***** USMNT vs England WC Game Thread (11/25) *****

27,016 Views | 655 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OregonAggie
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gordo14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wrong. There's no scenario where USA gets in without a win against Iran regardless of getting the point today.

Iran would finish with 4 and get in ahead of USA.

No you completely missed what I said. Winning against Iran is a given. If we are still at 1 point right now and England at 6, there would be scenarios we don't advanvce even with a win vs Iran. Namely, Wales beating England by enough goals to cover the GD.

That's not how this works.
Quit being a dense troll on a thread for a team you dont support.
He is saying the scenario where we advance, winning agains Iran is a given variable.
Gordo14
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gordo14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wrong. There's no scenario where USA gets in without a win against Iran regardless of getting the point today.

No you completely missed what I said. Winning against Iran is a given. If we are still at 1 point right now and England at 6, there would be scenarios we don't advanvce even with a win vs Iran. Namely, Wales beating England by enough goals to cover the GD.

That's not my ****ing point. For the purposes of discussing how the US can possibly advance, all of those scenarios include beating Iran. Therefore, for the purposes of the discussion of "how can the USA advance out of the group" it's the starting point of every discussion. Now there is no scenario where we beat Iran and we don't advance. Had we lost to England, there were still scenarios we could beat Iran and still not advance. Try to keep up. Thanks.
YouBet
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It's real simple now. Win or go home.

I'll need to see the math on this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What part of my posting indicates I don't support USA?
Whirligigs
Win or go home. Of course , given my pessimistic nature, we will end up going home based off all ties.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're right, if Wales ends up beating England by 3+ goals. Incredibly unlikely, but I concede.
OasisMan
AG
Gordo14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gordo14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's not my ****ing point. For the purposes of discussing how the US can possibly advance, all of those scenarios include beating Iran. Therefore, for the purposes of the discussion of "how can the USA advance out of the group" it's the starting point of every discussion. Now there is no scenario where we beat Iran and we don't advance. Had we lost to England, there were still scenarios we could beat Iran and still not advance. Try to keep up. Thanks.
Yep,
I really dont see how this is hard to understand
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Your entire posting history on this forum is about supporting Mexico and trolling our game threads.
I dont hate or dislike you, so sorry if it is coming across that way. Its just annoying
Aggies2009
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Aggies2009 said:

Wait. I'm confused too. How does 1 point help us here vs 0? We have to beat Iran either way.
Technically, the Welsh could have knocked us out of the World Cup with a lopsided win against England, even if we beat Iran. Now that can't happen.
Gotcha. Guess I was getting ahead of myself predicting that Wales would not blow England out.

But with this World Cup, who knows haha
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Your entire posting history on this forum is about supporting Mexico and trolling our game threads.

You realize it is possible to support multiple teams?
rgag12
AG
A draw versus England in the WC? Who woulda thought
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But supporting Mexico and the US is like supporting the horns and the aggies, the Red Sox and the Yankees, the cowboys and the eagles.

It's illogical.
PatAg
AG
One thing is for sure, this tie is NOT the same feeling as 2010
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess the millions of Mexican Americans in this country are **** out of luck.
Aggies2009
AG
YouBet said:

Mathguy64 said:

It's real simple now. Win or go home.

I'll need to see the math on this.
After 2 games:

England- 4
Iran- 3
USA - 2
Wales - 1

Wales plays England, we play Iran.

In the case of a USA win vs Iran, USA would have 5 and Iran has 3. Wales can only reach 4 with a win over England (who would still be at 4), meaning we jump England and Wales. If England and the USA win, England wins the group and USA finishes 2nd, ahead of Wales and Iran.

In the case of a USA loss, Iran has 6 and England has at least 4. No way we advance.

In the event of a USA vs Iran tie, USA will end with 3 points and Iran will end with 4 (England is already at 4) and we have no way of catching them.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Definitely not possible to evenly support them
Mike Elko
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

3-0 England

Bump...

Ya ******.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I didn't say evenly. Changing the goalposts now.
Rudyjax
AG
Basically, this game being a tie did absolute nothing.
PatAg
AG
I think subbing ONLY aaronson in was a mistake. He needed to also sub out Wright at that moment, fresh legs in both positions could have forced more English errors

Not going to gripe at gregg too much beyond that, and Moore crapping the bed
Tactically, we played multiple formations and clearly had England on the backfoot for a lot of the game. Gregg AND the players excelled and I think we should have wont that game

Very nervous about Iran after their showing against Wales
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I didn't say evenly. Changing the goalposts now.
No, because you may think you are suppporting both teams but it certainly never comes across that way to anyone on game threads.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's all good, just not appreciating the unprovoked jabs. I've been supporting USA throughout the thread and in every game not played against Mexico.
La Bamba
AG
Here's something I dont understand…

Against Wales we looked like we "faded" in the second half a bit. In terms of the energy we played with. But today I thought the team played a much better 90 minutes and against much tougher competition. Did we fade as much as I thought we did against Wales or did we intentionally play soft to "bunker down" and protect the 1-0 lead? Because had we played both games like we did today, we'd be sitting on 4 points.
JJxvi
AG
Ratings...all feels no data.

Wright- Yikes.

Pulisic- Great Game

Weah- Ok. Pretty Good

McKennie- Excellent.

Musah- Ok. I still dont get it.

Adams- Awesome. Again.

Robinson- Another Great Game

Ream- Solid work

Zimmerman- Ok. If England had scored on their last set piece, we were gonna need to round up the pitchfork mob though.

Dest- Much better. Great effort.

Turner- Great game

Aaronson- Ok, but not much opportunity

Moore- Good minutes

Reyna/Sargent- not much impact to go on
LeonardSkinner
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No, it's not.

There's the team you support.
The teams where you think, "good for them"
The teams where you're indifferent
The teams where you think, "I wish someone else would win"

And then there's Mexico.
Aggies2009
AG
PatAg said:

I think subbing ONLY aaronson in was a mistake. He needed to also sub out Wright at that moment, fresh legs in both positions could have forced more English errors

Tactically, we played multiple formations and clearly had England on the backfoot for a lot of the game. Gregg AND the players excelled and I think we should have wont that game

I'm only nervous because we HAVE to win. A tie is the most likely result.
akm91
AG
Aggies2009 said:

powerbelly said:

OasisMan said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sports-Ag said:

USA just needs to survive the way it's going the last 5 minutes.

Meh, a tie or 0-1 loss makes no difference.
No

Don't argue with the Mexico fan

Wait. I'm confused too. How does 1 point help us here vs 0? We have to beat Iran either way.
We had to have 4 pts in our two matches against England and Iran to be guaranteed advancement to knockout round.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's all good, just not appreciating the unprovoked jabs. I've been supporting USA throughout the thread and in every game not played against Mexico.
Thats why I was trying to not be insulting (beyond saying you troll, because that is how I find it has always come across).
Its just not possible to fully support like we do, so when we are going crazy about something in the game and you say "well actually it was a foul" its not going to get favorable responses.
Rudyjax
AG
I can agree with everything but Moore. He was a definite downgrade from Dest.
Aggies2009
AG
akm91 said:

Aggies2009 said:

powerbelly said:

OasisMan said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sports-Ag said:

USA just needs to survive the way it's going the last 5 minutes.

Meh, a tie or 0-1 loss makes no difference.
No

Don't argue with the Mexico fan

We had to have 4 pts in our two matches against England and Iran to be guaranteed advancement to knockout round.
Yeah someone else explained the scenario (however unlikely) where a loss today and win vs Iran could still mean going home. I get it now.
PatAg
AG
Aggies2009 said:

PatAg said:

Yep, we SHOULD win, but we have already been in position to win twice and tied.
Iran has 2 wildly different games so far, so its hard to even know what they will look like.

I also think Gregg is going to have to alter the lineup, just becuase its really hard to play the same starting lineup all 3 games in group stage. Generally speaking
PatAg
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

I can agree with everything but Moore. He was a definite downgrade from Dest.
Yep, he was what I was expecting to be when I saw him come him
He was just also that player in Europe, before coming back to the MLS.
Some players just arent good enough for this level
Aggies2009
AG
PatAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

PatAg said:

Yep, we SHOULD win, but we have already been in position to win twice and tied.
Iran has 2 wildly different games so far, so its hard to even know what they will look like.

I also think Gregg is going to have to alter the lineup, just becuase its really hard to play the same starting lineup all 3 games in group stage. Generally speaking
Hopefully knowing a tie doesn't help us will lead Berhalter to make changes.

It is interesting that in both games, Iran scored 2 goals. Let's hope that isn't the case vs us ha.
akm91
AG
Aggies2009 said:

PatAg said:

Iran can't just play for a draw as they would be out if Wales beats England due to GD. Iran is tied with Wales for GD.
oh no
AG
I'd like to reiterate this was a pretty damn good effort and performance from our boys. Sterling, Saka, Mount and the English attack other than Kane tracking back were nearly invisible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.