***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

51,474 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what a frustrating game. just harkened back to the 08-14 years where it looks like we have a decent squad on paper and then just look like the TAMU men's hoops team when we take the field, meaning playing scared and disconnected.

That Zimmerman tackle -- what are you doing bro? I'm fairly certain he already had a yellow at that point and honestly we were beyond lucky he wasn't sent off. To be so close to 2-0 only to end up with a dreaded draw is so typical of this program. I really don't want to end up in a tie-break situation with Wales.

The first half had some real positives and I thought we'd come out fairly consistent in the 2nd half. The subs seemed to pull the wind out of our sails.
BigfootYancey
AG
Dre_00 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Jesus H Christ

Berhalter says about Gio: "In the phase of the game we were at, we went with Jordan who we felt could give us speed and power."

I actually don't disagree with this if you consider that Morris didn't come on till the 87th minute. The game was a choppy mess of frantic flail ball. Midfield was an afterthought at this point for both teams. Reyna can't change that dynamic in 2 minutes and they didn't have time to give him time to change it.

But if Reyna could have come on at say, the 70th minute and didn't? Then that's really hard to understand. The 2nd half was just a disorganized muddle on offense and none of his subs did anything to try and correct that.
We should have subbed Reyna for Pulisic 70'. Would have saved him some of the beating and he was gassed.

And while on the topic of subs, Haji Wright was a really bad one. I don't think he brought a single positive to the game. Don't mind Yedlin but should have done it sooner.

Don't mind Acosta as Musah was injured I believe, but the drop-off from our starting CM's is huge. Would have preferred Aaronson for Weah and to leave McKinnie in, although it was McKinnie's first game in a while and he was on a yellow.
JJxvi
AG
Wright was in the game to head in some of that juicy Christian Pulisic sublime ball striking.
oh no
AG
it's not Haji's fault he wasn't able to make a difference. How many touches did his teammates get for him?
KCup17
AG
I just really wish we could give Wright and Sargent more quality service. I'm still undecided on them as national team players because we provide such poor service to both. The 9 position in Berhalters system is mainly one of a pressing high up the pitch on and island by themselves.

Sargent did have a phenomenal touch to set CP away on the goal though.
oh no
AG
Wales gave us possession in the first half. They let us have it. They weren't afraid of us and they weren't panicked without possession. But once they conceded and had to change their tactics, we knew they'd have to shift to be more attacking and we knew all we had to do was defend and either counter with a second goal or not do something stupid. We ****ed around and found out by doing something stupid.
texagbeliever
oh no said:

it's not Haji's fault he wasn't able to make a difference. How many touches did his teammates get for him?

What i didn't see from Haji was great hold up play and linking things up. He wasn't making runs dragging CBs out of position leaving space for another player. Moore changed the Wales attack because he instantly created space for every attacking player.

US is lucky Moore didn't start otherwise we likely wouldn't have bossed the first half.
JJxvi
AG
Ratings...all feels no data.

Sargent- Nice job, I mean we don't expect much from our forwards. So anything we get is nice.

Pulisic- Whatever, good game. Nice assist. Put some ice on it, work on your form landing on the ground. Learn how to kick a dead ball.

Weah- Sweet goal. Great game.

McKennie- OK.

Musah- Bleh

Adams- Awesome

Robinson- Great Game

Ream- Where the **** have you been?

Zimmerman- Yikes. One moment just throws it all away bud.

Dest- Bleh

Turner- OK

Aaronson- Nice game

Wright- You were out there doing some things. Some were forward like.

Yedlin- Ugh. And your hair sucks too.

Acosta- No set pieces no care.

Morris- Well you ran fast with much power.
aggiebird02
Nailed it!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Amazing trip so far.

Wales fans were brilliant the whole day. Lots of good chants.

You can stick your fing soccer up your arse was my favorite (to she'll be comin round the mountain beat)

All in good fun. Quick with wit and a nice hand shake and good luck.

Subs felt way too late at the game McKennie seemed to really be laboring early 2nd half. We didn't last 90 with Wales...England's depth scares me, but really some excellent stuff today. Thought Ream was amazing.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Have you ever seen a ref talk so much? Ever?!?!?

He talked to Turner on PK, he talked and walked off one of our players, I mean why is he talking so much.
oh no
AG
2nd match day:

USA great effort and luck vs England with a result: golden
USA good effort and luck vs England with a draw: probably golden
USA good effort and luck vs England with only a 0-1 or 1-2 loss: feeling ok with GD vs Iran on 3rd match day vitally important
USA bad effort and unlucky vs England with a 2+ GD loss: burn it down.

on the other hand, if Iran hasn't mailed it in and beats or draws Wales on the second match day, all bets are off.

what we don't want is for England to feel like 3rd match day (games' first kick at same time) doesn't matter while USA needs a Wales loss and a 2 or more GD win v Iran to advance.
aggiebird02
The ref was in way over his head, the fricken amateur should have never been given a spot as a World Cup ref…
JJxvi
AG
We got lucky today with the ref. I mean unlucky that we got this guy, but super lucky that nothing really ever happened that made the result of the game a total joke.
DeangeloVickers
AG
JJxvi
AG
I'm presuming that Gareth Bale got FIFA's man of the match award for this game because he's the only player on either team that anybody at FIFA could name right?
JJxvi
AG
TexAgs' super duper totally official man of the match award, sponsored by **** FIFA...is Tyler Adams! Congratulations Tyler!
KCup17
AG
What's crazy is that Bale was MIA for the entirety of the game until he popped up in front of goal and got fouled. Moore had more of an impact on the game than he did.
oh no
AG
Ream, Antonee, Weah, Adams were really good. CP's assist was excellent.

I liked our starting 11. Probably our best 11. Probably needed to sub earlier. Add a defender. Get Brandan on earlier.
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't understand what Pulisic is even attempting on his corner kicks.
PatAg
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I don't understand what Pulisic is even attempting on his corner kicks.
For all of his many talents, he is one of those guys that is just lumping it and hoping.,
Hes not capable of the inch perfect cross, and at this level, that isnt good enough
You should be able to put the ball in any 4 ft area at will , 90% of the time, from set pieces
Its not always going to be perfect, but what he is delivering many high schoolers could do better with ease
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
that's hilarious
aggiebird02
There is a couple of BQ brothers that post here on Texags that y'all know that can do a much better job at corners that CP does.

I want Acosta taking corners if he's in the game…
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

Its not always going to be perfect, but what he is delivering many high schoolers could do better with ease
That's what it looks like to me. I'm watching this thinking "there are probably dozens of people in the crowd that could hit a low slow line drive into the scrum like that". And it's literally every time, for several years now.
jeffk
AG
How we all doing? I'm still coming down off the disappointment of losing out on three points because of a poor challenge from a player who knows better.

Which is funny because I would have taken a 1-1 tie probably gladly if given the chance before the game. Wales is a decent team and we dominated them for more than half the game. I get not wanting to take Weston off at halftime, but leaving him on probably cost us the momentum and control of the game.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

How we all doing? I'm still coming down off the disappointment of losing out on three points because of a poor challenge from a player who knows better.

Which is funny because I would have taken a 1-1 tie probably gladly if given the chance before the game. Wales is a decent team and we dominated them for more than half the game. I get not wanting to take Weston off at halftime, but leaving him on probably cost us the momentum and control of the game.
I think we still have a very good chance to advance, we still have a very good chance to get a result against England.
Some of it comes down to Gregg making the right choices, which he can but Im not supremely confident he will.
Some of it will be players rising to the occassion, which is what the World Cup is all about.
In theory, we should be recovering faster than almost every team for game 2...but then again we had a lot of players looking exhausted in the 2nd half. So we maybe cant expect that.
jeffk
AG
Hoping Reyna get the start and comes out with his hair on fire.
Hand Of God
AG
KCup17
AG
I'm pretty bummed. Felt more like a loss than anything. Real worried about England. My main issue was where did the intensity and using our wingers to drive at the defense go in the 2nd half? We were constantly having Dest and Arob overlap CP and Weah and I don't remember us doing it in the first 20 mins of the 2nd half. Really frustrating because you can see that we have the quality to finish off decent teams like Wales.
ac04
zgolfz85
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Ha seriously. It was so bad that mid slide he was already trying to negotiate his way out of a penalty. If you watch it back, he starts yelling at the ref before the tackle is even finished. Dude had a brain fart (hopefully that's what it was) on the biggest stage. That tackle was so reactionary and so unnecessary
Gordo14
ac04 said:

And if you don't love that, then you don't love triple G.
JJxvi
AG
Fairview20
AG
How's your living situation over there? Saw some tweets showing the fan village already looking like a mini fyre fest with toilets that aren't working, long check in lines, etc.
fig96
AG
I hate when Lalas is right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.