Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jaxson, score one for Poppa

33,763 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by frog_killer
gmf_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
good story. really happy jaxson got to do that.
chick79
Kenner
AG
WOW!
ak_00
OKG2000
AG
After the game, as I was jumping down from the first deck to the field Jaxson, Reggie and some other players came to the 12th man and were thanking everyone for stayin and cheering...With Jaxson leading the way, I must say that this group of seniors is special in my eyes, they have been through coaching changes, tough seasons, big wins and who knows what else. I wouldnt trade them for anyone else!

Gig'em
neomoon
PrescottGroup
brings tears to my eyes
Sandman23
AG
Good Bull!

Gig'Em and God Bless Jaxson!!

-------
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
AAA-AAA-AAA-WHOOOOOP!!

BTHO TEXAS STATE!!!
TXAg04
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 63 vote in support of this message.
Blake Lowe
i wanted to thank all who have responded to this article. Jaxson is my nephew and it is my Dad (Ralph Lowe) whom he honored with his touchdown. to be able to celebrate my Dad's birthday seven years after his passing is something special. my Dad's favorite saying was "Pass it on" and it means so much to all the family for the spirit of Ralph Lowe and the spirit of Aggieland to be forever linked on this special occasion. Many Thanks--Blake Lowe
Geriatric Punk
AG
nice
QBCade
AG
wow. just wow.
McInnis 03
AG
Pure class.

Photo of Jaxson: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/09-18-2005.ns_18smu2.GCN1MNLID.1.jpg

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 9/20/2005 10:28a).]
rcb05
AG
An hour after I first read this thread and I'm still getting chills and teary-eyed.
Decay
AG
Blake, thanks for posting. At first I was apprehensive about telling your family's story to a bunch of internet strangers, but in the end it was told in the stands of Kyle and there are no strangers in an Aggie forum. I know my roommates and I were speechless when we heard it. Hope I told it okay.
Guppy
AW 1880
AG
This needs to be published. It's an amazing story.
agteach
S
I, like my brother, want to thank you all for what you have written. For years I have read on Texags some pretty bad things written about Jaxson. It was hard on this mother's heart but I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and if I can't take criticism then I need to quit reading it. But today has made up for all those times I wanted to gouge out all the eyes of every poster that said my boy wasn't fast enough, or couldn't cover and so on. Thank you for what you have given me today, thank you for what you have given my mother. The story started in little league when Jaxson was playing fullback. Instead of saying good luck I would say “score on for me”. He would score, but one day after a game I asked him which one was for me. He had scored several times and I wasn't sure which one I got. He was 11. He said “I tell you what, mom, the next time I score and it is for you I will pat my head.” He scored on the first drive of the next game and he patted his head, he scored later on in the quarter and he patted his head and to this day he pats his head whenever he scores. He's done it every touchdown of his football career except one. That was on Sept. 17, 1998, his junior year in high school. My father had just died and I was very distraught. I cried and cried all day, they finally sent me home from work. That night I was still crying, it was my father’s birthday tomorrow and for the first time he would not be here to celebrate with me. Jaxson came up to me and he said “I can't stand to see you like this what can I do?” I told him there is nothing you can do. He was adamant that he had to do something. I told him him, tomorrow is Poppa's birthday instead of scoring one for me score one for Poppa. He took the opening kickoff 102 yards, knelt down in the end zone and said "Happy Birthday, Poppa, this one is for you. I know it isn’t much of a gift but it is all I have to give." The whole team followed suit, knelt down in the end zone and said Happy Birthday to my dad. Sat. Sept 17, 2005 my mother calls me 45 minutes before game time. "Can Jaxson score one for Poppa on his birthday?” How am I going to pull this one off, he's in the locker room, he doesn't remember it's Dad's birthday, it's been 7 years, how am I going to tell him? And guess what mom, he plays Defense!!! I don't tell her this I just say O.K. I wait 45 minutes in front of the locker room praying that out of 135 players number 19 will pass by me. We make eye contact the second he comes out of the door. What are the chances of that? I have about 5 seconds to tell him of his 85-year-old grandmother's request. I start running with them to the field. I yell over the crowd, “today is Poppa's birthday, Mimi ask to score one for Poppa.” As he runs away I yell “Ah la junior year”. He gives me thumbs up and yells back, I love you mom.
And I'll be damn if the kid didn't do it. Picked up that blocked punt, ran to the end zone, knelt down in the end zone pointed straight to the sky and said "Happy Birthday Poppa, this one’s for you, I know it's not much of a present but it's all I have to give."
To all my brothers and sister, to all my nieces and nephews, to my most beloved mother, Poppa is doing just fine in heaven because surely he had a hand in this one.
Shana Lowe Appel

P.S. To whoever took the picture, can I have a copy to give to my mother?
Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. Who would have thought when the kid was 9 years old and said he was going to play for the finest school in the country with the finest people in the he world he actually knew what he was talking about.

wreckncrew
AG
Thanks for the story. Very moving.

Jaxson has always been one of my favorite players. This just cements it.
MaroonMachine
Here, here! Great story! Blessings for the Appel family.

I am an Aggie, an Aggie is me, I'm true Maroon, from my head to my feet!

BTHO...EVERYONE!!!!
Cotton79
AG
Oh, now you've done it, Mom. I'm gushing tears, but I don't want to stop. A very special story, indeed.

Gig'em, Aggies!
and
Gig'em, Poppa!!

[This message has been edited by Cotton79 (edited 9/19/2005 1:14p).]
Jason_Ag98
AG
What a story!
zebros_95
AG
Incredible story, thanks for sharing!
79AG
Thank you Jaxson, and Mrs. Appel for sharing that very personal, and moving story with the Aggie family. You are indeed the epitome of Aggie Spirit, and words can't describe how proud I am at this moment. Weepy eyed, but bursting with pride. God bless "Poppa" and belated Happy Birthday from the 12th Man !!!
Ellis Wyatt
From a "sip"
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
agteach, thanks for posting. Truly inspriational!

Gig 'em,
FTA

"Will incoming Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione be worth the money? Take it to the bank, Aggies fans. And be very afraid, Orangebloods and members of the Sooner Nation." — Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
meteorag06
AG
Mom you just put me over the top there. I've heard Jaxon was a good guy from people that have hung out with him, but this just makes it fact.

Man i love being an Aggie.

Gig em Ags
Gig em Poppa
XhotXwetXgarlic
AG
Thanks Appel family for sharing this truly awesome story!

Gig 'Em!!
The Takeover
Thanks for sharing, great story! Makes me proud to be an Aggie!
McInnis 03
AG
Again, nothing but class. We're all proud of your boy too mom.
CDUB98
AG
Thanks for sharing. Great story. Good bull.
Ag in tu land
AG
Two words....

Chill Bumps
howdydamnit04
AG

another screenshot
MW03
AG
thanks.
WC87

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.