Tottenham Hotspur 2017-2018 Thread

43,872 Views | 702 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I guarantee you wont. Book it.

Listen to Ollie.
t - cam
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

I guarantee you wont. Book it.

Listen to Ollie.

Do you troll everyone's threads or just ours?
datrixstunna
AG
Smith "visits" all the boards and is actually pretty damn funny.
Beau Bevers
AG
datrixstunna said:

Smith "visits" all the boards and is actually pretty damn funny.

Agreed. His trolling of the Gooners during NLD week is the stuff of legends.
byfLuger41
AG
I'm not trolling you or your thread.

Ollie is the man and a great source for Spurs info. Reading all the big clubs threads and the Spurs thread is how I stay current on my enemy EPL teams. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The reason for this most recent visit is your "we're gonna win the title. Book it." comment. It made me a giggle and as the current champion I felt compelled to reply. Is there a chance you guys might win the league, absolutely. Is it very likely? Negative.

You have all the tools on the pitch and a damn good coach in the technical area. You're just too much of an Arsenal 2.0 for your own good.

Rabble, rabble, rabble....big spending....rabble, rabble, rabble...FIFA fair play rules...rabble, rabble, rabble...we do things the right way.

If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always gotten.

May a leave you with a few suggestions:

• I read you thread. You've been officially warned.
  • Feel free to call me out if I too say something laughable.
  • Don't call a title win in July. You just jinxed yourself. I'm sorry Ollie.
  • Read this...

Warm Regards -

me
t - cam
AG
60, 74, 86.

Best players only now getting to their prime. Another year together. Outside of the Wembley factor is there any reason to believe this team regresses? Spurs are actually doing things differently. They are hanging on to their players and letting a core develope with players that have been together. Forget adding pieces, let the pieces you have gel. Everyone else is hoping their pieces fit. Spurs have no questions outside of depth.

You strike me as one of these spurs won't win the league because that's not what they do types.

Trophies are coming to North London, better hope you can replace your lost pieces.
gougler08
AG
t - cam said:

60, 74, 86.

Best players only now getting to their prime. Another year together. Outside of the Wembley factor is there any reason to believe this team regresses? Spurs are actually doing things differently. They are hanging on to their players and letting a core develope with players that have been together. Forget adding pieces, let the pieces you have gel. Everyone else is hoping their pieces fit. Spurs have no questions outside of depth.

You strike me as one of these spurs won't win the league because that's not what they do types.

Trophies are coming to North London, better hope you can replace your lost pieces.
They'll get better, but the competitors have strengthened significantly in the transfer window whereas Spurs has only lost a starting RB (at least that I've seen in terms of 1st team players, could be wrong here). I think that's what people are getting at
t - cam
AG
gougler08 said:

t - cam said:

60, 74, 86.

They'll get better, but the competitors have strengthened significantly in the transfer window whereas Spurs has only lost a starting RB (at least that I've seen in terms of 1st team players, could be wrong here). I think that's what people are getting at

That's fine, my point is that Spurs are trying to improve through experience. The more you play together the more you understand each other. Soccer is no different than any sport in that regard. By keeping all their top players together there should be improvement. Remember outside of Chelsea spurs had a large gap on the rest of the league. Has everyone else done enough to bridge that gap?
LondonOllie
Smith&Co1970 said:

I'm not trolling you or your thread.

Ollie is the man and a great source for Spurs info. Reading all the big clubs threads and the Spurs thread is how I stay current on my enemy EPL teams. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The reason for this most recent visit is your "we're gonna win the title. Book it." comment. It made me a giggle and as the current champion I felt compelled to reply. Is there a chance you guys might win the league, absolutely. Is it very likely? Negative.

You have all the tools on the pitch and a damn good coach in the technical area. You're just too much of an Arsenal 2.0 for your own good.

Rabble, rabble, rabble....big spending....rabble, rabble, rabble...FIFA fair play rules...rabble, rabble, rabble...we do things the right way.

If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always gotten.

May a leave you with a few suggestions:

• I read you thread. You've been officially warned.
  • Feel free to call me out if I too say something laughable.
  • Don't call a title win in July. You just jinxed yourself. I'm sorry Ollie.
  • Read this...

Warm Regards -

me

Smithy. Come now. Every fan should be thinking they can win the title, but I'm just cynical (a Brit & a Spurs fan)!
I take offense to us being an Arse 2.0. I enjoy your wind up's but don't cross the line and compare Spurs to the Goons, or I'll have to hunt you down like the despicable Chelsea fan that you are.

We will get there and I think we're going to strengthen in certain areas. We have to be more careful than most,(especially after splurging on a new stadium) and we've got a strict wage structure in place that means even if we could afford the transfer fee, we can't afford to buy world class players who are going to demand 180,000 + per week. If we did, we'd have to up every players wages on the team.

There lies the problem. The players we can afford without throwing around silly money, wouldn't necessarily improve our team. We have to do this smartly and yes I'll say it - not just buy our wins the way your horrible team and some of the others do.

We will get there soon, we 'might' challenge if we can avoid injuries, but I honestly don't see us winning the league this year. We will keep our soul for the time being though.

Smithy - just remember that I remember the good old days before corrupt Ruskies bought you championships and rich arabs bought wins for City.. I remember when you used to get between 12k (or there abouts), to somewhere in the low 20k for your attendances, and you were bang on average or worse. You've done well - good job! I can guarantee you that you could take almost any club and throw enough money at it, with resources, players, world class managers & you would see over time the same result. That's why it genuinely doesn't impress me and why I can promise you I'm not envious! I'll keep on supporting Spurs even if we don't win the EPL.

You can get smug with this lot, but not me Fella.

On a side note...I do like Smithy, despite his very poor taste in football clubs. Maybe he just needed quick clout around the head from his old man when he was younger to bring him to his senses?

Kind regards,

Me.

byfLuger41
AG
Quote:

Smithy. Come now. Every fan should be thinking they can win the title, but I'm just cynical (a Brit & a Spurs fan)!
I take offense to us being an Arse 2.0. I enjoy your wind up's but don't cross the line and compare Spurs to the Goons, or I'll have to hunt you down like the despicable Chelsea fan that you are.

We will get there and I think we're going to strengthen in certain areas. We have to be more careful than most,(especially after splurging on a new stadium) and we've got a strict wage structure in place that means even if we could afford the transfer fee, we can't afford to buy world class players who are going to demand 180,000 + per week. If we did, we'd have to up every players wages on the team.

There lies the problem. The players we can afford without throwing around silly money, wouldn't necessarily improve our team. We have to do this smartly and yes I'll say it - not just buy our wins the way your horrible team and some of the others do.

We will get there soon, we 'might' challenge if we can avoid injuries, but I honestly don't see us winning the league this year. We will keep our soul for the time being though.

Smithy - just remember that I remember the good old days before corrupt Ruskies bought you championships and rich arabs bought wins for City.. I remember when you used to get between 12k (or there abouts), to somewhere in the low 20k for your attendances, and you were bang on average or worse. You've done well - good job! I can guarantee you that you could take almost any club and throw enough money at it, with resources, players, world class managers & you would see over time the same result. That's why it genuinely doesn't impress me and why I can promise you I'm not envious! I'll keep on supporting Spurs even if we don't win the EPL.

You can get smug with this lot, but not me Fella.

On a side note...I do like Smithy, despite his very poor taste in football clubs. Maybe he just needed quick clout around the head from his old man when he was younger to bring him to his senses?

Kind regards,

Me.

I'm cynical and a Houston sports/Aggie fan; I get it. And FTR, I was calling t-cam an Arsenal 2.0 fan, not the entire Spurs fan base.

Buy your wins or not, anything is possible. Hell look at the Foxes! I just don't see it happening especially after all the big guys have been busting out their checkbooks.

Well, I applaud your ability to stay even keel, but if you keep doing the same thing you've always done you'll continually fall short and be disappointed when your players leave for greener pastures. For your sake I genuinely hope I'm wrong because I like you as an internet person. But I don't see that happening.

My contention lies with the "we're goona win the league. Book it." comment. I don't even think we're gonna win the league. Hell, I don't even think the Astros are gonna win the MLB. My BAS knows no boundaries.

But to echo what you said regarding Spurs, I honestly don't see y'all winning the league this year. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

In the mean time, I few swift kicks in the bollocks from an old bloke like you never did hurt anyone. After all, its men your age who dictate this world and I intend to follow...most of the time!

Cheers -

Smit

Post Script: I love you too, t-cam! COYS!

eld02
AG
LondonOllie said:

this.

t-cam - spurs' first 11 can go up against anyone in the league, but to have successful europe and domestic campaigns this year they need reinforcements at a few positions. given the way the other big clubs spend and for the reasons ollie laid out, it may not be realistic this season.
t - cam
AG
eld02 said:

LondonOllie said:

this.

t-cam - spurs' first 11 can go up against anyone in the league, but to have successful europe and domestic campaigns this year they need reinforcements at a few positions. given the way the other big clubs spend and for the reasons ollie laid out, it may not be realistic this season.

Depth is needed, I don't disagree and it will come. Not sure how last year's performance convinces everyone that though. We had a team that could have won the league. We will again this year. What else should we be hoping for as fans?

Not sure why everyone who isn't a spurs fan is on the Spurs thread trying to temper spurs enthusiasm.
I'm a positive sports fan who still believes Sumlin is the guy so I will remain confident till proven otherwise.
titanmaster_race
My college roommate works at Barclays in NYC, and some of the lads from WHL visited today to do a PR visit at the EPL sponsor since they were playing Roma in nearby New Jersey.

Even though he's a chelsea fan, he offered to get something signed for me. In a couple of weeks I will be in possession of a Spurs scarf signed by Dembele, Dier, Janssen, and Summer.
byfLuger41
AG
Quote:

Not sure why everyone who isn't a spurs fan is on the Spurs thread trying to temper spurs enthusiasm.

Your thread isn't a safe space dude and I've explained my criticism to the point where even your sensei Ollie agreed with me.

Chill.
byfLuger41
AG
titanmaster_race said:

My college roommate works at Barclays in NYC, and some of the lads from WHL visited today to do a PR visit at the EPL sponsor since they were playing Roma in nearby New Jersey.

Even though he's a chelsea fan, he offered to get something signed for me. In a couple of weeks I will be in possession of a Spurs scarf signed by Dembele, Dier, Janssen, and Summer.

Chelsea fans are actually good people!
titanmaster_race
Well that's just false.

But there are one or two good people who for some unknown reason decide to become Chelsea fans.
byfLuger41
AG
Touche
eld02
AG
assuming your comment about non-spurs fans was directed at smith - in case it wasn't, i am a spurs fan. love the enthusiasm but it is a fact that the other top clubs that spurs finished ahead of last season have strengthened (on paper). if they stay injury free then sky's the limit, but that can't be assumed and you need to look at our prospects realistically.

either way it should be a fun season but i think they are a player or two away from being able to repeat or improve upon last year's league result while having a respectable showing in the champions league. just not sure we will find the players we need at the price we can afford.
byfLuger41
AG
Just saw the highlights from y'alls match vs Roma.

Crazy final 10 minutes.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Frustrating game against City

They were way more physical and we didn't handle it well at all.
t - cam
AG
Ryno01 said:

Frustrating game against City

They were way more physical and we didn't handle it well at all.

Brutal, knowing these games don't matter I still can't believe how disinterested we looked. I have never been big on dier and have no idea why we wouldn't cash a 50mill check for him.

DeangeloVickers
AG
Amen on selling Dier.
DeangeloVickers
AG
It was nice to see Bale not very good in El Clasico
gcracker13
AG
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if there are concerns about how large the pitch is at Wembley, why don't they just re draw the lines? Maybe I'm missing something.
gougler08
AG
You guys look good today against a strong Juve side
eld02
AG
gcracker13 said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if there are concerns about how large the pitch is at Wembley, why don't they just re draw the lines? Maybe I'm missing something.

spurs requested to change the dimensions of the pitch but were denied by the premier league. they are trying to standardize pitch size and the only places that are granted exceptions are the older grounds (i.e. old WHL). the new WHL will have to adhere to the larger size standard when it's complete.

btw, spurs looking class today against juventus. scary moment with trippier. hopefully it's just a knock but it underscores the need to sign another right back. walker-peters is not ready for regular first team football.
eld02
AG
going back to the conversation about our prospects for the season and squad depth, here is a good article that lays out the issues and difficulties we potentially face this campaign:

link
DeangeloVickers
AG
FOr as bad as we looked stateside for the last two matches.....today was amazing....could of easily been 4-0 or more

Sissoko hit bar and Kane hit bar
t - cam
AG
Ryno01 said:

FOr as bad as we looked stateside for the last two matches.....today was amazing....could of easily been 4-0 or more

Sissoko hit bar and Kane hit bar

They got some bars as well but I agree we were clearly better today. Sissoko showed something as well. If we don't loan him out I'm fine with him being here for depth.

jay040
I saw on twitter that we should keep Sissoko for this season, as he'll be working hard to get playing time in order to make his World Cup squad. Then we can sell him afterwards. One of those funny because it's true statements.
seebond
AG
Just found this thread - been a spurs fan since 2011 or so
Very excited for the new season kicking off!

COYS and TTID
byfLuger41
AG
Join the EPL fantasy, puffs!
bobinator
AG
Wanted to check in before Sunday to say I'm here for another year of glory and/or heartbreak.

COYS!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Are we gonna add anything else?
t - cam
AG
We will add a fb. No doubt about that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.