pick. They picked him up later and the guy ended up being a bust.
Guitarsoup
AG
grapespda2525 said:

His dad had to talk him out of drafting "Pod" the Russian guy with the 5th overall pick. They picked him up later and the guy ended up being a bust.
They were never going to take Pod over Devin Harris when they had to replace Nash.
TheMasterplan
Should Harrison Barnes be up for most improved player?
True Anomaly
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Should Harrison Barnes be up for most improved player?
Certainly a nice thought- who else would really qualify? One of the few bright spots of the season.

It's going to be a very curious month to see what direction the Mavs actually go. Do they sell off their draft pick in order to get a key player to make a run at the playoffs? Do they combine that pick with a current starter to send away for more picks or a contributing young player? Or just "ride and die" with what they have?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.