Manchester United 2017-18 Thread

78,082 Views | 1468 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by datrixstunna
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well Atkinson tried. He spent a long time getting restarted after the Fernand foul, trying to take the air out of things a bit. Pogba just showed he's having none of that.
Mathguy64
AG
Please dear 8lb 5 oz blond haired blue eyed baby Jesus with the Kung Fu grip. I cannot sit here much longer. I do not want 6 minutes of stoppage time. I'm afraid that's what it will be. At least 5. Maybe 6.
ScottishFire
AG
mathguy86 said:

Please dear 8lb 5 oz blond haired blue eyed baby Jesus with the Kung Fu grip. I cannot sit here much longer. I do not want 6 minutes of stoppage time. I'm afraid that's what it will be. At least 5. Maybe 6.
You're taking one for the team, and we appreciate it.
jeffk
AG
DDG
Mathguy64
AG
Superman saves the day.
Mathguy64
AG
Atkinson isn't making friends but he is spot on.
gougler08
AG
I'm surprised nobody got a red card
Mathguy64
AG
I'm eating crow. The minute I get up. If I can get up.
ryan_m
I think we can all thank the guy who likes math for the win here today. He put himself on the line for the team.

Many thanks.
ScottishFire
AG
Now that is a derby win!
datrixstunna
AG
mathguy86 said:

Stalling giveth and Smalling taking away.

Both legs are numb.

Full credit for the win....
Mathguy64
Mathguy64
AG
Stupid fat fingers.

Pep talking to Pogba after the game. Love to have heard what he said.
ja86
AG
woohoo sounds like a good thing i missed the 1st half.
Thunder18
AG
Great come from behind win, we need THAT Pogba to show up every game
Dre_00
datrixstunna said:

Trash...trash...trash...Mou out. Pogba out. Smalling out.

This did not age well.

I was following on Twitter until right after Company's goal at which point I proceeded to drive 3 hours from San Diego to LA. I have to say, my favorite thing was catching up with Twitter and watching all the expert pundits trash Pogba and then remain shockingly silent when he and United turned it around. Most of us don't know a damn thing and that goes for your favorite writers and announcers too.

And I include myself in that group. I trashed Smalling at 1-0 and look what he went and did.

He's still garbage mind you.
ja86
AG
Smalling still needs to go. And we still need a right back.
datrixstunna
AG
I still think Mou needs to go. Smalling needs to go and Pogba is probably leaving as well.
Dre_00
Maybe but if Pogba leaves, I'll casually follow the team he goes to. Love that guy.
Mathguy64
AG
Yesterday was a tale of 2 Mou's. The one in the second that let his players be free and play their best soccer while managing a lead is a really good manager. The one in the first half that played defense first and got no one forward and got repeated raped by City scrubs is not a good manager. He's got the players to play the style of play from the second half and be a damn good team. If he can be a little less controlling.

And letting Pogba go would be a huge mistake. His fire and emotion is amazing. Witness the card he took yesterday. After the dust up Atkinson tried to take the air out and calm things down. Tempers flared because Alexis was fouled (and had been repeatedly) and no card was given. 30 seconds after the restart Pogba is chasing a player down from behind with everything he had and with bad intentions. He was sending Alexis a message and that message was "I got you bro".

Mou is a damn sight better than LVG. Moyes was a bust. Just a bad fit who had the bad luck to follow SAF. And you never want to follow the legend. You want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend.
Mathguy64
AG
14 points and a massive goal differential up on Chelsea with 6 to play. It's all but over. Top 4 and with all 4 guaranteed to be in CL group stage finishing 2 3 or 4 is just bragging. There is no real disadvantage to being 4th.
ryan_m
datrixstunna said:

I still think Mou needs to go. Smalling needs to go and Pogba is probably leaving as well.
Mou has proven you wrong time and time again. He's put down a solid argument to stay and I don't understand why you continue to complain. The argument that we aren't successful because he plays a different style of football than previous managers(SAF) is weak. I'd love to discuss ways to improve the team via buying and replacing players because that's a logical conversation.

Smalling is trash and its time for him to leave.

There is absolutely no way in hell Pogba leaves. He's player that the club is building around, and after the investment into him, they will try and hold on to him as long as possible. It would be incredibly foolish to let him go.
Aston94
AG
datrixstunna said:

Last year United finished in 6th with 69 points. This year with 6 matches to play the club sits on 71 points and in second place.

Last year's goal numbers: 54 GF 29GA +25
This years goal numbers: 63 GF 25GA +38

So the club has already surpassed last season's point total and goals scored, and is on pace to allow the same number of goals. Mou has opened up the team, and they have played well for the most part (Sevilla excluded).

I don't think Mou or Pogba are going anywhere. Pogba is a special talent, and the club would be crazy to sell him.

jeffk
AG
I think Wenger will be available soon.
Thunder18
AG
I think you are secretly a Man U fan Jeff
jeffk
AG
LOL, I probably don't hate y'all as much as I should.

I prefer you lose every game you ever play, but not in an angry way.
Mathguy64
AG
Looks like Conte is about to be on the market too. So between Conte, Wenger and Klopp we can pick and choose to either stay pat, downgrade, really downgrade or upgrade.
jeffk
AG
Y'all don't want my man JK - he's not enough of a winner for a club as historic as yours.
datrixstunna
AG

Quote:

The argument that we aren't successful because he plays a different style of football than previous managers(SAF) is weak
I have never argued that just his style is just different, Mou style is very negative. Last weekends game is a perfect example of that with a tale of two half. The first half was a team with a negative mentailty and a Mou mentality. The second half was a team that was 2 goals down that had to go for it. Mou had to release the team and had no choice but to let he team have freedom and play with a positive mindset.

That second half is what happens when the team has freedom and is positive. If Mou had let the players do that most of the season they would be in a much better position.
datrixstunna
AG

Quote:

Mou has opened up the team, and they have played well for the most part

I don't know what team you are watching but played well does not describe this team.
Aston94
AG
datrixstunna said:

Quote:

Mou has opened up the team, and they have played well for the most part

I don't know what team you are watching but played well does not describe this team.
I don't know what team you are watching, but stats for the season suggest otherwise. I think you may have an unrealistic level of expectation for a team putting all the new parts together that they have.

Give Pogba-Lukaku and Sanchez the rest of this season to work together and I think they have the parts to be really special.

Or you could just continue with your whining.
datrixstunna
AG
The stats you provide don't describe the whole picture and are relative year over year. You can call it whining or whatever you want but I will continue being realistic.
Aston94
AG
datrixstunna said:

The stats you provide don't describe the whole picture and are relative year over year. You can call it whining or whatever you want but I will continue being realistic.
You're right, going from 6th to 2nd in one season should be ignored.
Mathguy64
AG
The problem with Mou is he is stubborn. Partly with good reason. He has always won with a strong defensive line, a counter and a big back to the goal striker. He sometimes gets it into his mind that that is the only way to win. He has won his share of hardware playing that way, no doubt. Its a way, but not the only way. And it is not pretty to watch. There have been flashes this season of open play. The first 4-5 games were that way. The second half Saturday was certainly that way. But when push comes to shove, he reverts to defense, counter and slow. He needs to be more flexible.
datrixstunna
AG
There are no trophies for second place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.