Spurs Offseason Thread

46,945 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it's just very rare to have 1 quality 7 footer. for OKC to have 2 plus Ibaka is pretty damn formidable and yeah, if you're in their division you kind of have to plan around that.
Andy07
AG
Sounds like we need Boban to take his rightful place as the greatest center this game has ever seen
Guitarsoup
AG
Gasol has publicly said he would take less to play for a contender and that the Spurs are intriguing.

Wonder if he would take enough of a cut to sign Conley, too.
GatorAg03
AG
That would be the best case scenario. I wonder if Tony would be fine backing up Conley though in a scenario like that. Would he prefer to be traded and start or stay with the organization and play a limited back up role? Maybe Parker could still give a good 20 minutes or so off the bench and still drive the ball well even at his age, but I almost think Patty is a better bench PG with his shooting ability, even with his struggles this post season.

It should be interesting to see how the Warriors and Thunder series goes. If the Warriors crush them, does it really make sense to keep going big, when the Warriors will just spread you out and rain threes? I think the best case scenario for the Spurs future would be OKC knocking off the Warriors or at least almost doing it, since that would show the Warriors are vulnerable down low.

If for some reason the Adams/Ibaka/Kanter trio can't dominate the post/boards, then I don't think an Aldridge/Gasol/Duncan front would be all that much better against the Warriors. Better to go back to the beautiful game in that scenario.

Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Gasol has publicly said he would take less to play for a contender and that the Spurs are intriguing.

Wonder if he would take enough of a cut to sign Conley, too.

Pau is about to turn 36 and he'll be pushing 37 next year when the playoffs start. Signing him would be a significant risk. He's at the age when his production could fall off a cliff at any moment.
West Texan
AG
It's not like we're signing Pau to a long term deal. He'll get one, maybe two years from whoever he signs with. He knows he's nearing the end, which is why he's willing to take less and play for a team with a shot at a ring.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

If for some reason the Adams/Ibaka/Kanter trio can't dominate the post/boards, then I don't think an Aldridge/Gasol/Duncan front would be all that much better against the Warriors. Better to go back to the beautiful game in that scenario.

Well, so far in one half the Warriors aren't having the rebounding trouble the Spurs did. Feels like the Spurs problem was energy, not size.
Ulrich
The Warriors go get the ball. The spurs would box out but then be shocked when the thunder didn't give up immediately. Rebounding is 90% desire and 10% technique.
West Texan
AG
We out rebounded okc in game 1. It's not impossible, but they're more often than not going to be better on the glass.
West Texan
AG
quote:
That would be the best case scenario. I wonder if Tony would be fine backing up Conley though in a scenario like that. Would he prefer to be traded and start or stay with the organization and play a limited back up role? Maybe Parker could still give a good 20 minutes or so off the bench and still drive the ball well even at his age, but I almost think Patty is a better bench PG with his shooting ability, even with his struggles this post season.

It should be interesting to see how the Warriors and Thunder series goes. If the Warriors crush them, does it really make sense to keep going big, when the Warriors will just spread you out and rain threes? I think the best case scenario for the Spurs future would be OKC knocking off the Warriors or at least almost doing it, since that would show the Warriors are vulnerable down low.

Golden State going small allowed okc back in the game. They can't defend well enough to stop them from scoring, and Ibaka and Kanter/Adams are athletic enough to not be absolutely killed in pick and rolls and guarding Draymond. Forcing the dubs o continue to keep two bigs out there so far, which puts them at a significant disadvantage.
West Texan
AG
With that said, Golden State is still winning and going to score close to 90 through 3 quarters, so it's not like the okc bigs have a difference in the defensive end.
West Texan
AG
And sure enough, some huge offensive rebounds for okc on the last minute sealed the victory.
GatorAg03
AG
At least the NBA is consistent. Tons of FTs and a nice questionable call at the end to seal the game. I'm interested to see how the Warriors respond if at all. They finally have to play a team that is comfortable running as fast as they do.
shano0603
AG
Rockets fan here. But my buddy just flew Lamarcus Aldridge and some other Spurs player to Cabo. Dude forgot his passport. Good thing he's famous and has a lot of money. Thought it was funny.
aggie_fan13
AG
my biggest problem was that the bench didn't perform to the expectations. if kawhi and lamarcus were out the game went south
Deputy Travis Junior
Anybody else hoping the Cavaliers don't win the championship so that Richard Jefferson doesn't get a ring?
aggie_fan13
AG
lol yes
superunknown
AG
So there's rumors that the 76ers will be shopping Noel or Okafor.

Any way the Spurs could get on that?
Enzo The Baker
AG
FWIW Marc Gasol is still saying that Pau should come to SA.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Speaking of Marc Gasol, what happened to the Grizzlies?
Matsui
AG
The grizzles got injured. All of their stars except Randolph.
2008and1
AG
quote:
The grizzles got injured. All of their stars except Randolph.

Somehow this feels like an understatement. Something like 28 different players suited up for the Grizzlies this year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
According to sources, the Spurs are going to (finally) make a minimum offer to Davis Bertans.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also, I really hope we don't draft and stash this year. I think we really need to roll the dice in the first round.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
Also, I really hope we don't draft and stash this year. I think we really need to roll the dice in the first round.

Alex Caruso it is.
superunknown
AG
quote:
According to sources, the Spurs are going to (finally) make a minimum offer to Davis Bertans.

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/260762/the-spurs-plans-include-davis-bertans

Little bit o hype over here.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Alex Caruso it is.

Don't be surprised if he gets a look from the Spurs.
Sher Thing
AG
David West has declined his player option and will become a free agent.
West Texan
AG
quote:

I like David West, but I'm not sad about this. We need a bigger guy to play his role of rebounder and defender off the bench. He and Diaw get killed on the glass and have skill sets that are too similar to keep both.
DTP02
AG
quote:
quote:

I like David West, but I'm not sad about this. We need a bigger guy to play his role of rebounder and defender off the bench. He and Diaw get killed on the glass and have skill sets that are too similar to keep both.
I loved the signing originally and West is a good dude who fits the Spurs ethos well, but I was disappointed in his production. I thought he would be a better rebounder and his midrange shot was not nearly as reliable as it's been historically.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

I like David West, but I'm not sad about this. We need a bigger guy to play his role of rebounder and defender off the bench.
If only we knew where to find a bigger, meaner guy to be tough in the post.

West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I like David West, but I'm not sad about this. We need a bigger guy to play his role of rebounder and defender off the bench.
If only we knew where to find a bigger, meaner guy to be tough in the post.

I love Boban, but we saw how effective he was against playoff opponents.
Guitarsoup
AG
He played about 40 trash minutes in the entire playoffs. We didn't see all that much and he was a rookie. We'll see how he progresses in year two. He was at least as effective as David West in the playoffs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
There are reports that The Spurs are trying to move up in the draft, as high as the 12th pick. Interesting. Maybe another Kawhi-type deal is in the works.
Guitarsoup
AG
Boban for the number one pick

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.