Recruiting Update

361,353 Views | 1066 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Offside
Giggem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Added Dumond to the 2020 class. You can watch her highlights via the links on her profile. She has some good stopper instincts but not much is known about her.
Thank you for your consistent work over the years on recruiting updates, Hidden.
mullokmotx
AG
I was looking at Top Drawer Soccer and it shows a commitment from Jordyn Gunnarson, a 2021 goalkeeper from FC Dallas.
mullokmotx
AG
Coach G put out a #YESSIR tweet on April 16 with a California flag. Must be a current high school junior since he can't even contact current sophomores until June. Nothing on Top Drawer Soccer. Top Drawer Soccer had Jordyn Gunnarson with 4 stars.
HiddenAg2
I've added the commitment of Jordyn Gunnarson to the 2021 class. She is a solid 4 star prospect at a need position on the roster.

TDS also just released their initial team rankings for 2021 and as expected Texas is far and away #1 with 4 of the Top 10 prospects in the country. That is just incredible for a program with no real history in the sport. They took the very early commitments of No.1 Missimo and No. 2 Byars (in 8th grade and today is no longer allowed until Junior summer) and then added to it with No.9 Fung and No.10 Cox. A&M has never even signed 3 Top 15 prospects in a single class.

But even more concerning is that TCU has a Top 10 class and both Baylor and Texas Tech also outrecruited A&M in the state of Texas for the cycle. Finishing 5th in the state is not something that can become a pattern going forward if A&M is going to stay on the national stage.
mullokmotx
AG
Now we know who G was referring to in his #YESSIR tweet on April 16 with the signing of Jai Smith, a transfer from Seton Hall. She will be a sophomore this fall. Looks like she is from the bay area in California.
Hidden, thanks for your observation on the 2021 class. Top Drawer Soccer has only 8 players in the country rated at 5-Star for 2021. I'm not sure what surprises me more, that 2 are from the state or that 2 are going to tu. 2 5-Stars going to the same school seems to only happen with UNC, Stanford or UCLA.
redd38
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Info on Yoo ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
alamoaggie64
AG
Yoo comes from Lake Travis. Signed with Indiana in 2019 but did not play because of a coaching change. She will be a redshirt freshman Forward for A&M.
alamoaggie64
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
mullokmotx
AG
Natalie Yoo's Lake Travis team lost to Southlake Carroll in the state semifinals in 2019 and Barbara Olivieri's Katy Tompkins team lost to Carroll in the championship game the next day.
Diego
AG
June 15th is the day college coaches can begin to make contact with kids who have just completed their sophomore year in high school.
redd38
AG
mullokmotx
AG
G had put out a #YESSIR earlier in the week so Mia Pante must have been was the player that was about. I guess Monday was the first time G could talk to the 6 2021 players who had previously committed in over a year.
HiddenAg2
Added Mia Pante to the class.
blake2003
AG
Re-upping this thread since it is NSD for soccer.
CDub06
AG
Looks like there were no surprises.

How are scholarships impacted by this season not counting toward eligibility? Seems like we'd be short scholarships next season if our seniors play again.
Andyzipp
AG
Shout out for my high school and a future Aggie!

https://instagr.am/p/CHdoEOWHVdu
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie Soccer Twitter had a retweet showing a commitment from Sydney Becerra. Looks like she is a high school junior and plays for the Solar Soccer Club. Top Drawer Soccer has her as a 4 star midfielder. New signee Makhiya McDonald also plays for the Solar Soccer club.
Rudyjax
AG
mullokmotx said:

Aggie Soccer Twitter had a retweet showing a commitment from Sydney Becerra. Looks like she is a high school junior and plays for the Solar Soccer Club. Top Drawer Soccer has her as a 4 star midfielder. New signee Makhiya McDonald also plays for the Solar Soccer club.

Flo Mo!!

TRM
AG
Olivia Fetzer joins the Class of 2021.

https://12thman.com/news/2021/5/25/soccer-aggies-add-west-coast-star-for-2021-campaign.aspx
CDub06
AG
Yoohoo HiddenAg. You got some catching up to do.
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie Commit Sydney Becerra just named 2020-2021 Texas Gatorade Player of the Year. Barbara Olivieri won the award in 2018-2019.
HiddenAg2
Finally did an extensive update of the 2021 and 2022 classes with additions (Becerra) and subtractions (looks like Sanogo decommitted this past Spring).

I finally had some time to watch some evals and tape on several kids and all I can say is get ready for the Mia Pante show this season. I mean wow, what a prospect. If she played at Solar SC or similar top club in the US she would be a top 10 recruit in the nation and thus I believe she is a 5-star prospect. She starts on the Canada National Team in her age group. She is next level skill with possession, poise on the ball and elite passing into space. I noticed that Coach G spoke about her as well recently and said she is a phenomenal talent. I agree. She is a very similar player to Lopez out of the back but even more advanced at the same age, which means she is one of the best prospects to ever come into the program.

I expect Makhiya to eventually start this season but maybe not in Week 1. The other prospect that really impressed me was Carissa Boeckmann. She is just relentless in the middle of the field and controls the ball much like Harvey did for years at A&M. She is also a very good passer and has a high soccer IQ. Coach G got in on her early before she blew up nationally and probably the steal of this class. I think Gunnarson will eventually win the GK spot this season because she is a special talent at GK and has really quick reflexes for her size. Abel is better than I thought and Hayes is just a solid goal scorer, so they will be solid players in the future.

For 2022, Becerra (Gatorade Player of the Year in Texas) has recently risen in national circles and for good reason. She is really good with the ball at her feet and can really control the tempo, but her main skill is elite level touch on her passes forward. This is very hard to teach and she can bring a lot of players into the game because of it. She is going to be a good one for us in the future. And when you team her with Georgia Leb in the middle, we are set in the midfield for years to come since they built a rapport as teammates on Solar SC. Starting in the '22 season, Coach G will have the best set of midfield talent in at least 15 years. I don't know why Calzada continues to get overlooked nationally because she is a mainstay on US National Teams. She is tall and athletic and is a very good defender. Caroline Kniffen is one of the better crossing midfielders/forwards in her class, so I think she'll play at outside mid at A&M.

The 2023 cycle is in full swing so I'd expect we'll see some more commitments soon.

When I started looking at the 2022 and 2023 potential rosters, the talent level has been significantly upgraded and I think Coach G will have enough talent to finally overcome the Elite 8 hurdle. But of course this assumes no major injuries, transfers, or development issues, etc. We will have 4 and 5 star talent at every position on the field, so that is exciting for sure. And of course this coming '21 season is gong to be a good one considering the returning players and a freshmen class that is much better than originally thought.
coloradoag69
AG
Thanks to HIdden and all the other contributors to Ag Soccer recruiting for those of us who love the information but are otherwise ignorant.
CDub06
AG
Thanks for your insight! If you're excited, I'm excited!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
HiddenAg2
I think the schedule speaks volumes as to what the coaches think about this team. We haven't had a schedule this difficult since the Groom/Monogue/Streight years. The exciting part is that we will only get better over the new few years, so this really is shaping up to be maybe Coach G's best run at A&M.

Just a year ago I was pretty concerned about where recruiting was headed and seeing programs like Texas and TCU on the rise, but since that time we've added some big commitments and also more evals have come out on the 2021 class which now show this group was much better than I thought originally, especially Pante.
mullokmotx
AG
On the Aggie Soccer Hour radio show tonight G said that all of the players who sign next month will be enrolling in January. He also said that several of this year's freshmen decided not to enroll in January when they found out they would not be able to play last spring. The player guests tonight were Maile Hayes and Mia Pante so that prompted a discussion about enrolling in January, which both of those players did.
HiddenAg2
HiddenAg2 said:

I think the schedule speaks volumes as to what the coaches think about this team. We haven't had a schedule this difficult since the Groom/Monogue/Streight years. The exciting part is that we will only get better over the new few years, so this really is shaping up to be maybe Coach G's best run at A&M.

Just a year ago I was pretty concerned about where recruiting was headed and seeing programs like Texas and TCU on the rise, but since that time we've added some big commitments and also more evals have come out on the 2021 class which now show this group was much better than I thought originally, especially Pante.
This is not aging well. And my earlier post about some of my glowing Summer evals are not looking good either. I've made a note to myself to stay level headed when it comes to recruiting and evals because you never know how they will translate to the collegiate level. This is one time when the TDS rankings and evals were pretty accurate, outside of maybe two players (Hayes, McDonald). I apologize to the Aggie soccer community for being way off target with this 2021 freshmen class, which has had significant misses for the coaching staff.
taylorswift13
AG
Appreciate your insight and passion! No need to apologize whatsoever! Keep doing what you're doing, us average fans appreciate and look forward to it! Evaluations and predictions are nearly impossible, even the people who get paid to do them are wrong more often than not! But enthusiasm and passion make up for it!
mikeiah
AG
I really think you cannot judge the record and collectively team play due to all the injuries this year. They are still a talented and young group and they will get there. Some growing pains this year but love your passion and insight.
TRM
AG

Gap
AG
We received a commitment today out of Florida.

mullokmotx
AG
Adysen Armenta and Grace Ivey are Class of 2023 (current HS juniors). Armenta is from Klein and is rated 2-stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Ivey was the Jacksonville area Player of the Year as a sophomore and is rated 4-star by Top Drawer Soccer. I don't recall us ever getting a player from Florida before.
Today is signing day so there should be a formal announcement on 12thman.com later in the day.
CDub06
AG
mullokmotx said:

I don't recall us ever getting a player from Florida before.
I think you're right... this might be a first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.