Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Tech is a more desirable coaching job than A&M...

28,802 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Seersucker Ag 2011
rwilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At least that's what some Tech undergrad in the Rec told me today. After I spit water through my nose and fell of the bench-press, I told him he was absolutely correct. Isn't he?
Andrew99
AG
I think you should compare coach salary, assistant coach salaries, stadium design, facilities quality, winning tradition and fan support in order to determine which coaching job is better.

I'm not certain about facilities, but I'm pretty sure we have them beat on everything else. I don't think it's even close to compare the two.

Comparing A&M to tu would be much more interesting. They have a better winning tradition, but we're not far behind. I think we have a better fan base, but I'm sure they'd disagree. I think we are close on facilities, but we're in an arms race there. Stadium design is comparable, although I prefer ours of course, and we're in an arms race here too. I'm not sure about salaries though, but I think Fran is likely to get a nice bump if we start getting in the top 10 consistently again.
rwilson
Andrew, there isn't a single thing that A&M is behind, or even equal to Tech in. Including facilities. That's why we get the better players.
FedexAggie
AG
let's put it this way as soon as some moderate school come knocking from any other major conference, leach is gone.
MaroonBlood05
Tech doesn't compare to us in anyway, facilities, coaching, anything. I feel like we're basically even with the sips at this point, although i would like to think that within a few years, we will begin to surpass them in some areas.
rwilson
I agree that we are probably even with Texas in the regards listed, BUT, we HAVE to start winning again (9+ wins a year) in order to be regarded as on the same level overall. Right now, we aren't. That's a fact.
Aggie_26
S

[This message has been edited by Aggie_26 (edited 3/7/2005 11:22p).]
suture_scissors
AG
rwilson - are you an aggie or not?

quote:
I told him he was absolutely correct. Isn't he?

I'm confused...
rwilson
Yes. It was a joke.
mts6175
AG
APHIS AG
I know that this the football forum but didn't Knight actually call USC asking for a shot at their coaching vacancy? In other words, he wants out.
rwilson
I don't really know. The fans here claim he didn't; that he LOVES Lubbock and would never want to leave. I have serious doubts that if offered that job, he wouldn't take it.
sentimental ag
I believe A&M is of course the better coaching job.

That said, Tech is a far better job than it once was. Their new facilities are really quite good.

While they haven't won it all, it's a fairly firmly established program in that they've been bowl eligible now for something like 10 straight years. There's not a lot of jobs nation-wide that pay significantly more than Leach is currently making.

Their coaches aren't clamoring to get out of Lubbock. Marsha Sharp, multiple conference and tourney titles and a NC--didn't go anywhere.

Larry Hays, 1400 career wins and conference title and tourney championship (as well as no.1 national ranking at one point) didn't go anywhere.

James Dickey, after his sweet 16 appearance, didn't go anywhere of his own free will. Very little coaching turnover out there even after some success.
Y02
We got us a ringer folks.
sentimental ag
Well, if it's me you're referring to, I'm no ringer I assure you. What part of my post is untrue?

And again, let me repeat, A&M is the better coaching job.

[This message has been edited by sentimental ag (edited 3/8/2005 1:30a).]
rwilson
Like it's even up for debate. Please. Who in their right mind (Tech fans don't fall into this category) would even TRY to make a case for such nonsense. If it was even close, then it might be worth arguing about.
Austin_Aggie_13
Where would you rather play? Which stadium does NOT look like a big Texas high school stadium?

Jock 97
I can honestly say I have never met a more delusional group of misguided folk than the dirt monkeys of West Texas. They're a quarter century behind the nation in academics, and outside of a semidecent United Spirit Arena, everything about tceh and Lubbuttocks sucks royaly.
MSCAg
AG
If nothing else, would you rather move your family to College Station, small but with pretty much every major store chain you could need (best buy, target, etc etc) and pretty much within 3 hours of every major Texas city (Houston only being a quick 1-1/2 hour drive.

Or Lubbock, also with most big name stores, but not much beyond that. And pretty much 5-6 hours from any major Texas city (unless you're talking about Amarillo
AgLaw
AG
Ten years from now, tech will look at their little run against us as the Glory Years. And their stadium will still suck.
aggiephoenix02
BEAT THE HELL OUTTA texas tech!!!!
FARMER, FARMERS WE'RE ALRIGHT!!!

Corps of Cadets
Company K-1
Class of 2002
aggiephoenix02
BEAT THE HELL OUTTA DIRT MONKEYS!!!
SIT DOWN BUSDRIVER!!!
Hedley_Lamarr

technical sucks ass

[This message has been edited by Hedley_Lamarr (edited 3/8/2005 8:45a).]
Bocephus
AG
we have the best facilities in the nation

"Sometimes a guy will go down, and I'll let him scream a bit to destroy the morale of his buddies," said the Marine corporal. "Then I'll use a second shot."
-Sniper in Iraq
Steve Keathley 89
AG
Let's see, objectively?

No
HumanitariAg
AG
If we put in a kick-arse indoor practice facility, we will be up there at the top. Until then, top 15 or so.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
"Sometimes a guy will go down, and I'll let him scream a bit to destroy the morale of his buddies," said the Marine corporal. "Then I'll use a second shot."
-Sniper in Iraq

Where did you get that quote?

Snipers (should) never shoot twice...
AMF 2 AMC
AG
No contest between the two models, and ours doesn't even show jolly G. Rollie!

I would like to see the same model with the Bright Complex added
KatyRaider
The model of Jones is also a few years out of date, and doesn't show our recently added suites/pressbox
Office Linebacker
I agree that Tech is being delusional about Tech being a more attractive job than A&M, but some of you guys are being just as delusional in your thinking that A&M is just as attractive as The University of Texas. I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas job.
tacking on an extra year
quote:
I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas job.

how in the hell can you make that gauarantee? you may be trying to look at it objectively but you are still making the statement and therefore your own bias come through. just in the same way as it would if i said "I guarantee you that salaries being equal, the vast majority of coaches nationally would prefer the Texas A&M job. unless, of course, you have a scientifically gathered survey.

gmf_aggie
laughable. this entire discussion is asinine.

i would say honestly (after taking off maroon colored glasses) that the ranking as of today is tu, atm, tceh. any normal person could make an arguement for or against atm and tu, but TCEH? come on.
suture_scissors
AG
aggiebird02 - shut the hell up.
Office Linebacker
You guys need to stop using Texas as a yardstick for every single thing. I never meant to put down the A&M job. Without a doubt, it is a very very attractive job, one of the top 20 in the nation. But whether you like it or not, Texas is consistently mentioned as a top 5 coaching destination.
rwilson
That's becuase they are winning. We have not been. That figures into it. Who cares really anyway. We have our coach, they have theirs. We would all prefer the coach we have over theirs. Period.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.