Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Donor decisions

11,482 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by spherical
Upperdeck Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe there is an old Aggie out there who could refresh my memory about replacing the late Tom Wilson in 1982 with the hiring of Jackie Sherrill . I recall the late Bum Bright was the person on the BOR who led the decision to fire Coach Wilson and had already hired Jackie Sherrill to be the new HC. It seemed to happen rapidly.

Coach Wilson was a good guy and coached Kubiak, Ray Childress, and Jacob Green. He was 21-19 overall with a 2-2 record against tu and 2 bowl wins.
runontexas
AG
NyAggie
AG
beerad12man said:

Flashdiaz said:

Nationwide searches and BOR should be disbanded if 9 old ags who's qualifications are having lots of money are making all the important decisions.
Pretty sure that's every school. You think anyone is hiring if their top donors will cut off funding?

They also aren't making decisions. They just have to be on board to donate. And why not? Would you donate millions even if you have the money but hated a hire?

Yep

All schools operate this way

If you're on the board do you A, say screw the donors and thus severely cripple your new hire, almost ensuring he won't have the resources to succeed

Or B listen to your donors and have a fully funded program with a coach everyone can get behind and support?

No brainer
AG
runontexas said:

Those four little SOBs voted for Stoops
yell_on_6th st
AG
4 said:

runontexas said:

Those four little SOBs voted for Stoops

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
crains611vet
AG
Bjork should be fired for trying to get Stoops then for lying about how it happened that he didn't get hired. He kept changing the story to "look at the end of the day…." which means ignore that I almost hired a mediocre coach because I don't know what I am doing.
Ag Tag
Fatboy Thaddeus said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation
Underrated post
It would be illegal and highly dangerous to violate a hippo.
Proposition Joe
I think we collectively felt this way about these last few seasons:

amercer
AG
Ag Tag said:

Fatboy Thaddeus said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation
Underrated post

Not in Haiti

(Well everything is a little dangerous there)
TexasAggiesWin
S
You sure the "patient" wasn't pumped full of anesthesia? Or Coors Light?
agent-maroon
AG
Gang of nine? More like the gang of nein, amirite?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

DO NOT EVER QUESTION THE WISDOM OF THE 9
It's laughable that some people still buy into silly conspiracy theories about the imaginary so-called Nonagon.

Why did I call it the "Nonagon?" Wut? i didn't say that; you said that. I've never even heard of any "Nonagon."
I don't know what you're talking about.
AG
Is a brother arguing with.... himself??
Mule
AG
Until "The Nine" becomes "The Twelve," we are screwed.
Texas Aggies
sharpdressedman
4 said:

Flashdiaz said:

Nationwide searches and BOR should be disbanded if 9 old ags who's qualifications are having lots of money are making all the important decisions.

Except in this circumstance, THEY were the ones preventing the bad decisions.

Glad they were there.
This.

And, RB appears to be incompetent, a rogue, less than truthful, or some combination of the three.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

How was this vote conducted? Did they gather around a conference table like in the Godfather? Or was it a Zoom meeting? Maybe an email chain?
An L of an Ag
AG
See, the LOTR thing was on the right track, but these 9 BOR dudes need to be known as the Nazgl , or if we're gonna Aggie-fy this: NAgZul

Edit: autocorrect doesn't recognize Orcish
Ags4DaWin
33 said:

TBoneAg said:

... we were one person away from having another mediocre coach...

How do you know this? Fisher was a mediocre coach at A&M. How do we know Elko is not a mediocre coach?

In two years he made Duke relevant.

Duke.

He developed A&M into the #3 defense in the country despite the fact that Jimbo's offense left the defense on the field for far too long.

I think we can be fairly certain.
PWR85
AG
So if one of the top 9 donors told you that story was BS would that make a difference? It doesn't work that way.

The Banned
33 said:

TBoneAg said:

... we were one person away from having another mediocre coach...

How do you know this? Fisher was a mediocre coach at A&M. How do we know Elko is not a mediocre coach?

The truth is that there is no certainty in any of this. Very few coaches have performed at a high level at multiple schools. (Urban Meyer comes to mind)

Time will tell; but I am hopeful that Elko is the right guy.

You're correct in saying we don't know if we have a mediocre coach. But we would know with 100% confidence we had a mediocre coach had stoops been hired
StinkyPinky
AG
Ag Tag said:

Fatboy Thaddeus said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation
Underrated post

Nm, I give up…
91AggieLawyer
AG
crains611vet said:

Bjork should be fired for trying to get Stoops then for lying about how it happened that he didn't get hired. He kept changing the story to "look at the end of the day…." which means ignore that I almost hired a mediocre coach because I don't know what I am doing.

While I agree about the integrity issues, IF it is true that he even considered Stoops, he isn't who we need as AD. PERIOD.

The fact that Stoops would even be in any mix blows my mind. I mean, if everyone we originally wanted turns us down, we go coordinator, and that isn't even in question. If Stoops was truly the only choice out there, we stay with ERob.
dreyOO
crains611vet said:

Bjork should be fired for trying to get Stoops.
Fixed it for you. That's enough that he damn sure should be fired.

He really strikes me as a poser. Primping for the cameras when he should be getting the best damn coach available.
Aggie1188
Flashdiaz said:

you better thank god for 5 of them, or else Mark Stoops would be our coach and we'd be going 8-4 for another decade. I mean good lord. Without those 5 regents or wealthy donors, Bjork was choosing a mediocre coach.
WC94
AG
Colombia has begun sterilizing an invasive herd of hippos dominating rivers near Hacienda Npoles, the former estate of drug lord Pablo Escobar. The roughly 170 hippopotamuses are descended from the four that Escobar illegally imported in the 1980s to live in his private zoo.

Hippos live in and around the water. They are fiercely territorial and aggressively protect their territory from perceived threats. Hippos can run 20 miles per hour and have massive jaws with 20-inch tusks that look like huge teeth. Hippos kill around 3,000 humans each year.
Change Detection
AG
I think I would rather donors made decisions than bureaucrats.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
My concern is who were the 4 who thought it was a good idea to hire Stoops in the first place? That whole Stoops deal was embarrassing.
PWR85
AG
Again, this story is a total fabrication. It never happened. That's not how it works. It's not how any of this works.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
PWR85 said:

Again, this story is a total fabrication. It never happened. That's not how it works. It's not how any of this works.

This guy isnt one of the 9.
PGAG
AG
WC94 said:

Colombia has begun sterilizing an invasive herd of hippos dominating rivers near Hacienda Npoles, the former estate of drug lord Pablo Escobar. The roughly 170 hippopotamuses are descended from the four that Escobar illegally imported in the 1980s to live in his private zoo.

Hippos live in and around the water. They are fiercely territorial and aggressively protect their territory from perceived threats. Hippos can run 20 miles per hour and have massive jaws with 20-inch tusks that look like huge teeth. Hippos kill around 3,000 humans each year.

I'll have what he's having.
Aginnebraska
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Well the BOR is spending other peoples money,...and IF I were one of those "other people" whose money is being spent, I think its reasonable to expect some input on those decisions.

If the BOR is spending state dollars, that is one thing...if they want a blank check into my bank account,...then they better consult me on the decision.
spherical
AG
Assuming this isn't made up- Hope your patient isn't ever on texags… cause this would be pretty obvious…
TyperWoods
Any embarassment we feel over this is directly related to the media rushing to be first with the story, and whoever is leaking **** to them.

spherical
AG
Well apparently drs of BMAs are suspect
agdad4x
damn, I must have missed my call about the booster meeting - there should have been 10 of us
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.