***** USMNT vs Wales WC Game Thread (11/21) *****

44,795 Views | 1053 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by akm91
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

I want us to be able to put the back line of England under pressure because they are not skilled passers of the ball.
I'm not so sure of that. I think their achilles is they're fairly slow but they're pretty good passers. Stones gets regular starts for Pep and wouldn't be on the field if he couldn't pass the ball.

When Iran actually pressed them yesterday, they didn't perform well. Some of it was probably due to the fact that Iran barely pressed for most of the game but they didn't look good when they did.

I think that's exactly what we need to do for parts of the game Friday.
TRM
AG
tysker said:

Weston is on a yellow card.
If he's not fully fit do you risk playing him and have him miss the Iran game?

If we can't beat Iran without him, we don't deserve to move on.
deadbq03
AG
TRM said:

tysker said:

Weston is on a yellow card.
If he's not fully fit do you risk playing him and have him miss the Iran game?

If we can't beat Iran without him, we don't deserve to move on.
Yeah… the opposite might be a better approach. Tell him to go balls out against England, fight hard, and enjoy some well-earned time off against Iran if that 2nd yellow comes.

After typing that, I realize something that gives me a shred of optimism… there's a bunch that ggg does wrong, but one thing that does seem to happen under him is that this team gets up for the big fights and doesn't back down. I seem to remember during WCQ we were navel-gazing about whether it'd be smarter to save guys for the 2nd game of the window where we'd get an easier W, but we came out and balled hard and beat Mexico.
akm91
AG
The bigger question is will Weston and Dest be fit enough to play against England?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.