Spurs Offseason Thread

48,631 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
Sher Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well see what the financials are with Manu. The way his agent was talking has me a bit worried. Could prevent us from retaining Boban if the number is too high.
Enzo The Baker
AG
This team needs a point guard in a bad way.
Sher Thing
AG
The big situation is thinner, especially if Duncan retires. The Spurs might not be able to retain Boban depending on his offers. Only for sure bigs on the roster right now are Aldridge-Pau.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Holy crap. Davis Bertans is missing a finger on his shooting hand. I had no idea.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is today the day?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Edit: missed it
Andy07
AG

NOOOOOOOOO
BlackGold
AG
quote:

NOOOOOOOOO

This hurts us.
Ag Natural
AG
Wow, Detroit is going anti-small ball.

Are we positive the don't match? 7 million per year is a bargain in this market.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Does it really though? Maybe from a depth perspective as a serviceable 11th/12th man.

Boban was an incredibly efficient player...during garbage time. He had some good games when he got a chance to play, but they were against scrub teams. At the end of the day, if we are playing GSW or any other type of up-tempo team, there's no way he could keep up. He's always going to have physical limitations with his speed, no matter how much he develops in other areas.
Andy07
AG

I think that answers whether or not we'll match Boban...but I still want to
Enzo The Baker
AG
Stein said the Spurs have accepted they will lose Boban.
DTP02
AG
I think Boban is a player in this league, but I don't think he makes sense at that salary on a roster that has Aldridge and Pau on it. Ideally, our third big would be someone who brings some athleticism to the table that our top two bigs lack. Boban brings more size, but less ahleticism.

I like him as a player, but I don't know that he makes sense on this roster.
DTP02
AG
I really don't know much about Dedmon. What is his game like?
Ulrich
I love Boban in trash time, but he's not going to help anyone win a playoff game. For 7mm a year, we can compliment Gasol better. I'll miss the big guy though.
Sher Thing
AG
Loved Boban but very happy with the Dedmon signing. Underrated player.
Enzo The Baker
AG
quote:
I really don't know much about Dedmon. What is his game like?

Well his Youtube highlight reel is just 10 minutes of gimme dunks. So it's really hard to say.

Sher Thing
AG
Spurs also kept Dedmon away from GS. Double win. Glad Boban went east also.

Dedmon is a solid player and somebody I was hoping the Spurs could land. Looks like Duncan is done, sadly.

Aldridge - Jean-Charles?
Pau - Dedmon

Still need another rotation big. Wish we had a chance with guys like Meyers Leonard or Terrance Jones.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bertans is a stretch 4, too. I think this solidifies the front line. Now we just need to add a vet point guard.
Sher Thing
AG
Bertans is more of a 3 for sure. Definitely don't think it solidifies the front line as we only have three bigs on the roster, one of which is 36 years old lol.

Lots of rumors though about other potential pieces like Jean-Charles, Bourrosis, Willie Reed, Jarnell Stokes, etc. Spurs still very thin inside.
Sher Thing
AG
With Parker-Mills on the roster not sure what vet PG you are anticipating.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mills is a terrible point guard. I hope he can play more off of the ball this year. That's where he's most effective.

It would be nice to have a PG who can run the offense and play defense.
GatorAg03
AG
Probably not attainable but a Cory Joseph type would be perfect. If there wasn't history with Parker, I would almost trade him straight up. We need a taller, younger PG that can play defense on this team and not turn the ball over.

Parker and Mills are no longer good enough on offense or defense. The west is loaded at PG.
Sher Thing
AG
I know Parker is the goto scapegoat for Spurs fans but he holds very little value around the league right now and he isn't going anywhere. As far as finding a backup PG, the Spurs are really strapped for cash right now and they don't have any money to offer a good contract in this market. Unless they trade for another PG (trade who?), it doesn't look likely unless you are talking about bringing an Andre Miller type PG back.

DTP02
AG
You can see that Dedmon's big and he's athletic from that video, so that checks a couple of boxes of what the Spurs need. Of course, it helps if he can actually defend on and off the ball, set screens, get into the right spots, score off something besides dunks...

A quick search turned up a pretty good writeup on him here:

http://behindthebuckpass.com/2016/06/20/nba-free-agency-player-profile-dewayne-dedmon/

I was initially disappointed to read that he was 26, thinking that meant he didn't have a lot of upside and thus was relegated to being a journeyman type.

But the linked article points out that he didn't play any organized hoops until his first year at some Podunk community college, only 7 years ago. That means he likely has considerable upside left. That probably also means he's in for some pretty serious growing pains adapting to the Spurs system, but if he sticks it out he could develop into something. He has the size and athleticism the Spurs need, but now he needs to become a player.

It also sounds like he won't be someone who gets into trouble off the court, which is a plus.

This looks like a good signing, one that could be very good if he continues to develop, especially for what is a pretty bargain price tag in this market.
Sher Thing
AG
I personally think Mills will have a bounce back season and he's a hell of a bargain at $3M this season. I hope Simmons is ready to take the next step because the Spurs are still sorely lacking in the play-making department and don't have much $ left to address their needs.
GatorAg03
AG
When you get torched by Paul and Westbrook in consecutive seasons then you are likely worthy of being the scapegoat.

With the ability of LMA, Gasol and Leonard to score the basketball, we at a minimum need to upgrade defensively at the position. Parker will likely get the lion share of the minutes still but we need someone that can slow down the elite PGs at least a little.
Sher Thing
AG
I honestly think I would rather have Dedmon than Boban tbqh. And he's $15M cheaper.
DTP02
AG
Also, this video from SI which is embedded in the article I linked above is worth viewing on Dedmon, talking about how his Jehovah's Witness faith kept him out of organized sports, allowing him to be one of the only athletic 7-footers in the country who was completely off basketball scouts' radar.

Bonus points for having an interview with the community college's janitor, who Dedmon used to have shooting contests with during his breaks from his job in the cc cafeteria. This kid's story is pretty crazy.

Another gem is the quote from then-USC coach Kevin O'Neill, who's coached for several major colleges as well as 6-8 years in the NBA, who said that Dedmon plays with more energy than any big man he's ever been around. That, plus being 7 feet(ish) and athletic, is a heckuva place to start.

He could end up a real gem and fill an athleticism void in the frontcourt which the Spurs desperately need to fill. As I said above, however, I expect a guy like Dedmon, who is very raw in skill and BBall IQ, to have a tough transition to the Spurs offensive and defensive systems. Everyone will need to be patient before we see what we have.

Sher Thing
AG
Likely scenario is going young at the position and hopefully finding someone who can give good minutes. Not sure if Murray is ready to be that guy yet but you already saw an indication that this is the likely route the Spurs will take with the partially guaranteed signing of Arcidiacono. Unless the Spurs can talk a good veteran PG to play for the minimum in this market, I don't see any better realistic option.
GatorAg03
AG
Yea, Green and Mills are likely our most tradeable remaining assets. I like Green's defense and hope his shot comes back. Mills is nice to have as a change of pace 1/2 combo and a guy that can heat it up off the bench when he is on, but his defense is still weak.

Maybe the draft pick can provide some fresh legs a z defense if he can limit turnovers.
Enzo The Baker
AG
quote:
I honestly think I would rather have Dedmon than Boban tbqh. And he's $15M cheaper.

Completely agree. He has the potential to play meaningful minutes with his athletic ability. Better than paying a large chunk to a bench warmer, as much as I love Boban.
Sher Thing
AG
Manu - Dedmon P&R will be deadly..
Malcolm52
AG
quote:
When you get torched by Paul and Westbrook in consecutive seasons then you are likely worthy of being the scapegoat.

With the ability of LMA, Gasol and Leonard to score the basketball, we at a minimum need to upgrade defensively at the position. Parker will likely get the lion share of the minutes still but we need someone that can slow down the elite PGs at least a little.
In Parker's defense, who doesn't get torched by CP3 and Westbrook? He still has an efficient (although declining) offensive game, and in crunch time we will just have to use Kawhi or Green to guard the playmaking PGs. It would be great to have some young defensive stud PG, but where exactly are we going to get him? Parker is a better option at PG than most.
GatorAg03
AG
That's the point though. A couple years ago. Parker would score on them at will and would not be such a net negative. I completely agree ther isn't much better out there and that Parker is still a top 50% PG, so unless a cheap vet pops up, it will likely be status quo with the rookie draft pick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.