Manchester United 2017-18 Thread

77,455 Views | 1468 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by datrixstunna
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
datrixstunna said:

There are no trophies for second place.
I know you are kidding, but I feel like fans of teams in general forget that there are opponents out there who also spend tons of money, have great coaches and want to win very badly as well.

City and Pep are a year ahead of United and Mou on their path. He has had his team in place for two years now and it shows in their play.

Last year Mou was defensive minded for sure, and I think with good reason. This season there have been flashes and spurts of what we all want to see, but Mou is a defense first coach, and always has been, so I think expecting someone with his background and success to change is not realistic.

But with that said, United are currently 4th in the EPL in goals scored, just one goal behind Tottenham and their "dynamic" offense. So it is all about perception. Not suprisingly City lead in goal scoring and Liverpool are second. But Liverpool went out and hired a coach who is a score and score again kind of coach. He has had some success, but not the kind of success the LFC fans want (although I am sure a CL trophy would make them happy this year).

Those demanding that Mou be replaced have not provided me with a better option. Who would you hire that you know would provide more success? I cannot think of a coach that is available who would guarantee 1st place in the EPL if 2nd in season 2 is not enough.
Aston94
AG
And for the record, the club has won their last 5 EPL games, with wins in that stretch over Chelsea, Liverpool and City. And over the last 5 games the club has averaged 2.4 goals per game. So the Sanchez purchase looks like it is starting to pay off.
Mathguy64
AG
#FreePogba
Thunder18
AG
Would like to see Rashford and Martial today at some point
Mathguy64
AG
I guess tripping in the area isn't a foul today.
Thunder18
AG
Herrera should've had a penalty
Mathguy64
AG
Pogba is definitely freed up and playing higher and in more space.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh hell. Pogba just went down in a heap with no one around.
Mathguy64
AG
Holy crap what a dirty play. Someone just swept Alexis' leg when he tried to take a quick restart.
datrixstunna
AG
Mou really has no concept of an attacking system. This is dire football. He gets away with it because it takes one players moment of brilliance to score a goal.
Mathguy64
AG
So much for #freepogba.
Mathguy64
AG
I hate Ben Foster.
datrixstunna
AG
mathguy86 said:

So much for #freepogba.

I'm glad he is off. He was horrible.
datrixstunna
AG
Mou deserves this, weak hands deserve to lose.
Mathguy64
AG
If you thought WBA were behind the ball before it's realky going to be bad now.
datrixstunna
AG
Death by a 1000 **** crosses.
Mathguy64
AG
Lukaku was bull dogged. Wow.
Dre_00
God this team is frustrating.
Thunder18
AG
Beat top team away, then lose to bottom team at home. Pathetic showing today, just trash
Mathguy64
AG
I will say it. This is the worst loss since SAF retired. At home, to a squad that is not only getting relegated but to a squad that has one win in 31 games. And a loss to hand the trophy to City.
datrixstunna
AG
Trash. Just trash. Don't know anyone if you can still support Jose. Park the bus is his only tactic and skill. No offense unity.
Dre_00
The inconsistency in play, intensity, desire, focus, and mentality is just extraordinary.
datrixstunna
AG
Dre_00 said:

The inconsistency in play, intensity, desire, focus, and mentality is just extraordinary.

That is all on Jose.
Dre_00
It's not all his fault. Players have to be held accountable when they clearly under perform. You can blame his tactics but they don't even execute his tactics correctly. And they clearly didn't give a **** out there.
Mathguy64
AG
datrixstunna said:

Dre_00 said:

That is all on Jose.

Don't kid yourself. It's on the entire organization. Jose no doubt. But he's not alone. The rest of the coaches who are being paid to do things like make sure players are ready and motivated. And it's on the players. Who have to give a ***** And it looked like they didn't care either.
ja86
AG
Glad I missed this one. All the drama last week just to be the ones that give the trophy to city afterall.
ja86
AG
nothing like streaming the game while pretending to work...

Mathguy64
AG
Streaming and grading at the same time. I can multitask. I swear.
Mathguy64
AG
Its fun to watch Pogba and Lukaku when they are free and running.
Mathguy64
AG
Daley Blind gets his first PT in 4 plus months and promptly whiffs on an open and clear shot from 10 yds out. Nice.
ja86
AG
Luke Shaw saw action too. He promptly got beat and mugged someone in the penalty box but luckily it wasn't called.

several bench players saw action today.
Dre_00
3 points in a rather blah performance. If Shaw gets called for that penalty (which was a horribly missed call by the refs), then who knows how the game ends. This team hasn't looked properly motivated since Sevilla. They've known for weeks (long before Sevilla) that they weren't going to catch City. And they've known for a few weeks that they were almost assured of finishing in the top 4. Outside of the 2nd half against City, they haven't looked like a team that gave a crap. It'll be interesting to see if the FA Cup motivates them. They seem to just kind of be going through the motions, wishing the season would end.
Mathguy64
AG
There were glimpses. The second goal for example. A long counter by Pogba and Lukaku both at full speed. There might have been a second but PP was taken down from behind. It does take 2 to tango and Bournemouth was willing to allow that by pressing forward. Thats where you see the best in the team, when the other squad is willing to play. The worst comes out when the other team just bogs it down and puts 10 behind the ball.
Dre_00
Yeah, there are glimpses but it's a little disconcerting that the team only looks good on the counter attack. They need to bring that speed of play and skill when they have the ball for long spells too. I guess my point is that it'll be interesting to see what kind of performances we get for the rest of the season. I'm not terribly optimistic. Either way, it's going to be a crucial off-season. I think Jose will be on a relatively short least next season. Languid performances and well off the pace for 1st by December and I could conceivably see a change made if there are some national team coaches available after the World Cup.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. Year 3 of the typical Jose reign does not go well. If he cans the team physio in October look out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.