***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

45,026 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The team we expected to see finally showed up in the second half. What a crap effort after a great first half.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
PatAg
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

PatAg said:

SMARTEST PLAY ACOSTA HAS MADE ALL DAY
WTF Acosta only came in at 74 minute mark, Some of your comments have been way off
? Why would that statement not be true?
Aggies1322
AG
tysker said:

Haji and Aaronson dont play in the MLS

List the others...
OneBlitzer
AG
Dropped points today! Bad challenge in the box was a poor decision. Difference between advancing and going home for these two teams might come down to which can get point(s) against England..
bagger05
AG
We have to figure out how to miss the first defender on crosses. Seems like every time we just hit it straight into the person closest to the ball.
oh no
AG
Tactically, what do you do different vs England? A draw would be huge. GD will be vitally important as Wales and USA will both beat Iran. We have 3 dudes on yellow.
Hand Of God
AG
US looked like they could top the group in the first half.

US looked like the team that couldn't even qualify in the second half.
PatAg
AG
Pulisic can NOT take the corners and set pieces going forward, I dont care about his ego.
He is not good at it
Gordo14
Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Dest couldn't go anymore and Yedlin is clearly our 2nd best option at rb. It's just the reality.
Agthatbuilds
The gap in talent from the 11 that started to the 11 that finished is massive
MookieBlaylock
AG
REF came out slinging the yellows in the first 10 minutes then let a bunch of BS go by Whales - He allowed Pulisic to take countless cheap shots

young team lots to learn -
Aggies1322
AG
You have to fire Gregg if we don't get out of the group.. the guy is a liability every match as our manager. Please bring in another non-American that has no ties to the MLS and prefers players overseas. Please.
jeffdjohnson
Draw feels like a loss. Beat Iran and this will come down to goal differential. One problem is that England may already be through by the final match, how does that impact their performance versus Wales. Huge disappointment and wasted opportunity.
PatAg
AG
Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Dest couldn't go anymore and Yedlin is clearly our 2nd best option at rb. It's just the reality.
Scally is the 2nd best
Gregg has it in his head that Yedlin has 'experience' and offers better coverage defensively
Boiling Denim
Midfield play today was pretty atrocious. Poor first touch passing, poor first touches, no linkup with forwards. Not gonna give us a lot of opportunities to score

Pulisic will escape most criticism because of the assist but good lord he was really inefficient today. A lot of poor balls
OregonAggie
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

England game is gonna be brutal

I think we have to take the game to them. Their defense isn't fast or great and we're gonna have chances. Iran barely pressed them but their back line was shaky when Iran did. We have the players to do it.

Still think we lose but I don't think it's gonna be a rout
Gordo14
It really sucks that Wales gets England last. We really need a result now against England, otherwise England has nothing to play for on the last matchday and we need to advance in a GD scenario.
La Bamba
AG
So moving forward you kinda expect both of these teams can take care of Iran and prolly lose to England. Goal differential will be the difference in advancing.
PatAg
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Midfield play today was pretty atrocious. Poor first touch passing, poor first touches. Not gonna give us a lot of opportunities to score

Pulisic will escape most criticism because of the assist but good lord he was really inefficient today. A lot of poor balls
He was good in the 1st half, and then he was the Pulisic we have seen in qualifying. He doesnt get the ball off his feet quickly enough.
Now, its possible that the other players arent getting forward to support him when he has the ball, the camera often just zooms in on Pulisic when he has it.
Gordo14
PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Scally is the 2nd best
Gregg has it in his head that Yedlin has 'experience' and offers better coverage defensively

I've watched Scally play for the US a few times. I don't know how you can really say that.
AgGrad99
AG
We can't sit back and defend after a lead. We're not built like that. We need to keep pressing, need to keep posession.
Bubblez
This was a complete utter disaster. Zimmerman should be sent home for that crap. England already will be through to the 2nd round when playing their final game against Wales, resting whomever they want. Iran of course won't lay down so easily.
Rudyjax
AG
Gordo14 said:

It really sucks that Wales gets England last. We really need a result now against England, otherwise England has nothing to play for on the last matchday and we need to advance in a GD scenario.

That's not true. They'll want to rip the group.

If they're sitting on 6, and Wales on 4, to they'll need to tie.
eiggA2002
AG
Amen. Personally I don't think you should be in the team if you play MLS. It needs to be a liability not a golden ticket.
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

We can't sit back and defend after a lead. We're not built like that. We need to keep pressing, need to keep posession.

We didn't. Wales went from bunkering and hoping for a counter to playing direct.
dallasiteinsa02
I think the foul on Zimmerman gets called everytime but I don't see it the way everyone else seems to see it. I see Zimmerman could directly for the ball and Bale coming across throwing his leg over Zimmerman. Still gets called but that is a smart play that there isn't really anything that Zimmerman can do.
texagbeliever
jeffdjohnson said:

Draw feels like a loss. Beat Iran and this will come down to goal differential. One problem is that England may already be through by the final match, how does that impact their performance versus Wales. Huge disappointment and wasted opportunity.

As long as Wales wins, England won't have first locked up. Even then their 2nd group of forwards are Rashford, Foden, Grealish and Callum Wilson. All guys that can score and want to be starters.
deadbq03
AG
Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Scally is the 2nd best

I've watched Scally play for the US a few times. I don't know how you can really say that.
"A few times" is literally all he's been given. Dude has been a regular starter in Bundesliga for a season and a half. He should've been called up during WCQ.
PatAg
AG
Gordo14 said:

PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Scally is the 2nd best

Because he has played very well in the Bundesliga
Socrates05
AG
PatAg said:

Boiling Denim said:

Midfield play today was pretty atrocious. Poor first touch passing, poor first touches. Not gonna give us a lot of opportunities to score

He was good in the 1st half, and then he was the Pulisic we have seen in qualifying. He doesnt get the ball off his feet quickly enough.
Now, its possible that the other players arent getting forward to support him when he has the ball, the camera often just zooms in on Pulisic when he has it.

Agree on the first half, best I have seen him in a US jersey. Second? Runners were absolutely there and just missed as he held too long.
Gordo14
Ken Scarborough said:

Gordo14 said:

That's not true. They'll want to rip the group.

If they're sitting on 6, and Wales on 4, to they'll need to tie.

England would already be through, just if they finish 1st or 2nd in the group at that point. Group A isn't strong enough that I would care which place I finished in - I'd care more about keeping my top players fit.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
That, and you'd think England in no way wants to give anything to Wales.
oragator
Terrible foul on the Pk, GB had his back to the goal and WZ had help.
But to be back on my soap box …back to goal, almost 18 full yards away, and a foul apparently warrants an 80 percent chance at a goal in a game where they had 1 shot on goal in 80 minutes to that point I think.
It's a terrible rule in a game where goals are at such a premium, will preach that for forever.

To the larger picture, a tie wasn't the worst result, but that was a very winnable game. Feels like a loss.

Let's go get England.
tysker
AG
PatAg said:

Gordo14 said:

Aggies1322 said:

tysker said:

List the others...

Scally is the 2nd best

You think Scally was the better choice over Yedlin? In this game, at that time?
TXAggie2011
AG
Gordo14 said:

We need a result, period. Point taken, but relatively speaking, England's squad will be motivated to beat Wales…they won't want to hear about anything else from the Welsh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.