****Official Dallas Mavericks 2016-17 Season thread:**** Staff Warning on OP

33,666 Views | 433 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PooDoo
Good Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree completely but that team also needs to be sure they believe they can sign him long term and he is expecting a big pay day even though he hasn't earned it
PatAg
AG
On the topic of our team, I feel like Barnes has been really playing very well...unfortunately he has been excelling at the 4, and at this stage of his career i dont think Dirk can play many minutes at the 5
Scotty Flamingo
Barnes is so much better than Parsons
True Anomaly
AG
Nathan Summers said:

So far things look great, however remember this- Dirk was almost always healthy during Parsons's two years, and Parsons was injured during key moments of each season- so Parsons being a primary ballhandler was slightly different because he played the 3 and not the 4- and it's at the 4 position that Barnes seems to excel now that Dirk is out. When Dirk comes back and Barnes moves back to the 3, that's where you'll be able to really compare them. But hey, I'm loving Barnes too
PatAg
AG
True Anomaly said:

Nathan Summers said:

So far things look great, however remember this- Dirk was almost always healthy during Parsons's two years, and Parsons was injured during key moments of each season- so Parsons being a primary ballhandler was slightly different because he played the 3 and not the 4- and it's at the 4 position that Barnes seems to excel now that Dirk is out. When Dirk comes back and Barnes moves back to the 3, that's where you'll be able to really compare them. But hey, I'm loving Barnes too
IF they move barnes to the 3.
fightinags2013
AG
After getting cub stomped by GS in the first half, the guys fought hard in the 3rd quarter and actually got it down to 13 at one point. Anderson had two really nice putback dunks. And Seth Curry has played well.

Just playing 9 guys tonight, so Brussino, Acy, and Finney Smith are all seeing the floor quite a bit. Nice to see them still playing hard.
True Anomaly
AG
fightinags2013 said:

After getting cub stomped by GS in the first half, the guys fought hard in the 3rd quarter and actually got it down to 13 at one point. Anderson had two really nice putback dunks. And Seth Curry has played well.

Just playing 9 guys tonight, so Brussino, Acy, and Finney Smith are all seeing the floor quite a bit. Nice to see them still playing hard.
I didn't watch to the end, but I was definitely interested when I learned only one starter would be on the floor. It really was a fun game to watch, all things given. It was a great decision by Carlisle to give the bench guys real time against an elite NBA team, and they responded well by not getting blown out by 50. The effort and hustle was noticeable

mavsfan4ever
AG
Quote:

So far things look great, however remember this- Dirk was almost always healthy during Parsons's two years, and Parsons was injured during key moments of each season- so Parsons being a primary ballhandler was slightly different because he played the 3 and not the 4- and it's at the 4 position that Barnes seems to excel now that Dirk is out. When Dirk comes back and Barnes moves back to the 3, that's where you'll be able to really compare them. But hey, I'm loving Barnes too.

I completely agree with this. He will have a harder time scoring against 3s. Plus, his shooting will likely regress to the mean. He's taking a ton of long 2s, which is generally terrible. He's making 60% of his long 2s so far this season but has shot only 42% on long 2s in his career.

But I never thought he'd be as good as he as been, so maybe he can surprise me and keep it up even when he's playing at the 3.
PatAg
AG
Mind if i ask where you found the long 2 percentage? Actually interested.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I follow the nba thread on twoplustwo.com. It's mainly a poker forum but they have a sports forum as well, and the nba thread is really good. As you can imagine with poker players/nerds, lots of posts about analytics, high level stats, etc. Someone posted the long 2 percentages on the thread. I didn't double check it myself but I would expect it to be correct.

I know basketballreference.com has a lot of stats, but I'm not sure if they have the long 2 percentage or not. I'll ask the guy who posted it where he got it from.
True Anomaly
AG
Justin Anderson seems to be either regressing, or at least not advancing. 0 points last night
mavsfan4ever
AG
It's crazy watching a Carlisle team okay this ugly of basketball. The Knicks are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and we had 51 points at the end of the 3rd quarter. I know we are missing Dirk and deron, but this is just painful to watch.
Post removed:
by user
mavsfan4ever
AG
Looks like they are tanking, but it's not on purpose. If they were purposefully tanking, they wouldn't have gotten Bogut, resigned Deron, and may not have even signed Barnes (but he is so young that a tanking team may still want him). Injuries have just made this team a lot worse than they were planning to be.

I don't think Carlisle has been a conservative offensive coach at all. With less than stellar lineups, our offense was spectacular for years, and our defense was terrible. For instance, the Rondo year, we had the best offense in the league (it was still somewhat early but we actually the best offensive numbers in the history of the league at that point) before trading for Rondo (which many people including myself thought was ridiculous at the time the trade was made). Our offense has basically looked like the Spurs for years, with how we constantly moved the ball and got open shots, and it was actually somewhat more impressive than the Spurs considering who Carlisle had to work with. But at the end of last year, Carlise changed to a grind it out, defensive approach, and has stuck with it this year. I think it is personnel driven, and he just doesn't think we have the fire power to be a good offensive team anymore. He's probably right, but it's brutal to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a top draft pick bc the best we could hope for this year was an 8 seed first round exit. But they are in no way trying to tank this year.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
They may not be trying to tank, but I'm glad it's happening. I think it's best for the long-term of the franchise. Hopefully we get a home run selection. I have no faith in this point of this management team building through free agency.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Still watching our guys play this season, though. Through thick and thin.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
I was really hopeful for Jaylen Brown out of the draft, but he has not looked good. I was at TD last weekend when they played the Nuggets, and he was underwhelming. Still has a lot of time to develop but he needs to develop a jump shot.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I'm not a Jaylen fan. This draft is supposed to be really deep, so hopefully we can get a stud. With the way we are playing, I'm starting to expect a top 5 pick.

It's going to get even uglier now that jj is hurt.
True Anomaly
AG
Not really left with a choice with only one functional point guard left on the roster

mavsfan4ever
AG
Good article.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Good article.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

Haha, I came here to post this too. Great read on the whole Parsons situation

Looking forward to seeing how things go down tonight as Parsons returns
True Anomaly
AG
So midway through the 3rd quarter of the game tonight is when I started to look up records of futility for the Mavs. When it was even more obvious they weren't going to win this game, I almost wanted them to set the record for fewest points scored.

Oh, and Chandler Parsons loved to drill some threes and blow kisses ar Cuban after

That pretty much sums up the game
jeffdjohnson
This year is going very well. I checked the most recent box score and someone named J. Gibson put up 16 shots in the last game (scored 26 as well). I also learned that someone named N. Brussino exists and put up a solid 5 points in 5 minutes.

I am concerned that when (if?) Dirk, D. Williams, JJ Barrea and Devin Harris get healthy the Mavs will start winning some games. That is 4 of their top 7 rotation players and a lot of their scoring punch. I could easily see a nightmare scenario unfolding where a starting lineup of Williams, Mathews, Barnes, Dirk and Bogut push this team to 25 wins and the 10th pick in the draft.

That can't happen. The Mavs need to land a top 5 (hopefully top 3) pick in this loaded draft.
TheMasterplan
Parsons out two weeks with knee bruise.

Cuban knows he made the right decision.
PatAg
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

This year is going very well. I checked the most recent box score and someone named J. Gibson put up 16 shots in the last game (scored 26 as well). I also learned that someone named N. Brussino exists and put up a solid 5 points in 5 minutes.

I am concerned that when (if?) Dirk, D. Williams, JJ Barrea and Devin Harris get healthy the Mavs will start winning some games. That is 4 of their top 7 rotation players and a lot of their scoring punch. I could easily see a nightmare scenario unfolding where a starting lineup of Williams, Mathews, Barnes, Dirk and Bogut push this team to 25 wins and the 10th pick in the draft.

That can't happen. The Mavs need to land a top 5 (hopefully top 3) pick in this loaded draft.
They were playing to start the year. Didn't help us win then.
fightinags2013
AG
Thank goodness we managed to lose to the Spurs tonight.

Need to really try and deal some of the veterans (Harris, JJ, etc) to stockpile picks/assets.

But of course the Mavs will probably package Anderson/Powell and our first round pick for Boogie Cousins or Bradley Beal, thus driving all Mavs fans absolutely bonkers.
JoCoAg09
AG
fightinags2013 said:

But of course the Mavs will probably package Anderson/Powell and our first round pick for Boogie Cousins or Bradley Beal, thus driving all Mavs fans absolutely bonkers.
Yes, this would drive me crazy.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'll gladly take cousins if we can sign him long term. He obviously wouldn't help this year but he's a young, top 10 talent. If you have a chance to get him, you take him. But no way we have enough assets to get him.
fightinags2013
AG
Cousins seems like he would mix with Carlisle about as effectively as Rondo did.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea maybe. But he's never had a good coach. The one decent coach he had, Mike Malone, the Kings ran off way too early. And cousins liked Malone. I blame George Karl just as much as cousins for their relationship going bad. I know cousins is a head case but it's a chance I'd take for his talent.

But we have no shot at him, so it doesn't matter anyways.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Do we get extra losses for being down 40 before halftime?
True Anomaly
AG
Hey, at least it isn't the early 90's.....right?
PatAg
AG
Honestly think I'm going to have to implement a "don't watch any games" policy this year.
Kugelfang52
Anyone up for going to last game of the season with me? This season makes it likely that it is Dirk's last.
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

Honestly think I'm going to have to implement a "don't watch any games" policy this year.

Dude, I have full season tickets. I do intend to use most of them though

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.