Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Tech is a more desirable coaching job than A&M...

29,087 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seersucker Ag 2011
WestTxAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sentimental Ag,

If you're referring to Wes Kittley in talking about Tech's track coach not wanting to leave to come down here, I'd say that likely has more to do with Tech being a West Texas school that's 2 hours away from all his family in Rule than it does anything else. That's part of the reason why he stayed at Abilene Christian as long as he did and won all those D-II championships. He turned down plenty of D-I offers from all over, but Tech fit him best, being in a major conference and in his optimal location.

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 3/10/2005 2:10p).]
Objective Texasguy
we are talking football not track anyway
ac
UT is probably 1 of the top 5 coaching jobs in the nation. A large university w/huge fan support located in a glamorous city in a state w/unlimited football talent should be competing for the MNC evrey year.

Not that A&M is chopped liver, though. They have much of the same advantages and are certainly within the top 20 jobs nationally.

Tech may not be as good a coaching job as UT or A&M, but its still better than at least half the schools in D1A.

A lot of it is just matter of opinion. If you're a West Texas native and really enjoy it there, you'll think that Tech is the best coaching job in the nation. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

[This message has been edited by ac (edited 3/12/2005 11:22a).]
K-2 Aggie
quote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Which is specifically proven in the Simpson's episode when the tceh term paper is found in the city dgarbage dump.

Here I sit butt cheeks flexin, givin' birth to a baby tcehsan!
Rocco S
You still hitting the bench, brah?
Rocco S
Crap. Thought this was OR
rosshoss00
AG
Only thing tech has better... basketball arena is light years better than reed. That is it, end of discussion.
concac
AG
rosshoss00 said:

Only thing tech has better... basketball arena is light years better than reed. That is it, end of discussion.
You're one of about 3000 Aggies that care about A&M basketball.
rosshoss00
AG
Just saying, that's all they have on us.
Drake aTm
AG
RealTalk said:

rosshoss00 said:

You're one of about 300Aggies that care about A&M basketball.

FIFY
Signel
AG
I love it when fans try to ranks coaching jobs from a FAN perspective... I promise you, coaches don't use the same variables to rank the jobs.

Geriatric Punk
AG
Impressive random bump.
Meximan
AgLaw said:

Ten years from now, tech will look at their little run against us as the Glory Years. And their stadium will still suck.
Meximan
On a related note, this board was so much more civil back in the day. Nowadays, the very first reply would've been, "Tell your friend to EAD."
AggieTFA06
AG
3 straight wins over Texas Tech as we exit the BDF.

Texas Tech is irrelevant in the BDF and has just been blown out by Iowa State with a first year head coach.

Texas Tech is now one conference collapse away from joining either the MWC, AAC, or CUSA
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Flexbone
Rocco S said:

What an idiot.
bmorton
AG
Texas Tech has a water park on campus, with a lazy river. They beat us on that one.

They are just breaking ground I believe on an indoor track, FB practice complex.

When 'the Jones' is packed, and a really good game, I would say it is a good experience, but nothing like Kyle Field. It's often a bit underwhelming. It's just over half the capacity, and when you take your young kids to the game, you have to suffer them hearing the "Bull Sh#t" chant several times a game. That's not really the environment I prefer for my 8 year olds, but they still go with their mother and GPs.

I always laugh when I see their student section, which up to a few years ago was confined to the south end zone (9000 students?). It's expanded to a few more thousand.

United Supermarkets Arena is pretty good, but they can't come close to filling it up. That will change in the future with Chris Beard. Dan Law Field is great park, great experience, but I prefer grass over Turf. Tjey have seriously upgraded it over the past three years. Going to Omaha 2-3 years will get that done.
DL and the BB experience is nothing comparable to what the Ags have at Blue Bell.

My favorite venue at TTU is the soccer stadium. That's the best kept secret in LBK for a great family college sporting experience.

I would trade the dust storms of LBK for the humidity of CS any day. God speed the day, but my wife is from LBK, so I am not sure he answers my prayers. I pray my sons are Aggies.
Al Bula
AG
bmorton said:

I would trade the dust storms of LBK for the humidity of CS any day. God speed the day, but my wife is from LBK, so I am not sure he answers my prayers. I pray my sons are Aggies.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Great bump!

The sad thing is that most people are still as ignorant as the tard fan back in 2005. The measure of a program is how well its fans support it in a 7-5 season.

The best quick-n-dirty stat is stadium size: programs do not build bigger (football) stadiums than they can fill.

Programs with 80k or more are "haves." The only possible exception is Oregon, since Phil Knight's money allows them to operate as if they could fill an 80k stadium.
BigRed12
AG
rwilson said:

I agree that we are probably even with Texas in the regards listed, BUT, we HAVE to start winning again (9+ wins a year) in order to be regarded as on the same level overall. Right now, we aren't. That's a fact.
You do realize our worst season in 5 years is 8 wins. During that time Texas and Tech have both had 2 losing seasons each. Heck, Texas has 3!
fightinag
tacking on an extra year said:

Quote:

I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas job.

how in the hell can you make that gauarantee? you may be trying to look at it objectively but you are still making the statement and therefore your own bias come through. just in the same way as it would if i said "I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas A&M job. unless, of course, you have a scientifically gathered survey.

College Station vs. Austin is the deal breaker !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
ashley
I can't believe not one person has stated one of the very main reasons why the A&M job is better. I've have seen money witch translated to facalities and coaching facilities. I've seen number of alumni but no one has mentioned the other most important one. In some ways when it comes to winning it can be close to the top.
I'll say it. It's a proven fact that recruiters can't get as many of the top skill kids and practically none of the great offensive linemen and black defensive players to move to Lubbock.
Sure they can get QB that want to throw the ball but very few of the others. It's been the same for years. These guys traditionally have gone to us, UT, OU and across the nation.
fightinag
Aston94 said:

Just ask yourself:

Would someone ever voluntarily leave a head coaching job at Alabama for TAMU?

The answer is clearly no, end of discussion.
fify....

One made that mistake ....now he's unemployed !
Agsuffering@bulaw
Ashley, you are correct. Its called the 250 mile rule. 80% of D1 athletes attend college within 250 miles of HS. That is usually my second point after alumni money. I did not get there today.
PJYoung
AG
BigRed12 said:

rwilson said:

I agree that we are probably even with Texas in the regards listed, BUT, we HAVE to start winning again (9+ wins a year) in order to be regarded as on the same level overall. Right now, we aren't. That's a fact.
You do realize our worst season in 5 years is 8 wins. During that time Texas and Tech have both had 2 losing seasons each. Heck, Texas has 3!

Not in 2005 it wasn't.
Rocco S
Flexbone said:

Rocco S said:

What an idiot.

You still hitting the bench?
Brick Tamland
rwilson said:

That's becuase they are winning. We have not been. That figures into it. Who cares really anyway. We have our coach, they have theirs. We would all prefer the coach we have over theirs. Period.

Macon Brown >>>>>>>>>>> huge pile of **** >>>>>>>> Fran
Brick Tamland
MaroonBlood05 said:

Tech doesn't compare to us in anyway, facilities, coaching, anything. I feel like we're basically even with the sips at this point, although i would like to think that within a few years, we will begin to surpass them in some areas.

Posted 10 months before they won the MNC
Lateralus Ag
AG
ashley said:

I can't believe not one person has stated one of the very main reasons why the A&M job is better. I've have seen money witch translated to facalities and coaching facilities. I've seen number of alumni but no one has mentioned the other most important one. In some ways when it comes to winning it can be close to the top.
I'll say it. It's a proven fact that recruiters can't get as many of the top skill kids and practically none of the great offensive linemen and black defensive players to move to Lubbock.
Sure they can get QB that want to throw the ball but very few of the others. It's been the same for years. These guys traditionally have gone to us, UT, OU and across the nation.

Are you saying black people don't like Lubbock? Please clarify.

White people don't like Lubbock either.

bmorton
AG
RPM said:

bmorton said:

Assh****, you misread that. I hate dust storms. I am sick of the color brown. I would much rather be in CS, which is why I said I would trade dust storms FOR humidity.
Texan1976
rwilson said:

That's becuase they are winning. We have not been. That figures into it. Who cares really anyway. We have our coach, they have theirs. We would all prefer the coach we have over theirs. Period.

Texas went undefeated and won a national title 9 months later. Good call on Fran v. Mack.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Texan1976 said:

rwilson said:

Texas went undefeated and won a national title 9 months later. Good call on Fran v. Mack.

Definitely fair.

By the same token, we got to listen to sip fans for 2+ years telling everybody how many national championships Charlie Strong was gonna win.

Just like we're hearing now with Hermann (to a lesser degree, admittedly).
WestTexasAg
AG
rosshoss00 said:

Agreed.
Flexbone
Texan1976 said:

rwilson said:

I'd love to see some of this guy's "predictions" on Charlie Strong.
WestTexasAg
AG
bmorton said:

Texas Tech has a water park on campus, with a lazy river. They beat us on that one.

They are just breaking ground I believe on an indoor track, FB practice complex.

When 'the Jones' is packed, and a really good game, I would say it is a good experience, but nothing like Kyle Field. It's often a bit underwhelming. It's just over half the capacity, and when you take your young kids to the game, you have to suffer them hearing the "Bull Sh#t" chant several times a game. That's not really the environment I prefer for my 8 year olds, but they still go with their mother and GPs.

I always laugh when I see their student section, which up to a few years ago was confined to the south end zone (9000 students?). It's expanded to a few more thousand.

United Supermarkets Arena is pretty good, but they can't come close to filling it up. That will change in the future with Chris Beard. Dan Law Field is great park, great experience, but I prefer grass over Turf. Tjey have seriously upgraded it over the past three years. Going to Omaha 2-3 years will get that done.
DL and the BB experience is nothing comparable to what the Ags have at Blue Bell.

My favorite venue at TTU is the soccer stadium. That's the best kept secret in LBK for a great family college sporting experience.

I am jealous of their basketball arena. Can't believe it was built at the same time as Reed. Twice as nice. Dan Law Field has improved greatly the past few years, but it isn't near as nice as Blue Bell. Still a good venue.

Agreed on the soccer facility. My daughters and I have attended a few games and camps there. It's nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.