Spurs Offseason Thread

47,627 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
PLUM LOCO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some help. Kawhi cannot guard them all at the sametime.
Guitarsoup
AG
Green is probably the most underrated defender in there NBA. Sure would like to get Gasol and a third wing defender
Ulrich
The spurs are bringing over Livio Jean-Charles (6'9 sf/pf), likely to bring in Davis Bertans (6'10 sf), and working out Adam Hanga (6'7 sf) all from Europe to go with draft pick D Murray (6'5 combo guard). Also got Simmons in his second year.

If they can find a third wing defender in that crew and bring in Pau, San Antonio has a punchers chance against GS. They can't match up with Aldridge/Kawhi/Gasol and SA could very well enter the season deeper though not as talented.

It looks like San Antonio is consciously bucking the small ball trend they helped start (fast followers of the Lebron Heat).

Next year will be GS's first with a fairly major roster change. Plus, all it takes is one injury. Keep your heads down, be as good as you can be, and see where the chips fall. We've outlasted nascent dynasties before.
West Texan
AG
I'm excited for Bertans and I like the potential that Murray has, but Jean-Charles and Hanga don't get me very excited. They're athletic and I think Livio can be a good swing defender, but I'm worried about their ability to score in the NBA.
Ulrich
quote:
I'm excited for Bertans and I like the potential that Murray has, but Jean-Charles and Hanga don't get me very excited. They're athletic and I think Livio can be a good swing defender, but I'm worried about their ability to score in the NBA.

I haven't got a clue what any of those guys can do at the NBA level, I just have to figure that out of 5 g/fs, an organization like the spurs is bound to have at least one player. They don't need another Kawhi, but if it turns out LJC can punish second team forwards and defend first teamers, or one of Hanga or Murray can be a plus defender and good enough offensively that opponents can't hide a bad defender on them, we're in business.

People forget that this is just the Spurs second year together in the Leonard/Aldridge era. We're looking for role players, not superstars.

Heck, if the Spurs can snag Livingston and nothing else I'll be happy with the offseason.
2008and1
AG
Sher Thing
AG
Tim opting in to that final year made this the most likely scenario unfortunately.
2008and1
AG
Agreed. Still not ready for it.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I want one more year.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Looks like we are getting Pau.

quote:
@WojVerticalNBA: Free agent Pau Gasol is finalzing a deal with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell @TheVertical.

m.twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA

West Texan
AG
Please don't retire Timmy.
West Texan
AG
quote:

quote:
@WojVerticalNBA: Free agent Pau Gasol is finalzing a deal with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell @TheVertical.

That's about as good a move as we can make at this point.
Deluxe
AG
Please save a seat for me on the Spurs bandwagon during the WCF next year
BBQ4Me
AG
quote:

Don't want him to retire, but if Pau signs, then Timmy is coming off the bench.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

6th Man Award as parting gift.
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:

I have zero doubt that he'd be selfless enough to do so, if he chooses to play another year.
TyHolden
AG
quote:

quote:

Guitarsoup
AG
2y/30
LawHall88
AG
quote:
2y/30
So Duncan retires, West walks, who else is out to make the dollars work? Diaw?
DuckDown2013
AG
Hate to see Duncan leave. I really hope he stays with the organization in some way.

Although I am in Virginia, I did get to see Duncan put up 16 and 10 in a losing effort in Charlotte this year. I went to the game because I thought it might be last time to see Timmy play in person.Spurs weren't coming off a B2B, so I figured Timmy had a good shot at getting some good minutes in!

I hope we get Pau and beat those suckers in the Western Finals next year. Man, that would be sweet. Pau, Kawhi, and LA could do some damage!
LawHall88
AG
quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojVerticalNBA 1m1 minute ago
For the Spurs to complete the Gasol signing, they're working on a trade to move Boris Diaw, league sources tell @TheVertical.
West Texan
AG
Kinda sad to see bobo leave, but he was not so great this past year.
Iowaggie
AG
Is that true if Duncan retires?
2008and1
AG
I think Duncan's money is locked in either way.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
Is that true if Duncan retires?
Not certain, but I think Duncan retiring is part of the math.
DuckDown2013
AG
Just let Duncan sit on the bench next to Pop and crack jokes.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Will get ejected. No laughing on the bench.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
The spurs are bringing over Livio Jean-Charles (6'9 sf/pf), likely to bring in Davis Bertans (6'10 sf), and working out Adam Hanga (6'7 sf) all from Europe to go with draft pick D Murray (6'5 combo guard). Also got Simmons in his second year.

If they can find a third wing defender in that crew and bring in Pau, San Antonio has a punchers chance against GS. They can't match up with Aldridge/Kawhi/Gasol and SA could very well enter the season deeper though not as talented.

It looks like San Antonio is consciously bucking the small ball trend they helped start (fast followers of the Lebron Heat).

Next year will be GS's first with a fairly major roster change. Plus, all it takes is one injury. Keep your heads down, be as good as you can be, and see where the chips fall. We've outlasted nascent dynasties before.
Gonna be some turnover on the roster this off season. Could lose up to 7 guys - Duncan, Diaw, West, Miller, Boban, Bonner, and/or Martin. With Pau and Murray added, the Spurs will need a couple of the Euros to work out.
superunknown
AG
quote:
quote:
Will get ejected. No laughing on the bench.

Sources close to my ass tell me Duncan is retiring because without Joey Crawford around to torment, it's just not as fun.
superunknown
AG
Has Francisco Elson said it's ok for Pau to wear #16?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Miller west diaw gone

Boban myst keep

Spurs have best front court in nba and size is how you beat jump shooters
rms007
AG
Excited for addition of Gasol, also as far as warriors go..

Who plays D, set screens & rebounds besides Green? Bogut just got sent to Dally, probably won't be able to resign Iggy, Barbosa either. Barnes Gone.

Lots of vulnerability with trying to outscore everyone, see Suns, PHX circa mid 2000s & current Rockets teams since acquiring Harden..
Ag Natural
AG
Spurs need to find a way to keep Diaw. Worst case scenario is he ends up in GSW.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Timmy leaning strongly towards retirement.
Cappo
AG
Will be a sad day if the Big Fundamental decides to hang it up....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.