Spurs Offseason Thread

48,618 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
Sher Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like Manu took more money as well. Don't think Spurs have any more cap room and still have glaring holes on the roster, especially if TD is done. Dedmon appears to have signed with the Room Exception.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
I know Parker is the goto scapegoat for Spurs fans but he holds very little value around the league right now and he isn't going anywhere. As far as finding a backup PG, the Spurs are really strapped for cash right now and they don't have any money to offer a good contract in this market. Unless they trade for another PG (trade who?), it doesn't look likely unless you are talking about bringing an Andre Miller type PG back.

The kid they just drafted is 6'5" and athletic. It remains to be seen if he can contribute this season but that would be the best case scenario.
GatorAg03
AG
Manu can still play PG in spurts as well, too bad he is so TO prone as he has aged as his size would be nice on defense down the stretch and that would allow Green toguard the faster PG if needed.
superunknown
AG
What's with the Pistons taking our brutes? Barnes last year and Boban this year?
Diet Cokehead
AG
****. I really liked Boban.
jr15aggie
AG
None of this news sounds very exciting, but I'm still happy this team is built to win. Doesn't mean we are gonna win it all next year, but they are gonna be very solid for years to come (so just like we've been since the late 90s).

Be interesting to see what we can do in next years offseason assuming Timmy & Manu's salary will be gone. Unless I don't understand how the NBA salary cap works we should have plenty of cash to spend and we should be an attractive spot for quality free agents.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it way optimistic of me to think Manu and Timmy spoke with each other and both agreed to come back?
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
Is it way optimistic of me to think Manu and Timmy spoke with each other and both agreed to come back?
Let's hope so. Really want just one more year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me right now. Compulsively checking every news site and spurstalk every half hour.

DTP02
AG
I don't know. Manu has tended to be more about Manu in his negotiations than Tim has been about Tim.
Guitarsoup
AG
Really need Tim to come back. Just one more Rodeo.
Guitarsoup
AG
Timmy all time standings:

13th in field goals. Needs about 230 to move past any retired players. Had 215 last year.
6th in rebounds. Needs 1100 to move past Moses Malone for 5th. Had 447 last year. Duncan is 2nd all time for rebounds post ABA merger behind Malone.
5th in blocks. Needs 44 to pass Mark Eaton for 4th. Had 78 last year.
14th in points. Scored 500 last year. 500 more this year would move him to 10th, but LeBron is 11th, so Bron would pass that and Duncan would be 11th. 172 to pass Nique. 214 to pass the Big O. 450 to pass Hakeem.

3rd in Playoff Rebounds, not changing. First in playoff rebounds post merger.
28th in Playoff Assists. Eight moves him past Kareem, Oscar and Bill Russell for 25th.
36th in Playoff Steals. Ten moves him to 30th.
1st in Playoff blocks with 568. 90 more than Kareem and Hakeem at 2 & 3. Closest active player is Dwight Howard with 229 blocks.
6th in Playoff points with 5172. Needs 78 to pass Shaq for 5th.
1st in Finals rebounds post merger.
2nd in Finals blocks behind Kareem.
9th in Finals points post merger.

Sher Thing
AG
I do think the Spurs are going to try and move Anderson to the 4 this year. Also seems that way with the added weight he's put on. Makes more sense for him to make that transition compared to being a slow guard.

Parker-Mills-Murray
Green-Manu
Kawhi-Simmons-Bertans
Aldridge-Anderson
Gasol-Dedmon

Man I'm super excited over the Dedmon signing. Spurs desperately needed his type of talent and skill-set. Will thrive here IMO.

Obviously Simmons is going to move into a major role with SA and I sure hope he's ready for it. If Simmons, Dedmon and to a lesser extent Bertans can really turn into players for SA this team could be really fun to watch.

Still a couple moves from calling it an off-season though. Still haven't heard anymore news on LJC.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
None of this news sounds very exciting, but I'm still happy this team is built to win. Doesn't mean we are gonna win it all next year, but they are gonna be very solid for years to come (so just like we've been since the late 90s).

Be interesting to see what we can do in next years offseason assuming Timmy & Manu's salary will be gone. Unless I don't understand how the NBA salary cap works we should have plenty of cash to spend and we should be an attractive spot for quality free agents.
As I understand it, if Tim retires the Spurs will actually spread the remaining salary over the next three years for cap purposes, so he will count about $2 million a year for 3 years.
Sher Thing
AG
Realistically the Spurs could roll with Jarnell Stokes and possibly Bryn Forbes to round out the roster. Stokes is an intriguing option to get some minutes at the 4 behind Aldridge.
Guitarsoup
AG
Realistically, Kawhi is going to get a lot of minutes at 4 this year. Gasol comes out and we will play Kawhi with LMA or vice versa.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Free-zoo-visits-for-Duncan-if-he-returns-8341820.php

Free zoo visits for life if Duncan plays one more year. This should seal the deal.
BBQ4Me
AG
If a player retires, they still eat into the cap??
DTP02
AG
quote:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Free-zoo-visits-for-Duncan-if-he-returns-8341820.php

Free zoo visits for life if Duncan plays one more year. This should seal the deal.
Need a paintball place to offer the same deal and then we might be on to something.
Sher Thing
AG
Some other 4-men still out there:

Meyers Leonard, restricted
Donatas Motiejunas, restricted
Derrick Williams
Terrence Jones
Luis Scola
Marreese Speights
Brandon Bass
Josh Smith
Jordan Hill
Kris Humphries
J.J. Hickson
Udonis Haslem
David Lee
Thomas Robinson
Jason Thompson
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
West Texan
AG
I very much doubt we can afford it, but I'd love to have Marreese Speights.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
I think the procedural plan will be to waive him, so he gets his $6 million golden handshake on the way out the door.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
I think the procedural plan will be to waive him, so he gets his $6 million golden handshake on the way out the door.
There's a stretch provision that allows a team to waive a player and spread their remaining salary over 3 years.

However, if a player retires I'm pretty sure you can remove that amount from the cap and not pay them.
Sher Thing
AG
Dejounte Murray looks awesome in his debut. Obviously young and raw but man the Spurs haven't had a PG like this in their system. He's going to be good....
Sher Thing
AG
Sher Thing
AG
superunknown
AG
quote:
Me right now. Compulsively checking every news site and spurstalk every half hour.

Bruh try out r/NBASpurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Murray kind of reminds me of Penny. Great size and athleticism for a PG.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Murray played with a ton of confidence and looked very atletic considering how thin he is against Boston.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Enzo The Baker
AG
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pau-gasol-chicago-bulls-san-antonio-spurs-2016-nba-free-agency/

Pretty cool write-up by Pau.
GatorAg03
AG
Awesome, thanks for posting. Sounds like he will fit right in!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lot of chatter on twitter about an impending announcement of Timmy's retirement.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From spurstalk:
quote:
-The End. I apologize for burying the lede but it's difficult to actually type it out. From the latest I heard, the plan is for Tim Duncan to retire today. If today is indeed the end, there's only one thing I can say: Thanks. It was a damn fun ride.

-From what I was told, about three weeks ago Duncan started working out on his own to see how his body reacted. Unfortunately, the knee that used to be his good knee didn't improve at all despite the rest. He has played a long time on one leg but losing his good knee has simply made it impossible for Duncan to keep going.

-The Spurs have been telling Duncan to take his time in making his decision in hopes that he changes his mind. The front office didn't expect to lose both Boris Diaw and David West this offseason and they had previously projected that they'd be able to keep Boban. After losing all three, the Spurs prefer for Duncan to return but they obviously will let him make the final call.
If this is accurate regarding Timmy's knee, then as much as it hurts, then it's time to go. He's given everything he could.

GOAT
dreyOO
dammit. agreed.

Thanks Timmy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.