USMNT 2021 Thread

74,673 Views | 1315 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

I"m really starting to think there's a requirement that at least one MLS player is on the pitch at all times.

I've been saying this for a long time.
PatAg
AG
Let's say there is this rule written out in a contract, though I think it's not likely.
The MLS is stupid for doing it. So many of the players that go to Europe developed initially in the MLS. That is just as good for publicity for the league, in my mind. There is no shame at all in being a league that sends younger players to the top 4-5 leagues in the world, and in fact should be something they continute to embrace. Some teams already have with their academies. Especially as long as there are laws/regulations that prevent our players from going to Europe before 18, unless they have a passport through parents/grandparents, MLS is going to be important. Even then, at 18 it's mostly Germany and some other countries, as England has even stricter work permit rules.

It will probably never happen due to the travel requirements as well as our season being offset from Europes, but I would love for the MLS to be able to send a team to the Europa League and eventually a team to the Champions League. (This scenario would also have Liga MX sending a team to both most likely)

The friendlies when the clubs come over aren't really enough, because the Euro teams are just in preseason mode, and at best just play 1 half with their top players. The MLS teams also no longer are taking it as seriously as they first did when the clubs started coming over for tours. Though there is something to say for the MLS players taking it to the younger versions of these top clubs, I guess. I'm sure some players have earned transfers or more in depth evaluations from European clubs from their performances.
JCRiley09
AG
So to watch the CBS/paramount+ matches going forward, do I need the top tier of that service or the lower tier?
PatAg
AG
JCRiley09 said:

So to watch the CBS/paramount+ matches going forward, do I need the top tier of that service or the lower tier?
Paramount + you can get on its own, and they have somewhat frequently ran half off deals for it.

CBS Sports Network is mostly available on the top tiers of whichever cable plan you have, which I don't care to pay for.

We need a viewing guide for all the games over the next couple years, to see what apps/services we need to buy, lol
I'm not personally a fan of watching on the Spanish language channels, but I will if I have to...though I guess most of them have added an alternative English broadcast you can enable, those broadcasters just usually suck
Aston94
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The different levels of their service are all about ads and whether or not you want to watch movies, for example, ad free. I have the lowest service and get all the soccer they offer.
JCRiley09
AG
Pretty sure Paramount+ has a $6 ads level and $10 no ads. Can we get WCQ with the $6 version?

To get EPL, I had to subscribe to the more expensive ad free for peacock
PatAg
AG
So we play a friendly against Costa Rica on Wednesday, and part of the idea of scheduling that game was to simulate playing 3 WCQ in the same time frame.
So in theory, that shouldn't mean an entirely new starting lineup. We'll see how that goes, I guess
Rudyjax
AG
I'd be shocked if Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, Adams, and Reyna played.

They're worth too much for a friendly.
tysker
AG
Musah didnt play versus Honduras or Mexico so I dont think he's cap-tied yet
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

He's capped tied. 4 friendlies = 1 competitive match. New rule.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/03/28/football/1616965711_557648.html
Aston94
AG
Thoughts on US Roster/Formation at this point:

1. Weston McKennie needs to be in the six position. He had so much influence on the game last night from that spot in the middle of the field. Tie him in there with Adams at the 5 position and we have a great midfield threat.

2. A 4-3-3 is not the best formation for our current roster. I like our formation last night more than the 4-3-3. With the 4-3-3 we just lose some of our advantage in midfield. Now it might be better if Adams was in there for a full game, but I prefer us having 2 central midfielders.

3. I love Tim Ream and all, what a great guy and love him being a leader, but if I ever see him isolated on a wing with quick strikers again I will throw a shoe at the tv. He can maybe play left central defender, but never ever as an outside defender again.

4. This kind of relates to points 1-2, but we have to do a better job getting the ball to Pulisic and letting him create. He had a bad game last night, but a lot of that is on Berhalter for not devising an offensive plan that gets him the ball in dangerous positions.

5. Gio Reyna is going to be special. As he develops he will help Pulisic tremendously.

6. I think Jordan Siebatcheu needs to start at central forward. He and Dike are the players we need in that role right now. I like Sargent, but he just does not have an impact on the game like Siebatcheu. Reyna, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, and Dest can all create, so we need a presence in the central position to take advantage of their creative opportunities.

7. Mark McKenzie is young and I think will be a good CD, but his footskills darn near did us in last night. I am not sure he is the right person for our current roster in that role. I am not sure who is, but might need to try out others.

8. Was great to see Yedlin back out there. He had a solid game, very strong defensively. Great to have him back as a solid option on the right side.

9. What to do at goal keeper? Horvath was great last night, what an awesome moment for him to save that pk. He is a good goalkeeper, but he has real issues playing out of the back with his feet. We are built for possession from the back so I don't think he can be the long term answer unless he gets much better with his feet. Steffan needs to go play this year, whether it be a signing or a loan, we must have him play regular minutes.

10. Lleget disappeared against stronger competition. I need to go back and rewatch the game, but I don't recall at any point last night him making a significant difference on the pitch. I don't think he can be in the starting Xi or even a critical sub for a WC contending team.

11. Acosta is absolutely a key contributor for this squad now. So versatile and played well last night. I like him off the bench as a sub.

12. Wish we would have gotten to see more of Musah on the pitch. Hopefully he plays a lot on Wednesday v. Costa Rica.

13. Sure Starters every time the ball is rolled out in a meaningful game: Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Brooks, Yedlin (?).

14. Spots available: Forward (Siebatcheu or Dike?), Left mid (Musah?), Central defender (?), keeper (hopefully Steffan, but he needs minutes, a lot of minutes).

15. Nice bench depth: Aaronson, Cannon, Robinson, Acosta, Sargent, Weah, Lleget.

16. Not ready for prime time: McKenzie, Yuiell, Ream, Miazga (?)

akm91
AG
I think a 4-3-3 if the midfield is Adams, Musah and McKennie would be pretty stout. However, we would need Sargent to help with the high press if we want to truly go with 4-3-3.

Would love to see Robinson develop his defending more so Dest would slide back to his preferred spot on the right.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Legal Custodian
AG
I understand his promise, but I just haven't seen it yet from Musah to pencil him into the starting lineup.
oh no
AG
Aston94 said:

Thoughts on US Roster/Formation at this point:

1. Weston McKennie needs to be in the six position. He had so much influence on the game last night from that spot in the middle of the field. Tie him in there with Adams at the 5 position and we have a great midfield threat. Weston was a BEAST last night and he might be the best American soccer player right now. That said, I think he's more of a #10 attacking central midfielder than a #6 holding/defensive central midfielder. I love how fearless that guy is attacking balls in the air, I love him going to goal. He's all over the field.

2. A 4-3-3 is not the best formation for our current roster. I like our formation last night more than the 4-3-3. With the 4-3-3 we just lose some of our advantage in midfield. Now it might be better if Adams was in there for a full game, but I prefer us having 2 central midfielders. Not sure I agree here. US didn't have four midfielders on the field. We had three center backs, Dest and Yedlin were essentially wing-backs. Weston and Kellyn were the only midfielders on the pitch for a long time if you think we have a big advantage with our MF.. and we had two wingers and a center forward. That should be considered a 5-2-3. Great tactical change idea to try to defend Mexico's speed outside on the wings and good to be able to get an attack-minded fullback like Dest going to goal more, but I'm afraid Dest and Yedlin were getting caught too high early, both got beat a few times, Brooks and Ream lack recovery speed, and Mackenzie is not ready technically. Miazga is probably a whole level better than Mackenzie right now, but Mackenzie has a bright future.

3. I love Tim Ream and all, what a great guy and love him being a leader, but if I ever see him isolated on a wing with quick strikers again I will throw a shoe at the tv. He can maybe play left central defender, but never ever as an outside defender again. Ream was playing left centerback. We had three CBs out there. He ain't it. Solid technically, but not enough closing / recovery speed in a match like that...and if Mexico had Jiminez at 9 and Lozano playing winger instead of false 9, that back line would have been exposed even more, IMO.

4. This kind of relates to points 1-2, but we have to do a better job getting the ball to Pulisic and letting him create. He had a bad game last night, but a lot of that is on Berhalter for not devising an offensive plan that gets him the ball in dangerous positions. Every team we face in concacaf is going to mark and target Pulisic. We need to play through him when possible, yes, but we're not going to be able to get him the ball with space going to goal where he can be creative and do it all himself. Others will need to step up and they did last night.

5. Gio Reyna is going to be special. As he develops he will help Pulisic tremendously.

6. I think Jordan Siebatcheu needs to start at central forward. He and Dike are the players we need in that role right now. I like Sargent, but he just does not have an impact on the game like Siebatcheu. Reyna, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, and Dest can all create, so we need a presence in the central position to take advantage of their creative opportunities. I think Gregg said it was tough to tell Dike he was excluded from the nations league games, but he will be there for the CRC friendly. I hope he impresses. Pefok was the hero on Thursday, but I actually thought Sargent was more dangerous more often than Pefok last night. We need more competition there, but last night did not convince me that Sargent is any worse, or less impactful, than Pefok.

7. Mark McKenzie is young and I think will be a good CD, but his footskills darn near did us in last night. I am not sure he is the right person for our current roster in that role. I am not sure who is, but might need to try out others. Mckenzie was getting baptized by fire last night. Saw some good and some bad. He'll be okay. Last night was important for him though.

8. Was great to see Yedlin back out there. He had a solid game, very strong defensively. Great to have him back as a solid option on the right side. Yedlin did dive in and get burned a few times early but settled in well.

9. What to do at goal keeper? Horvath was great last night, what an awesome moment for him to save that pk. He is a good goalkeeper, but he has real issues playing out of the back with his feet. We are built for possession from the back so I don't think he can be the long term answer unless he gets much better with his feet. Steffan needs to go play this year, whether it be a signing or a loan, we must have him play regular minutes. Zack makes me really nervous with his distribution too. I thought Ethan was fine last night in that regard.

10. Lleget disappeared against stronger competition. I need to go back and rewatch the game, but I don't recall at any point last night him making a significant difference on the pitch. I don't think he can be in the starting Xi or even a critical sub for a WC contending team.

11. Acosta is absolutely a key contributor for this squad now. So versatile and played well last night. I like him off the bench as a sub.

12. Wish we would have gotten to see more of Musah on the pitch. Hopefully he plays a lot on Wednesday v. Costa Rica.

13. Sure Starters every time the ball is rolled out in a meaningful game: Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Brooks, Yedlin (?).

14. Spots available: Forward (Siebatcheu or Dike?), Left mid (Musah?), Central defender (?), keeper (hopefully Steffan, but he needs minutes, a lot of minutes).

15. Nice bench depth: Aaronson, Cannon, Robinson, Acosta, Sargent, Weah, Lleget.

16. Not ready for prime time: McKenzie, Yuiell, Ream, Miazga (?)

added a couple thoughts in bold.
akm91
AG
This tweet made me laugh....

Quote:

We know we have the best fans in the world, and we're better than this.

Are they serious? Those fans have literally been throwing crap for decades now.....

akm91
AG
Thinking about the team a bit more and given the personnel we have, perhaps the formation we should employ is 4-2-3-1. Pulisic, playing in the middle of the field, seem to be more lively and have bigger impact on the game for USMNT. I penciled in Dike up top assuming he is at no worse than Sargent/Pefok but may be a combination of the strengths of the two.

Dest - Richards - Brooks - Robinson
----------McKennie - Adams
--------Reyna - Pulisic - Weah
---------------------Dike

Any thoughts on this?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Any good usmnt podcasts? My LFC and epl podcasts are a little stale without games. Figured some good content for the Gold Cup and WCQ this year.
Rudyjax
AG

tysker said:

He's capped tied. 4 friendlies = 1 competitive match. New rule.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/03/28/football/1616965711_557648.html

This was wrong. He is not cap tied. My apologies.
akm91
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Any good usmnt podcasts? My LFC and epl podcasts are a little stale without games. Figured some good content for the Gold Cup and WCQ this year.
I listen to Total Soccer Show (there are several different podcasts now under the TSS umbrella), Scuffed Podcast and ESPN FC podcasts for my soccer fix. MLS Extra Time's show this week was focused on the USA vs Mexico match.
Ferg
Walker Zimmerman called up for the Costa Rica match.
akm91
AG
Ferg said:

Walker Zimmerman called up for the Costa Rica match.
Miyazga is getting married this weekend and left training camp. Reynolds and Steffen out due to injuries; bone bruise and about out 10~14 days.

I'm guessing it'll be Zimmerman and Ream as CB's.
akm91
AG
Didn't know the US goalkeeper coach, Aaron Hyde, was on Tata's Atlanta United's staff for 2 years. Not surprising he was able to design some set pieces that exploited the Mexican defending.

Quote:

"Give Aaron Hyde a ton of credit for designing set pieces that we thought could hurt them," Berhalter said. "And not only that, also helping Ethan (Horvath) with the direction on the penalty shooter."

The former Chicago Fire and Atlanta United goalkeeper coach may have had just a bit of special insight into Mexico's plans. He spent two seasons as an assistant on Mexico head coach Tata Martino's coaching staff with Atlanta United during its first two seasons in MLS.
More analysis from USMNT vs Mexico
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Didn't know the US goalkeeper coach, Aaron Hyde, was on Tata's Atlanta United's staff for 2 years. Not surprising he was able to design some set pieces that exploited the Mexican defending.

Quote:

"Give Aaron Hyde a ton of credit for designing set pieces that we thought could hurt them," Berhalter said. "And not only that, also helping Ethan (Horvath) with the direction on the penalty shooter."

The former Chicago Fire and Atlanta United goalkeeper coach may have had just a bit of special insight into Mexico's plans. He spent two seasons as an assistant on Mexico head coach Tata Martino's coaching staff with Atlanta United during its first two seasons in MLS.
More analysis from USMNT vs Mexico
I thought it was crazy we had 2 goals off corners and almost a third. It makes more sense now.
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Thinking about the team a bit more and given the personnel we have, perhaps the formation we should employ is 4-2-3-1. Pulisic, playing in the middle of the field, seem to be more lively and have bigger impact on the game for USMNT. I penciled in Dike up top assuming he is at no worse than Sargent/Pefok but may be a combination of the strengths of the two.

Dest - Richards - Brooks - Robinson
----------McKennie - Adams
--------Reyna - Pulisic - Weah
---------------------Dike

Any thoughts on this?
Not sure about all the players in your formation, but the formation itself is what I am more interested in seeing, especially with regards to McKennie, Reyna, Adams and Pulisic. Weah and Dike are options at those two positions for sure.
akm91
AG
So you have Reyna, Weah, Pulisic, Aaronson, Morris (once healthy), Lleget for those 3 attacking mid positions which provides enough solid depth. Would be nice if Pomykal can stay healthy as he had shown in the past that he was on his way to be part of the USMNT.
KCup17
AG
Speaking of Pomykal, when is he supposed to be back?
akm91
AG
He's getting some minutes but not sure if he's starting yet. I saw him sub in when I attended the FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake match last month.

Took quick look on FC Dallas page and he's been a sub in all 7 matches averaging less than 30 minutes per appearance. The last match, he played 45 min.
KCup17
AG
Thats good to hear. Had some interest from Europe if I recall correctly before getting injured.
Rudyjax
AG
Unbelievable

txam92
AG
akm91 said:

He's getting some minutes but not sure if he's starting yet. I saw him sub in when I attended the FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake match last month.

Took quick look on FC Dallas page and he's been a sub in all 7 matches averaging less than 30 minutes per appearance. The last match, he played 45 min.
They're building him up to go a full 90. The anticipation is that he will start his first game right after the international break. Probably won't go 90 but it's another step forward. FCD needs him in the lineup desperately.
akm91
AG
That's pretty much what I figured they were doing. Thanks for the update!
Legal Custodian
AG
Dike's on the roster for today
Aston94
AG

Unbelievable

Terrible.

Twitter needs to be eradicated from our world.
Onceaggie2.0

Unbelievable

what is this in reference too? After Sundays game?
Rudyjax
AG
Onceaggie2.0 said:

Unbelievable

what is this in reference too? After Sundays game?
Apparently so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.