***Young Americans Soccer thread***

78,494 Views | 709 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by oh no
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've posted it on different threads, but thought a centralized thread may be useful. Thinking we can use it for homegrown US players signing MLS, or young Americans going abroad. Here's the first one.

Gio Reyna signs with the team that groomed Pulisic.

OregonAggie
AG
Great idea for a thread.
PatAg
AG
I Am Mine said:

We've posted it on different threads, but thought a centralized thread may be useful. Thinking we can use it for homegrown US players signing MLS, or young Americans going abroad. Here's the first one.

Gio Reyna signs with the team that groomed Pulisic.

he's definitely one to keep an eye on going forward
deadbq03
AG
Who qualifies as young? Anyone who hasn't gotten a senior level call-up?

You need to specify before I litter this thread with my innane Tyler Adams commentary.
akm91
AG
Weah signed with Lille so that's a good development.

McKennie re-upped with Schalke. Hopefully Wagner (new coach?) will allow McKennie to play in his best position only.

Going to be interesting to watch Pulisic's development with Lampard in charge.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
OregonAggie
AG
deadbq03 said:

You need to specify before I litter this thread with my innane Tyler Adams commentary.

I'll let I Am Mine set the parameters but I view a young player as being someone 23 or less.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'll say anyone that isn't on the senior team and eligible of the Olympics...

But young is in the eye of the beholder.
oh no
AG
a couple twitter accounts worth a follow to help keep up with this topic:

Future USMNT @FutureUsmnt
scuffed @zlebmada
The American Outlaws @AmericanOutlaws
USMNT Videos @USMNTvideos
Yanks Abroad @YanksAbroad

PatAg
AG
I think Adams would count, personally. Maybe not much longer though
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I think Adams would count, personally. Maybe not much longer though

No thread police here. Post about whatever you'd like.
PatAg
AG
Think u23 world cup qualifying is this fall, and it's technically in the international break. It's also in the middle of MLS playoffs so I wonder if those teams would let those players go.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91
AG
I don't see him getting regular minutes at Leverkusen nor Hertha. He needs regular minutes.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
TXAggie2011
AG
Leverkusen has moved to an aggressive 4-3-3 and their midfield is already crowded. I feel like that'd be a tough place to solidify a starting role.
Rudyjax
AG

US eligible. Also Denmark eligible. Born in Florida.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg
AG

interesting series of tweets with data about the minutes youth players are seeing, and trends you can see from it
fig96
AG
akm91 said:

I don't see him getting regular minutes at Leverkusen nor Hertha. He needs regular minutes.
I'm all for young attacking players getting experience in the Dutch first division.
OregonAggie
AG
fig96 said:

akm91 said:

I'm all for young attacking players getting experience in the Dutch first division.

I think that's the best destination for them with the Bundesliga right behind it.
Rudyjax
AG
Thoughts? I agree with him.

Agvet12
AG
They said the same thing about Freddy Adu.... the dude was only about himself and wasn't talented enough to pele his way through everyone (also the game is vastly different)

The ceilings may be high, but they need to learn to play the team game aspect and get regular minutes in Europe, in top leagues...

fig96
AG
I feel like you aren't familiar with where most of these guys are already playing...

Adu is also one player and kind of a terrible data point.
Rudyjax
AG
Agree with Fig. That's 1 player.

TXAggie2011
AG
Some of those guys probably won't live up to the hopes and expectations, ala Adu.

Or Jordan Green or whoever.

The exciting part is that there are enough of them that the odds are such that some will turn out to be pretty good players.
fig96
AG
Totally agree, but Pulisic alone has a real chance to be the greatest American soccer player we've ever seen.

If we have another 5 or 6 hit out of that list we've got a lineup on a totally different level than we've ever had.
OregonAggie
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Some of those guys probably won't live up to the hopes and expectations, ala Adu.

The exciting part is that there are enough of them that the odds are such that some will turn out to be pretty good players.

Agree with this 100%. The quality of player in the 17-20 year old range is quite high right now but they won't all pan out. The good news is that we have a ton of these kids and we don't need all of them to live up to their billing.

Fig brought up Pulisic and I'm probably going to be the outlier here. I really don't think he's going to be the dominant player every American soccer fan hopes he'll be. I think he'll always be a really good contributor on the USMNT and will play for a good club but I don't think he's ever going to be the guy that just takes over a game against great competition.

This country is so starved for a soccer Messiah that we keep anointing these young guys as the next savior and we've been wrong every time...this **** goes back to Jovan Kirovski when he signed with Man U.

I want him to be great but I personally just don't see it. If I'm wrong? I'll absolutely fess up to my incorrect prognostication. I really do hope I'm wrong.
Rudyjax
AG
Pulisic May or may not be the greatest American ever. That's fine.

The difference between now and Freddy Adus is we have 20-39 Freddy's.

Not all are going to pan out but if 25% do we're in great shape.
PatAg
AG
The difference is a lot of these young players have actually already accomplished things in their career Adu never did. We also aren't hoping one kid makes it, its a long list. One that gets larger every for every age group that comes up.
Rudyjax
AG

Love that these kids get to play in our highest level before they can legally sign in Europe.
Thunder18
AG
I Am Mine said:

I haven't seen anything from this guy that screams European quality. Hopefully he proves me wrong
Rudyjax
AG
Hmmm. What do you know that euro teams don't?
OregonAggie
AG
I Am Mine said:

He hasn't been that impressive in the games I've watched but he's also only 20.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

I Am Mine said:

He hasn't been that impressive in the games I've watched but he's also only 20.

I'm sure you know more than guys that are paid to evaluate talent.

(I'm totally kidding.)
AustinScubaAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Agree with this 100%. The quality of player in the 17-20 year old range is quite high right now but they won't all pan out. The good news is that we have a ton of these kids and we don't need all of them to live up to their billing.

Fig brought up Pulisic and I'm probably going to be the outlier here. I really don't think he's going to be the dominant player every American soccer fan hopes he'll be. I think he'll always be a really good contributor on the USMNT and will play for a good club but I don't think he's ever going to be the guy that just takes over a game against great competition.

This country is so starved for a soccer Messiah that we keep anointing these young guys as the next savior and we've been wrong every time...this **** goes back to Jovan Kirovski when he signed with Man U.

I want him to be great but I personally just don't see it. If I'm wrong? I'll absolutely fess up to my incorrect prognostication. I really do hope I'm wrong.
It will depend on the quality around him and if he gets hacked to death in CONCACAF games.
Rudyjax
AG
Well the good news is Pulisic has mastered the art of his legs stopping from moving after the gets contacted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.