Spurs Offseason Thread

47,630 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
Diet Cokehead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What would the Spurs have to give up to make that happen? Danny green, someone else and their 1st? Or is that still not enough?

I don't think anyone really thinks Danny green is a valuable asset in a trade with that contract and how he played some of the time
Still think Green's contract is bad, Maggie? He makes 10% of the salary cap as a starter.
Poor Maggie. Really feel sorry for her actually.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
David West is in unapologetic ring chaser mode now.
Well, he's given up $20+ million to do so. There aren't many who do that.

Dude obviously REALLY wants a ring.
Sher Thing
AG
Diaw will go down as one of my favorite Spurs of all-time. No fifth championship without him. Such a great player when he wants to be. His reoccurring laziness has become more apparent now though as he's gotten older. Wish him the best.
phatbc
quote:
yeah, I don't care if he gives up all his money and plays for saltine crackers and half smoked cigarettes. What does a ring mean when you join a team as the 10th wheel and you really didn't do anything to help build the championship? Can they enscribe "water boy" or "towel waver" on his ring?
CactusThomas
AG
Diaw was one of my favorite players as well. If you're like me and you watch the "Beautiful Game" YouTube video often, you'll notice Diaw and Splitter are in the highlights as much as the big 3. Loved that team.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Diaw will go down as one of my favorite Spurs of all-time. No fifth championship without him. Such a great player when he wants to be. His reoccurring laziness has become more apparent now though as he's gotten older. Wish him the best.
Some of it might be laziness, but let's not forget that 1) he's 34 and 2) he started playing pro basketball 15 years ago when he was 19. That's a lot of miles on the tires for anyone not named Duncan, Malone, or Kareem, especially as Diaw's been carrying around some extra weight for the past few years.

I'll remember the Diaw years fondly. He was the basketball equivalent of a Swiss Army Knife and he played an integral role in the 2014 championship. And, even though we ultimately lost the series, the six game long "wait, is Boris ****ing Diaw somehow LeBron James' kryptonite!?" stretch during the 2013 Finals was one of my favorite sports mini-stories of all time. Followed closely by any time that Durant was forced to switch onto and defend Diaw, and Diaw backed Durant's ass down in the paint like an adult backing down a child.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
yeah, I don't care if he gives up all his money and plays for saltine crackers and half smoked cigarettes. What does a ring mean when you join a team as the 10th wheel and you really didn't do anything to help build the championship? Can they enscribe "water boy" or "towel waver" on his ring?
West is pretty much their #2 PF behind Green now. So not really 10th man.

If Ray Allen comes out of retirement to play, that's a different story.
Cappo
AG
quote:

Thank you Boris
Malcolm52
AG
So if we are going to go big to counter GS small ball approach, we still need another big right?

Gasol/Duncan?/Boban
Aldridge/
Kahwi/Anderson/Simmons
Green/Manu/Martin
Parker/Patty/Murray

I guess we swapped Diaw and West for Gasol essentially. I wish we had a young banger inside like Baynes still...Doesn't seem like we will have much power/athleticism inside to trouble GS. Gasol and LMA are more finesse bigs.

Going to need to see big growth from the Boban, Anderson, and Simmons. Maybe Martin can find the fountain of youth. Anything we get out of Manu/Timmy(if he stays) will be gravy.

I think this team will be fine for the regular season and 55+ wins, but man I hate to waste a year of Kawhi/LMA prime without competing for a title. Do you think yall think we can somehow compete with the Super Kids? I am hoping they have chemistry issues and we can integrate Gasol seamlessly into year two of LMA/Kawhi and our young guys can make a jump...oh and Green regains his 3 point shot and Parker doesn't kill us defensively...sigh
LawHall88
AG
quote:
Going to need to see big growth from the Boban

I don't think that guy is growing any more...
GatorAg03
AG
Another big would be nice but Parker remains the black hole that I see. Any team we go against in the playoffs will have a significant PG advantage. I honestly think keeping Joseph and letting Patty go would have been a better option if we are going big and slow. Duncan need to come back one more year for this to work. He is still a very good rebounder and defender.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
Do you think yall think we can somehow compete with the Super Kids?
No. We should definitely win the "2nd place in Western Conference" trophy though.
Guitarsoup
AG
PG is definitely our weak spot with Parker. We have to upgrade there, since we have to go through CP3 and Curry to get to the Finals.
West Texan
AG
I think Davis Bertans makes the squad this year. 6'10" SF/PF with range. Basically gonna be a Bonner replacement. I think between he and Anderson, they can fill the Diaw roll of being a versatile big in some small ball lineups.
West Texan
AG
quote:
PG is definitely our weak spot with Parker. We have to upgrade there, since we have to go through CP3 and Curry to get to the Finals.

Kyrie Irving is on the other side, were we to make it to the finals.
phatbc
PG is def biggest need
Ulrich
New players:
Last year Gasol averaged 19-13-5 with 2.3 blocks per 36 minutes playing roughly the minutes San Antonio will ask him to play (32 mpg). Next year is also going to be his 16th season at 36 years of age. That production is actually better than his career averages, but that is partly because the peak of his career was on a stacked Lakers team. IMO, we're looking at a smart basketball player who is going to fit right in, but we're taking a chance that his production doesn't tank.

Also new to the team are combo guard Dejounte Murray, Livio Philippe Jean-Charles (not one, not two, not three, but FOUR first names!), and likely Davis Bertans. I'm assuming we won't get much out of the draft pick until I see differently, but LJC could very well contribute defensively as an extremely athletic combo forward. Bertans is an oversized SF; he doesn't have the bulk to play PF effectively, but he's got a quick release and a nice shot.

That puts our post situation thus:
C: Gasol, ?Duncan?, BOBAN
PF: Aldridge, LJC, (Kawhi)
That's not super deep, but it gives you a clear top 10 offensive center in Gasol and a top 5 PF in Aldridge. You can run conventional PF+C lineups or you can slide Aldridge to the 5 and Kawhi to the 4. It's not the same as running prime Diaw at center, but it's a mobile lineup that can do a credible job defending small ball and punish small ball lineups on the offensive end.

Wings:
SF: Kawhi, Anderson, ?Bertans?, ?Kevin Martin?
SG: Green, Manu, Simmons, Murray
Wing is actually a strength nowadays. It's the best defensive 2-3 in the league, both starters are good three point shooters, and there are a variety of skillsets to bring off the bench. IMO there's not enough depth in the post or speed at SF to try big lineups. Slide Kawhi to the 2 and you have to play almost every post at once so no one is resting; keep Kawhi at the 3 but bring in Anderson or Bertans and the lineup gets awfully slow.

Point:
Parker, Mills, (Murray)
Parker is a caretaker at this point. He still shows flashes, but the consistent playoff caliber burst to the rim is behind him. Still, he can feed the post, work the pick and roll, and spot up in the corner. With scorers like Aldridge, Leonard, and Gasol, that should be enough. I'm sure we'll see Murray work with the second team but I doubt he'll get any run in the playoffs.

I've listed 14 players counting Duncan and Bertans but not Martin. Duncan is probably <50% to come back ( ), bringing it to 13. Any new Euros (LJC, ?Bertans?, ?Hanga?) will undoubtedly do the I35 Shuffle. The biggest needs are a top flight PG (unattainable) or a young mauler at center (likely unattainable). At this point, they'll probably take one more, the best talent they can find regardless of position. It would be nice to have another PF/C as injury insurance or a slasher at PG.
Guitarsoup
AG
Birdman, Meyers Leonard or Tyler Zeller?
Guitarsoup
AG
Jonathan Simmons destroyed Ben Simmons today. 13-18 for 35 points.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Ben was sitting out... but yeah Jonathan had a great game.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
Ben was sitting out... but yeah Jonathan had a great game.
He scared of the real Simmons.
Malcolm52
AG
Do we have any space to sign another PG or C if one came available?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Juice did have 9 TOs though. That's enough to make Harden proud.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ray Allen is considering coming out of retirement. The Spurs are one of the teams he would consider playing for. He's now 41 and hasn't played since the Spurs put him into retirement.
DuckDown2013
AG
quote:
Ray Allen is considering coming out of retirement. The Spurs are one of the teams he would consider playing for. He's now 41 and hasn't played since the Spurs put him into retirement.
He would be a liability on defense I assume...but I bet he can still drain 3's...

Edit: If we are talking Veteran minimum....I'd be tempted to go at him!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There is only ONE way I will forgive Ray Allen for game 6. And that is him draining 3's in the finals to help us get #6.
GatorAg03
AG
You take him just to keep another great shooter off GS and to give Green some incentive to pull his head out.

Doubt he would choose ulthw Spurs over the Warriors though. Curry, Thompson, Durant and Allen would be the best 3 pt shooting roster in NBA history by far.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The Warriors are pretty lukewarm to add him apparently.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
F him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bertans agrees to a two year deal with the Spurs. I'm excited for this guy. He shoots at a high percentage from range and looks sneaky athletic. Don't know how he is on the defensive end though. I worry about his strength too.
Ag Natural
AG
Wow, just watched Bertans highlights for the last two seasons. The kid certainly has a quick release with range. If he ends up being good then that George Hill trade officially becomes the heist of the century.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
Wow, just watched Bertans highlights for the last two seasons. The kid certainly has a quick release with range. If he ends up being good then that George Hill trade officially becomes the heist of the century.
That trade already is the heist of the century.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Bertans agrees to a two year deal with the Spurs. I'm excited for this guy. He shoots at a high percentage from range and looks sneaky athletic. Don't know how he is on the defensive end though. I worry about his strength too.

His length should make him a decent rebounder and allow him to disrupt some shots and passing lanes.
Sher Thing
AG
Excited about Bertans. I know the Spurs expect big things. Would have probably been over here sooner if it weren't for his prior knee issues.

Bryn Forbes really shooting the ball well in summer league. I think he has a good chance of making the roster as well.

Saw that last years D-League MVP Jarnell Stokes will player on the Spurs Vegas SL squad. Great rebounder at 6'9. Also a chance to make the team.

Meyers Leonard, Dewayne Dedmon, Terrance Jones also out there who are intriguing players. Might be too expensive for SA though.

Hopefully the Spurs are able to keep Boban, especially with Tim likely calling it quits. It sure seems like they are going to try to keep him but it's far from a sure thing at this point.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Manu officially with the Spurs for another season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.