Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Donor decisions

11,284 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by spherical
TBoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my patients is a high end donor to Texas A&M football. He told me 5 out of the 9 high end donors voted to not hire Stoops and that was the final decision for the BOR. That makes me feel a little eerie that we were one person away from having another mediocre coach. I thanked him about 20 times for voting him out.
Flashdiaz
AG
Nationwide searches and BOR should be disbanded if 9 old ags who's qualifications are having lots of money are making all the important decisions.
The Banned
Can't vouch for your story, but it makes perfect sense. I genuinely believe that's the direction Bjork wanted to go. He should be gone
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
DO NOT EVER QUESTION THE WISDOM OF THE 9
TBoneAg
Flashdiaz said:

Nationwide searches and BOR should be disbanded if 9 old ags who's qualifications are having lots of money are making all the important decisions.

I totally agree. I just listened to Billy on Staples and he somewhat confirmed what I said. Pretty darn ridiculous. But then again, so was Stoops being a candidate
Leeman
Are these the same people who extended Fisher ?
greg.w.h
AG
It's pretty clear there was an effort to try a more traditional hiring process this time, but the leak was because someone decided to throw a sabot in that process. Bjork doesn't have the relationships if 5 of 9 voted no to his recommendation…
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Hippo violation
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Here is the picture of the meeting

Bill Superman
AG
At least we know we have 5 smart guys in the room, ending up making the right hire, and still have some money left in the bank considering how much Mark Stoopid would have cost.
Ugly
AG
Regardless of the truth of this, I am now going to blame every mishap in Texas A&M football on The Nine.
TBoneAg
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation

Yes because I said his name and diagnosis… lol I know you are kidding
beerad12man
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Pretty sure that's every school. You think anyone is hiring if their top donors will cut off funding?

They also aren't making decisions. They just have to be on board to donate. And why not? Would you donate millions even if you have the money but hated a hire?
TBoneAg
Leeman said:

Are these the same people who extended Fisher ?

Yes it is, plus RC
concac
AG
TBoneAg said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation

Is your patient a fatass?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Good lord..

Sure, it's bad enough 4 of them voted yes but what search committee landed on Stoops????
twk
AG
TBoneAg said:

One of my patients is a high end donor to Texas A&M football. He told me 5 out of the 9 high end donors voted to not hire Stoops and that was the final decision for the BOR. That makes me feel a little eerie that we were one person away from having another mediocre coach. I thanked him about 20 times for voting him out.
Sorry, but I think your story is a little flimsy here.

There is no doubt that some big donors let the regents know that they didn't want Stoops, but the donors didn't vote on it. I'm not sure the regents even voted on it. At the end of the day, after hearing from the regents (who heard from the donors), we went in another direction.
TBoneAg
RealTalk said:

TBoneAg said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation

Nope just a grouchy rich old man
TBoneAg said:

... we were one person away from having another mediocre coach...

How do you know this? Fisher was a mediocre coach at A&M. How do we know Elko is not a mediocre coach?

The truth is that there is no certainty in any of this. Very few coaches have performed at a high level at multiple schools. (Urban Meyer comes to mind)

Time will tell; but I am hopeful that Elko is the right guy.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
concac
AG
TBoneAg said:

RealTalk said:

TBoneAg said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation

Nope just a grouchy rich old man

Better keep him alive!!
TBoneAg
twk said:

TBoneAg said:

There is no doubt that some big donors let the regents know that they didn't want Stoops, but the donors didn't vote on it. I'm not sure the regents even voted on it. At the end of the day, after hearing from the regents (who heard from the donors), we went in another direction.

Ok, why would that be so hard to believe? It's not a bragging idea or prove me wrong story, I could care less if you believe it. All I did was repeat what an old donor told me who has no reason to prop himself up and never has before. The reason I know is because I asked him about the process and he told me. Why is "his" story flimsy?
Double Diamond
What to fix Texas A&M football. Hire an AD and let them do their job. A group of old rich men running the program hasn't ever worked.
TBoneAg
33 said:

TBoneAg said:

... we were one person away from having another mediocre coach...

How do you know this? Fisher was a mediocre coach at A&M. How do we know Elko is not a mediocre coach?

The truth is that there is no certainty in any of this. Very few coaches have performed at a high level at multiple schools. (Urban Meyer comes to mind)

Time will tell; but I am hopeful that Elko is the right guy.

He maybe an average coach just like our last 6. However, to me and most others the variables and past of Elko point to a coach that can succeed with any given talent and program
TBoneAg said:

He maybe an average coach just like our last 6. However, to me and most others the variables and past of Elko point to a coach that can succeed with any given talent and program
What did you think when the last 6 were hired?
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Fatboy Thaddeus
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hippo violation
Underrated post
mustang1234
Double Diamond said:

What to fix Texas A&M football. Hire an AD and let them do their job. A group of old rich men running the program hasn't ever worked.
Bear Bryant used to call them 'jock-sniffers"
Fatboy Thaddeus
Quote:

9 high end donors
I have no trouble going along with the high end donors' wishes. Maybe even in 2011 this was open to questioning. But nowadays, with arms races everywhere from NIL to facilities to "analyst" staffs, neutralize the BMAs' passion for Aggie football and we will fall downwards into the same bucket with Auburn, Florida, etc. I'm surprised Bjork didn't factor in their preferences more adeptly, and IMO that's enough to say he's marked timber from here on out.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Good lord..

Sure, it's bad enough 4 of them voted yes but what search committee landed on Stoops????

Probably the one that had certain parameters like 'available now' as a major criterion. Having to wait until after the playoffs for a candidate and still run the risk of them saying no was not an option.
twk
AG
TBoneAg said:

twk said:

TBoneAg said:

Ok, why would that be so hard to believe? It's not a bragging idea or prove me wrong story, I could care less if you believe it. All I did was repeat what an old donor told me who has no reason to prop himself up and never has before. The reason I know is because I asked him about the process and he told me. Why is "his" story flimsy?

How was this vote conducted? Did they gather around a conference table like in the Godfather? Or was it a Zoom meeting? Maybe an email chain? It's a ludicrous suggestion.

The fact is that if it had been only four donors opposed, that would have made a difference in today's world, if its the right four donors. There is no secret council of BMA's, but there are some very important contributors who fund, among other things, our NIL operation. If enough of those guys won't support a coach, it doesn 't matter whether they are in a minority or a majority.
TBoneAg
Not sure how it was conducted. From the sounds of it he was on the phone under stress for 3 or 4 days straight according to his house keeper who drives him to the office. I'm sure they all phoned each other and voiced their opinions with one another and with Bjork and a few others. I know that RC and Jackie were a part of the process in some manner as well but not sure to what extent. I know that he is really good buds with Sherrill.
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Except in this circumstance, THEY were the ones preventing the bad decisions.

Glad they were there.
AG
Double Diamond said:

Same exact situation at Auburn, yet they've won two national championships and played in at least three.
Flashdiaz
AG
didn't say I didn't agree with the decision. Just what's the point if The Nine are in charge?

and I always thought it was the Pentaverate that was in charge, 2 of which have now gone tits up.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Geez! I cant tell my doctor anything without it being talked about all over Texags!
rebelAg02
Flashdiaz said:

This is why our program has underperformed for decades

It's like having 9 nameless Jerry Jones types influencing decisions and eroding accountability

Would rather have seen the AD make this call and then hold him accountable for the results. If Elko doesn't work out can't blame Bjork.

That said Bjork should have got feedback on Stoops before making the decision. How hard is it to talk to a few of these big donors and Luicci to throw that idea out first to see what they think the reception would be before taking steps towards securing it. That's stakeholder management 101.

I'm excited about Elko but our model for handing coaching hires at A&M is broken. Don't see things really changing till this is better.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.