Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Tech is a more desirable coaching job than A&M...

29,113 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seersucker Ag 2011
TAMU98AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are those green things by the tceh stadium cacti or palm trees?
aeon-ag
tech is a more desirable coahing job than a&m, huh! great, let who ever wants to coach go there, tickles h@ll out of me. by the way, whats the tech undergrad doing here?
rwilson
The Tech undergrad was at the Tech Rec Center, as was I. I'm in Law School here.
FTACO2007
I did the road trip to our game in Lubbock my freshman year. As we drove by Jones (I didn't know it at the time) I made the remark "That's a big stadium for a school district to have." At that point I was informed of the fact that what I was looking at WAS tceh's stadium. I started laughing. Anyone who has been there knows what I am talking about. That model picture doesn't due justice to how crappy it is. Big for a school district yes, but pathetic in comparison to Kyle or DKR.

[This message has been edited by FTACO2007 (edited 3/8/2005 12:12p).]
GoAgs92
AG
I knew that was coming...at least it wasn't in the first post...j/k rw.

quote:
I'm in Law School here
Aggie_Fanatic
AG
Just chalk this up to more proof the techies have lower iqs than the norm. Only an idiot would think this. And since we are talking about a techie I guess the term idiot applies.
Bad_Putter
As a Texas fan, I view the A&M job as a top-10 job in America. Whether A&M is a top-10 program or not depends on A&M but the job is a top-10 job.
WestTxAg06
AG
I really do not see how a logically reasoning human could make an assumption such as this, even if you wanted to transplant tu's record over the last couple of years to Lubbock and compare it to our recent record. However, being that this was an undergraduate at Tech making the statement, the logical reasoning can be thrown out the window into the blowing sand and tortillas.
Ding 72
Yea,if you're blind, dumb, and stupid.
RPTS_AG_07
A&M is a top Ten job now! If we start winning 9+ games a year consistently A&M will be a top 5 job, facilities, money, history of the program and the state of Texas to recruit in, this is and will always be one of the top jobs in America.
WestTxAg06
AG
Let me make an addendum to my thoughts here, if we were to argue the point with the raiders. There is really no possible way that their football job could be considered as prestigious as ours. For better or worse, long-standing school traditions equate into a large chunk of that prestige. Hence the reasoning for Notre Dame always being a high-profile job. This, of course, excepts the cases of Ivy League schools, military academies, etc. who once did, but do not compete (by choice or the dynamic nature of D-1 football) as national powers anymore.

Therefore, let's look at history--the FIRST public school in the state, founded in 1876 vs. what was essentially founded in 1923 as a second-tier university to bring up the rear behind us and the boys at the forty acres.

If you want, we can also compare championships. One outright national championship (and awarded by at least one system in two other years), 19 conference titles, 13 bowl wins and a Heisman trophy winner vs. nothing remotely close to a national championship, two conference co-titles, and of course, no Heismans.

Interestingly enough, our athletic history has a prominent link on our website, while I couldn't even find this data on Tech's website. I won't even get into our traditions, while Tech attempts to consider the following to be their traditions:
--A to Z (they thought of stuff for each letter about the school...their artificial turf and their first televised game are on there, I am not kidding)
--their band (maybe a halfway pass, as the FTAB is a tradition as well, although its like comparing t-ball to the New York Yankees)
--their Spirit Squad (no comment)
--the Masked Rider (maybe their one true tradition)
--their Hall of Honor (could be, although we don't consider our Hall of Honor to be one)
--their football, basketball, and baseball stadiums (are you kidding?? Kyle isn't even labeled as one of our traditions and its the #1 football stadium in America)

This conversation is really ridiculous, and I don't even know why I spent so much time comparing the prestige of the two football programs and jobs. I just had to let it out, I suppose.
FTACO2007
The Masked Rider..... is a WOMAN. HAHAHAHAHA!
FTACO2007
Everyone knows about how that horse crashed itself into the wall and died. That could be a tceh tradition, self destruction --- just like how they tear the bleachers out of their crap HS stadium and pass them around the crowd. Such smart kids.
aggiebird02
Aggie g15 <---- the type of aggie to hisssss other aggies
Maybe you should sitdown instead of the busdriver!

[This message has been edited by aggiebird02 (edited 3/8/2005 2:57p).]
Aston94
AG
Just ask yourself:

Would someone ever voluntarily leave a head coaching job at Alabama for tech?

The answer is clearly no, end of discussion.
suture_scissors
AG
quote:
Aggie g15 <---- the type of aggie to hisssss other aggies
Maybe you should sitdown instead of the busdriver!

That's cute, really, but try adding something to the conversation instead of just saying "FARMERS FARMERS WE'RE ALL RIGHT" etc.
aggiebird02
If you don't like them don't read them when you see my name next to them.
That's what I'm going to do with your posts from now on.
WestTxAg06
AG
Aston94,

Your short statement easily explains this entire debate better than my excessive verbosity or any other ramblings. I think you could count on one hand the list of schools that could lure a man from the sidelines that Bear Bryant stalked for so many years.
AgDog02
AG
If I were a coach all thing being equal, I would take the A&M job then again I hate tu more than most. Hell, I'd take a pay cut to take the A&M job. If I was an unbiased guy though I'd probably look long and hard at both jobs before I could make a decision. The A&M program is on the rise and has some very good young players, however the tu program is still a very solid top 10 - top 5. They have slid a little in recruiting the past few years losing out on some top guys to OU and us, but still get some of the best in the state. It is really a tough comparison anyone who thinks other wise is fooling himself or herself. As to the original topic of this thread, tceh couldn’t afford postage how can they afford a good coach.

AgDog
Hell Bent Canine
All or None
FIDO
AggieKiddieMD
AG
In football I don't see how it's a contest.

In men's basketball he may have a case. Prior to all the love BG has gotten us he'd probably be right. But after this season I think we may win out there too just based on facilities and such.

In women's BB they may be the better job to most people.

In tennis, track, baseball, softball, basically anything else (that I can think of) I would objectively have to say that Tech would be considered well below us in most coach's eyes.

-Rob
Austin_Aggie_13
quote:

how in the hell can you make that gauarantee? you may be trying to look at it objectively but you are still making the statement and therefore your own bias come through. just in the same way as it would if i said "I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas A&M job. unless, of course, you have a scientifically gathered survey.

The A&M job is great and increasingly better job, but it's pretty widely accepted that Texas is thought of as a top 3 or 4 job in general. OU is thought of a the top _program_ at the moment along with USC, but OU is not usually considered one of the best jobs. So it really doesn't matter. You just have to be managed by smart people.

Here's a survey from a few years back on the best coaching gigs in America. With Byrne as AD we would no doubt show up pretty well in a current survey. The sample size isn't quite big enough (26 coaches), but it does confirm what should be pretty clear to most people if you can put aside your own biases---Florida and Texas are about the two best jobs for the all around combo of resources, facilities, fan base, location, tradition, and so on.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/spurrier/floridajob.html
proudaggie02
AG
Terry Tate,
was the UT coaching job more attractive in the 90s after A&M beat the sips 10 out of 11 years?
Goose06
AG
the lack of any raiders over here to refute this is telling...
terata
AG
quote:
as soon as some moderate school come knocking from any other major conference, leach is gone.

the tceh job is why leach stays drunk at all times, it helps fog the undesirability of the job and location.
houstontexan
ut gets more national attention and has austin. a&m is still lacking in facilities but is catching up.
houstontexan
jock, you should talk to baylor fans....they think they're stanford's equivalent with overall AD performance.
thebloomer
AG
Knight practically begged for the OSU job and they didn't want him.

Mike Leach's name comes up for every major conference/minor program job opening out, i.e. Arizona.

Tech has one of the best women's BBall programs in the country. Yahoo.
Marathon
quote:
we have the best facilities in the nation

Bocephus is exactly right. That seals the argument.
sentimental ag
A&M is the btter job no doubt.

I'm curious though, how many Ags know we tried to hire their track coach and he wouldn't leave. How many Ags know before we hired Johnny Barr, we offered another member of their staff and he wouldn't leave either.

As I said, Hays, Sharp and Dickey wouldn't leave after some success as well.

I think this thread symbolizes nicely the nature of our problems with them. We underestimate them.
rwilson
No we don't. I go to school here, and how any reasonable person would stay here over going to College Station with unlimited resources is completely ridiculous.
sentimental ag
rwilson, well, in your and my mind perhaps yes. We're not exactly unbiased though--lol.

But anyone close to the athletic dept. will tell you what I've said above is true.

[This message has been edited by sentimental ag (edited 3/9/2005 5:39p).]
rwilson
Well, we sure ended up doing better with the coaches we did get.
sentimental ag
and I'm sure glad of that, though they weren't the ones we went after first go-round.

But in regard to the discussion about tt coaches leaving when they get a chance, the information is of some relevance.
Objective Texasguy
The comment by the techster is very silly. ATM is clearly the better football job. I would say ATM is anywhere from 7th-15th in best jobs in the country.

Tech is probably 25th-35th. Apples and Oranges.

I will say in my biased Texas opinion, that Texas is clearly top 5. I agree with the OPINION of the earlier Texas fan that almost all coaches in the nation would pick UT over ATM if both options were available.

(In the spirit of causing trouble) I would go further to say, if Fran had the option in 2003 of UT or ATM, he would pick UT. Sorry guys, but we have several enormous advantages.

-Overall more money to spend on athletics
-Overall nicer facilities (although gap is much closer now)
-Better and longer winning tradition
-Better media exposure
-Austin is viewed by most as a nicer place than B/CS

Of course, most of you will interpret this comment as a slam on your school. Interpreting this opinion to mean that would be like thinking because I thought USC was a better team than Auburn last year to mean that Auburn sucked.

No, I mean ATM has a ton going for it, but UT is generally considered a better job, city, opportunity for a head coach.
APHIS AG
The reason why the tt job is more desirable is because to all those football conference championships!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.