Spurs Offseason Thread

47,626 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Spurs need to find a way to keep Diaw. Worst case scenario is he ends up in GSW.
Diaw has to be moved to fit Gasol.

Diaw still has 7mm on his contract, so if he could go to GSW, it won't be until next year for the vet min.

Glad we had him and he played a valuable role, but he looked his age last year. Time to move on and keep Timmy, JS, Parker, Manu and Patty in the fold.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Pop has supposedly really been frustrated with Diaw lately as well and that's not been a big secret. I think Diaw even talked about it to the French media. He's done in SA.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Anderson and Simmons both looked good in Summer League yesterday. If that means anything.
Enzo The Baker
AG
quote:

David Robinson: Welcome @paugasol to the @spurs family. The best organization in sports. You'll fit right in. #GoSpursGo

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Timmy leaning strongly towards retirement.
As a fan I'd really like to see him do what Kobe did... let it be known this is his last year and get the curtain call he deserves. Top 10 player all time, let's make 2016 your encore season.

And if you are too humble to put the spotlight on yourself, then let Manu announce with you and we can celebrate you both all season!
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
Timmy leaning strongly towards retirement.
As a fan I'd really like to see him do what Kobe did...
Make the season entirely about him to distract the public while deliberately tanking to the worst record in the NBA to get a high draft pick, and then go out with an incredible bang at the end scoring 60 points on 50 shots?

My impression though is Duncan's personality is TOTALLY OPPOSITE of Kobe Bryant. He doesn't seem the attention hog type at all who would want a long drawn out 'farewell retirement' tour, but more likely the kind of guy who would just send out a two word 'I'm done' statement and then never heard from again.

DTP02
AG
quote:
Will be a sad day if the Big Fundamental decides to hang it up....

I don't know. Watching Tim against OKC was sad and painful. While it certainly won't be the same without him, I don't want to see him continue on as a shell of himself, so I think it might be a relief in some respects to see him retire. No one has earned the right to make his own decision on retirement from the NBA more.

He's always said he wanted to play until the wheels fall off. At the end of the year they certainly looked like they'd fallen off. I don't want to see a repeat of that.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't know. Watching Tim against OKC was sad and painful. While it certainly won't be the same without him, I don't want to see him continue on as a shell of himself, so I think it might be a relief in some respects to see him retire. No one has earned the right to make his own decision on retirement from the NBA more.

He's always said he wanted to play until the wheels fall off. At the end of the year they certainly looked like they'd fallen off. I don't want to see a repeat of that.
I've never heard Duncan say he wanted to play until the wheels fell off. In fact, he's always said just the opposite of that.

OKC was a horrible matchup for him and he did look terrible against them, but he was pretty good the rest of the season. He'd be great to have back for one more year in the rotation.

Having said that, he might just want to stay home, hang with his kids, smoke weed and play video games.
Guitarsoup
AG
I want to see Duncan come back a 6th Man, win 6MOY and ride into the sunset after pulling a Mavs and beating the first year of the Super Friends.
DTP02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've never heard Duncan say he wanted to play until the wheels fell off. In fact, he's always said just the opposite of that.

OKC was a horrible matchup for him and he did look terrible against them, but he was pretty good the rest of the season. He'd be great to have back for one more year in the rotation.

Having said that, he might just want to stay home, hang with his kids, smoke weed and play video games.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Fit-Duncan-I-ll-play-until-wheels-fall-off-677299.php

A whole lot of other references on the googletron as well. Wanting to play "until the wheels fall off" has been the most common reply Duncan has given to speculation about his future for years. I'm not sure where you're getting that he's said the opposite of that.

I will be surprised if he comes back. I think he could definitely contribute in a 10-15 minute/game role just with his leadership and bball IQ, but watching him move out there he has to be in a lot of pain, and that's just playing, not doing all of the stuff necessary to prepare.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I just remember long ago he used to say he didn't want to be that guy that hung on too long.
CactusThomas
AG
Smoke weed?
Diet Cokehead
AG
Yes.
2008and1
AG
Dumb reason, but I want Timmy to play one more year so he doesn't get into HOF at same time as Kobe. It sucked having Jordan steal all the limelight from Robinson when he was inducted. I don't want Duncan's induction to be all about Kobe.
Cappo
AG
I was more referring to the simple fact TD21 won't be in the league after all this time of Total Domination by the Big Fundamental
BlackGold
AG
quote:
Dumb reason, but I want Timmy to play one more year so he doesn't get into HOF at same time as Kobe. It sucked having Jordan steal all the limelight from Robinson when he was inducted. I don't want Duncan's induction to be all about Kobe.

Valid point.
DTP02
AG
quote:
I just remember long ago he used to say he didn't want to be that guy that hung on too long.

I don't think that's contradictory. When the wheels fall off it's time to go. The guys that hang on too long are the guys who keep playing after the wheels have fallen off, in that view.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:

TD was very good defensively all year. His rating was simlar to Leonard. Even against OKC he was helpful on the boards. The issue is he can't score against talented big guys like he used to. So what? He's still an anchor back there is he wants to play.
Guitarsoup
AG
Still a ****ing travesty that Duncan never won the DPOY. Easily the best defensive player to never win it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
GatorAg03
AG
Hate to see Diaw go, but at 35 and coming off a bad year and knowing we aren't going to out small ball the Warriors, it is wise to move him to sign Gasol.
mike_ags_fan12
David west signed with the GSW
Guitarsoup
AG
Plus we got the rights to a foreign guy I've never heard of.
GatorAg03
AG
Ha. At least the dude was honest in his quest for a ring. He was a steal at his salary for the Spurs, but as much as he struggled against bigs last year, I'm not sure he helps the Warriors where they need it most (rebounding and post defense).

Still a very good signing by the Warriors.
Guitarsoup
AG
Signing West was a no brainer. But he is still a guy that mainly shoots jumpers from 10-22feet.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
David west signed with the GSW
You know, good for him. He's the only Warrior I will be happy to see win a ring. He took a massive paycut to pursue a ring and he deserves it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vaya con Dios, Diaw.

Good luck and thanks for the championship.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
What would the Spurs have to give up to make that happen? Danny green, someone else and their 1st? Or is that still not enough?

I don't think anyone really thinks Danny green is a valuable asset in a trade with that contract and how he played some of the time
Still think Green's contract is bad, Maggie? He makes 10% of the salary cap as a starter.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/09/30/indiana-pacers-david-west-sees-reality/16506641/

quote:
"I'm not going to be one of those guys that's just out here chasing that. I'm not going to be one those guys out here sacrificing who I am, the things that make me me, to go out and get a material goal. That's just not the way I'm wired," David West declared.
I don't blame him at all, though.
DTP02
AG
I will miss Boris. He was a big part of the "beautiful game" brand of Spurs basketball. I can see how he would be a frustrating guy to have in your program, especially for such a professional organization as the Spurs, which likely led to the reported dissatisfaction Pop had with him this past season. But I've always felt that two of the most valuable pieces in building a roster are guys who can make winning plays without having their number called, and guys who can guard multiple spots defensively. Boris brought a lot of both to the table.

Ulrich
Diaw last year wasn't the player from the title year. I'll miss that Diaw. He put on weight and slowed way down. It looked like he didn't want to be disciplined with his diet and exercise.
Ag Natural
AG
I think Diaw is a rare player that is hard to replace. He was the one effective mismatch against the Warriors last year until he hurt his back. The upside for the Spurs is they get to see for sure if Anderson can truly fill that role.

Speaking of Anderson, him and Simmons are dominating Summer League right now.
Deputy Travis Junior
David West is in unapologetic ring chaser mode now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.