***** USMNT vs England WC Game Thread (11/25) *****

26,891 Views | 655 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OregonAggie
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not all European clibs and leagues are equal. MLS game getting better benefits the Americans that need a quality landing spot when their Euro club opportunities dont line up.
Pahdz
Emmanuel Reynoso as well (he was on my mind since I'm a Minnesota season ticket holder)
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Not all European clibs and leagues are equal. MLS game getting better benefits the Americans that need a quality landing spot when their Euro club opportunities dont line up.

MLS is getting better and better and so are the lower leagues.

They need to stop expanding and really continue to grow the American talent and play that young talent. Sell certain homegrown players and also make it lucrative to play in the states.
TheMasterplan
Man bobby wood really fell off.
fig96
AG
AgRyan04 said:

That's a good point....Sabastian Driussi is a great example of that. He was an MVP finalist but doesn't have a cap with Argentina.
Though TBH he probably should and very well may in the future, as should others. There are lots of outstanding players out there who just haven't gotten the right shot.
fig96
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Bale came to the MLS for a paycheck and an opportunity to get himself into game shape for the World Cup
Bale is actually making a good bit less for LA than he was in Europe, for the record.
fig96
AG
Just to add to the MLS discussion, bit different culture between leagues when it comes to Mexico but they've left home two of their best attackers (both of whom play in MLS).
aggiephoenix02
Do you think they coulda used them today?
Pahdz
I asked the same question in their group thread. Vela has retired from NT duty, but Chicharito was a Landon Donovan-like ommission.
deadbq03
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Man bobby wood really fell off.
I'd argue he was never really that good to begin with. He's a one-season wonder, and that one season was in Bundesliga 2, which is unquestionably easier than MLS.

To me, he stands as a stark example of not blindly thinking Europe guys are automatically better… and I say that as someone who had been duped and was ticked off when we weren't using Wood.
TheMasterplan
Yeah I don't know why I started thinking about him but I did and looked him up.

Can't be blindly pro MLS or pro Europe.

I actually don't think Zimmerman has been too bad.
Pahdz
What's funny is, there are not really "pro MLS" people, there are just "Europe only" people and then folks who have to point out the flaws of that line of thinking.
aggiephoenix02
Well done, Pahdz.

Down with EuroSnobs…
Valtrex_11
People who say anyone whom plays outside of Europe sucks really have low soccer Iqs a dude playing in the Turkish super league might win the golden boot....

smh
MookieBlaylock
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

People who say anyone whom plays outside of Europe sucks really have low soccer Iqs a dude playing in the Turkish super league might win the golden boot....

smh

This is what happens when your only play FIFA and watch arsenal
oh no
AG
MLS designated players is proving to be great for up and coming central and South American players instead of just aging European stars. It's helping the quality of the league a lot. If they expand more, they might need to tweak the requirements for designated players to keep these quality players coming but affordable yet keep developing domestic players. For usmnt, since they got rid of USDA, they need better and better athletes to choose and stick with soccer and they need these mls academies to be successful enough to make it lucrative to hire quality scouts and coaches for their academies to want to develop great domestic players.
TXAggie2011
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Valtrex_11 said:

smh

This is what happens when your only play FIFA and watch arsenal

Nothing wrong with either of those!
agsalaska
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

smh

So, I haven't seen anyone say that on this thread.

And Turkey is in Europe.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Pahdz
Depends on who you ask...I always thought it was Asia
agsalaska
AG
Pahdz said:

Depends on who you ask...I always thought it was Asia

Interesting.

That explains a lot. Thanks
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Pahdz
Eurasia? It's a gray area
aggiephoenix02
It depends on the century…
Knucklesammich
Furlock Bones said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

PatAg said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

It's going to be hard to get the best athletes to play the best game if we tell them they have to leave the country to be the best.

You dont need "the best athletes", and its a bit silly to suggest our problem has anything to do with lacking athletes anyways.
I may have phrased that poorly. More of our best athletes is a better phrasing.

You cannot deny that more elite athletes play other sports. I think we'd have the talent of Brazil if this was the primary sport.

Quality of athlete is not why we aren't as good. It's quality and quantity of youth academy building. We don't have it. Europe has had for decades and decades. These kids are recruited into a club academy at single digits. They go to school and play soccer. The club pays their way. Now look at the US where kids have to get on elite travel teams that cost lots and lots of money and time for the families.

So much this. The politics of the elite clubs and requisite pay to play hamstring a large chunk of our player pool.
Rudyjax
AG
Geographically, Europe. Culturally, Asia.

Hth.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie
AG
fig96 said:

The future is bright…

Who's this "Reyna" you speak of? I didn't know we had a Reyna on the squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.